Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: 06 Jetta TDI Block Heater

1. 01-29-2008 07:51 PM #1
      Do the TDI's come with a block heater?? I never looked and never asked the dealer when I bought it. I live in Canada too, if that matters. I live in Newfoundland and most days are COLD, like -15 and it's real hard starting, also takes for ever to warm up.

Thanks.

2. Member
      Vehicles
      2K6 1K2 BRM / 2K8 7L6 BWF / 85 19 MF
      01-29-2008 08:21 PM #2
      There is no block heater. Instead there is additional electric cabin heater. Turn your climatic to max and it should work immediately.

01-29-2008 08:23 PM #3
      Quote, originally posted by maloosheck »
      There is no block heater. Instead there is additional electric cabin heater. Turn your climatic to max and it should work immediately.

A block heater is meant for the engine...usually deisels since the fuel has a harder time firing in cold weather.

4. 01-29-2008 08:27 PM #4
      Quote, originally posted by jxmoth »

A block heater is meant for the engine...usually deisels since the fuel has a harder time firing in cold weather.

Yeah, I don't understand why they didn't come stock in TDI's, especially in Northern and Eastern Canada?

01-29-2008 08:42 PM #5
      Quote, originally posted by K2Golf2.0 »

Yeah, I don't understand why they didn't come stock in TDI's, especially in Northern and Eastern Canada?

Honestly, I'm unsure if they're included or not. I was always under the impression that a block heater is present on all diesel vehicles.

Someone is bound to give the definitive answer.

6. Member
      Vehicles
      2005.5 MKV TDI
      01-29-2008 08:45 PM #6
      Quote, originally posted by jxmoth »

Honestly, I'm unsure if they're included or not. I was always under the impression that a block heater is present on all diesel vehicles.

Someone is bound to give the definitive answer.

OK, I will give you the answer.
      No block heater, no freeze plugs.
      The TDI will start right up in everything that Michigan throws at it.
      FrostHeater makes a nice Coolant heater, a viable option.

http://www.frostheater.com/

Modified by Tim Birney at 8:51 PM 1-29-2008

Rain Closing Windows, goF raeR, Aspherical Mirrors, Remote Windows, Amber Club

7. 01-29-2008 08:52 PM #7
      Quote, originally posted by Tim Birney »

OK, I will give you the answer.
      No block heater, no freeze plugs.
      The TDI will start right up in everything that Michigan throws at it.
      FrostHeater makes a nice Coolant heater, a viable option.

Well my Diesel knows it freezing out when it struggles to start. So to say that your TDI will start ok does not mean that others won't. There are more advantages to having them to not having it. I have looked at the Frostheater one, looks like I will go with that one.

Thanks.

8. 01-29-2008 10:21 PM #8
      block heaters mandatory in Manitoba.
      07 GLI; BPY 6speed. Revo st2+, APR hpfp, eBay DP. CIM boost gauge. rev "D" DV
      Koni Sport shocks, Neuspeed Sport springs.

Vehicles
      2006 Jetta TDI
      01-30-2008 12:13 AM #9
      I installed a "tdi-heater" from Terry at frostheater.com before this winter set in. I've never had a problem starting cold, as it's very mild here. It has never dipped below 15F here this winter.
      With the coolant heater plugged into a timer, set to turn on 3hrs before I leave for work yields temp gauge straight-up when started, then slowly goes down to 1/3.
      My reason for the purchase/install was not for easier starting, but because warm-starts are much better on the engine and will surely reduce wear.
      tdi-heater is A+ recommended and is a snap to install... well, more like 2hrs in the cold removing the skid-plate, clamping the coolant hose to reduce the amount getting in your eyes, then installing the bracket and new hose. Instructions and hardware are included in the kit.

10. 01-30-2008 07:37 AM #10
      Thanks Soothappens. most likely will be getting it.

11. 01-30-2008 08:17 AM #11
      My buddy has the frostheater.com unit on his '99 TDI. While its not been in the negatives around here, the heater has allowed him to have virtually no starting issues like he was experiencing from failing glow plugs, ie fewer cranks and less smoke. Additionally he now has heat before almost reaching work ~30min away