Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Car 'skips' when decelerating???

1. 02-19-2008 10:10 AM #1
      I drive about 25 miles to work each day usually at highway speeds (~75mph).

At the end of my trip as I'm coasting down the exit ramp and starting to apply my brakes, at around 30mph my car 'skips' for a split second.

It's hard to describe...it feels almost as if I've hit a patch of icy road and the ABS kicks in for a split second, but it's a little more severe than the feel of the ABS system activating. I don't know if it's a rough transmission downshift or what...but very annoying and hopefully not a sign of worse things to come.

The car has about 14k miles on it. It's a 3.6L Passat Wagon. Any ideas or similar experiences?

2. 02-19-2008 10:21 AM #2
      When driving in S mode, the transmission in my 4Mo wagon has very pronounced downshifts when decelerating. This may be what you're experiencing. Downshifts in D while decelerating are almost unnoticeable.

3. 02-19-2008 11:45 AM #3
      I agree...most of the time I don't notice my down shifts. (I don't think I've ever used S mode - which I assume is the 'manual' tiptronic mode?).

But in the case that I've described above, it almost feels as if I've hit something because it's a very sudden/abrupt jarring type of event that lasts a split second. It used to startle me every morning going to work, but then I noticed a pattern. I used to think it was the exit ramp (which is in disrepair) and the ABS was engaging, but I've noticed this on other drives as well. I'll be taking it in for service soon. Maybe something will show up in the computer.

Vehicles
      2010 VW GTI
      02-19-2008 12:32 PM #4
      Quote, originally posted by pvillepassat »
      I agree...most of the time I don't notice my down shifts. (I don't think I've ever used S mode - which I assume is the 'manual' tiptronic mode?).

No, there is a separate auto "S" mode that changes the shift pattern to change gears at a higher RPM thus making your car "sportier." It's one step past "D" on the shifter and marked with an "S," I think all our autos have it but I could be wrong.

This "S" mode is separate from moving the shifter to the right for the "manual" tip mode.

Now, about your problem, are the roads where you experience this bumpy (potholed, warped pavement, etc)? I have the same problem when I'm braking on bumpy roads, the ABS seems over sensitive and kicks in and scares me because I can't stop...

Modified by RobMan8023 at 11:33 AM 2-19-2008

5. 02-19-2008 02:09 PM #5
      I know exactly the problem you are describing. I've experienced it the other day. On my way to/from work I slow down from higher speeds to about 10-30 mph to go through the EZPASS toll.

The problem I experienced is not related to ABS or bumps in the road. It is simply an occasional rough downshift from the tranny. BTW, I always keep it in D, not S or tiptronic mode.

It doesn't happen that often, maybe 2 or 3 times in 12k miles. If it starts happening more frequent I will mention it to the service department though.

6. Member
      Vehicles
      2009 CC Lux 3.6 4motion
      02-19-2008 02:12 PM #6
      Sounds like the common downshift problem that others have experienced. Basically the torque converter "forgets" to unlock after an extended 6th gear drive.

This only really happens when coasting down, or braking from a highway cruise of 15miles or more. I've only had it happen to me 3 or 4 times but yet it's quite a jolt.

7. 02-19-2008 03:44 PM #7
      Thanks for the clarification. I only use "D" mode when driving.

I thought at first it was the road conditions (as the pavement is fairly warped on the exit ramp) and the ABS system, but I've experienced the issue on smoother patches.

It actually happened this morning going through a toll plaza (similar to what was mentioned in a later post). That stretch of pavement through the toll booth is fairly smooth/defect free.

8. 02-19-2008 03:48 PM #8
      Thanks for the input and probable diagnosis.

Has anyone gotten this torque converter issue looked at by their dealership? I use an independent mechanic (VWerks in Falls Church, VA). I will have them look at it soon and see what they think.

I'll post back if I find anything out. Has anyone seen this topic posted elsewhere in the forum? I wasn't quite sure what keywords to try.

Mike

9. Member
      Vehicles
      2009 CC Lux 3.6 4motion
      02-19-2008 04:29 PM #9
      Quote, originally posted by pvillepassat »
      Thanks for the input and probable diagnosis.

Has anyone gotten this torque converter issue looked at by their dealership? I use an independent mechanic (VWerks in Falls Church, VA). I will have them look at it soon and see what they think.

I'll post back if I find anything out. Has anyone seen this topic posted elsewhere in the forum? I wasn't quite sure what keywords to try.

Mike

Not sure if a fix has been done... problem is, it can be very sporadic so getting a tech to witness it is pretty difficult. Heck, it may even be a software issue.

10. 02-19-2008 04:46 PM #10
      TSB on this problem. Easy and free software fix under warranty. Something about the computer allowing a valve to bleed off during highway driving.........................................

11. Banned
      02-19-2008 04:53 PM #11
      I had this same issue until the OJ software update.....gone since then....I'm not sure if this is addressed in the OJ update, or they performed additional software updates at that time.

the issue does have a resolution, contact your dealer.

12. Member
      Vehicles
      2009 CC Lux 3.6 4motion
      02-19-2008 05:45 PM #12
      Quote, originally posted by LSinLV »
      I had this same issue until the OJ software update.....gone since then....I'm not sure if this is addressed in the OJ update, or they performed additional software updates at that time.

the issue does have a resolution, contact your dealer.

You know, come to think of it... I don't think mine has done it since the OJ update.

OP... have you have the OJ update done? If not you're missing out on a lot more than just the down shift fix.

13. 02-19-2008 06:18 PM #13
      Nope, haven't had the software update. Looks like I'll be taking it in soon to see if that solves the problem.

14. 02-23-2008 11:29 PM #14
      I have had the software update for this EXACT issue.

It has fixed the downshift issue after driving at highway speed. One thing I notice is that now when decelerating, the car stays in 4th much longer... possibly below 20mph in some situations....

Vehicles
      B6 Passat 2.0 Turbo
      03-03-2008 07:24 PM #15
      i have the same problem to....im glad I found this post i thought i was the only one who had this problem
      ???

16. 03-03-2008 09:36 PM #16
      Hey, I was the original poster for this topic. I had the TCM (transmission control module) and ECM (engine control module) software updated under warranty. (I guess this is the 'OJ12' update?). The problem seems to have gone away.

IMO, the 'feel' of the driving has changed slightly after these updates (most notably in lower gears).

If you're in the Washington DC metro area, I have to recommend Lindsay VW in Dulles....superb service!

17. 03-03-2008 10:35 PM #17
      I too had this same issue. driving on the highway and at the exit ramp car would down shift at about 30mph and heard a loud bang, thought my trans fell out of the car. scarred the piss out of me.

i have a 2.0t vw passat wolfsberg.

brought it in for 10k service, had software update on ecu and tcu. I brought it to another dealer to get 2nd opinion and the techs computer said the same thing about this issue " driving on the expressway and while on the exit ramp car makes loud noise when down shifting at around 30 mph" that is basiclly what it said when i read it. the tech asked me if i had the software update cause when he tried to update it it already had the latest version. bringing it in on thursday to leave it with the tech for a couple days.

Modified by cosm77 at 6:08 AM 3-4-2008

Vehicles
      B6 Passat 2.0 Turbo
      03-03-2008 10:46 PM #18
      ok so if I go to the dealer and get the upgrades is that gunna effect my chip?
      ???

19. 03-03-2008 11:02 PM #19
      if you get the ECU and TCU flashed it will erase it.

20. 03-04-2008 08:53 AM #20
      It's a necessary evil for the tranny though...

Unless you like the feeling of getting hit from behind at every off ramp...

21. 03-04-2008 10:08 AM #21
      the tsb about the trans valve body replacement would that apply to the 2007 passats or are the transmissions for those models a different design then the trans on the 07 2.0t passats