Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: DIY - 1.8t Lower PCV Hose install, pics!

Vehicles
      04.5 GLI (previously owned:2000 Civic Hatch, 94 Civic B18 shaved, 95 S-10 bagged and shaved)
      01-18-2011 08:55 PM #106
      Quote Originally Posted by FaelinGL View Post
      It's called ETKA. There's a newer version that is good for a lot more cars, but this one has what I need.

Mike
      Where can I get it???

2. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2001 Golf 1.8t
      02-18-2011 03:21 PM #107
      Im kinda in the same problem as you. I got a 2001 MK4 golf 1.8t. I haven't started mine yet, but the parts on the way. So it looks like I am going to have the same problem you are having. Instead of eurojet, im going with 034motorsports kit, has the block to intake manifold silicone hose in it. Best part is that it makes that crappy plastic crankcase block tube that keeps breaking on everyone obsolete. They built that piece in with the silicone t hose, with the oring installed manually, and uses the stock c clip.

Ill let you know what ends up happening. Getting a mechanic friend of mine to help with this.

Vehicles
      mk4 gti 1.8t
      02-25-2011 02:14 AM #108
      just installed my new kit ... biggest PITA ever but car runs great afterwards .... i pulled the c lip for hours then sprayed it with some wd 40 and it came right out

4. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2001 Golf 1.8t
      02-26-2011 11:37 PM #109
      So i just installed my kit today. I used the one from 034 motorsports, since eurojet is not making parts right now. The 034 t hose is better than the eurojet one i think because the crankcase breather hose and t hose is one piece not two separate parts parts, all made from silicone. It has a new o-ring and pcv bleeder valve in it as well, and just uses the stock clip. Went in relatively easy. Y hose went in easy as well.
      http://www.034motorsport.com/engine-...e-p-19987.html

But it comes with this silicone S hose, but I cant figure out where it installs. From the diagram i saw earlier, it looked like it connected to the pcv valve, but its where the suction set pump and hose to brake booster is. Are those parts needed, or can I remove them and just cap it where they connect? Where does the other end go?

Vehicles
      evo 8
      02-27-2011 04:45 PM #110
      subscribed.

6. 04-01-2011 06:30 PM #111
      i just got this kit. whats the deal with the coupler?....the one end is too small to securely fit any of these hoses. shoulda gone with the catch can

Vehicles
      MKIV VW JETTA GLI 1.8T
      04-19-2011 11:08 PM #112
      I'm doing this install when I get my hoses in,it looks like it's going to be a beer drinking type of day.
      REVO STAGE 2 SAMCO TIP, FORGE 007 DV, 4BAR FPR, SOUTH BEND STAGE 2 CLUTCH AND FLYWHEEL, 3 INCH CUSTOM TBE, NEUSPEED CAI, BOOST GAUGE, BLACK BBS CAPS, BLACK BBS RC'S, SMOKED HID HEADLIGHTS, SMOKED FENDER MARKERS, SMOKED BUMPER MARKERS, BLACKED OUT EMBLEMS NoDs - Never Out Done Squad ATL

8. 05-23-2011 09:44 PM #113
      My 2004 1.8T had the additional small tub coming from the extra assembly:

I plugged the extra hole on the bottom of the Eurojet PCV assembly. And ran the additional small PCV tube back up to it's original location on the valve cover.

No assembly diagram, no parts list, and no connector for the two big PCV hoses? Instead I have an additional large-to-small hose connector. Where the *bleep* am I supposed to put that? C'mon Eurojet!

(I don't suggest doing this, but it helped me.)
      I also took the two allen bolts out of the bracket that braces the top of the dipstick to get easier access. Remove the electrical connector, that is on the passenger-side of that bracket, and carefully push that bracket out the way. (And if you remove the dipstick assembly, be prepared to have it crack once you try to snap it back on.)
      This helped me a ton to get that c-clip out. (Took a vice grips.)
      Last edited by herman_g60; 05-23-2011 at 09:46 PM.

Vehicles
      '10 JSW, '01 Golf, '08 MCS, '12 Fusion
      05-23-2011 09:53 PM #114
      Quote Originally Posted by bringdaruckus View Post
      i just got this kit. whats the deal with the coupler?....the one end is too small to securely fit any of these hoses. shoulda gone with the catch can
      Anyone figure this out? I have had my lower hose kit sitting on the shelf for months now, still don't know where that coupler is supposed to go...

Vehicles
      allroad, JB 20th, Cabriolet
      05-23-2011 10:38 PM #115
      doesnt it just go between / join the upper and lower hose?

11. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2001 VW Jetta 1.8T Wolfburg Edition
      05-25-2011 08:56 PM #116
      The previous owner ******* electrical taped mine and now its leaking to say the least i am not looking forward to fixing this tomorrow! should be a blast not thanks to all who had complications and will hopefully make my day a little easier tomorrow

12. Semi-n00b
      Vehicles
      Golf 2001 1.8T
      06-06-2011 09:31 PM #117
      Have you figured out yet what to do with the other S hose that came with the kit?
      I went through the same pain as most removing al the PCV hoses , also broke the dipstick housing in the process
      I was about tot order the OEM parts from ECS when I saw that thread. I actually like the kit you bought as it is one piece. but I need my car pretty soon, so want to make sure this kit worked for you, otherwise may go with plain replacement parts
      Let me know, thanks!

Pat

13. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      04 r32 ;))
      08-15-2011 10:17 PM #118
      if this is blown to peices baskly will this cause major boost problems AND bad hesitation when engine is not at normal operating tempatures

14. 08-29-2011 08:15 PM #119
      Nice write up. I just did the 043 motorsports kit. The thing I like about the 034 kit, is that it replaces the lower engine block conector, so you don't have to worry about breaking it or it coming apart later. Other than that the kits are pretty much the same. A nice fix for a problem waiting to happen with an older 1.8t motor.
      2012 GTI APR K04

15. 08-29-2011 08:38 PM #120
      The s hose that came with my kit goes is to replace the hose that goes under the intake. It's difficult to get to. Mine wasn't bad but I replaced it anyway.
      2012 GTI APR K04

16. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2001 Golf 1.8t
      09-17-2011 04:54 PM #121
      Quote Originally Posted by zetoune View Post
      Have you figured out yet what to do with the other S hose that came with the kit?
      I went through the same pain as most removing al the PCV hoses , also broke the dipstick housing in the process
      I was about tot order the OEM parts from ECS when I saw that thread. I actually like the kit you bought as it is one piece. but I need my car pretty soon, so want to make sure this kit worked for you, otherwise may go with plain replacement parts
      Let me know, thanks!

Pat
      Was this directed to me? No i never figured out to do with this piece yet. I put in on the back burner while working on other projects. 034 kit parts that i did install are working great though. Its a great kit. After reading this again i still want to figure out how to install that S hose. anyone know what to do? I have a 2001 1.8t

17. 10-23-2011 04:35 PM #122
      Quote Originally Posted by VAVDub87 View Post
      Was this directed to me? No i never figured out to do with this piece yet. I put in on the back burner while working on other projects. 034 kit parts that i did install are working great though. Its a great kit. After reading this again i still want to figure out how to install that S hose. anyone know what to do? I have a 2001 1.8t
      Reading the parts list, I guessed it was the Block to Intake Manifold Hose - (06A 103 221BQ).

So I tried connecting the end of the pcv to the nipple on the intake manifold, but it will not fit both ways (it'll fit the PCV one way, but not the nipple the other, vice-versa). I can't use the hose I pulled off either because I had this part: which has a much bigger nipple (so the old hose can fit the pcv one way, but is too big for the nipple on the manifold the other way). I'm thinking about feeding the new hose from 034 into the one I pulled off with a jubilee clip to seal and hold them tight so I can fit both ends.

Anyone else have this problem with the 034 hose? Or I am completely misunderstanding what it is supposed to be for?

Vehicles
      09 MKV Rabbit, 2001 MKIV Jetta Wolfsburg
      11-13-2011 11:37 PM #123
      Quote Originally Posted by Basscase View Post
      Wait wait wait...what? You'll go down on her...but won't kiss her afterward because "it's gross"? The fvck?

MADEYULK.COM FACEBOOK

19. 12-04-2011 06:19 PM #124
      Anything with the "T" piece been figured out? I have a 2004 vw jetta also and I can't figure out what the hell I'm supposed to do...

Vehicles
      mkiv gti (killed) mkiv .:r32 (unicorn sh!tbox).
      12-04-2011 06:29 PM #125
      Quote Originally Posted by zetoune View Post
      the small s hose that comes with the 034 kit runs off the check valve to the intake manifold.. pic for reference

@j__cermak <-- (double underscore).

Vehicles
      09 MKV Rabbit, 2001 MKIV Jetta Wolfsburg
      12-04-2011 08:12 PM #126
      Quote Originally Posted by VAVDub87 View Post
      So i just installed my kit today. I used the one from 034 motorsports, since eurojet is not making parts right now. The 034 t hose is better than the eurojet one i think because the crankcase breather hose and t hose is one piece not two separate parts parts, all made from silicone. It has a new o-ring and pcv bleeder valve in it as well, and just uses the stock clip. Went in relatively easy. Y hose went in easy as well.
      http://www.034motorsport.com/engine-...e-p-19987.html

But it comes with this silicone S hose, but I cant figure out where it installs. From the diagram i saw earlier, it looked like it connected to the pcv valve, but its where the suction set pump and hose to brake booster is. Are those parts needed, or can I remove them and just cap it where they connect? Where does the other end go?
      the s hose goes from the pcv to the suction pump under the intake. I just replaced that hose a week ago on mine . If I dont run a catch can I might switch to these hoses
      Quote Originally Posted by Basscase View Post
      Wait wait wait...what? You'll go down on her...but won't kiss her afterward because "it's gross"? The fvck?

MADEYULK.COM FACEBOOK

22. Member
      Vehicles
      04.5 GLI 1.8T
      03-04-2012 01:55 AM #127
      with the 034 motorsport kit, i ran into the problem of connecting that small hose that comes from the top of the cams as here in the pic

I almost went and did a hole buying a T and putting it together on the PCV valve of the 034 motorsports but then i just realized maybe put a plug on it...

I just went off and installed everything normal, andddddddddd Put a plug there. Really idk if its working well till i get my Coil connectors fixed tuesday. Ill ask the mechanic what he thinks....

If anyone has solved this please comment.

Vehicles
      2001 GTI
      03-04-2012 02:02 AM #128
      much needed. no homo but I you man. saved me a couple hours
      01 GTI 10/14/11
      Gonzo Tuned
      Quote Originally Posted by boradie sucht View Post
      what good does searching do anymore? say in 2 years when new people come on and have questions and decide to search first. and then this thread pops up, when its all idiots like you telling him to search. whats the point of that, either contribute or STFU

24. 03-11-2012 06:55 PM #129
      I installed my 034 Motorsport kit yesterday on my 03 AWP GTI and really had the stretch the S hose from the PCV to the intake port. I bypassed all the hoses below and plugged the port on the valve cover but now I'm getting a high idle about 1K rpm and code P0507.

S hose

Last edited by BMAN; 03-11-2012 at 07:34 PM.

Vehicles
      2003 1.8T Jetta 1990 Jetta VR6
      03-20-2012 07:45 PM #130
      installed mine today. (entire kit) http://www.034motorsport.com/engine-...e-p-19987.html

It was pretty easy since i have everything Emission related deleted already. The only part i wasnt clear on was the OE brake booster y piece or fork.
      Since the 034 kit didnt include anything to cap it or a hose-something, i simply plugged it with a rubber stopper vs a screw. (See pink circle ) They kit came with a plug which was capped on the nipple on the valve cover ( see pic with other pink circle )
      The OE set up ran from there over the top of the intake manifold and into the nipple on the bottom part of the Intake manifold which is what the "S"line from 034 replaced. When i started the car, it was idling a bit below 800 and hiccuping. i was concerned but after driving it around for a few minutes, fixed it self. i think its because the new hoses were dry and needed some oil fumes
      Car def feels different when driving.

After reading the last few pages of this thread, not sure what the hoopla is all about with this part. I dont think its necessary anymore.
      Last edited by granmas 1.8t; 03-20-2012 at 08:00 PM.
      Janky Garage Air suspension(Air Lift, Accuair) Hard Lines, VAGcom,Frame notch, Fender Rolling, Detailing, Tires and wheels, Suspension works and more 619-961-0027

26. Member
      Vehicles
      2003 vw gti 20th ae
      03-25-2012 11:03 AM #131
      This is a good write up.. For anyone getting ready to do this i would recomend the 034 motorsports hoses so you dont have to worry about breaking the hose that is connected into the block and losing the o ring cuz the 034 comes with all that

If you have not done this yet and have over 100k on your 1.8t id recomend doing it my lower pcv hose was so brittle it was in 3 peices by the time i got it out

I did mine last night broke the dip stick holder.. expect to get your hands cut up and waste a whole afternoon doing this.. After everything was done I could def tell the car ran better and idle was normal

Vehicles
      Toyota Matrix, 94 LR Discovery, 20th year GTI, 2000 Subaru Outback Sport
      03-30-2012 07:19 PM #132
      WOW what a pain the ****ing ass, had to take a break because daylight was running out, I'm taking someones suggestion and going at the pcv valve C clamp tomorrow with a dremel. Real nice and slow until that damn C clip breaks off.
      Installed the upper hose no problem though, that bottom one is the worst thing ever. The hoses were so brittle, I bough the L shaped hose to replace because it seems like everything is super brittle in this system at 92k miles.

Barely squeezed the hose connecting the upper and lower pipes and it showed me its insides
      Road head > armrest

Vehicles
      2004.5 GLI
      03-30-2012 09:51 PM #133
      My lower L hose was basically disintegrated but the 034 kit replaces everything. I only had to use a flat head screw driver to pry open the clamps.
      Formerly hookedup4door

04.5' PG GLI
      03' Jetta wagon TDI (Hers)
      96' Supercharged Golf (sold)

29. 03-31-2012 01:16 AM #134
      So glad I found this DIY! I just decided to check for boost leaks and had this exact thing ^^ happen. Broke off with just a simple jiggle, and the Y hose was collapsed. Guess it's been on its way out for a while, too. I've been seeing oil on that side of the motor, but couldn't track down any leaks, but probably sprayed some from this horrid example of engineering.

Got the 034 kit on the way, thanks everyone for all the input!

Vehicles
      Toyota Matrix, 94 LR Discovery, 20th year GTI, 2000 Subaru Outback Sport
      03-31-2012 03:17 PM #135
      Just wanted to share some pics of the install and give some helpful tips.

Go ahead and replace the L pipe since it's probably fragile at this point ($90 from the dealer ), Replace the C clip if you have the one I had (look below)

Get yourself a long small-medium sized flat head, when I say long I mean long enough to fit through the runners of the intake manifold and reach the L pipe below. Use this to pry out the C clip from the back. Pull out the c clip far enough using pliers and then slide the flathead in between the neck of the flange and the C clip and pry it back. Also very useful for tightening the clamps around the hoses.

Connect the L pipe to the new bottom hose before you thread it through all the wires because it is very hard to connect the two together once youre in that jumble of wires. Leave the clamp around the L pipe and the hose itself a little loose so you can rotate it around if you need to. You can leave the PCV valve disconnected until the end, it's a lot more accessible than the L pipe.

Put the o-ring into the flange opening and rub some oil around the sides. Push the L pipe in hard enough and it will slide right past the o-ring.

This was the C clip that I had in my 20th, just pray to god that you have the regular green one instead.

I broke part of the neck off of the flange opening while getting that stupid C clip out. I was using a pry bar to wedge it out and apparently it didn't like how much pressure I was putting on it. Pressure between the O-ring and the green clip should be enough to hold that L pipe in place.

Old o-ring

Final product:

Side view:
      Last edited by ihaverickets; 04-01-2012 at 08:08 PM.
      Road head > armrest

31. 04-07-2012 12:15 PM #136
      just did this. took ~2 hours, thanks for the DIY. biggest PITA for me was getting the lower pcv hose+valve back into place. getting everything out was pretty easy for me. glad it's over with!

Vehicles
      boobies 1.8t
      05-04-2012 05:25 PM #137
      anyone having rough idle issues after install?

I read in another thread that it could be 034's billet PCV valve.

I'm going to get my hands on the oem one monday and hopefully it fixes this issue. any thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by iTech View Post
      My MK4 is way to ****ty to run the CCW's....It would be like giving a 300lb chick a 10 carat diamond ring.

Vehicles
      '01 VW Jetta 1.8T GLS
      05-04-2012 05:42 PM #138
      **Reminder**

IF you STILL have a stock breather hose, replace it before it breaks, the biggest piece of garbage on the car. period.
      Leave gap for fat chicks.
      Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Rictus View Post
      Saying that you felt "bull**** torque" is like saying that you had sex with a girl and just felt bull**** vagina.
      APR Stage 1 Tuned

Vehicles
      Rave Green Racekor
      05-05-2012 09:52 AM #139
      Semi-related question. Is the Hockey Puck PCV valve on the Intake hose supposed to flow in one direction? Had mine off the other day, and it was free flowing air both ways... Dosnt really seem like a valve to me.
      Wont go lower. Why? Because Race car.
      Any car I see anymore I think to myself "Would look better lowered," thank you Vortex

Vehicles
      03 JB #2028
      05-07-2012 01:48 PM #140
      After reading this thread over and over, as well as popping my hood every other 15 mins to fully understand how to do this by getting a feel for the hoses, I do not understand how you guys are able to reach in and actually firmly grip the lower hose with the c clip. There is no room! I do have skinny narrow hands and at best I can get a few fingers barely on the lower hose. Probably gonna just take it to the dealer...
      Quote Originally Posted by scirockalot8v View Post
      Plastidip the world.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast