Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Jetta TDi broken Axle Bolts

1. 02-12-2008 10:50 AM #1
      [EDIT] These are the CV shaft bolts.

So a co-worker of mine was driving her MKV TDi Jetta on Saturday. She was doing about 20 km an hour when her car suddenly did not go into gear. She pulled over and nothing, the car didn't move.

She had her car towed to a VW dealership, which name I will not mention. Apparently the right axle bolts broke.

They contacted her, to let her know that it was abuse by the driver and that she would have to pay the bill even though she still has Power train warranty AND EXTENDED warranty that she purchased.

I've never seen this before and I believe what she tells me, that the car was not abused in any way. Regarless, the warranty should cover this, or am I wrong here.

The bolts look f***ed up. Pic below.

Why wouldn't VW pay for this? I guess in VWs cause the customer is not right after all...

Input appreciated.

Car in question is a 2006 Jetta TDi, 5spd, 85,000 KMs.

Modified by ricas_gti at 9:53 AM 2-12-2008

Modified by ricas_gti at 10:11 AM 2-12-2008

2. 02-12-2008 10:55 AM #2
      Wow I have never seen anything like that.

Did she change suspension on the car?

DUB'N IN THE DOT

3. 02-12-2008 11:02 AM #3
      I'm confused, why are there 4 axle bolts? There should only be one on each side.

Anyway, even if they're not axle bolts, I'd tell her to call VW of Canada and complain. That's not right at all.

They tried pulling the "abuse" card on my once when my tranny blew on my Mk4 GTI. The service manager said "you must have been rocking it back and forth in the snow", which was a blatant lie, I had driven my mother's car in the snowstorm the day before. Funny part is, that was my 4th trip in the complain about the tranny.

4. 02-12-2008 11:03 AM #4
      Quote, originally posted by natskiboy »
      Wow I have never seen anything like that.

Did she change suspension on the car?

Car is 100% stock. I'll post up the service bill ASAP.

Quote, originally posted by Straz85 »
      I'm confused, why are there 4 axle bolts? There should only be one on each side.

Anyway, even if they're not axle bolts, I'd tell her to call VW of Canada and complain. That's not right at all.

This is what the Tech wrote down on the service bill as the cause:

Found CV Shaft Bolts Sheered off transmission, possible cause too much force on one wheel.

Modified by ricas_gti at 10:08 AM 2-12-2008

5. 02-12-2008 11:47 AM #5
      Did you hit any large pothole?

6. 02-12-2008 11:47 AM #6
      Quote, originally posted by bestvw »
      Did you hit any large pothole?

No, no pothole.

7. 02-12-2008 11:52 AM #7
      So how much did she pay?
      DUB'N IN THE DOT

8. Member
      Vehicles
      2K6 1K2 BRM / 2K8 7L6 BWF / 85 19 MF
      02-12-2008 11:55 AM #8
      Diesel with broken bolts attaching axles to the diff flanges? Quite normal from what I have heard from one VW Tech.

Was there anything done to the clutch/tranny in this car? These bolts should be always replaced once removed.

9. 02-12-2008 11:56 AM #9
      These are the bolts that hold the inner CV joint to the transmission output flange..unless she's had a CV boot replaced, they shouldn't have been touched...If she had one replaced on that side and the shop used an impact gun instead of a torque wrench to tighten these bolts they could very well have subjected them to "too much force" (the correct notation by the dealer tech should have been "bolts overtorqued...damage caused by abuse not part failure"). I've never heard of these bolts (there are 6 of 'em on each axle) ever failing due to normal operation. The most common problem is stripping of the "triple star" sockets due to lack of cleaning B4 attempting removal, but that has nothing to do with bolt fracturing! Let us know if this is a first ever failure...or did in fact someone work on the axle involved and over torque the bolts. I had some of my wheel bolts over torqued and stretched by a "DUH" tire shop once, lucky for me none failed B4 I rotated the tires myself later and discovered some of the lug bolts wouldn't hold torque since they'd been overtorqued and stretched beyond their yield point!
      96 Golf...Gone...But not forgotten..Great ride!
      2000 Passat GLX...Gone...But not forgotten either..have scars on my knuckles from all the "wrenching" to keep it on the road!
      2008 Rabbit S, VWsport springs/OEM shocks, GTI brakes all around, GTI rear swaybar...best balanced car I've had in a while!

10. 02-12-2008 12:10 PM #10
      She bought his car pre-owned. As far as she's had it, nothing with the tranny nor axles have been changed. However, before she purchased it, it's possible that something was done.

Vehicles
      2001 Jetta/ 2005.5 Jetta/CW 2013 Golf 4DR 2.5L
      02-12-2008 12:22 PM #11
      Quote, originally posted by ricas_gti »
      She bought his car pre-owned. As far as she's had it, nothing with the tranny nor axles have been changed. However, before she purchased it, it's possible that something was done.

BINGO...! Probably the previous owner changed the suspension and put the stock one back when sold the car back to the dealer. She should call the VW of Canada and complain.

Modified by mdonis at 4:58 PM 2-13-2008

12. 02-12-2008 12:29 PM #12
      Thanks for all the feedback. I will definitely let her know. That's an awesome point

13. Member
      Vehicles
      2K6 1K2 BRM / 2K8 7L6 BWF / 85 19 MF
      02-12-2008 12:38 PM #13
      Quote, originally posted by mdonis »
      Probably the previous owner changed the suspension and put the stock one back when sold the car back to the dealer. She should call the VW of Canada and complain.

I don't think these bolts are even touched while working on suspension. I would ask VW of Canada to find the history of this car and see if there was anything done to transmission or clutch.

In any case, she can complain to VW of Canada.

14. 02-12-2008 01:29 PM #14
      Quote, originally posted by maloosheck »
      In any case, she can complain to VW of Canada.

OK, she just did that... and basically they did **** all for her.

The QIT manager called her (on speaker phone, I heard the entire convo). Basically he refused to give her his last name, and once she called him rude his response was "takes one to know one".

WoW!!

VW service at it's best.

15. 02-13-2008 11:52 AM #15
      Quote, originally posted by Straz85 »

There are actually six on each side. They're the inner cv joint to transaxle bolts. It is unlikely that even a previous owner's suspected lowered suspension screwed those up; they don't need to be touched.

Unfortunately, the girl is already out of luck unless her extended warranty covers it. I doubt it is provided by VW of anything so she may have a claim.

Failing that, buy a new set of six axle bolts with three reinforcement plates. I recommend worldimpex.com. Get a tap set, a can of parts cleaner spray, and a set of triple-square sockets. Have the ******* dealer push the car outside. Jack it up in their lot and get that corner secured on a jackstand. Clean out the diff flange on the transaxle using the tap and parts cleaner. Line up two of the flange holes with the inner vc of the axle. Use one reinforcement plate for every two bolts. Iirc, torque them to 35ftlbs (double check that). Repeat with the other two plates and four bolts. Drop the car. issue the appropriate hand gesture to the dealership. Never return there for service again.

16. 02-13-2008 12:07 PM #16
      These bolts have never been mentioned as a "weak spot" in all the Vortex threads I've read..one hellava lot...if they were then all the guys with chipped turbo motors and a racin urge woulda been snappin em right and left for a long time now! Since that's never happened, these bolts had to have either been of faulty material..or have been abused by a mechanic sometime during their life....just drivin a TDI isn't gonna snap these puppies off!
      96 Golf...Gone...But not forgotten..Great ride!
      2000 Passat GLX...Gone...But not forgotten either..have scars on my knuckles from all the "wrenching" to keep it on the road!
      2008 Rabbit S, VWsport springs/OEM shocks, GTI brakes all around, GTI rear swaybar...best balanced car I've had in a while!

17. 02-13-2008 01:39 PM #17
      I agree, but the facts are they're broken and neither her dealer nor her VWoC rep are standing behind the car. She's got one foot in the grave as a second owner with no prior history on the car. It's an easy fix with the right tools and the parts are cheap to boot. I can't understand why the dealer won't zip it back up within an hour (okay, three to inflate his profit). This is, at worst, an overnight job to get parts from some warehouse that aren't on the shelf at the dealer.

Vehicles
      2006 Jetta TDI, 2001 Golf TDI, 1991 Jetta TD (sold)
      02-13-2008 02:02 PM #18
      That's ridiculous. There is no way those would break in normal operation. Either they were overtorqued or never tightened properly. It would cost the dealership almost nothing to replace them. I don't understand how these places stay open with the way they treat their customers.
      Once you go "clack", you never go back.

19. 02-13-2008 02:17 PM #19
      Quote, originally posted by rallydiesel »
      That's ridiculous. There is no way those would break in normal operation. Either they were overtorqued or never tightened properly. It would cost the dealership almost nothing to replace them. I don't understand how these places stay open with the way they treat their customers.

...a lot more to this story than we know.

Dealerships do not refuse warranty service lightly as people may think.

Perhaps they observed evidence of tampering or some external damage. We don't have enough information to come to an intelligent conclusion.

Vehicles
      2006 Jetta TDI, 2001 Golf TDI, 1991 Jetta TD (sold)
      02-13-2008 02:22 PM #20
      Well I had warranty work refused on a broken vacuum fitting based on the fact that I have a CCV filter which is a least six inches away and was installed about a year ago with no problems. So yes, dealerships will find anything to refuse warranty work.
      Once you go "clack", you never go back.

21. 02-13-2008 09:43 PM #21
      Quote, originally posted by cb1111 »
      ...a lot more to this story than we know.

Dealerships do not refuse warranty service lightly as people may think.

Perhaps they observed evidence of tampering or some external damage. We don't have enough information to come to an intelligent conclusion.

Not really... there isn't much more. I know this entire story. No signs of external damage at all. She asked that question to the QIT guy, and he didn't have an answer to it.

Previously the story went like this...

Basically my co-worker purchased a diesel after some I told her that was the way to go. She has a long commute. So she picked up the Jetta, was talked into purchasing the extended warranty, which IMO is a waste of money.

After she had purchased the car she had to go back to the dealership to change some faulty glow plugs. This dealership is so useless that it took them 4 tries to get it right. It was covered under warranty.

Then this problem happened. Basically what I stated previously is exactly what had happened. This car is 100% stock, no mods at all. She was driving the car on Saturday on a clear road, shifted the car into 3rd gear and the car basically died.

At the end she ended up paying the $160 for the repair. Even if it was her fault, which I know for a fact that it wasn't, why would the dealership lose 3 customers over $160 bill that SHOULD have been covered under Powertrain and/or Extended warranty??

AWFUL customer service from the dealership and VWoCanada, which did F*** all to make the customer happy.

Then people wonder why VW service is the worst around

BTW, the dealership is Cambridge VW in Ontario, Canada.

22. 02-13-2008 10:01 PM #22
      Quote, originally posted by ricas_gti »

Not really... there isn't much more. I know this entire story. No signs of external damage at all. She asked that question to the QIT guy, and he didn't have an answer to it.

Previously the story went like this...

Basically my co-worker purchased a diesel after some I told her that was the way to go. She has a long commute. So she picked up the Jetta, was talked into purchasing the extended warranty, which IMO is a waste of money.

After she had purchased the car she had to go back to the dealership to change some faulty glow plugs. This dealership is so useless that it took them 4 tries to get it right. It was covered under warranty.

Then this problem happened. Basically what I stated previously is exactly what had happened. This car is 100% stock, no mods at all. She was driving the car on Saturday on a clear road, shifted the car into 3rd gear and the car basically died.

At the end she ended up paying the $160 for the repair. Even if it was her fault, which I know for a fact that it wasn't, why would the dealership lose 3 customers over $160 bill that SHOULD have been covered under Powertrain and/or Extended warranty??

AWFUL customer service from the dealership and VWoCanada, which did F*** all to make the customer happy.

Then people wonder why VW service is the worst around

BTW, the dealership is Cambridge VW in Ontario, Canada.

...the dealership should be nominated for stupidest dealership ever. I can't imagine that VW would refuse this service claim. If I was your co-worker, then she should keep elevating it until she gets some satisfaction....

23. 02-14-2008 01:31 AM #23
      The only dealers who try and refuse warranty work are the ones who haven't figured out how to rob VW yet............

My drivers seat heater stopped working after my car was in an accident, the se4ats airbag popped and the seat was recovered by the body shop. Since the passenger still worked and the drivers worked before the bodyshop touched it, obviously it was the shops fault. I took the car to the dealer expecting to send the bill to the bodyshop which was expecting to pay for it.

Well the dealer insisted it was the Climatronic module, which it wasn't. Then it was the brand new seat heating pad (which required the seat to be recovered again), which it wasn't. Then the wiring harness actually was the problem. VW dealers can't charge customers for parts and labor that don't fix the problem, but they will tell VW that every one of those items somehow went bad at the exact same time and collect money on all of them.

Rather than the bodyshop paying the dealer for replacing a wiring harness, VW paid the dealer for replacing the Climatronic, the seat heater pad, re-covering the seat, and replacing the harness. Oh well, it's not my money

24. 02-14-2008 10:01 AM #24
      Quote, originally posted by blackvento36 »
      The only dealers who try and refuse warranty work are the ones who haven't figured out how to rob VW yet.

That, or they've been highlighted as a dealership who does engage in those kinds of practices and VW has responded with more scrutiny.

$160 sounds about right for the time and parts for a shop to fix this. I'd still press through the customer satisfaction channels to have it honored as a warranty repair with burden of proof of abuse on the dealer. They asserted it, so they should be able to prove it. Otherwise, a young lady driving a bone stock secondhand Jetta TDI as a commuter gives me no inkling of unusual use. Not on her part anyway. If the dealership has evidence of abuse by a prior owner, previous work to the car, or anything more tangible than their opinion, they can put that forward. It really is VW that ought to pay for this.

25. 02-14-2008 01:10 PM #25
      Quote, originally posted by scotaku »
      That, or they've been highlighted as a dealership who does engage in those kinds of practices and VW has responded with more scrutiny.

$160 sounds about right for the time and parts for a shop to fix this. I'd still press through the customer satisfaction channels to have it honored as a warranty repair with burden of proof of abuse on the dealer. They asserted it, so they should be able to prove it. Otherwise, a young lady driving a bone stock secondhand Jetta TDI as a commuter gives me no inkling of unusual use. Not on her part anyway. If the dealership has evidence of abuse by a prior owner, previous work to the car, or anything more tangible than their opinion, they can put that forward. It really is VW that ought to pay for this.

Awesome point!! In this case I think they were trying to prove a point without any solid proof.