Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New Key Programming

1. 05-21-2002 09:15 AM #1
      Anyone know how I can program my own new key transmitter?

THanks

2. 05-21-2002 10:30 AM #2
      if your talking about the chip inside the key,you need to use either the vagcom software or visit a dealer
      if its the remote for the alarm,that you can do by yourself.

3. Banned
      05-21-2002 11:04 AM #3
      The procedure is in the manual.

4. 05-21-2002 11:06 AM #4
      quote:
      if your talking about the chip inside the key,you need to use either the vagcom software or visit a dealer
      if its the remote for the alarm,that you can do by yourself.

Yes, what he said. If you search, you will find instructions on how to reprogram the remote functions of a key but you will not be able to drive the car with it until ALL of your keys have been reprogrammed by a VAG COM.

5. 05-21-2002 12:18 PM #5
      I would be interested in finding out how to program the remote. Is the chip in the actual key blade or in the remote itself. If its in the blade, I can switch the blade from my old key and program the new remote myself right?

How do I program the remote myself?

6. Member
      05-21-2002 12:19 PM #6
      I read that you can just program your key somehow..something like turn igniftion..offf..button..something like that.

And the key is just laser cut for your car.

(I think..search)

Samc

7. 05-21-2002 12:41 PM #7
      quote:
      I would be interested in finding out how to program the remote. Is the chip in the actual key blade or in the remote itself. If its in the blade, I can switch the blade from my old key and program the new remote myself right?

How do I program the remote myself?

The chip is in the remote part of your key, not the blade.

To program the remote functions on a new key, get in your car with the car off and the driver side window rolled down.

insert the new key into the ignition

insert your vallet key in the driver side door lock (outside the car)

turn the vallet key towards lock and hold it there

while it is held towards lock, press the unlock button on your new remote for
      2 seconds.

let go

press it again for 2 seconds

let go and you should hear an alarm honk or something like that.

This is from memory so it may not be right. I would recommend searching archives.

8. 05-21-2002 11:28 PM #8
      the key programing worked perfectly and saved me some $$$

Thanks for the info

jc

Vehicles
      '01 S/C VR6 '12 TTRS
      03-24-2003 01:57 AM #9
      you coul;d just swap circuit boads
      i did it
      swapped boards and blade part
      now i have a new clean key
      2012 Sepang RS Banger
      2001 Supercharged Galactic Jetta Whore

10. 03-29-2003 07:30 PM #10
      will this trick work on all MKIV keys? I have the old style key (and the key chain clips broke) I have been thinking about getting used ones off e-bay. Will they work or do I need to buy the same style key? Could I use an audi key on my car also? And just so I get it straight, after I do this the new key will work like my old one (auto lock doors, trunk, alarm)?

11. 04-17-2003 09:50 PM #11
      i work at a dealership..... does this mean i can program MY key (FOB) to open another VW???

12. Member
      Vehicles
      2001 VR6 Jetta IV
      04-17-2003 10:05 PM #12
      quote:
      i work at a dealership..... does this mean i can program MY key (FOB) to open another VW???

Yeah, but you NEED to have two keys. One for the ignition and one for the door lock

13. Member
      Vehicles
      2001 VR6 Jetta IV
      04-17-2003 10:09 PM #13
      quote:
      will this trick work on all MKIV keys? I have the old style key (and the key chain clips broke) I have been thinking about getting used ones off e-bay. Will they work or do I need to buy the same style key? Could I use an audi key on my car also? And just so I get it straight, after I do this the new key will work like my old one (auto lock doors, trunk, alarm)?

Yeah, i got the older key style and bought a new remote section for like 20 bucks and programmed it myself. Also did it for my mom b/c i put her remote through the washer

Im not sure if the new VW remotes will fit on the old key section...

and yes, after you re-program the remote all the functions should work.

14. 04-17-2003 10:18 PM #14
      so your telling me i can make my keys work for any car on the lots....i.e., if I go to a VW dealership somewhere else, I can program my key to open their doors and their trunk.... and then i can ALSO swap the key only part with them and threy will never know... i can steal a VW that easily?... wow, the radios are easy to steal... the cars are easy to steal... these cars need more security!

15. 05-07-2003 11:57 PM #15
      i'm having a hard time doing this.
      when you actually turn the valet key & hold it. then window closes & door gets locked. can somebody please help me with brief information??
      thank you.

16. 05-08-2003 09:12 PM #16
      bump

17. 05-29-2003 06:20 AM #17
      Quote, originally posted by madtiger »
      i'm having a hard time doing this.
      when you actually turn the valet key & hold it. then window closes & door gets locked. can somebody please help me with brief information??
      thank you.

he didnt say to close the door...

18. 06-02-2003 02:07 PM #18
      i have a calet key that isnt coded to my car yet, can the process be done in reverse to the valet key???? i can only try this two more times before the cmputer locks out all my keys

19. 06-02-2003 02:13 PM #19
      How do I make mine make me toast and orangejuice in the morning? Thanks.

20. 07-08-2003 12:44 AM #20
      Ok, I bought a new key from fellow vortexer. I got the key and used programming instructions in owners manual and the remote funtions work perfect. NOW HERES THE PROBLEM I'M HAVING.....The key needs to be rekeyed for my car. None of my local key shops/locksmiths have blanks(a couple of the locksmiths can cut blanks((ie-valet type))but dont carry the blanks to work with keyfob. I went to dealer service center, they "broke" key in half, said they have to order the key section cut per vin. Is this correct?? Is there a better(cheaper) option. Anybody work at a dealer and have any knowledge???? They wanted about 60.00 just for key half of key.. HEEELLLPPPP

21. 07-08-2003 01:23 AM #21
      Man am I glad that this post came along. I was on the verge of posting the same questions listed thus far. Here's a bump for you.

22. 07-08-2003 01:47 AM #22
      ok my brother just got a new GTI and has 2 keys...he is letting me have one of them since i have the older style key. Can I use his new style key for my 2001 jetta? i mean the whole thing, not just the remote part....thanks

23. 09-17-2003 12:50 PM #23
      So...I'm going to buy a blank key from and http://www.streetkeys.com and then i can do the basic programing and use it for remote start key?

I do not need it to be cut to start my car? correct?

24. 09-17-2003 12:55 PM #24
      can regular
      Quote, originally posted by tORiSbORa »
      So...I'm going to buy a blank key from and http://www.streetkeys.com and then i can do the basic programing and use it for remote start key?

I do not need it to be cut to start my car? correct?

Who else can cut these keys (but the dealer)

25. 09-17-2003 12:57 PM #25
      Quote, originally posted by RedDevil »
      can regular

Who else can cut these keys (but the dealer)

I do not need the key cut. Thats my question..if I buy a blank key and program it the way people did above it will work for remote start?

26. 09-18-2003 12:47 AM #26
      I have a question...
      My friend bought used 99' Jetta not to long ago. The problem is that it only came with one key wich I assume that it's Valet key since it's not a flip key that doesn't have remote attached. Now he wants to buy a new key(a key that flips out w/ remote). Guess what?? The dealer asked him to pay $200 for it. All he wants is remote. Do you guys have any idea??? need help here... Thanks inadvance..

27. 09-18-2003 02:57 AM #27
      Quote, originally posted by Tarmac Pro »
      I have a question...
      My friend bought used 99' Jetta not to long ago. The problem is that it only came with one key wich I assume that it's Valet key since it's not a flip key that doesn't have remote attached. Now he wants to buy a new key(a key that flips out w/ remote). Guess what?? The dealer asked him to pay $200 for it. All he wants is remote. Do you guys have any idea??? need help here... Thanks inadvance..

You can pick up a remote (with key) on ebay for $11.00 You will have to order the key (for your friends car) from the dealer. You can knock out the retaining bin on the remote and install the new key on it yourself in 5 min

-T99inFL-
      1999 Jetta VR6...GIAC...gone...
      2003 Jetta 1.8T...GIAC...gone...
      2006 Jetta TDI, Package2, soon to be Malone...
      2010 Audi A4 Quattro, Premium Plus

28. 09-18-2003 03:18 AM #28
      so..can I reprogram the remote for my friend's car eventhough it's programed for the other car before? If so, is it possible to reprogram the remote by using the valet key that came with the car??

BTW,it's 99' Jetta GLS w/ VR6. so I believe that it came with keyless entry,right?

Modified by Tarmac Pro at 7:46 AM 9-18-2003

29. 09-18-2003 10:42 PM #29
      I have reprogrammed remotes with the correct key attached.

Part of the sequence is to place the key (attached to the remote) in the driver door and turn the key to lock it. Then press the lock or unlock button, wait 2 seconds then press button again.
      I have not tried putting a valet key in the door, turning it, then pressing the button of the remote. It may be possible to do so.

-T99inFL-
      1999 Jetta VR6...GIAC...gone...
      2003 Jetta 1.8T...GIAC...gone...
      2006 Jetta TDI, Package2, soon to be Malone...
      2010 Audi A4 Quattro, Premium Plus

30. 09-28-2003 04:50 PM #30
      If your friend can open his trunk with the one key, it is not the Valet key (small point of discussion).

Switchblade keys are available from aftermarket suppliers for around $80. I have also purchased them on ebay for as little as $50. I've had one bad experience with a locksmith ruining a blank key.

As to whether or not the 99 uses a 'chipped' key, I tend to believe it doesn't - my local VW dealer says 'yes', but the locksmith says 'no' (he has a device that supposedly can tell if there's a chip in the key), and an online source (streetkeys) also says 'no'.

I've also had the switchblade key apart (removed the pin in order to separate the key blade from the rest) and for the life of me cannot see any indication of a chip and cannot believe they could place a chip inside before pouring molten metal around it to form the key blank.

I'm also fairly confident that there's no chip in the remote (just the remote acutating device) because I've completely swapped out everything but the metal key from another transmitter and the car still starts.

All that said, has anyone seen a source for just a blank blade? VW has 'em, but at $90!!! Sure seems a waste to have a perfectly good transmitter lying around because the key got messed up.

-bb

31. 10-12-2003 05:40 AM #31
      I would have to agree in regards to the waste of a transmitter. I got an extra from ebay and the dealer said it was going to be 80 for them to re-key and another 60 for the remote... I was like... hmmmm... no.
      This is excellent info. Even if I have to pay dubba dub dub to key it, it's better than both costs together! I still come in under what they wanted for a new one.

32. 04-23-2004 03:33 AM #32
      I recently broke my switchblade key so I bought another one from ebay. Anyways, I got my old blade out and reprogrammed the remote with no problem. My problem is that my car won't start now with my original key. I have to use my valet key to drive. Does anyone know how to fix the problem without having to go to the dealer? The remote works fine....my battery will come on, but the engine won't turn over.

Vehicles
      2013 Passat TDI, 1959 Vw Bug
      04-23-2004 04:00 AM #33
      Quote, originally posted by djsurf82 »
      My problem is that my car won't start now with my original key. I have to use my valet key to drive. Does anyone know how to fix the problem without having to go to the dealer?

DJsurf, The problem is that you car has what is called an immobilier in the car. The Key has a computer chip located in the top portion of the key that disables your immboilizer. But your computer must be programmed to recognize that new key. As long as you have your SKC (secret key code) that came with your car when it was bought, you can find someone local with a vag com. But if you don't have that (or anyone in your area with a vag com) looks like you might have to go to the dealership. As for some of the other questions, The 99's don't have immobilizers. So I believe you could use any key to start it. But you will need to get the right blade and program the alarm. If you have a 2000 with the old style (rounded buttons) you can get a 2001 Key (part number 1J0 959 753 T ) and get it programmed to work on your car. I know this from personal experience. A 2002 and new key will not work on older cars because of different immobilizer chips.

Again, on the 99's, I am not completely if you can use any key. Your only option for a new style key may be the same as us 2000 peeps and have to use the 1J0 959 753 T key. You can find them on E-bay for relatively cheap.

34. 04-25-2004 11:10 AM #34
      would an audi remote work on a VW car?
      part # 4D0 837 231 P

my car has HLO 1JO 959 753 F

would this work or shoudl I forget about it and find a VW remote?

35. 04-26-2004 09:49 PM #35
      My dealer said I have to arder a new key/remote combo after I lost my main key at an amusement park.

Does $138 + $40 to program sound right? No other sources for key + remote?

sound like a good business to get into!

Frustrated in CT!!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast