Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: '80 Scirocco SCCA StreetMod Build (soon to be 1.8t)

1. 02-08-2008 10:19 PM #1
      It stared off as a lonely white Scirocco sitting at a VW dealership. It was entirely an impulse buy and one I wish I didn't make. But I've always wanted one and after ditching the turbo DSM, it was time to have a purpose built car.

Here it is in action:
      http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=1nt97yqHCYo

The point of the car was to build a reliable racecar on a budget. Basically being smart about purchases and doing as much with friends help as possible. Below is a short picture story on the build.
      Also, now it's time to drop something better than a n/a 16v under the hood.

Modified by Sead at 11:42 AM 3-24-2009

2. 02-08-2008 10:27 PM #2

Stripped and caged:

Cheap race seat:

It was cheaper to replace body panels than to fix the rust:

Bodywork:

A little bit of Porsche Polar Silver:

On the trailer home:

Modified by Sead at 4:07 AM 2-9-2008

Vehicles
      a couple o dubs
      02-08-2008 10:39 PM #3
      Nice beginnings
      Its hard to make a comeback if you've never left

Bad Pennies......We turn up everywhere!!!

4. 02-08-2008 10:48 PM #4
      Mmmmmm, gussets:

Assembled the trim, lights and the glass. I don't think I need to mention I broke 3 windshields before the car even ran.

Refurbished the H4 headlights

Cleaned off a set of rebuilt Bilsteins, shaved the perch and installed some generic threaded sleeve kit. Coupled wit some caster plates and 350F/500R springs and the mandatory BFB.

Modified by Sead at 4:10 AM 2-9-2008

02-08-2008 10:51 PM #5
      Nice job man.
      Last edited by Mtl-Marc; Today at 23:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mk1Madness
      Back when making your car faster and better handling was the big thing.
      Quote Originally Posted by Eistreiber
      Yeah, I prefer slow-cooked bacon; and bacon grease saved is great for frying other stuff, adds some good flavor to almost anything. Except maybe tofu, that stuff is beyond help.

6. 02-08-2008 10:58 PM #6
      Yes I did put power steering into a racecar:

2l 16v, port/polished head, Schrick valve springs, Ti retainers, 50mm intake, eurosport header, nology sparkplug wires, Garrret chip...
      Custom built 4k gear ratio with peloquin LSD and custom shift linkage.

Lowering the car onto the engine:

Pretty Schrick oil pan:

Stuffed in there:

Modified by Sead at 4:12 AM 2-9-2008

Modified by Sead at 4:15 AM 2-9-2008

7. 02-08-2008 11:13 PM #7
      I hate wiring!

But it did start one day:

02-08-2008 11:14 PM #8
      Quote, originally posted by Sead »
      Here it is in action: http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=1nt97yqHCYo

awsome use of editing That Mk1 sounds NASTY!

I love the giggle at the end of the vid.

'80 Scirocco | '14 X3 | '11 328xi

02-08-2008 11:18 PM #9

Pretty Schrick oil pan:

Love the oil pan.

Not sure about the lifting points.

Yeah, I prefer slow-cooked bacon; and bacon grease saved is great for frying other stuff, adds some good flavor to almost anything. Except maybe tofu, that stuff is beyond help.

10. 02-08-2008 11:20 PM #10
      Yea it really did become a lovely sounding, well sorted 16v. It was so cool to row through the gears that I took the insurance off my daily driver and drove the Scirocco around instead.
      Makes me wonder why I just bought a 1.8t. Never enough power I suppose.

Here is the gorgeous exhaust my friend Chris Beere welded up. He did the cage as well:

11. 02-08-2008 11:26 PM #11
      Quote, originally posted by Mtl-Marc »

Love the oil pan.

Not sure about the lifting points.

I wonder if that oil pan will fit on the 1.8t?

Ah, yes, the lifting points. Don't worry, I have learned since.

Lightweight battery box:

02-08-2008 11:34 PM #12

No.

Ah, yes, the lifting points. Don't worry, I have learned since.

My '83 suffered from this from the PO

Lightweight battery box:

Nice.

13. 02-09-2008 12:14 AM #13
      Anyone wanna guess what was going into the 16v head? Hint:

Vehicles
      2003 Golf TDI 130, 964 Carrera 2
      02-09-2008 12:41 AM #14

[/img]

Yes it will if you get the engine from an early Passat or Audi A4...

Scirocco inventory currently at 1% and holding.

Quote Originally Posted by echassin View Post
      the problem is not with me, you see. The problem is the car. It's a Mk2. It's already gotten way more attention than it deserved

15. 02-09-2008 09:35 PM #15
      What is the difference that makes the early Audi one work?
      I got the AWP.
      And really, do I need the Schrick pan? Probably not.

Vehicles
      2003 Golf TDI 130, 964 Carrera 2
      02-10-2008 01:09 AM #16
      The early engine uses the a block that's very close to the orginal motor, hence the old "bubble" oilpan is usable... The later 1.8t block with the internal waterpump got an oilpan that's more rectangular in the shape.
      Scirocco inventory currently at 1% and holding.

Quote Originally Posted by echassin View Post
      the problem is not with me, you see. The problem is the car. It's a Mk2. It's already gotten way more attention than it deserved

17. 02-12-2008 03:47 AM #17
      And here is a little chase camera action at our local racetrack. I have to say it was cool keeping with a 2zz-ge Mr2.

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=ne5dxBe2By0

And getting in the way of a fast RX-&:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u1OQJAaSa80

Modified by Sead at 4:24 PM 2-13-2008

18. 02-12-2008 10:41 AM #18
      Did the guy in the Porsche go off in front of you at 3:18? Did you scare him or did he scare himself. LOL

Great Vid, thanks for posting!!!

19. Member
      Vehicles
      1981 SciroccS
      02-12-2008 11:53 AM #19
      Schweet video. Man, I need to get myself on a race track again sometime. It's been, oh about, 7 1/2 years since I've done something like that. Oh, wait, my son is 7 1/2 years old. Maybe that has something to do with it???

I get an adrenaline rush just watching the video. Great stuff.

20. 02-12-2008 08:04 PM #20
      I think me and Eric in the Mr2 scared him off the track.
      I got a bit carried away and just about passed him on the inside. Just then I remembered it was a lapping day and not a road race.

21. 02-13-2008 12:13 AM #21
      I am building a small collection of wheels for the car. This summer I sported Team Dynamics Pro race, which were nice and light. Unfortunately a curb ended one of their futures.

I then moved on to BBS RA's which were nice and not too flashy. The RA's are now gonna reside on the Echo.

There is something really nice hiding in the garage, waiting for tires and the summer. Guess the model and offset?

As far as race wheels go, there is another selection:
      13x7 steelies(for sale)

13x8 Keizers (nice and light)

And newly purchased BMW BBS mesh 14x6.5s. Kinda hard to see them but the 225/50/14 fill out the fender wells very nicely!

Modified by Sead at 5:22 AM 2-13-2008

Modified by Sead at 5:24 AM 2-13-2008

22. 03-01-2008 10:32 PM #22
      Allright, here is a little more eye candy. The 1.8t build will be starting soon so stay tuned.

I took it out of the garage today to take a spin around the neighborhood. So much fun! I love the scream of the 16v.

23. Banned
      03-17-2008 12:45 PM #23
      car looks great! any new pics

24. 03-26-2008 06:03 PM #24

So there is a new motor sitting in my garage and I have gladly stripped it of the factory wiring and emissions equipment.
      I am in the market for a standalone engine management system, but am not really all that educated on what to look for.

The motor is a 1.8t and I am looking to take advantage of it in the OEM configuration to the max and optimize everything else.

The other goals I see are: drivability (on the course, not the street), being able to set up and use a couple different maps (street/rain, autox, track/hillclimb) and gear dependent boost levels. 1st gear is useless.

(Cost is also an issue, my conscience will not allow me to go all out. I get more satisfaction out of driving the piss out of a semi-fast cheap car than I would out of a car that I've spent a fortune on.)

So far, I've looked at:
      VEMs
      MegaSquirt
      Motec
      Haltech
      SDS

Megasquirt and all it's variations are definitely the cheapest options but require more setup and troubleshooting time.
      Local competitor runs VEMs on his Miata and seems to be happy wth it. There is a local distributor/guru http://www.fireandfuel.ca but is a very busy and popular company.
      SDS seems simple, but maybe too simple and it's actually not cheap.

I am leaning towards VEMs: http://www.vems.co.uk/vems.html

Can anyone share their experiences and possibly push me in the right direction?

Modified by Sead at 3:04 PM 3-26-2008

Modified by Sead at 3:05 PM 3-26-2008

25. 03-26-2008 06:11 PM #25
      This is how it started:

But it's much cleaner now:

There may still be useless things on the motor (vacuum and coolant lines) but I woudl really like to only keep the key things on there.

26. Banned
      03-26-2008 06:18 PM #26
      cant say i have experiance with all you have listed, but i do have a fair amount of MS experiance, so ill share a bit of what ive learned.

MS is great on a budget, and once you get it working, its pretty user friendly. it is finicky by nature and a great place to learn without throwing out a few grand in the process. it works great for basic engine setups as well as more complex, its extremely expandable an aside from a few small things offers everything a higher dollar standalone can do. BUT it is a DIY universal type setup, so getting the ropes an sorting through all the info can be a bit much for some people.

SDS-pretty simple to hook up, seems to work pretty decent. but i personally hate the way you have to tune with it, and it leaves much to be desired as far as adjustabilty and fine tuning.

034-great features at a good price. seem to have many happy customers and having personally spoke to jevad (owner of 034) he is very willing to help out. the software is pretty difficult to grasp for a first timer, so if i were to go this route i would be looking for some experianced help.

EMS-http://www.emsnorthamerica.com/. my personal favorite. super fast processing, every option you could need, configurable for stock sensors an any ignition setup. The tunign software is amazing and almost too easy to use this would be my recomendation to you. A buddy of mine can get the stinger 4 for around $850. i am selling my ms to go EMS, after seeing it in action i was sold.

27. Banned
      03-26-2008 06:21 PM #27
      one thing i think should be mentioned is that the driveabilty will only come with tuning. the more tuning the better it will run. these are not the setups that you hook up fire and go drive off running perfect. they take effort to attain perfect results

there is no need for multiple maps in the instances you have listed, you will notice no difference in how the engine performs in any of these situations. if you want to run different boost settings or perhaps a race gas vs pump gas map, that would be more of the thing you would need to create a second group of maps for

Vehicles
      '79 Scirocco GLI, '83 BMW E21 316
      03-26-2008 06:22 PM #28
      what management will you be using with the 1.8t?

29. 03-26-2008 06:26 PM #29
      That's what I am trying to figure out, please see a couple posts above.

Does anyone know about the VVT in this car...are its capabilities limited to restricting emissions or can it adjust for higher output?

30. 03-26-2008 06:38 PM #30
      what's that lightweight battery, some after market **** or a group 51?

Vehicles
      '79 Scirocco GLI, '83 BMW E21 316
      03-26-2008 06:44 PM #31
      It's used to reduce emissions, I don't know of anyone who's managed to use it in a way to increase performance. Unplug and forget it, or replace it with the none variable tensioner from an AEB if you don't use the stock management.

I have 1 mk1 running a stock AEB on stock management, and another with a big turbo on 034 stage Ic. I'd go with stock if money is a big issue, and you are happy to chip it, but if you want to maximize it, and switch between maps for track/street, then an aftermarket management has got to be the way to go. Javad at 034 is a really helpful guy, and 034's product range is ever expanding. MS and vems are cheaper, but more involved. it all depends on what your plans are. I can tell you that boost is addictive, and that enough is never enough!

03-26-2008 06:51 PM #32
      I'm definitely diggin' it Sead. More vids, and pictures in the near future

-Rob

www.GoKraut.com

"I didn't break it, I just adjusted it out of spec!"

33. Banned
      03-26-2008 06:54 PM #33
      there is definatly no need to use different maps for the street/track unless you run different octane gas an want a more aggresive timing curve. an that will come into play with tuning.

a well tuned car on SEM will run great in daily situations as well as rip up on the track. there is no reason to use two maps or more for these things. you can tune for more boost, yet have the wastegate set at a lower psi, then turn it up on the track, no need for another map.

i daily drove my 16v for about 5 months, and tracked it several times, i have only the basic MS and found no use for the secondary map feature as of yet on the rally car, we tuned it on the street and it has two rallys with that setup an no problems. we are looking into running race gas for some events, and will then tune a second set of maps for the different octane gas

Modified by VWralley at 3:56 PM 3-26-2008

34. 04-13-2008 11:38 AM #34

Could somebody explain the concept of MS to me?

VWralley--->I recognize your cars from Grassroots Motorsports.

09 Yaris hatch and 05 Fuji Cross

35. Banned
      04-13-2008 02:05 PM #35
      the basic concept is the MS is a programmable fuel injection an spark setup. it replaces the CIS or Carbs in some cases. it allows full control of the spark an fuel. it is the same as any other "standalone" EFI (standalone as in its not tied into the factory wiring/control, EFI meaning electronic fuel injection)

do you mean the grassroots board? cause to my knowledge its never been in the mag

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast