Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: jetta antenna base removal

1. Member
      Vehicles
      MkIV Jetta | MkVI GTI
      04-13-2008 01:46 PM #1

ok. i've done my research, but i still have a question for those with experience removing jetta headliners or replacing an antenna base.

Here is skoty's jetta headliner removal DIY
      http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=3148467

In it he also references JKREW's A, B, C pillar removal - which seems to be necessary before removing a headliner.

Here is another forum post where they remove the antenna without actually removing the headliner. They just pull the the whole thing down from the rear making a crease in it and claiming the crease "will smooth itself out" I don't buy it.
      http://forums.generationdub.co...16270

So my question is this. All I need to do is replace my antenna base.
      Do I really have to go through removing the entire headliner? a, b, c pillars, visors, sunroof controls, seatbelts, etc...? What is the least amount of "extras" I need to remove in order to simply shift the headliner forward and off that clip in the rear to access my antenna?

Thank you.

Vehicles
      00 Golf TDl, 83 Rabbit GTI
      04-13-2008 01:50 PM #2
      i removed my base with only the c pillar covers off and the trim along the back top of the headliner. then i just pulled the headliner down a little bit. it was a pain. that was in a golf though, sorry i cant help more

3. Member
      Vehicles
      MkIV Jetta | MkVI GTI
      04-13-2008 01:58 PM #3

Thanks for your response. Anyone else?
      -a pic of my car for clicks.

Vehicles
      00 Golf TDl, 83 Rabbit GTI
      04-13-2008 02:37 PM #4
      i just check my headliner and there are no creases in it from bending it, and i bent it pretty bad when i did this, so the pull it down diy might work..
      awesome picture too

5. Member
      Vehicles
      MkIV Jetta | MkVI GTI
      04-13-2008 03:40 PM #5

Cool, thanks again for the info.

6. 04-13-2008 04:08 PM #6
      I did the same, just pulled the headliner down at the back, No creases left and I didn't even re-attach it. It still sits perfectly.

7. 05-22-2008 05:12 AM #7
      FYI, thanks for the links, helped me complete mine today. Radio reception suddenly got really bad, found these threads, purchased base at stealership for just under $50 (if I was more patient would've ordered for less online). Didn't want to lower whole headliner but was scared to damage interior. Just pulled back of headliner off of lip from rear on my Jetta. Unscrewed one seat belt and both OS handles and pulled headliner down off of clips on either side towards back. I'd say it's more important to loosen up to the passenger side, since the worst part IMHO is the "quick connect" adapter. You have to slide the connector back against a spring before releasing or attaching the antenna cable. This was almost impossible with the limited room you have under the roof between the headliner. But after a contortionist act, gritting my teeth, closing my eyes, sweating, cursing, and looking like an idiot, I got it connected.

Can't tell you how nice it is to have reception again after living w/o it for months. Feels luxurious. Forearms got scratched up from fiberglass, a feeling I despise, but in a couple days that'll be forgotten, and I'll still have good reception... At least for a few years til the problem re-appears.

Anyway, to anybody considering doing this, if you have relatively slender arms this is doable w/o removing the headliner. You can use some sort of hook to pull the headliner back up over the lip to reinstall, but it seemed like it would've been ok w/o doing that. i'm just anal. But coming from somebody as OCD as me about the car's appearance, you can rest assured the interior is indistinguishable from when I started the project. No "crease", although a little cleaning of the headliner and rear window is in order.

Good luck.

-tslugmo