Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Clunking sound from my rear passenger wheel (mkiv gti)

1. 01-30-2008 04:02 PM #1
      I just put a new suspension on my mkiv gti. everything seemed to work great untill 4 or 5 days after. I am hearing a hard clunking sound when I go over bumps. I looked under the car and everything seems to be seated right. Any ideas on what it might be?

2. Member
      01-30-2008 04:43 PM #2
      As per the FAQ: "99% of the time, it's a loose 16mm bolt on the shock- there are 3 of them per side [i.e. two on the top mount, one at the bottom of the shock]."

Do a quick test: (a) jack up the problematic corner of the car (don't use the jack in the trunk, if you can help it); (b) reach behind the wheel and grab the lower portion of the strut; (c) give it a good, hard 'wiggle'; if you can move it in its bracket enough to hear any noise at all, that bolt might simply need another quarter turn (spec, IIRC, is 44lbs + 1/4 turn).

(Oo)=R32==W======(oO)

3. Banned
      01-30-2008 05:06 PM #3
      BTW the other 1% of the time, its a bad rear shock mount. There is a rubber bushing that sits inside the metal casing and sometimes it wears out and detaches. This can cause clunking. Only solution is to replace the mount.

You can also remove the shock from the car and try tightening the upper retaining nut. You need to hold the strut shaft in place with an allen wrench while tightening otherwise the whole assembly will just spin. I neglected to mention that in the FAQ.

Some Bilstein and Koni shocks have a special sleeve - sorta like a bushing or bearing, that fits around the end of the shock. If that little sleeve is missing or is worn you could also get clunking, but usually its from loose bolts of the worn mount itself.

4. 01-30-2008 06:20 PM #4
      thanks for the help, when your talk about the strut mount you are talking about the bushing on the lower end of the strut? ie on the end closest to the road? I dont recall any rubber parts on the other end

5. Banned
      01-30-2008 06:24 PM #5
      Quote, originally posted by konko41 »
      thanks for the help, when your talk about the strut mount you are talking about the bushing on the lower end of the strut? ie on the end closest to the road? I dont recall any rubber parts on the other end

No its on the top part close to the gastank. You can't see the rubber, its actually a big metal mount as big as your hand with rubber inside. They cost about $20 at the VW dealer. It looks like it has 3 holes for bolts, but only two of them are used.

Modified by phatvw at 3:25 PM 1-30-2008

6. 01-30-2008 07:53 PM #6
      gotcha thanks

7. 01-31-2008 05:53 PM #7
      So I checked the mounts ontop and bottom. Everything is snug and looks good. It is still making the clunking sound. I am out of ideas, would a worn out bearing make that sound. It sucks having a clean good looking well running car that sounds like the rear axle is gonna fall off of.

8. Banned
      01-31-2008 06:02 PM #8
      Try replacing the mount or swapping shocks from left to right and see if the noise follows.

9. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 GTI 1996 Passat wagon RIP
      01-31-2008 10:23 PM #9

Like phatvw said, check the rear mounts - they may appear to be fine, when in fact they are considerably worn and due for replacement.

I've been there before; I was in denial that my rear mounts were bad, since I had just changed my suspension less than a year ago. Everything looked ok...it wasn't until I replaced the mounts that the clunk went away and I had a nice quiet ride again

10. 02-01-2008 04:44 PM #10
      Ok thanks creeper

11. 04-28-2008 01:34 PM #11
      Quote, originally posted by grammaticus »
      As per the FAQ: "99% of the time, it's a loose 16mm bolt on the shock- there are 3 of them per side [i.e. two on the top mount, one at the bottom of the shock]."

Thanks for that. I've been enduring bad clunking and rattling from my rear suspension for a couple of years now, and had thought I had just gotten a bad set of Konis. After reading that, I took a wrench or two to the lower shock mounting bolt, gave them a good tighten, and now it's quiet again.

I used a combination wrench on the outside nut, letting it brace against the ground while I tightened the bolt on the inside. Just used a standard socket wrench, but gave it all I had.

The nuts are single-use lock nuts, and I *have* been using them over and over; maybe it's time I invested in some new ones?

--Chris

Vehicles
      02 99 1.8T Passat Variant, Audi B5 A4 Avant tqm
      04-28-2008 02:16 PM #12
      My Konis rattled a little in the back. I double checked everything, especially torquing the lower bolt with the car on the ground.

But the noise continued, and I realized that the bolt was a hair smaller than the shocks' mounting holes.

I disconnected the lower bolts, put a layer of pipe tape (PTFE) on the bolts, reinstalled, and voila, no more noise.

Vehicles
      MK4 GOLF .. PROJECT EURO/16V
      03-04-2013 03:40 AM #13
      im having this rattle noise to I just ordered rear strut mounts maybe I will add a little tape to ensure no more noise ...
      Just living it. ITS A DUB LIFE! VWVW
      MK4 Build Thred http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...ew-Project-..-)
      IF YOUR IN THE EUGENE OR AREA CHECK US OUT www.EugeneEuroz.com