VWVortex.com - Broken Odometer
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Broken Odometer

1. 02-11-2008 03:28 PM #1
      I have an 88 Cabriolet that i bought in October. Inspection is due in March and friends have told me the odometer has to work to pass. The odometer hasn't worked since I bought it. But the trip and everything else on the cluster seems to work fine. Is this a problem with a gear in the cluster? I've searched but no one has this same exact problem. HELP!

Vehicles
      1986 Cabriolet Best Seller; 1990 Vanagon Westfalia; 2016 Golf GTI S
      02-11-2008 03:35 PM #2
      Quote, originally posted by JPX »
      Odometer Repair DIY ------------------------------------------------
      When I first bought my Cabriolet, I didn't think I'd drive it too much, so it didn't matter that the odometer was broken.

But now that I drive it to work and try to enjoy it as much as possible between repairs, I decided to take on repairing the odometer.
      There are several threads that describe various ways to fix it:
      www.4crawler.com
      - This was the first link I found on the MK1 FAQ. The entire site rocks, but the odometer writeup was for a much older odometer than I have.
      [IMG]http://*****************.com/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG] http://www.garageprosoftware.com/sci...h_odometer.htm
      - This was one of the best links with some great photos from dash removal to gear fixing. But since my red gear was okay, this didn't help me with my metal gear.
      [IMG]http://*****************.com/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG] http://www.vintagewatercooleds.com
      - Had a very detailed writeup on the disassembly of the speedometer. It had a great suggestion about using tape to hold the number wheels in place.
      http://www.drivewerks.com/tech/mult_gauge_repair.htm
      - This link about Porsche speedometers was interesting because the assembly is kind of similar. It also had the great suggestion about using tape to hold the number wheels in place.
      [IMG]http://*****************.com/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG] http://www.4130-products.com/step/odometer/index.htm
      Added thanks to sehaare. This is a great site that also mentions the metal gear spinning problem. Although it didn't provide any pictures about the modifications suggested.
      http://mysite.verizon.net/janvdb/vw/Body/speedo_fix.txt
      - Then I ran across this curious link. It mentioned "stamping the hub of the metal gear to shrink the inner diameter. This effectively makes the gear an interference fit on the shaft. This was exactly what I wanted.
      So I took mine apart (without breaking anything *whew*) and then taped it up. The red gear on the left turned out to be just fine, it was the grey metal gear on the right that was freewheeling.

Once I got the metal gear out, I took a screwdriver and punched the inner hub. You can see three of the punches on this shot. But I put four on both sides before reassembling.

And it totally worked! I drove my first 35 miles with a working odometer for the commute this morning.

Cabby-Info.com -- Your online guide to VW Cabriolets/Rabbit Convertibles
      Old Blue's Blog -- The adventures of a 1990 Westfalia
      "Fashion is a waste of money that could be better spent on, say, maintaining your car." ~James May

3. 02-11-2008 03:39 PM #3
      Thanks!

4. 07-27-2008 07:41 PM #4
      How did you remove the steering wheel? Did you need too?
      I have the same one and I'm afraid to break something.

Vehicles
      90, 92, 93 Cabriolet They own you.
      07-27-2008 08:42 PM #5
      No you don't have to remove the steering wheel.

Vehicles
      07-27-2008 10:56 PM #6
      Quote, originally posted by invintive »
      How did you remove the steering wheel? Did you need too?
      I have the same one and I'm afraid to break something.

You don't have to remove it, but removing it makes life a whole lot better removing the cluster. You simply have to pry out the center piece and undo the nut (21mm?). It's not that big of a deal.
      "Fashion is a waste of money that could be better spent on, say, maintaining your car." ~James May

7. 07-28-2008 12:16 AM #7
      Kinda Funny... I practically know which gear to fix, because it works in the winter!

8. 08-14-2008 11:41 PM #8
      I Fixed my Odometer, only to break my Speedometer! And Only the top two light turn on now !? Hard to see at night...
      Help?

9. Member
      Vehicles
      Former 1985 Cabriolet owner
      08-15-2008 03:43 PM #9
      I Fixed my Odometer, only to break my Speedometer!

Me, too. I snapped the little tiny speedo shaft off at the point it enters the back "guts". I tried with super glue and some careful soldering for a loooong time, but I wasn't able to fix it. Junk yard here I come. I suggest this, too.
      And Only the top two light turn on now !? Hard to see at night...
      Help?

You know those little light bulbs are replaceable, right? Very easy to replace once you have the cluster out. Only thing is, they are made of gold (well, seems like it) and are about $4/piece at my friendly neighborhood VW speciality shop. I replaced all mine like a year ago and the cluster is still dim. Next up for me is the LED swap. Lots of threads on that. Search is your friend, here.[IMG]http://*****************.com/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG]
      -dasdachshund
      -------------------------------
      A cowboy was out riding when a dude came along and hollered, "Git along, little doggie!"
      The next day the cowboy showed up with a dachshund.

Vehicles
      08-15-2008 07:38 PM #10
      Quote, originally posted by dasdachshund »
      You know those little light bulbs are replaceable, right? Very easy to replace once you have the cluster out. Only thing is, they are made of gold (well, seems like it) and are about $4/piece at my friendly neighborhood VW speciality shop. I replaced all mine like a year ago and the cluster is still dim. Next up for me is the LED swap. Lots of threads on that. Search is your friend, here.[IMG]http://*****************.com/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG]
      -dasdachshund

Get the to a junk yard....
      Look for a Saturn, SL or a Pathfinder.
      On the back of the instrument gauges are the blue and black and grey
      bulb holders. These holders are the same size as a Vdub. Better is that the bulbs are in a socket.
      If you get the ones out of the warning panel they are 5 watts over 2-3 for regular instrument (instant upgrade) The higher wattage bulbs won't melt your pod....
      If you want even brighter bulbs, carefully take the mylar off the lights, and pry the bulb cover off, remove that dull dingy green flim place the cover back on and use JB-weld to glue it back replace mylar, replace the bulbs.
      And if you go the Saturn route, run by your favorite parts place and pick up brand new bulbs (look up the car ie: 89 saturn sl and get the warning lights...

11. 08-16-2008 10:10 AM #11
      I have a PA inspector license and managed a Monro shop. The Odo doesn't necessarily have to work. The speedo does though.
      I don't think I've ever even checked the odometer on cars I've inspected.

Vehicles
      1986 Cabriolet WE
      08-16-2008 11:13 AM #12
      Kinda Funny... I practically know which gear to fix, because it works in the winter!

Mine, too! I can actually tell how many miles I've driven in cold temps before the cabin warms up enough to knock out the odometer... winter of 07-08 totaled 153 miles on my daily driver. This IS Texas. [IMG]http://*****************.com/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG]
      Monte Miller
      1986 WE Cabriolet
      1981 BMW R65
      1978 BMW R100S
      1995 Triumph Trophy 900

Vehicles
      1990 VW Cabriolet
      09-05-2010 03:01 PM #13
      pic refresh?

Vehicles
      09-05-2010 04:23 PM #14
      Quote Originally Posted by Toadster View Post
      pic refresh?
      D'oh! Looks like CarDomain did some upgrading and switched their galleries to Java.

Click here for the new PDF version (JPX's original pics included).

Vehicles
      1990 VW Cabriolet
      05-19-2012 04:18 PM #15
      twice now I've pulled the dash apart and disassembled the speedo - everything spins just fine as far as the odo and overall mileage counter when spinning by hand...

i even took the speedo gear/disc out and can hand spin that but when I assemble the whole worm gear into the speedo the worm gear won't spin at all...

the speedo works, just no odometer - so what would cause this not to spin when assembled?

Vehicles
      05-19-2012 09:16 PM #16
      The worm gear is adjustable on a 90

Vehicles
      1990 VW Cabriolet
      05-20-2012 06:29 PM #17
      yes, I made sure it wasn't too tight - or too loose, but I couldn't get it to spin "period"

For advertising information click HERE