Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: HOW TO Thread - Importing a car from USA

1. 03-24-2010 06:09 PM #71
      Quote, originally posted by Drake_Orion »
      Not sure about the bill of sale. I would assume they would want the paperwork/receipts when you first bought the car in order to get the proper plates from whatever province you're currently in. From my own experience, they will need to know how much you bought the car for as the price will affect how much tax you pay when crossing the border. The suspension shouldn't be an issue. I brought a lowered dub into Ontario last year and it wasn't a problem.

Modified by Drake_Orion at 2:06 PM 3-24-2010

Sweet thanks!! I'm not sure what you mean by paperwork/receipts from when I bought it though. I bought it private sale, and we don't keep the copy of the bill of sale. That goes to the DMV. I can let them know the price I paid, just don't have any documentation as to prove it. Glaaaaad about the suspension, as my car is REALLY low, lol.

2. Member
      Vehicles
      2010 Tiguan 4Motion
      04-22-2010 09:24 AM #72
      What if a family member is the US would like to gift a vehicle to me here in Canada (Quebec)?

I imagine I would still need to pay tax on it... how is that assessed? Or would I be free? Anyone done this?

3. 04-27-2010 09:42 PM #73
      I phoned the Peace Bridge border crossing ( (905) 994-6330) and asked them what i needed to bring an older vehicle back from the states...and they did NOT want me to fax them the bill of sale or ownership...claimed they would take care of everything when I arrived wth the vehicle

have things changed!?

4. 04-28-2010 04:42 PM #74
      The fax they need is a 72 hour notice of your intention on bringing the car into Canada

5. Member
      Vehicles
      '01 Golf TDI, '00 E39 M5, '72 Super Beetle, '65 21w Bus, '52 Split Beetle
      06-05-2010 11:36 PM #75
      Help me out with this.

I want to buy a vehicle in the US. It will go from the previous owners house, to a shop to get some bodywork, paint, and interior. By the time it gets to the border crossing it will be worth a few bucks more and look alot better. What are my options in this situation?

I'll have the bill of sale to pay tax on. Do i need to also pay tax on the service/work that will be done? Tax on new parts/materials?

Or will they look on the net to assess its market value?

Pete

Vehicles
      98 TDi
      06-19-2010 01:09 AM #76
      I'm writing this post to document and archive my experience.

- bought a 96 Jetta GLX from Florida in 2005

- drove it from Florida to Toronto on Dec. 30th 2006. When I got to the border I was allowed to bring it into the country with no trouble because I am a dual-citizen. When I showed my American passport I was now a visitor and did not have to pay anything at the border and could drive in as a tourist.

- the car went into storage in Toronto for 2 1/2 years soon after. When I took the car out of storage in 2010 I started the import process, this is now almost 3 years later.

- I called the border to find out if I had to drive it back there to start the import process. I explained my story that I was also a US citizen and was now going to reside in Canada and wanted to import the car but it is already in the country. They told me to contact the INLAND BORDER SERVICE. Keep in mind, this IBS is not listed in any yellow pages, google search or anything that I could find. I was given the address of one of the TWO places in and around Toronto which is 5425 Dixie Road in Mississauga and 2720 Britannia Rd E.

- once I went to the IBS I explained my situation once again and I was classified as a returning resident and as such had an allowance that my car value was way under, especially with my "Bill Of Sale" stating I bought the car from my father for $200 . It was here that I received the infamous FORM 1 I think

- the next step was to go to the RIV and pay them their $200 fee for FORM 2

- after this I went to Canadian Tire to get my inspection. They only checked the stickers on the door jams and that I had DRL's, this is a free inspection.

- the next step was to get a "Safety Check" and an "Emissions Test", I think we all know about these

- the final step was to get insurance, this was the tricky part. I had to call around various brokers, explain the situation and tell them the car was in storage at the mechanic who was taking care of all the inspections, etc etc and I needed to get it insured even though it was not yet registered in Canada so I could drive it to the MTO to get the plate. After I found a reasonable insurance rate I went to the MTO with my FORM 1, E-Test, Safety and Proof of Insurance and got a plate for $38 and that was it. I never had to pay taxes on the car because I was a returning resident

Last edited by lowazzgolf; 08-06-2010 at 02:04 PM.
      WANTED: Salty D, Fast Bumpers, abt cup, Luckyzeee, Dub Oddity, CHUBBY ASIAN, III, Lobstrosity, Dark Demon 8v, RG3, LostBoyScout, JPawn1, Thatcher, Mr.Bungle, EuroVR6Mk3, dubtometry, Blown Wide Open, Bluers
      @markjharvey

Vehicles
      2010 CC
      09-02-2010 01:58 AM #77
      Just finished importing a used 2010 VW CC Luxury from the USA into Canada. Did the importing at the Lewiston NY border crossing. Spent 20 minutes with US Customs to export the vehicle, then 15 minutes with Canada Customs to import the vehicle. Followed the RIV process to a "T". Went smooth. The secret is to go early in the day and mid week, to avoid any customs lineups.

8. 09-27-2010 02:40 AM #78
      Lots of great info here

From what i gather,

- Fax title and bill of sale to US border 72hrs in advance, obtain fax confirmation as a C.Y.A.

Just to clarify.. What about Canada customs? What needs to be done in advance?

West End Dubs

Vehicles
      60 Beetle Rag, 78 Rabbit 4dr VR6, 84 Jetta Coupe 1.8t, 87 Jeep Grand Wagoneer, 91 GTI TDI,
      10-06-2010 02:07 PM #79
      Quote Originally Posted by Monokromatik View Post
      Lots of great info here

From what i gather,

- Fax title and bill of sale to US border 72hrs in advance, obtain fax confirmation as a C.Y.A.

Just to clarify.. What about Canada customs? What needs to be done in advance?

absolutely nothing....just show up with the stamped titled (the US customs side will stamp the title you got from the seller) and bring a signed bill of sale....and get ready to fill out some documents and pay some taxes and fees.

and enjoy

01-27-2011 11:09 PM #80
      Given the taxes in ontario have been 'combined' ... does that impact the import taxes?

I do not think it does - but looking for input from someone who has completed this recently ... is it still just the GST to import into Ontario?

Thank you,

11. 01-28-2011 10:50 AM #81
      Quote Originally Posted by frateretto View Post
      Given the taxes in ontario have been 'combined' ... does that impact the import taxes?

I do not think it does - but looking for input from someone who has completed this recently ... is it still just the GST to import into Ontario?

Thank you,
      Yes, you have to pay both taxes.

Gst-> when crossing the border.
      Hst-> at your local licensing office.
      West End Dubs

01-28-2011 01:34 PM #82
      Seems like the process has been modified / simplified in Lewiston / Barfalo...

Here is what I went through on Feb 25th, 2011 for a 1981 VW Camper (Towed over the border)

Details needed in Advance
      ....Title
      ....BOS
      ....Insurance
      ....Emailed buffalovinnyoffice@dhs.gov 3 days in advance - VIN, Make, Model, Year, my Name etc
      ....Confirmation email recieved from border indicating I can cross anytime after 72 hours
      ....No faxing or photo copies needed

US Side
      ....Cargo and Frieght Office is normal sized red door, in customs warehouse on US side
      .........this is on the left before the bridge, basically on the OTHER side of the road when returning to Canada
      ....Showed title and passport (but directions in e-mail below indicated they may want more)
      ....Officer checked my VIN - sent me to Canada - no paperwork but a stamp on my title
      .... 5 minutes tops

Canada Side
      ....Heavily questioned by initial screener
      ....5 minutes of questions
      ....Given Yellow card indicating I owe duties on price of Van
      ....Proceed to Secondary Inspection Site ... just follow signs
      ....Fill out form 1 ... show title, BOS
      ....Questioned again (see below)
      ....Pay 6% duty and 5% GST
      ........no RIV as it is old
      ........no A/C tax as no one could prove it had A/C ... just a blue and red dot on the dash
      ....20 minutes total in office
      ....Drive to Canada paying $6.50 in tolls

Points to Note:
      ....was asked by many officers for a copy of the ORIGINAL AD listing the vehicle, asking price etc
      ....this is likely to keep people honest on the 'sale price' they show on the forms
      ....officer checked the Samba for about 15 minutes trying to find the add
      ....asked sellers name, state, asking price MANY times
      ....after not finding the ad - they just said 'looks like you got a good price'
      ....moral of the story, be VERY careful if you are planning to declare a lower price than you paid

e-mail below is the instructions from the buffalo border patrol after I e-mailed them my VIN etc

--------
      From CBPO RHODES

This e-mail response serves as your confirmation that CBP has received your vehicle export information. You may export the vehicle 72 hours from receipt of this e-mail during regular business hours.

Business hours are Monday through Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. We are closed on all U.S. federal holidays.

The Lewiston Bridge is the only place to export a vehicle in Western New York.

Vehicles for export may not be brought to Canada prior to being formally exported by U.S. Customs and Border Protection. Failure to comply with the requirements set forth in 19 CFR 192.2 may result in a penalty action.

Things required at time of vehicle export:

1. The vehicle which is to be exported.

2. Original title. Vehicles that have no title, (ex: snowmobiles, ATV’s, backhoes, forklifts, etc) must present a registration and/or bill of sale. Registration and/or bill of sale serves as your ownership (title). This requirement varies from state to state. It is your responsibility to determine what that state’s ownership requirements are.

3. WHTI compliant identification for yourself and all parties with you. Please refer to the following website for information on WHTI compliant identification: http://www.getyouhome.gov/

4. Lien release if a lien is present on the vehicle. Note: This can be done by having the finance company sign off on the original title itself (along with the finance company’s stamp) or an original letter from the finance company indicating that the lien is released. For those vehicles that are still being financed, you may present a certified copy of the title, along with an original letter from the finance company that states that the vehicle can be exported.

5. This printed, e-mail confirmation including your original message to CBP.

Additional information can be obtained via the Vehicle Export information line (716)843-8359.

All questions must be directed to buffalovinnyoffice@dhs.gov.

Thank you,

Vehicle Export Office
      Field Operations
      US Customs and Border Protection
      1 Lewiston Plaza
      Lewiston, NY 14092
      Phone: (716) 282-1500 option 3 (emergencies only)
      Phone: (716) 843-8359 (information line only)
      Fax: (716) 285-3565
      buffalovinnyoffice@dhs.gov
      Last edited by frateretto; 02-25-2011 at 06:46 PM.

Vehicles
      97 GTI 2.0 rip, 84 gti rip, 95 GTI 2.0 rip, 85 cabby, 98 jetta wolfs, 86 jetta
      03-10-2011 03:21 PM #83
      sounds like older cars are easier then newer cars.... riv says that if the car is 15 years or older it is exempt but you still need the stamps on both forums correct?

03-11-2011 12:34 AM #84
      The stamps on both 'forms' ... yes, but it's the process & details to get those stamps you need to be clear on.

It's not hard but you need to do your homework and arrive prepared. Customs people have no sense of humor, nor do they care. They can be friendly, but you can't just show up and hope things work out well ...

Vehicles
      '03 Jetta 1.8T wagon '85 Westfalia
      03-24-2012 11:41 PM #85
      I am thinking of importing a VW Doka from the US. It was originally a Canadian vehicle and it is older than 15 years old (1985).

My questions are regarding modifications. The truck has aftermarket tube steel bumpers and a different engine than it came with stock. Will this cause me any problems at the border?

Vehicles
      06 FSI H&R springs, Bilstein struts, SS brake lines, APR stage 1, big FMIC, downpipe, CAI, pulley
      03-28-2012 03:48 PM #86
      I would appreciate any knowledge on how to go about finding a 3rd party to go check the car for me in Georgia, US.

Vehicles
      06 FSI H&R springs, Bilstein struts, SS brake lines, APR stage 1, big FMIC, downpipe, CAI, pulley
      03-29-2012 12:31 PM #87
      nvm wegolook.com - seems pretty reputable.

18. 03-29-2012 06:35 PM #88
      A bit of a vague question, I know... but...

Are most savings from buying in the US found in new car purchases or used as well? Is there much to be saved on a slightly older car (say 2-4 year old Golf GTI)? Or is this mostly beneficial for high-end purchases?

19. Member
      Vehicles
      1981 Westfalia
      04-10-2012 06:57 PM #89
      the US economy is, generally speaking, in the tank ... so new or used a good deal should be easier to find. only place you will not likley find a good deal is on a domestic

different reasons for new to be cheaper vs. used to be cheaper (both vs. Canada), but cheaper all the same

happy hunting
      actually no, but I can drive slower ...

20. 06-10-2012 11:49 PM #90
      I think I am in a similar situation to Lowazzgolf, being a US citizen.

I am living/working in Toronto on a visa. I finally sold my car that was just a pain to import(long story) and I am looking to buy something else.

Am I exempt from the taxes if I buy in the states? I will be financing, if that means anything. I am not trying to beat the system, but if I am able to get a car for 3-4k less, why not check?

Vehicles
      06 Jetta 2.0T.
      08-13-2012 01:47 PM #91
      Quote Originally Posted by Cajetan View Post
      I think I am in a similar situation to Lowazzgolf, being a US citizen.

I am living/working in Toronto on a visa. I finally sold my car that was just a pain to import(long story) and I am looking to buy something else.

Am I exempt from the taxes if I buy in the states? I will be financing, if that means anything. I am not trying to beat the system, but if I am able to get a car for 3-4k less, why not check?

If you are on a work permit in Canada you will not have to pay taxes on that vehicle or switch plates to be Canadian. Since you are consider a temporary resident which means that at the end of the permit you will be going back.

So yes, it would make sense for you to buy the vehicle in the USA.

If you guys have any other questions you can write them up here or pm me. i will try to help you out.
      APR STG 2, 3" CATLESS DP, RACELAND COILS, 19" WHEELS, NEWSOUTH BOOST GAUGE, FORGE DV, CAI

Vehicles
      06 Jetta 2.0T.
      08-13-2012 01:51 PM #92
      Quote Originally Posted by uncommonvw View Post
      I am thinking of importing a VW Doka from the US. It was originally a Canadian vehicle and it is older than 15 years old (1985).

My questions are regarding modifications. The truck has aftermarket tube steel bumpers and a different engine than it came with stock. Will this cause me any problems at the border?
      If it is a Canadian vehicle returning you will not have to pay taxes or riv fee (riv still has to be completed). i wouldn't worry about the modifications at the border but i don't know if that's something Canadian tire would be anal about.
      APR STG 2, 3" CATLESS DP, RACELAND COILS, 19" WHEELS, NEWSOUTH BOOST GAUGE, FORGE DV, CAI

08-25-2012 03:41 AM #93
      Quote Originally Posted by uncommonvw View Post

Canada customs doesn't care about mods. The vehicle is considered a classic... LMK if you need any help..

10-09-2012 11:40 PM #94
      Do most drive the car back once picked up in the states? If so how do you go about plating the vehicle. Are you able to get a temp permit/sticker from the mto?
      .:R

10-13-2012 10:17 PM #95
      Quote Originally Posted by chrissor View Post
      Do most drive the car back once picked up in the states? If so how do you go about plating the vehicle. Are you able to get a temp permit/sticker from the mto?
      MTO will not issue temp permits or stickers for vehicles from the USA. Canadians cannot legally operate an American plated vehicle, rentals exempt, in Canada with a Canadian license. Towing is the way I always have imported vehicles from the USA. And I live in a border city.

26. 11-20-2013 07:53 PM #96
      Will I get problems if I am importing a custom vehicle from USA to Canada? Some possible mods ; airride suspension, body kit, custom interior, flashy rims... Is there a possibility of getting turned back at the boarder? I really want to purchase an american car but unfortunately I am scared modded vehicles will get a hard time at the boarded.

Vehicles
      13 .:R, 67 Camaro, 86 GLH-T Omni
      02-02-2014 05:25 AM #97
      I have a question, I purchased a car from a guy, who has had the car 10 years, has all the bill of sales from bringing it across the border etc.. original bill of sale from the previous owner, but he never put it in his name.. how bad is this going to Eff me?
      PSN o0o_BOOST_o0o
      XBL oo BOOST LEE oo

Quote Originally Posted by MidnightSpecial View Post
      I'm saying that after 6 hours of angry man on man sex, the MKIV still smelt like an MKIV.

28. 02-03-2014 11:12 PM #98
      Quote Originally Posted by mkzeenko View Post
      If you are on a work permit in Canada you will not have to pay taxes on that vehicle or switch plates to be Canadian. Since you are consider a temporary resident which means that at the end of the permit you will be going back.

So yes, it would make sense for you to buy the vehicle in the USA.

If you guys have any other questions you can write them up here or pm me. i will try to help you out.
      Finally got a car haha. I ended up getting taxed upon registration as the title was just signed over to me. I guess one of 2 things just happened, either this car was just legitimately imported into Canada, or I was taken for a ride. At least at this point, I am pretty sure that we won't have to "import" it again when we become naturalized. Worst part is that they gave me **** at the border for paying too much because their red book lists the 2004 GLI as the VR6 model only, so if you are buying a 2004 GLI, downplay the price as much as possible.
      2010 CDN A3 2.0Tq
      2004 USA VW BMP GLI

Vehicles
      60 Beetle Rag, 78 Rabbit 4dr VR6, 84 Jetta Coupe 1.8t, 87 Jeep Grand Wagoneer, 91 GTI TDI,
      02-05-2014 08:57 AM #99
      Quote Originally Posted by thatGTIguy View Post
      MTO will not issue temp permits or stickers for vehicles from the USA. Canadians cannot legally operate an American plated vehicle, rentals exempt, in Canada with a Canadian license. Towing is the way I always have imported vehicles from the USA. And I live in a border city.
      I find this one interesting. Seeing as I drove my 78 Rabbit back from Springfield Missouri, on a Missouri temp plate (which they gave me no questions asked, for the tidy sum of $13.00). It was good for 30 days, and I drove around on it in Toronto for a week or so. Zero issues with the cops.

30. 06-04-2014 03:09 PM #100
      My question deals with the title and bill of sale that have to be sent in 72 hours prior to crossing. I found a car I want and am planning to fly down and drive it back on the same day or the next. How do I get the title and bill of sale before getting there? If I buy sight unseen, don't I still have to go to the DMV to get the title in my name and then fax it and have to wait 3 days before crossing the border? My original plan was to send him a deposit, go down and pay him the full amount when I actually see it, get the title and then drive back. Again, the problem is the 72 hours, am I missing something? Can the fax be the title in his name until I cross with it in mine? Thanks for the help.

31. Member
      Vehicles
      09 335i, 04 A4 1.8TQM, 02 Z06, 76 XS650, 12 M796
      07-21-2014 09:08 AM #101
      Quote Originally Posted by sanddunejumper View Post
      My question deals with the title and bill of sale that have to be sent in 72 hours prior to crossing. I found a car I want and am planning to fly down and drive it back on the same day or the next. How do I get the title and bill of sale before getting there? If I buy sight unseen, don't I still have to go to the DMV to get the title in my name and then fax it and have to wait 3 days before crossing the border? My original plan was to send him a deposit, go down and pay him the full amount when I actually see it, get the title and then drive back. Again, the problem is the 72 hours, am I missing something? Can the fax be the title in his name until I cross with it in mine? Thanks for the help.
      You can email the vin # (only, no title number) to the customs border patrol office. They will send you an email reply confirming it's ready for export (from the US). If you don't end up buying the car, no real concequence, if you end up buying it you should be cleared to drive it home.

32. Member
      Vehicles
      2010 Jetta TDI Cup Edition
      09-01-2014 09:22 PM #102
      I u-hauled mine, it was easier because the border had my documents so I didn't have them to get a trip permit

If anyone has questions feel free to pm me I just imported in June

Sent from my iPhone using the Tapatalk app, so that explains the typos...
      2010 Jetta TDI Cup Edition

2001 Jetta TDI (retired @ 478,000km)

Vehicles
      1993 Golf Variant 3.2, 2014 Focus ST3, 2015 Cherokee Trailhawk
      09-24-2014 07:01 PM #103
      For a car that has been modded.. would the Canadian Tire RIV inspection notice the fact that the car has a turbo back without cats? KPH cluster and drl's are fine.

Thanks

34. 09-24-2014 10:32 PM #104
      Quote Originally Posted by VeeRSixOh View Post
      For a car that has been modded.. would the Canadian Tire RIV inspection notice the fact that the car has a turbo back without cats? KPH cluster and drl's are fine.

Thanks
      I think this is the problem that I would have run into with my original car in Canada. It had a catless DP, and I think they would have failed it immediately regardless of emissions tests.

Worst case is that you bring the car into Canada, fail the test, then get it fixed ASAP. On the other hand, something heavily modded may have more failable offences than lack of cats.
      2010 CDN A3 2.0Tq
      2004 USA VW BMP GLI

35. 11-08-2014 06:41 PM #105
      For those looking to import cars from the US, the rules have changed. The US now requires an electronic filing of the export data, called EEI (Electronic Export Info) in AES (Automated Export System). This needs to be obtained before you submit all the vehicle information to the US port of export, as it is one of the submission requirements.

You cannot file this yourself, you will need a customs broker.

Apparently this has been introduced in April 2014, there was a 6 month period that still allowed you to file in the info the old way in parallel to the new method, but that has expired.

I have just gone through this process so IM me with any questions.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123