Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Can I use electrical tape on spark plug wires? Prevent future Arcing?

1. 03-11-2008 11:30 AM #1
      My car was misfiring.

I sprayed the coilpack (12v VR6). I saw a few different spots of blue arc.
      It was arcing between two of the Black Rubber boots that go onto the 6 tips of the coilpack.
      I replaced two of the wires which i suspected where the problem. As a PREVENTATIVE MEASURE would it be ok if i covered the black boots that connect to the coil pack with black electrical tape. Just so they dont arc between eachother again?

Oh and the misfire problem isnt fixed. Looks like there is arcing between one of the hex bolts and the coilpack...looks like im going to have to JB Weld it AGAIN!

Thanks in advance.

Vehicles
      AWD BT 20TH and EVO VII RS
      03-11-2008 11:31 AM #2
      It would be a temp fix at best. Just order new wires.

Vehicles
      2002 Bora TDI, 1994 2.0 16v Corrado, 1991 MK2 Golf, 1983 MK1 Golf Driver, MK4 Golf, 1971 Fastback
      03-11-2008 11:32 AM #3
      You'll spend more time messing around trying to get it working properly.
      Just buy a new coilpack and save yourself the hassle.

4. 03-11-2008 11:43 AM #4
      Quote, originally posted by Bazmcc »
      You'll spend more time messing around trying to get it working properly.
      Just buy a new coilpack and save yourself the hassle.

5. 03-11-2008 11:50 AM #5
      Ive tried the JB Weld before...seemed to work fine...i think i must have missed a spot around the bolt when i originally did it. And as for the wires...i already replaces the two faulty ones...but i just wanna know if its ok to tape them (the new ones) as a future preventative measure.

Vehicles
      09 A4 S-line
      03-11-2008 11:54 AM #6
      Its not ok,

Modified by 1_clean_jetta at 12:03 PM 3-11-2008

Vehicles
      2001 Mojave GTI GLX
      03-11-2008 11:57 AM #7
      the spark was probably jumping from the terminals on the coil pack, not the wires themselves. I know at least 3 of my terminals were cracked and arcing, I JB welded EVERYTHING on the pack except for the metal contacts and now it's fine.

Electrical tape wont do much

"Turning right in fifth gear from the left hand lane into the wrong end of a one-way street while indicating left, if at all."
      All the custom, none of the cool.
      "Trying to be the cool kid is so cool." - MkIV Scene

8. 03-11-2008 11:58 AM #8
      I don't think its your wires. You say that the coil pack was arching before and you tried to jb weld it. I think the tips on the coil pack are just arching to each other and going through the wire boot that goes over top of them.

9. 03-11-2008 11:59 AM #9
      lol beat me to it. you must type faster then me dremhmrk2 lol

Vehicles
      2001 Mojave GTI GLX
      03-11-2008 12:01 PM #10
      Quote, originally posted by JohnsonGTI »
      lol beat me to it. you must type faster then me dremhmrk2 lol

"Turning right in fifth gear from the left hand lane into the wrong end of a one-way street while indicating left, if at all."
      All the custom, none of the cool.
      "Trying to be the cool kid is so cool." - MkIV Scene

11. 03-12-2008 07:45 PM #11
      Quote, originally posted by JohnsonGTI »
      I don't think its your wires. You say that the coil pack was arching before and you tried to jb weld it. I think the tips on the coil pack are just arching to each other and going through the wire boot that goes over top of them.

damn, i wasnt aware that the arc's could go through the rubber boots. Too bad i already payed to replaced those two wires. I guess its good i kept the old ones.

Thanks for the advice. I redid the JB Weld and i covered the coilpack even more thoroughly....nothing is uncovered except metal bottom and inside of the 6 plugs. hopefully it solves it.

12. 03-12-2008 08:11 PM #12
      yea it can go right through the boots and wires. I have touched bad wires before on a Rabbit and got shocked pretty bad, needless to say I don't do that anymore. lol