Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: HOW TO Thread - Importing a car from USA

1. 05-08-2008 12:44 PM #26
      Quote, originally posted by alphazero »
      What's the differences making a private purchase (from an individual)?
      And we pretty much assume that the vehicle is purchased out-right... a Canuck couldn't possibly get a VW Credit loan on a US purchased vehicle (or any other)?!

All the info for a private purchase should be above, try re-reading the post.

Question: has anybody imported a 'kit car' with a 'self-assebled' title?

2. 05-18-2008 03:27 AM #27
      Quote, originally posted by Bugs »

you are correct. But if you want to actually drive the vehicle, you need to do it. (depending on province)

I will be crossing the border in November. i plan on putting my car in storage as soon as i get in country. Do i still have to get it e-tested? or even saftey for that matter?

3. 05-20-2008 12:08 PM #28
      I know someone who has come from south africa a few years ago and brought his mk2 race car with him. The car was stored in a container with his belonging packed in and around the car so no one had seen or even asked if he had a car.
      He would like to get it on the road and he cannot because he does not have the proper documentation . They want to crush it!
      What can he do? What papers to file?

4. 05-20-2008 09:00 PM #29
      Quote, originally posted by 20thNo1967 »
      I will be crossing the border in November. i plan on putting my car in storage as soon as i get in country. Do i still have to get it e-tested? or even saftey for that matter?

No. You can satisfy all the federal importation requirements without having to deal with the e-test, safety inspection, etc.. You'll clear those hurdles when/if you want to register the car for road use. Make a point of calling your insurance company to verify you have coverage for unlicensed vehicles in storage.

5. 05-23-2008 12:10 AM #30
      Quote, originally posted by chuckDD »
      No. You can satisfy all the federal importation requirements without having to deal with the e-test, safety inspection, etc.. You'll clear those hurdles when/if you want to register the car for road use. Make a point of calling your insurance company to verify you have coverage for unlicensed vehicles in storage.

Do you have to have insurance on a stored vehicle in ontario?

6. 05-25-2008 09:09 AM #31
      Quote, originally posted by 20thNo1967 »

Do you have to have insurance on a stored vehicle in ontario?

I don't believe there's a legal requirement for that. If it were me, I wouldn't go without. My concern isn't the vehicle but the liability side of it.

Vehicles
      Sciroccos C30 SR71
      06-15-2008 03:24 PM #32
      September 2007, US Customs at Champlain/Lacolle asked me to get the original title, no fax when I imported my 1981 Scirocco.
      If your car is 15 years or older, the process is simpler. No recall letter, and a few other details.
      Quote Originally Posted by Mk1Madness
      Back when making your car faster and better handling was the big thing.
      Quote Originally Posted by Eistreiber
      Yeah, I prefer slow-cooked bacon; and bacon grease saved is great for frying other stuff, adds some good flavor to almost anything. Except maybe tofu, that stuff is beyond help.
      Quote Originally Posted by Tavarish
      The car's best safety feature includes ejecting you in the moment of impact and wishing you the best of luck.

8. 06-17-2008 08:48 AM #33
      Quote, originally posted by Mtl-Marc »
      September 2007, US Customs at Champlain/Lacolle asked me to get the original title, no fax when I imported my 1981 Scirocco.

I had the same experience with US Customs at Ogdensburg, NY: they wanted the original title plus 2 copies. Always call the Customs office you'll be passing through well ahead of time and verify their requirements.

Vehicles
      24v
      06-26-2008 10:31 PM #34
      Does anyone know of a border thats open on the weekends cloes to Buffalo?
      Im assuming peace/queenston is only monday-friday 8-4?
      What about fort Erie?
      I really dont feel like driving from buffalo to kingston or Port Huron Sarnia
      Suggestions?
      How long does it take to get a Recall letter?

Vehicles
      24v
      06-27-2008 08:51 AM #35
      Just to add to the thread, here is a good link for contact numbers at borders in NY
      http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/too...1.xml
      Note: NONE of the NY borders are open for vehicle exports on weekends. Hours are ONLY M-F 8am-4pm
      Port Huron and Detroit are the only 24/7 borders

11. 06-27-2008 10:36 AM #36
      Quote, originally posted by Zuber Speed »
      How long does it take to get a Recall letter?

What kind of vehicle? Check with RIV, but a print-out from a dealer on dealer letterhead stating "no open recalls" may suffice.

Vehicles
      24v
      06-27-2008 10:52 AM #37
      What kind of vehicle? Check with RIV, but a print-out from a dealer on dealer letterhead stating "no open recalls" may suffice.

VW
      They said, could take up to 7 business days, but doesnt usually take that long
      I need one by next weekend. If i dont have one by wednesday, then I'll call around at dealers.
      The guy already told me there are no open recalls on the car, i dont see what takes so damn long

13. 06-27-2008 11:45 AM #38
      VW
      They said, could take up to 7 business days, but doesnt usually take that long
      I need one by next weekend. If i dont have one by wednesday, then I'll call around at dealers.
      The guy already told me there are no open recalls on the car, i dont see what takes so damn long

Are you buying privately? Ask the seller to stop by a US dealer and ask for the print out. They might charge him $20 or some token amount, but it's quicker than waiting on the letter from VW Canada.
      From http://www.riv.ca/english/html/recall_clearance.html :
      Quote »
      A recall clearance letter is a document issued by the original equipment manufacturer (OEM) of your vehicle that states whether or not there are any outstanding recalls on your vehicle. If you are not sure of what a recall is, simply put, it is a safety defect on your vehicle as a result of the original manufacturing process. The OEM is responsible for notifying the last known owner, and fixing the problem normally at their expense. It's best to obtain this information before you import the vehicle to avoid any unnecessary delays.
      The letter must come from the OEM's head office and be written on official company letterhead, duly signed with the name and position of the official at the OEM clearly visible. If the manufacturer's logo is not on the letter it will not be accepted.
      In some cases, we will also accept a printout from an authorized American dealer. If you obtain a printout from an American dealer, you must ensure that they are an authorized dealer and not a re-seller. You can confirm this by calling the head office of the manufacturer and providing them with the location of the dealership in question
      If the printout is from an authorized American dealership, the company stamp must be affixed to the printout. In either case, the 17 digit Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) of the vehicle in question must be included in the letter.
      If your vehicle does not have any outstanding recalls then the letter should say "this vehicle has no outstanding recalls." This letter must be presented to the RIV department prior to your Vehicle Inspection Form being released.

Vehicles
      24v
      06-27-2008 01:49 PM #39
      Are you buying privately? Ask the seller to stop by a US dealer and ask for the print out. They might charge him $20 or some token amount, but it's quicker than waiting on the letter from VW Canada.
      From http://www.riv.ca/english/html/recall_clearance.html :

Awesome!
      My biggest problem is getting the car home on the weekend. Looks im going to have to make the trek from meeting this guy in Buffalo, driving to port-huron, then back home
      so, because queenston is closed on the weekends, what would have been a one hour drive there and then back...is now, one hour there....9 hours back
      any suggestions?

15. 06-27-2008 02:57 PM #40
      Awesome!
      My biggest problem is getting the car home on the weekend. Looks im going to have to make the trek from meeting this guy in Buffalo, driving to port-huron, then back home
      so, because queenston is closed on the weekends, what would have been a one hour drive there and then back...is now, one hour there....9 hours back
      any suggestions?

Get a cheap hotel in Buffalo on Sunday night, cross over back to Canada 1st thing Monday morning?
      I had the same problem when I brought my 330i back from Connecticut. I ended up staying over in Ogdensburg, NY and hitting the customs office when it opened in the morning.

Vehicles
      24v
      06-27-2008 03:20 PM #41
      tossed up that idea
      time off work is the only concern, and a rather big one
      did you buy your bmw new?
      I think for "bill of sale" I'll just type out a letter that is signed by both parties, as long as it includes names, signatures, dates and VIN, thats all that is necessary

17. 06-28-2008 10:10 AM #42
      tossed up that idea
      did you buy your bmw new?

No. It's an '04, bought in Sept '07. The whole story is here: http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=3440316

Vehicles
      02 TDI, 2x84, 1x83, 1x81 Rabbit, 1x80 1x81 1x83 Caddies
      08-16-2008 01:36 PM #43
      Personal experience, 2 times:
      1. summer 2007, bringing a 1983 Caddy across the border at Buffalo: the US let us through with no questions and on the Canadian side they questioned our success at that apparent violation of protocol. "We just left because they told us to". The Canadian side couldn't find the paperwork, and we had to come back the following Monday. It seemed pretty disorganized. On the bright side, Caddy>15 years old = no $196 processing fee, it did have A/C which you get to pay the $100 tax on, even if it doesn't work but we also got it in with no...some tax...because it was built in the US (which shocked the Customs agent) and therefore is exempt under NAFTA . 7% GST paid, if I remember correctly, total bill was something like $160ish.
      2. last week (August 2008). I faxed both the US and Canadian Customs offices at Sault Ste. Marie MI and ON Monday morning from Idaho (1980 Caddy was bought in Spokane, WA but everything was closed Sunday night). I figured it would take me at least 3 days to dolly it back to Ontario with my TDI (and I was right). I got to the Soo, MI US side, and they could not find any trace of the paperwork I had faxed them. My fax confirmation SAVED MY BACON. They saw the correct fax number and admitted it was a slipup, and manually entered the truck information in, and let me through. [IMG]http://**********************/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG] On the Canadian side it was quick...older than 15 years, no A/C, and "oh, by the way, this guy has been in the US longer than 7 days, can we claim the $700 purchase price as his personal exemption?" "Sure, put it in the system as $0.01". NO TAX paid. [IMG]http://**********************/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG] Oh, and it didn't hurt it was 4:30pm on a Friday afternoon.
      Summary: if you can, try to use the smaller border crossings, not because they're lax, but because if you're easygoing, then it'll be more pleasant for everyone. That's just my 2c
      2002 TDI Rabbit - 80 Caddy - 81 TD Caddy - 83 Caddy - 84 Rabbit - sǝɹɐnbs ǝɥʇ ǝʌɐs - slowpöks
      Homo sapiens breathe in the earth's atmosphere at ~14.69 psi, why shouldn't some of our engines?

10-02-2008 08:13 PM #44
      Quote, originally posted by vee_dubb_ya »
      Personal experience, 2 times:

Hi Vee_Dubb_ya,
      I am planning the same, with a car that was made in 81, therefore over the 15 year mark, will I need the so called "recall release letter"?
      Can't find info regarding that on the RIV site, maybe I did not read right...
      edit...
      ooops re-red the entire post, page 1, mtlmark answered my question!
      Excellent thread from BUGS and all who contributed, great info. [IMG]http://**********************/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG]
      Thanks!
      Alex [IMG]http://**********************/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG]

Modified by pefer at 8:21 PM 10-2-2008

Vehicles
      2014 Triumph Thruxton, 74 custom beetle, 2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited, 2006 MINI Cooper S Rallye
      10-21-2008 08:27 PM #45
      Quote, originally posted by pefer »
      Hi Vee_Dubb_ya,
      I am planning the same, with a car that was made in 81, therefore over the 15 year mark, will I need the so called "recall release letter"?
      Can't find info regarding that on the RIV site, maybe I did not read right...
      edit...
      ooops re-red the entire post, page 1, mtlmark answered my question!
      Excellent thread from BUGS and all who contributed, great info. [IMG]http://**********************/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG]
      Thanks!
      Alex [IMG]http://**********************/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG]

Modified by pefer at 8:21 PM 10-2-2008

good chance I will be re-using my own info again soon.. too bad the canadian dollar isnt as favorable this time
      Glad it's helped!
      (o)\_|_/(o) 1974 Standard Beetle | 2014 Triumph Thruxton | 2006 MINI Cooper S Ralley | 2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited –OlllllllO-

21. 02-22-2009 05:05 PM #46
      would it be possible to import a mk6 from europe?

22. 02-24-2009 10:30 AM #47
      Quote, originally posted by MASSIV GTI »
      would it be possible to import a mk6 from europe?

Anything is possible if you bribe the right people. But otherwise, no.
      From http://www.tc.gc.ca/roadsafety/safev...than/index.htm :
      Quote »
      The illegal importation of a motor vehicle into Canada is a criminal offense. Inadmissible vehicles will be denied entry into Canada and will be detained. All storage and disposal fees are the responsibility of the importer.
      Please read the following carefully.
      VEHICLES PURCHASED OUTSIDE CANADA AND THE UNITED STATES
      The Motor Vehicle Safety Act and Regulations require that all vehicles imported into Canada comply, at the time of importation, with the Canada Motor Vehicle Safety Standards in effect on the date the vehicle was manufactured. Vehicles manufactured for sale in countries other than Canada and the United States do not comply with the requirements of the Canada Motor Vehicle Safety Act, CANNOT be altered to comply and CANNOT be imported into Canada. The only exceptions to this rule are vehicles fifteen (15) years old or older as determined by the month and year in which the vehicle was manufactured and buses manufactured before January 1, 1971.
      Vehicles acquired in foreign countries other than the U.S. and designed, built, tested and certified to meet either all applicable Canada Motor Vehicle Safety Standards or all applicable United States Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards and bearing a statement of compliance label affixed by the original manufacturer, as required by the Regulations, may be eligible for importation into Canada provided the vehicle has not been altered and the certification from the original manufacturer is maintained, which may be subject to verification at the time of importation. A vehicle imported under these conditions will be subject to the Registrar of Imported Vehicles program which may be accessed at the following web site: http://www.riv.ca.
      Please contact Transport Canada, Road Safety and Motor Vehicle Regulation Directorate, at 1-613-998-8616 for further information.

23. 03-04-2009 08:58 PM #48
      If anyone has any questions or is getting problems with importing please feel free to email me. We imported numerous Delta Lancias and Golf's Rallye's into Toronto and not to mention yorkdale size parking lot worth of exotics. I will be more then glad to help you.

Vehicles
      2004 R32
      03-18-2009 05:32 PM #49
      A couple months ago I imported my '04 R32 without any problems. I went through Lewiston. I spent maybe 5 minutes on the U.S. side, around 10 minutes in Canada at Customs.
      Why is everyone who drives slower than me an idiot, and everyone who drives faster a maniac?

Vehicles
      2014 Triumph Thruxton, 74 custom beetle, 2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited, 2006 MINI Cooper S Rallye
      03-18-2009 06:35 PM #50
      any additional steps needed for the R32 since it was it previously wasnt allowed into Canada?

I hope to import my second US car at the end of next 2010. You sir, beat me to it

Modified by Bugs at 6:42 PM 3-18-2009
      (o)\_|_/(o) 1974 Standard Beetle | 2014 Triumph Thruxton | 2006 MINI Cooper S Ralley | 2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited –OlllllllO-

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast