Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Synthetic to Regular oil?

1. 02-10-2008 07:20 PM #1
      Hey guys had a quick question I'm hoping someone can answer...

My g/f's 2.0L Jetta was taken into a shop and they made the executive decision without asking to do an oil change with synthetic oil even though she's always used conventional...
      I'm hearing rumors of it being really bad to switch back to conventional oil (for sake of cost in this situation) and that the engine can seize or something. Any truth to this?

2. Banned
      02-10-2008 08:18 PM #2
      not really, buy honestly for the minimal cost difference, it really will keep the car runing better longer

3. 02-10-2008 09:44 PM #3
      there is much argument for using conventional oil in higher mileage engines. How the detergents in synthetic oil ruin the natural seal created by conventional oil around some worn out components. I know my entire service department at my dealership agrees. I use what VW recommends. Castrol 5 w 30 (Ontario winter) and 10 w 30 in the summer.

4. 02-10-2008 09:44 PM #4
      So going back to conventional after running 1 oil change with synthetic won't harm the engine?

Modified by Quattro1432 at 8:40 PM 2-10-2008

5. Banned
      02-10-2008 11:07 PM #5
      no, but running synthetic is better, as for the natural seal created b conventional oil, tat is horse siit those conventinal seals that form around ageing components are time bombs, they can leak at any moment and only cover up the problem not fix it, if you have worn seals replace them

Vehicles
      1995 Jetta GLX, 2010 Routan
      02-10-2008 11:08 PM #6
      I switched both my wife and my Jettas to synthetic at over 100k w/no problems at all. I do my own oil changes and Wal Mart has 5 quart jugs of Mobil1 and Castrol Syntec for around only $20! I just put in a jug of regular Castrol in my Jetta due to a blown head gasket/cracked head and don't expect any problems. I put in the regular dino oil since I plan on doing another oil change in a very short period of time due to having the head off and getting rid of any nasties left from having coolant in the oil.

Vehicles
      2006 Audi A3 Sport
      02-11-2008 10:00 AM #7
      I have never heard a logical reason why you can't switch back to conventional oil after running synthetic. If it wasn't leaking with synthetic, switching to conventional isn't going to make it magically start leaking either. Now you may develop leaks on a higher mileage engine when switching from conventional to synthetic but not the other way around.

I do recommend running synthetic oil. I've run synthetic in my car since the first oil change and I recently had the oil pan and valve cover off and I was amazed at how clean both of these were after 122k miles.

2006 Audi A3 Sport | 2.0T | 6MT | APR Stage I | Neuspeed P-Flow | VMR Vent Boost Gauge | S3 Pedals | 3" downpipe
      Previously: | 1998 Jetta GT | Lysolm Supercharged 2.0 | Loads of other mods | Daily Driven for 10 Years |

Vehicles
      00 Golf - 01 Forester - 03 Monster
      02-11-2008 10:40 AM #8
      I've switched back & forth on my 2.0L various times throughout the years. Never had a prob. The act of changing the oil is more important than synthetic vs regular.

Vehicles
      99 Acura 1.6El, 98 Jetta GT(gone), 91 Golf CL
      02-13-2008 09:12 AM #9
      Quote, originally posted by blackflygti »
      I've switched back & forth on my 2.0L various times throughout the years. Never had a prob. The act of changing the oil is more important than synthetic vs regular.

x2
      I ended up switching from synthetic to conventional after using synthetic for a long time. It just wasnt worth spending the money on a daily stock motor. I just change the Castrol 10w40 every 5k and it's fine.

Quote Originally Posted by barry2952 View Post
      So, not recommended for '50s engines?
      Quote Originally Posted by KahviVW View Post
      I think they require fresh oil squeezed from a live dinosaur. It's the only way.

10. 02-13-2008 09:23 AM #10
      Quote, originally posted by Quattro1432 »
      Hey guys had a quick question I'm hoping someone can answer...

My g/f's 2.0L Jetta was taken into a shop and they made the executive decision without asking to do an oil change with synthetic oil even though she's always used conventional...
      I'm hearing rumors of it being really bad to switch back to conventional oil (for sake of cost in this situation) and that the engine can seize or something. Any truth to this?

As long as you use a VW approved 502.00 oil you will be fine.