VWVortex

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Forge TIP for the Ko4-20: My DIY and Review =D

Vehicles
      13' Scirocco R, 01' Jetta s256
      03-13-2008 01:45 AM #1
      Let me start this write up off with a question -

"Is it really worth getting a Silicone Turbo Inlet Pipe for the ko4-20?"

I didn't think so when I did my ko4-20 swap, but as you'll be able to see while you read in the thread, it's a MUST have for this turbo.

Personally, I waited months before thinking about getting a silicone turbo inlet. I couldn't justify spending $170+ on a piece of silicone, but after problems i encountered and a bit of research, i found it's worth every penny.

I was having problems since i put the Audi 225 TIP on the car in the beginning. I would get very strange boost drops at redline, 20-12 psi, 20-10 psi, etc. and when the car would enter boost, it seemed kind of rough, as if flow wasn't quite right. This is when i got in contact with Angel and Mike at Forge Motorsports. I discussed with them the problems i was having with my boost and what might be going on, i was suspicious of the TT225 TIP collapsing. From what they told me and the tests that they've done, it's a fact, the TT pipe is the weak point in the system and is notorious for failing.

At :12-17 of this video you'll be able to see how the TT225 fails under boost http://www.forgemotorsport.com/media/intake.mpg

With that being said, i wondered to myself if i could be getting more than just 19-20psi out of my turbo and if when i ran my car on the race file, what problems would i encounter then if i kept the stock inlet? I decided enough was enough and ordered one from Mike and Angel. I'd like to also add that when purchasing the pipe, have them send you clamps for it as well, they're great quality clamps and really should be the only clamps used on the silicone.

All items were packed very well, and shipping was quick. Mike and Angel at Forge are great guys to deal with; my full review Forge and their Turbo inlet will follow the Install.

Before Install
      You'll need to get these things in order to make everything work properly. (i got all mine from a local AutoZone)
      2 Pre-bent hoses and a few others:

- Hose #4202 (a 90 degree bend into a long straight)
      - Hose #3008 (a big loop almost like a U)
      - (1) E-Z coil 3/4" Part number: GY34UBP
      With these next 1, it's for the PCV valve relocation; i can’t seem to remember which size it is though, 5/8 or 3/4. I'm pretty sure it's 5/8 but just to be sure, when you go into AutoZone, bring the PCV valve with you if you can to see if it'll fit. Very sorry about that (if someone finds out which it is, please let me know!)
      - (1) 3/4 or 5/8 heater core connector
      - About an additional 4 medium size clamps

and if you don’t have this as well from your ko4 install, you'll need a Silicone reducer 45 degree angle, 2 1/4" - 2"

Tools
      - 2 Screw drivers, medium and long
      - A small socket set with a small to large extension
      - If you have one-time use clamps, then something to cut those
      - Lubricating oil
      - Rags

Install Time!

What i started with:

For reference, the items i have around or connected to the inlet are:

- N75 J valve
      - 710n DV
      - Stock PCV valve
      - Godspeed FMIC (I’m sure many of you know my DIY on that as well)

A more close up view

First things first! disconnect the: MAF, diverter valve hose going to the intercooler, N75 valve lines, and top intercooler pipe(if you're FMIC'd), just be sure to plug the top of the turbo where you took the intercooler pipe out to not get anything into the turbo, that wouldn't be good!

I usually like to leave in all valves in, just before i any TIP out, just so nothing gets into the pipe, but you may do it different and that's fine.

Next up, Take out the diverter valve, n75 valve(i left mine plugged in and pushed it to the side in the engine bay), and PCV valve.

Now start to take out the turbo inlet pipe. Unscrew/Unratchet the bottom clamp connecting the TIP to the turbo. Once disconnected, start to pull, it should start to slide out fairly easily. MAKE SURE to not have the inlet hitting anything too bad when taking it out, you don't want to break/snap something in the process. I don’t have any pics while i was taking it out, just when it was out:

A couple things i was REAL happy about ( ) was when i looked at my TT turbo inlet after it was out of the car. This is what i saw:

Cracked and well worn, this inlet is COOKED. The PCV valve ripped right out of it when i barely pulled on it, so to say the least, my inlet was collapsing im sure (this inlet, to my knowledge, only had about 40k on it)

With that junk 225 inlet out, you want to remove this piece(circled in yellow) from it as you'll need to put this on the Forge Inlet.

Here it is transferred onto the Forge inlet, clamp it well!

Now to tackle the PCV valve relocation. Take the heater hose connector you got from your local auto supply store and connect it to the TIP. (ignore the heater core hose i have on it, this was a prototype of it, but was not the final. Only thing that should be in the inlet is the connector) It should look like this (sorry for the blurry pic, there’s more in the finished product below)

Things scattered in my driveway

Alright, now with those connected, let's get the Forge Inlet in there!
      First start by taking some of the lubricant, and rubbing it on the inner side of the of the inlet where the turbo meets the pipe (the smaller hole opposite of the big hole). Then start by gradually sliding the inlet in between everything(make SURE to go OVER the heater core hoses, etc. NOT under.). Once lined up with the turbo, start to push on it. It takes a little bit of muscle to get it fully onto the inlet, and you should know when you're all the way on.

Remember, the ko4 has a lip to where the inlet can’t go any further, see here:

So this is what you should see when it's fully on:

Make sure to tighten the clamp that's on the turbo TIGHT! Use a socket rather than a screwdriver for that.

Starting to come together!

Now we're starting to piece everything back together, first put back on the MAF and filter (i choose to put a MBC on originally, but in the end put the N75 J valve back on)

Now to put the PCV back in
      First take the prebent hose #4202, that should look like this:

and put it onto the turbo inlet is where the already existing heater hose connecter is, on the 90 degree bend side. Once this is in and clamped, put the PCV valve back in and connect it to the stock hose. There shouldn't be any crimps in the line. Hopefully this picture will help out with the idea

Next up is putting the top intercooler pipe back in, so that you can start to make test fitments for when the DV goes back. Get that 45 degree coupler on there, it should look like this

and just so you know the angle the pipe should be at (also gives you a preview of how the DV is going to work) :

Connect the couplers and make sure the clamps are TIGHT, learn from my mistake and awesome boost leak on the highway because a clamp wasn't completely tight

Putting the DV back in isn't bad either. First grab the pre-bent hose #3008, which is shaped like a U. Start by test fitting the connection between the DV and the nipple from the intercooler pipe, it should go on like this:

That bend will crimp just a tiny bit at the bottom side once everything's in, SO before putting it in, take your E-Z coil and put it on the hose, molding it so that it won’t crimp.

When installing, you want to make sure that the bend goes above the N75 nipple that's sticking out of the TIP. This next picture should describe what i mean

After that, take a step back, YOU'RE DONE!
      The finished product:

Total install time- As you can see from the pictures, it went from daylight, to night, I took my time with this. I had to do that though so i could engineer how to get the PCV and DV relocation to work, get the parts, talk it over with pops, make adjustments, get final prototype, eat dinner, etc. lol. It took me about 6 hours with all the planning/running to the store/eating/install. For you guys out there with this all mapped out, I’d say just about 2 hours tops.

My overall Satisfaction- Well this is easy. I really didn't think that it would make that much of a difference, like I’m sure much of you out there do as well. BOY i was wrong. As soon as i got to a safe location, where i could really get on the gas ... 24 psi spike, 23-22psi hold(i was only at 19-20 before!), smooth delivery, LOUD spool(even louder from before! i know!), and a huge kick in the pants, not to mention no collapsing rubber . I couldn't believe how much of a difference this pipe made, for that much kick for that price, i consider it a STEAL. I really wish i did this sooner and didn't wait all this time, and would recommend it to ANYONE doing a ko4-20 swap, this part is a MUST HAVE.

My Overall Satisfaction with Forge's product- As you can tell, this part, performance wise is unreal. With that performance though, it has to be built to handle it, which it does 10 fold. With 4 ply silicone and great rigidity, this piece is ready to handle 24 psi all day and night, no collapsing or misdesign here like the stock piece. Honestly, there is nothing i can say that i wish was better on this piece, and i would say it too if i saw something that i didn't like, the whole purpose of this thread is to help all of you, not to deceive. It's from an Audi application, and i made it easy to fit on a MKIV. Would it be nice to have a direct fit ko4-20 swap MKIV VW edition? That would be great, but not necessary after i installed mine. Who knows though, maybe with enough interest for ko4-20 swapped MKIV's maybe they will make one! Really to sum up everything is simply this: Forge builds quality, nothing less, bottom line.

My Overall experience with Forge Representatives- I spent quite a bit of time with both Angel and Mike discussing the product, how i could get it to fit, etc. And all i can say is that they're excellent people to deal with. Very personal, very into cars (which sometimes you don't find in the automotive industry and is very important to me, i know call me crazy ), believe strongly in what they're selling, and genuine VW/Audi enthusiasts. Would i buy from them again? In an instant. Would i trust them and their product? Completely. With both Angel and Mike, they're not trying to hide anything; they're just trying to help the VW/Audi community with the great products that they offer. And to the both of them i give a and 2 's each I would recommend buying from them to anyone

Forge's website - directly to the 225TT TIP here: http://www.forgemotorsport.com...25IND

At this time i'd like to tell ALL of you, if you have ANY questions about the install, performance, satisfaction with the part, etc. Please feel free to IM me! I'm more than happy to help you out with any Q's you may have.

BIG BIG BIG BIG Thanks goes out to:
      -Angel@forgemotorsports.com - his SN on here
      -Mike@forgemotorsports.com - " "
      -To my Dad, who helped me out big time with the install

and that's it! I hope you all enjoyed this read and benefited from this thread, that's all what my intention was.

All i'm here to do is help the VW community that i love so much

Jonny

Modified by J-tec at 11:11 PM 3-12-2008

Modified by J-tec at 11:18 PM 3-12-2008

Vehicles
      2004 Cadillac SRX Northstar V8/1995 Mazda Miata
      03-13-2008 01:54 AM #2
      awesome write up!! I want one of these for my little k03s, eventually I want to do a k04-20, but need to save up a bit for that. I wonder if it would nearly that big of an improvement on my k03s?
      I let my haters be my motivators!

Vehicles
      2005 VW GTI, 2001 S4, 1993 UrS4, 2003 Evo 8
      03-13-2008 02:10 AM #3
      Really nice in depth and detailed write-up J-tec, your posts are really informative, thanks!

Looking forward to some more video footage (especially of that louder spool!)

quattrodriven > the definitive resource/registry for audi drivers + add your daily driver, project, OEM+ ride, etc and help it grow!

4. 03-13-2008 02:15 AM #4
      As usual Jonny
      whatever you heard, it's wrong.

PVW 12/09 | PVW 09/13

5. 03-13-2008 02:18 AM #5

nice!

great write up! i gotta do this soon!

Vehicles
      A4, GTI
      03-13-2008 02:26 AM #6
      Jonny, you REALLY know your stuff man!

Vehicles
      08 VW GTI
      03-13-2008 02:28 AM #7
      *Select All > Copy > Paste > Save As*

Great write up, thx.

Look at your signature, now back to mine, now back to yours, now back to mine. Sadly, yours isn’t mine.

Vehicles
      03-13-2008 07:48 AM #8
      Thanks everyone!

Vehicles
      Lotus Elise, Mk4 GTI(sold)
      03-13-2008 08:08 AM #9
      Nice writeup, but jeezus clean your engine bay.
      ***Former B1 Bomber***

NGP Racing

PTM Skid Plates

Vehicles
      MKIV AWP, 08 TL-S 6MT
      03-13-2008 08:43 AM #10
      great write up dude
      My Build: 1.8L AWP PPT GT3071r Billet Wheel Tial Vband/8:1 Mahle Pistons/Arp Mains/IE H-Beam Rods/ACL coated Bearings Mains & Rods/ARP Everything/Fluidamper/IE Manual Timing Kit with Gates Belt/AEB head/Supertech Intake/Supertech coated Exhaust/Supertech Spring & Retainer kit/IE CVA1 Cams/IE Cam Gear/SEM Mani/Hemi TB/EV14 1000cc/ CM FX400
      PAG PARTS

Vehicles
      AWD BT 20TH and EVO VII RS
      03-13-2008 08:45 AM #11
      Good info, as I would like to do this turbo sometime this summer. Can I use my existing TIP, the APR one? Or will I have to buy the 225TT one?

Vehicles
      09 CC 4motion
      03-13-2008 09:00 AM #12
      Quote, originally posted by 87vr6 »
      Good info, as I would like to do this turbo sometime this summer. Can I use my existing TIP, the APR one? Or will I have to buy the 225TT one?

pretty sure you can

great wright up man, deff added it to my bookmarks

Vehicles
      2013 F350 Platinum, 2012 Golf R, 2011 GTI, 2011 Tahoe LTZ, 2003 20th AE, 2014 Harley Street Bob
      03-13-2008 09:01 AM #13
      Quote, originally posted by Irie_Dub »
      Nice writeup, but jeezus clean your engine bay.

x2
      Parting Several MK4 VW's. PM me with your needs.

14. Banner Advertiser Angel@forgemotorsport.com's Avatar
      Vehicles
      07 z4 m coupe/mk6 gti
      03-13-2008 09:19 AM #14
      Great work sir and it'll serve to clear up some confusion when it comes to ko4 20's and what tip to use. Glad you were pleased with how everything came out!

15. 03-13-2008 09:19 AM #15
      awsome right up, as always. looks great and cant wait to see a new vid.

Vehicles
      2001 GTI 1.8 BT, 2009 GTI 2.0 TSI
      03-13-2008 09:22 AM #16

No you CAN NOT use your existing k03sport TIP on a K04-20. It will not fit it's to small.

Vehicles
      2001 GTI 1.8 BT, 2009 GTI 2.0 TSI
      03-13-2008 09:24 AM #17
      Quote, originally posted by gunmetalgreen »

pretty sure you can

great wright up man, deff added it to my bookmarks

NO it won't fit.

Vehicles
      Tooo Many to list
      03-13-2008 10:05 AM #18
      great write up... should have done this when I did mine!

Vehicles
      slc
      03-13-2008 10:15 AM #19
      awsome write up man. ill def use it when im doin mine
      CT / tristate suspension/ airride installs. pm me for details

20. 03-13-2008 10:21 AM #20
      solid j, solid.

21. Member formerly silveratljetta's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2000 Jetta 1.8T Racecar, 2001 Jetta 2.slow daily beater
      03-13-2008 10:32 AM #21
      Sweet bro. I would have put one on from the beginning just because I know how much of a hinrance the TIP's are on our baby turbos, I can only imagine how bad they are on the bigger ones.

Vehicles
      03-13-2008 11:31 AM #22

It won't fit, already tried with my old one when i put the ko4 on. Def have to go with the Forge TIP on this one!

Thanks for all the compliments guys

Vehicles
      03-13-2008 01:36 PM #23

Vehicles
      2006 Jetta TDi, 1984 Jetta GLI, 1982 Polo CL RHD
      03-13-2008 01:37 PM #24
      great writeup mang... this deserve to go up with the DIY
      I have wheels for sale all Authentic! search me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

25. 03-13-2008 01:44 PM #25
      angel is great to deal with, just wish I had extra cash laying around to buy more forge products

26. 03-13-2008 01:58 PM #26
      ez coil ehh? any more info on this? can you just use it once or you just bend it then take it off?

good work however.

99 Golf Tdi
      evo IX RS 10.5:1, pte6466 build in progress

Vehicles
      03-13-2008 05:48 PM #27
      Quote, originally posted by tdipower4me »
      ez coil ehh? any more info on this? can you just use it once or you just bend it then take it off?

good work however.

You can just bend it and take it off, its a great product, i wish i knew about it before the install, coulda used it more than once lol

28. 03-13-2008 08:15 PM #28
      nice, where'd you get it and how much?
      99 Golf Tdi

Vehicles
      03-13-2008 10:02 PM #29
      Quote, originally posted by tdipower4me »
      nice, where'd you get it and how much?

Autozone, like 3 bucks or something like that

30. 03-13-2008 10:35 PM #30
      Quote, originally posted by J-tec »

Autozone, like 3 bucks or something like that

perfect, i'll get one when i get 30r on... so after you take it off, it stays bent?

99 Golf Tdi

Vehicles
      2001 Jetta VR6 GLX
      03-14-2008 12:40 AM #31
      As I no longer have a 1.8t, this was useless to me, but great install and wonderful, write up. I'd have to say that this was the most useful part I got out of this, I had no idea anybody made this, but I guess it makes sense to.

Quote, originally posted by J-tec »

A++ just for this!

SixDigitClub
      (FiSHBOWLSTAtUS) ><(((*>
      Suede is Played
      ♥ Mila

32. 03-14-2008 01:08 AM #32
      Nice write up, but how come my Forge rubs on the hood?

Vehicles
      03-14-2008 01:20 AM #33
      Quote, originally posted by Skinner »
      As I no longer have a 1.8t, this was useless to me, but great install and wonderful, write up. I'd have to say that this was the most useful part I got out of this, I had no idea anybody made this, but I guess it makes sense to.

I had no idea either! i saw that at autozone and was like wow i could have used this SO many times in the past, glad i could show you the way

Quote, originally posted by 1.8 Neckbreaka »
      Nice write up, but how come my Forge rubs on the hood?

It doesn't, in early pictures the intercooler piping wasn't all the way down, and not fully in it's coupler. I had scraping before on my hood from last year, early when i did my front mount thread and didn't have my piping in all the way into the turbo.

Vehicles
      03-16-2008 11:51 PM #34

Vehicles
      '08 Jetta 2.5 '02 GTI 337 '97 BMW 328i
      03-17-2008 05:17 PM #35
      Another question sort of off topic. Did you have any problems with the heater hose? Mine was severely kinked no matter what I tried to do. I ended up cutitng it and making a ghetto hose out of it but I'm still not 100% satisfied. Also does your IC piping press down on the inlet and pancake it a little bit? I had this problem too which I haven't been able to fully remedy yet. Not sure if I can without altering the piping design a little.

And another question why did you switch back to the n75? Was the drivability better? Did one controller feel faster than the other or the same?

Modified by TooLFan46n2 at 5:19 PM 3-17-2008

GTi 337 Edition ~ 322WHP 270WTQ
      {PPT T3/T4 50 TRIM .63 Haldex Kit - Eurodyne Maestro - 630cc Injectors - IE Rods - AEB Head w/ VVT - CAT Cam Gear - Walbro Inline - Audi S3 Gearbox - Peloquin Diff - SouthBend STGIII Clutch - .:R32 LCA's/Spindles/Rack - Ksport Audi TT Coilovers - 25mm R32 FSB - 28mm RSB - Porsche BBK - Eurojet FMIC - FSI Coils - 2 Stage Boostvalve - HKS SSQV }

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast