Official K04 Upgrade Info
Direct bolt on to transverse motors using OE exhaust manifold and oil/coolant lines. Might be good for those k03 (not k03s) owners if you just need something easy to bolt up. SO THIS MEANS DIRECT BOLT ON Golf/GTI/Jetta/Beetle Will work for K03 and K03s but will yield little gains on the k03. Would be good for those with a dying k03/k03s and don't want BT.
Direct bolt on for longitudinal motors using OE exhaust manifold and oil/coolant lines. Means Direct bolt on to Passats/Audi
This turbo comes off of the 225hp Audi TT (or S3 or Seat Cupra R and some other European cars). Is not a direct bolt-on, needs more than just basic bolts and such. Don't need any engine mods, but would not hurt. See below for details on installing it one on a transverse vehicle (Transverse mean meaning mk4 G/G/J/B).
Direct bolt on for the Audi S4. I believe it comes off of the RS4. More boost for the S4.
RequiredParts List for K04-02x Install on Transverse Motors
- K04-02X Turbo
- Exhaust manifold, from Audi Mk1 TT 225hp motor
- Exhaust up-pipe
- Pro-Imports has an exhaust adapter so you can use your K03 down pipe on this k04 (THAT IS IF YOU CAN FIND ONE. I believe Pro Imports is out of business).
- 42 Draft Designs has a full down pipe to be used on this turbo. 42DD Link
- Oil lines, from an Audi Mk1 TT 225hp motor or Aftermarket from PSI Concepts
- Water/Coolant lines, from an Audi Mk1 TT 225hp motor or custom ones made from Pro-Imports
- Upper Intercooler Pipe (Only needed if you have a stock SMIC or upgraded SMIC)
- Lower Intercooler Pipe Reducer (Only needed if you have a SMIC.
- Silicone Turbo Inlet Hose
- 3" Mass Air flow Housing, from an Audi Mk1 TT 225hp motor or VR6 motor. (Revo doesn't specify what sensor is used. GIAC Requires the TT sensor)
- 4bar FPR or Adjustable FPR is better
- OEM TT at 4 bar, Genesis 380c or 415cc (recommended)
- Hardware Kit (includes all nuts, bolts, gaskets and other things to install which can be purchased from Pro-Imports as a kit)
- Factory PCV Hoses with brass adapters (Pro-Imports offers PCV relocation pieces)
- Software - GIAC, Revo, and Unitronics have specific software for the k04-02x. Pro-Imports is the only Revo dealer with this software/specific file. APR Does not support -02x... only 001
Part Numbers the OEM+ upgrade (k04-02x)
- 06A 253 033AJ 225 TT exhaust manifold
06A 145 704M (or 06A 145 704Q) K04-020 Turbo
06A 145 704P K04-022
06A 145 832L Turbo outlet elbow
06A 121 081 Coolant Line
06A 121 497 G 2 00 Coolant line (not sure if last 3 digits belong)
06A 145778KOil Line
06a 145 735J 3 00 Oil Line (not sure if last 3 digits belong)
102-090-05 Exhaust Manifold Nut
058-253-039-L Block to Exhaust Manifold Gasket
06A-253-039-H Exhaust Manifold to Turbo Gasket
06A-145-540-K Turbo Mounting Bolts (Inverse Torx)
8L9-253-115-A Turbo to Downpipe Gasket
06A-145-536-H Turbo bracket (under turbo mounts to block)
058-145-757-A Oil Return Line to Oil Pan Gasket
Misc. other parts:
- 06A-145-710-N Diverter Valve
06A-906-149 Injector O-rings
N-907-678-01 Exhaust Manifold Stud (on block)
06A-131-627-D Pipe to Combi Valve (TT225 location)
06A-131-825-K Bracket for Combi Valve
Please check these part numbers and let me know if any aren't right.
user Beachball6 image 1, user Beachball6 image 1, user Beachball6 image 1
J-Tec on GIAC (Video)
- K04-023 EGT port size: M12 x 1.25mm (reference thread)
- Audi TT injector flow rates
- REVO MAF sensor clarification: http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=3334591
- Oil Feed install tip: if you're using the stock oil feed line (or any line that is hard like that), BE SURE TO TIGHTEN THE SIDE ON THE MOTOR FIRST. If you tighten the turbo first, it will be really difficult to get the banjo bolt to go in straight. (reference post)
- Oil line tips
- K04-02x Turbo to Manifold Inserts
o Some people have said that there are small inserts that go into the turbo manifold and sometimes they come out when you try to unscrew the turbo off from the manifold. Well a guy named Trevor from PA decided to get some machined. It's a worth while investment to have if you are planing to drop your turbo.
o More information about these inserts and purchasing these inserts can be found here: K04 02x inserts
- K04-02x install DIY by Jtec
- Oil Return Line Issue. Steel pan vs Full Aluminum
- GIAC Software: has issues with cold starts and cold drivability with the Genesis 380cc injectors. The OEM TT225 injectors run correctly. This is coming from 2 people with 2001 AWW engines, so, at this time, we are unsure if the AWP is affected by this as well. The car will run with the Genesis injectors, it just has cold start and cold drivability issues.
- From Member eurojulien 318is: You can get k04-022 down pipes from this ebay'er http://myworld.ebay.com/ebaymotors/r...s_performance/. Not sure how it fits, but it's worth a shot for anybody looking.
- Vag-Com Block Listing
bmxp's Info Page
K04-02x Specific Forum/
Old K04-02x thread 80+ pages long - Still lots of good info
Fastest Trap so far reccorded on vortex
Newer Fastest Trap on vortex - 1.9 60' with Eagle F1 GS-D3's
1.)Is this a direct bolt on? What software? What MAF? What is required? What kind of hardware?
No, it is not a direct bolt on. There is a reason why there is a requirements list. Please refer to the list Click Here or Here) it contains just about everything needed and should answer most questions. As for software, b/c people can't read the list above. REVO, GIAC, Unitronics are the most popular software or "tune". APR does not make software for it. Anybody can lemmiwink any tune but it's not specifically made and is all up to the user to decide if they want to do that.
2.)Is the k04-001 and k04-2x the same?
Refer to the official k04 web page: http://www31.brinkster.com/bmxp/K04-02x/Index.html . I don't have the technical aspects of the 2 turbos. I do believe the k04-02x has a thicker shaft vs the k04-001 and different hot and cold side impellers (mainly size and design)
3.) Why can't I use the 225 Audi TT (or simular ECU)?
It's never been tried but it's a completely different system.
This post covers most of it: http://forums.vwvortex.com/zer...39551
4.) What kind of downpipe do I use? or Can I use my stock?
Yes and no. If you get the k04-20 adapter from Pro Imports (PI) then you can use the PI adapter to your stock k03 DP. 42dd Also makes a DP for this application, probably a better deal b/c it's a full DP. Also, the Pro Imports adapter is expensive and becoming hard to find, not playing favorites towards a company but like stated before, the 42DD would be the best option for most users that don't want to make one themselves.
5.) What kind of power do you guys make? Is this kit worth it?
There are dyno's from miscellaneous types of setups Dynos. It is subjective to ask if this kit is worth it. To me it's a nice fun upgrade for those not willing to go all out with BT and new rods. You can have fun with this setup and is fun to drive. Will it make 28rs numbers no. Unless you have a fully built engine. This setup is very reliable (I've had this kit since May-16-2006). It is up to the end user wither or not they want to spend money on this or go all out. This kit has potential. Somebody is yet to find it.
6.)What type of IC can I use? What IC do k04-02x users use?
You can use really any kind of IC. Most 02x users use a FMIC. If you are using a SMIC (stock or aftermarket in the stock location) you will have to modify your upper IC pipe (if you are using wanting to use the stock pipe) the charge pipe from PI is recommended and get some kind of heat wrap because it will cross the exhaust manifold and DP. In addition, if you are using the stock upper IC pipe it will have to be extended at the bottom portion to reach the SMIC/IC. A pic is on Page 49.
As far as a FMIC it would be a better recommendation. If you are using a eurojet or greddy or "greddy style" I would recommend a new silicone for the turbo to upper IC pipe. I used a 45* silicone reducer (I believe 2.25 to 2") to make it sit better or you can reweld the upper pipe. And yes IC are cool especially FMIC's
But as far as FMIC fitments goes my greddy pushes down on the TIP. Seems to be normal unless you modified yours. More or less you will have to modify your setting to make it work. There is no solid answer. I do hear PI cuts there and makes it fit, no real answer on that. Also, I do believe PI uses the 225 TT combi vlave to make more room for the TIP to fit, I think they rotate it forward. *Also I do believe PI is the only company that makes a upper IC/charge pipe for this turbo.
7.) What type of Inlet pipe can I (or do I) use? Stock/Aftermarket? Fitment issues? General Inlet Question?
You can use either stock (Audi TT) or aftermarket (Stock k03/k03s will not work). Samco, Forge, vinair/ebay versions all work fine. Stock works well too but why not get an aftemarket that flows better and won't collapse on you. There have been some speculation on the little nipple near the top of the TIP. I do believe it is for the PCV/ Emissions purposes. As in the AWD (aww too? I believe) Don't have that nipple before the maf, but the AWP does. I have an AWP and I removed that whole line. I goes the to the brake booster. I have an ABD manifold and I had to remove it and have not had any issues.
8.) What is the difference between k04-020, 022, 023...?
Nothing really as far as I know and from what I have read. The difference is how the wastgate is placed. 020 and 022 are fairly similar and the 023 is quite different. Look at the different k04-02x pics above. BUT one thing to note is that the k04-023 has a EGT port in the housing. Other than that.... I think that's it.
9.) Do I need to build up the engine?
No, not really... but wouldn't hurt the engine to do so. Most people put the K04 in and it runs fine. Just be careful of early torque spikes, as that is the main reason why rods go out on stock cars. There have only been a handful of people who have built up the engine. But at that point they are (or should) just go to a real big turbo.
If you got some thing to add PLEASE IM me. So I can add it to make it easier for all of us to access.
Modified by bmxp at 3:51 PM 12-12-2009