Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 1 of 165 123451151101 ... LastLast

Thread: *The unofficial VR supercharged reference thread* specs, setups, et cetera

1. 04-13-2008 03:49 PM #1
      Alright, while this is the FI forum, loads of the talk and info in here is about turbos. Searching through the archives and various conversations via phone and IMs leads me to believe that there are more supercharged VRs in here that one would suspect. Also, for one contemplating a supercharger setup for their VR, information is not nearly as accessible as information about turbocharger systems.

So. Here's the rules:
      Post what setup you are running.
      -If you've changed pullies, gears, whatever, please post that as well.
      Post any dyno reuslts you might have.
      -If you have changed your setup since the dyno, please post your setup at the time of the dyno.
      Post any track times you might have.
      -Dragstrip results only preferably, as not everyone can compare road course times or autocross times on different circuits
      Post any information you have that one might consider useful.
      -Feel free to IM me with other links and information as well, and I will add them with credit to you.
      No nudity.
      No OT turbo BS.

Hopefully, we can get a thread going with some good information in it, and maybe get it added to the FAQ.

*Also, this thread is a work in progress. If there is something you feel should be added, be it a link, book, or another site; please either post it or IM me, and I'll add it. This thread is intended to reference tool for all of us, and especially the new people looking into supercharger systems for their VR.

Thanks for your contributions.

-Chad

*all underlined words or phrases in my posts are clickable links

300 Club

"300 Club Top 10"
      12v VR6 Engines

1. LSinLV : 342whp/289wtq (Dynotjet) DynoVortech V2SQ Chargercrank/direct charger drive via custom VFE kit (stg IV)
      2. groupracer: 313whp/240wtq (DynoDynamics)(V9 Charger)(Cogged)
      3. Scooter98144: 310whp/265wtq(Dynojet)(V1 Charger)
      4. -Throttle- : 303whp/233wtq (Dynojet)(V1 Charger)
      5. SUPERCHARGED-JETTA : 301.7whp/254wtq (Mustang)(V1 Charger)
      6. CorradoMagic :301whp(298whp with fuel issue) (Mustang)(V1 Charger) (Cogged)
      7. RedRabbit118: 318whp (DynoDynamics) V2-T charger, 2.5" pulley, big fmic, 42#green top inj. DTA pro8 standalone, SRI, walbro in-line 255, 9:1 compression

Modified by hover at 8:03 PM 11-16-2009

2. 04-13-2008 04:17 PM #2
      Recommended reading:

Superchargers, what they are and now they work:

Superchargers on Wikipedia

How a Supercharger works, thanks to European Car

Supercharged! : Design, Testing, and Installation of Supercharger Systems by Corky Bell, this is not a link, it is a book, and I highly recommend it, along with his other books.

Threads:

Best thread on vortex about turbo vs. super Please don't make a new one. Thank you.

Difference in Vortech superchargers.

This thread is a work in progress. If you have any links or other recommended reading materials, please either post them, or IM me, and I will add them to the list.

Modified by hover at 7:31 PM 4-14-2008

3. 04-13-2008 04:20 PM #3
      Supercharger kits available:

VF Engineering is currently the only producer of off the shelf supercharger kits that are available new. These kits use the Vortech V9 blower.

C2 produced supercharger kits for the VR. They do not anymore, please don't call Chris and ask him if they still do, if they have any extras laying around, or if they are going to put them back into production. They don't and they aren't. These kits used the Vortech V1-S or the Vortech V2-SQ blower.

AMS also produced a supercharger kit. This was another Vortech based kit that used a V1 blower. I'm still researching more about this kit, and will edit the post with more information later.

Z-engineering's did not use a Vortech unit, but their own supercharger instead. Most people's complaints about the Z-engineering kit were directed towards the software.

*still working on completing list, please IM me with details on what I have left out. I know there are a few that aren't on the list. -Chad

Four Season Tuning, a very reputable business is now catering more to the SC crowd. They have brackets, belts, pistons, DVs, pretty much anything you could need, along with a whole slew of other things that we all just want. Thanks Guys. Check their thread here or their website by clicking on their name.

Modified by hover at 11:00 PM 5-10-2009

4. 04-13-2008 04:20 PM #4
      Great threads to view

Dyno result and info thread in the dyno sub-forum of vortex

Supercharger pic thread Thanks to sweep'n'streets for getting this one started.

300 WHP with a Vortech SC props to CorradoMagic.

If you would like a thread included in this list, please IM me, or post a link, and I'll add it. Thanks.

Modified by hover at 10:28 AM 4-24-2008

5. 04-13-2008 04:21 PM #5
      DIY Install of Supercharger

DIY list for using Vortech unit on a VR, courtesy of V.E.N.O.M.

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=4144216

Modified by hover at 8:00 PM 11-16-2009

6. 04-13-2008 04:24 PM #6
      Making more power and avoiding belt slip, how to upgrade your supercharger setup

For Vortech based systems:

Replacement pulleys are available through a number of vendors: C2, Vortech themselves, and VF Engineering being some of the most popular companies.

Cogged setup to eliminate belt slip by DeckManDubs. These pulleys are available now through Verdict Motorsports

Supercharger stages

Superchargers stages broken down by DeckManDubs

Modified by hover at 10:20 PM 5-10-2009

7. 04-13-2008 06:53 PM #7
      room for expansion, still a work in progress.

Although I am adding information as I can to this thread, all contributions and discussion, as well as any information you have about your setup is more than welcome in the thread. I know enough to know that I don't know it all. Some weighing in by those more knowledgeable and experienced with supercharging the VR would be great.

Thanks.

-Chad

Modified by hover at 7:43 PM 4-14-2008

Vehicles
      2004 Audi Allroad Quattro
      04-14-2008 08:55 AM #8
      02 12V VR6

Just purchased a Stage II VF kit as well as a Samco hose kit, new crack pipe, thermo housing and all parts attached, phenolic spacer, dropped in the NGK BKR7EIX plugs and converted the coilpack to MSD coils.

Crack pipe, phenolic spacer and thermo housing are in. MSDs are wired up and will be put in once the other stuff is here.

Just waiting for shipment to arrive.

Great thread, I'll post up pics once I start getting the charger in there, as so far, just looks like a torn up engine bay.

2004 Audi Allroad 2.7T

9. 04-16-2008 12:49 AM #9
      Been sick, haven't added much, so here's a bump. Still waiting for others to chime in.

04-16-2008 09:19 AM #10
      Agreed, more info would be great. I'm pretty sure I am going to go with a charger rather then turbos so I'm doing all my homework now while I wait for money to collect in the bank

11. 04-16-2008 09:52 AM #11
      Anything you are looking for specifically? If so, I can see if I can help find it, and maybe add it to the thread.

I would like for this thread to be a resource for those thinking about supercharging theirs cars, and even of use for those who have been around for some time.

Vehicles
      04-16-2008 12:19 PM #12
      Info like different plugs (I went with the BKR7EIX) and if the oil weight should be changed, does it need more with the charger on it.

Maybe if there are links to any info on the installation of this stuff as although my kit is on the way, I'd like to know what to expect when it gets here.

Anything like that would be great.

2004 Audi Allroad 2.7T

Vehicles
      DE & VZ
      04-16-2008 01:57 PM #13
      Z-Engineering uses their own chargers, not vortech units.
      Quote Originally Posted by Pineapplegti ! View Post
      Gravy is a attention whore..
      I do side work on vw's in ny/ct area. PM me

14. Member
      Vehicles
      Everything you could imagine basically
      04-16-2008 01:59 PM #14
      wow, this is a heck of a thread. good stuff. perhaps sticky material?
      Turbos, Timepieces and Firearms.

15. Member
      Vehicles
      1992 SLC, 2003 GLI
      04-17-2008 12:43 AM #15
      I have an OBDII Eurotech V2 kit. It runs the 4bar FPR, ~8spi pulley, V2 SQ charger, and colder plugs. Understand the P.O. put down 245whp several years ago.

Relevant info: uses K&N RC-3180 intake filter directly on the charger (appears to need 5/8" vacuum plug on the end of the filter)

Currently uses Bosch F6DTC plugs; interested in trying NGKs the next time around

Current dyno pending...

16. Member
      Vehicles
      04-17-2008 12:46 AM #16
      i would like to see pix of your setup please.

17. Member
      Vehicles
      1992 SLC, 2003 GLI
      04-17-2008 12:53 AM #17
      voila

Not nearly as impressive as your SLC setup from what I hear, but fun as a daily driver nonetheless

18. Member
      Vehicles
      04-17-2008 01:01 AM #18
      any close ups of the compressor side? what software are you running?

thanks for the pic, and compliment.

19. Member
      Vehicles
      1992 SLC, 2003 GLI
      04-17-2008 01:14 AM #19
      That's really the only engine shot I have, unfortunately.

Software is a Eurotech OBD II chip from back in the day. By all accounts it shoudn't work (stock injector capacity, MAF after the charger, etc.), but it does. From fun runs to driving my son to daycare every day.

Need to get it up to NGP for a dyno run one of these days, but maintaining two SLCs in addition keeps time and money short.

Vehicles
      04-17-2008 09:06 AM #20
      Nice looking setup, Corrados are sweet and yellow, even better. Once my kit gets here and I have it all slapped on, I'll have pics.

Anyhow have an answer to change in oil weight or amount? Just so I can be prepared for when the kit gets here.

Thanks!

edit: That's not a rado, sorry.. just looked at the body.. made an assumption from your SN.

2004 Audi Allroad 2.7T

Vehicles
      94' Corrado VR-SC'd, 00' A4 Q/Avant, 82' Jetta, 12' Countryman All4
      04-17-2008 11:04 AM #21
      94 Corrado OBD1 Coilpack, ECU 258BA. 30# Bosch inj./chip. 4Bar Corrado intank & FPR

C2 Kit with V1 charger & Custom cogged pulleys by DeckmanDubs
      Car has PS, AC, etc.

14psi/20 tooth pulley

Eliminated EGR & disconnected ISV

Inline Bosch 044

custom tuned by Jeff Atwood/C2 @ EPLabs.com
      301whp/271tq

Install thread with pics and 1st start vids as well as additional tips here~ http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=2932002

Modified by CorradoMagic at 12:20 AM 4-23-2008

The DubNutz OEM & Performance parts in Long Island. Autotech, Quaife, ST, KW, Koni, Tein, JE, ClutchMasters, StopTech, Samco, Whiteline, TT, VF-E, Euro body accessories, TDN performance Mounts and lots more. Lowest Prices on ST Coilovers! ask

22. 04-17-2008 11:11 AM #22
      And yours is the car I'm waiting to see the results on. Very similar to one set of the plans that I have for the Golf. Only time will tell what happens of course, but I'm thinking of doing the same cogged pullies, a V1, and a few other things.

23. 04-17-2008 01:03 PM #23
      96 gti

- 12v vr6 from mkIV
      - v2 polished charger
      - c2 software
      - 8 psi pulley
      - stock injectors
      - has p/s, no a/c
      - neuspeed catback
      - arp hardware
      - kinetic headspacer

no dyno or track numbers for me. i just enjoy driving

car runs great and is very daily drivable with this setup. def. fun for those who don't need gobs of power all the time.

Modified by Acri2903 at 1:10 PM 4-17-2008

24. Member
      Vehicles
      1992 SLC, 2003 GLI
      04-17-2008 11:12 PM #24
      Thanks...the original owner took great care of it and did all the hard work.

For oil, I use 5w-40 Elf synthetic, and change it every 6mos or 3k (I don't put that many miles on it). Same amount as stock.

Vehicles
      04-18-2008 09:10 AM #25
      Awesome, thanks for the tips and info.

I'll be ready to flush/pull the oil pan when tapping it for the return line.

At least that's what I'm guessing I'll have to tap the oil pan for (like I said, no installation instructions out there pre to getting the kit, just what I've heard of and such, and I'm not sure how much different the MKIV is from others.)

2004 Audi Allroad 2.7T

04-18-2008 10:09 AM #26
      Quote, originally posted by CorradoSLC »
      Software is a Eurotech OBD II chip from back in the day. By all accounts it shoudn't work (stock injector capacity, MAF after the charger, etc.), but it does. From fun runs to driving my son to daycare every day.

I wouldn't say that it shouldn't work. Yes in the C2 era post blower MAF's and stock injectors are frowned upon, but many companies used those combo's when vr's started getting blown, and they have been proven.

I was having problems w/ my old ecu or chip (GIAC 30# obd2) and i sourced an AMS tuned ecu from the OG kit, and threw the stock injectors back in. thing runs like stock, still pulls pretty damn hard too. I do get some timing pull way up in the rpms, which may be due to leaning out, but the tune is still really good. I'm sure some fpr tweaking could get it to a happy place.

I'm going to be trying an ATP 30# chip soon, also a post blower maf file, which I've heard has put down pretty good power, and great driveability.

I'm:
      AMS kit w/ a V1 (rebuilt)
      OBD2 swap
      Neuspeed 60mm catback
      passat 3.38 box
      "stock" 8psi (can see 10 @ redline) ams pulley

thinking about dyno'ing these changes for info, but like my man above, I'm all about enjoying the drive, and not concerned w/ #'s. I think its a common theme w/ s/c peeps...

Vehicles
      Corrado SLC Resto , TT 225Q Race Car , E39 540i, 9-3ss, 2500HD 8.1
      04-18-2008 10:09 AM #27
      Some V9 8.5psi A/F & Dyno numbers, pulls were done on EPL's Mustang Dyno.

V9 8.5psi Dizzy
      Cogged Pulley Set
      2.9 Clone Manifold
      Port-matched Head and Manifold
      Stock Cams

Now, Dyno #'s to follow

Modified by DeckManDubs at 12:06 PM 4-18-2008

-Noah

PHENIX ENGINEERING

Quote Originally Posted by ein View Post
      You couldn't dig a hole any faster with a nuke.

28. Member
      Vehicles
      1992 SLC, 2003 GLI
      04-18-2008 11:31 AM #28
      Yes, you summed it up better than I did - I completely agree with you...if it works, it works.

The main reason I'm interested in dynoing (okay, aside from curiosity) is to check the A/F ratios. My in-car gauge always shows rich under boost, but we'll see.

Either way, it is definitely fun with the blower...

29. 04-22-2008 10:19 PM #29

Vehicles
      04-23-2008 08:15 AM #30
      Still waiting on VF to get my kit shipped to me, could show up Friday, could show up Monday, of course then I'm out of town from Tuesday until next Monday. Have everything else buttoned up, though. Phenolic spacer, new coolant stuff, starter fix, bunch of other maintenance, dying for my ride to be alive again. Waiting sucks.
      2004 Audi Allroad 2.7T

31. 04-24-2008 02:59 AM #31
      CorradoMagic's numbers are in..... 300+ WHP with a Vortech SC.

Vehicles
      04-27-2008 11:17 AM #32
      Anyone here running the MKIV 12V S/C? I was mounting the charger yesterday and wasn't able to detension it enough to get the belt on. The drain fitting/elbow bumps my front chassis pinch weld before it can detension completely.

Any ideas? Or should I just try to... pry the belt on, as it were. I'm afraid of damaging the belt, though.

Anyhow, the wiper reservoir is relocated and dripping in one spot, have to seal up one place.

PSR is relocated and that was easy enough.

MAF is relocated. MAF Clamp is wired in there, but haven't wired in switched power or ground yet until I figure out where I want to place it.

Injectors are in and fuel rail is back on, had a lower intake manifold bolt shear as I think my torque wrench failed so I'm waiting on a new one of those before I can get the upper intake manifold on, the front clip back and then start fitting the charge piping and what not.

I must say I'm not horribly pleased with having to tap the block, thought it was the pan, but apparently not. That's the next step today, though. Drop the pan, tap the block, route the drain and feed hoses and see if I can get the charger set again and the belt on.

Any help or advice would be highly appreciated. Cheers

edit: I think they sent me a belt that's too short as I finally got the belt on with absolutely no ability to "tension" or move the blower. Anyhow, will call VF tomorrow.

Modified by dasGolf01 at 10:13 PM 4-27-2008

2004 Audi Allroad 2.7T

33. Member
      Vehicles
      00 gti
      04-28-2008 12:47 AM #33
      i just got my supercharger on and only been driving it for about a week. its a v9 with a 2.5 pulley. c2 36lb tune. c2 quickflow intake manifold. port and polished head and yeterday i ordered the sp 263 turbo cams. next i want to put some headers on it and take the cat off. i have no pictures or numbers right now. but i hope to after i get what i want done.

34. 04-30-2008 10:19 PM #34
      Anyone running nitrous on ther chargers?

Vehicles
      92' Slc 93' Drag car
      05-01-2008 07:30 PM #35
      Hey guys I know the n's and out's on the s/c set up im if you need help or have a question. Check sig for specs
      1993 Corrado drag car 10.60@138
      Wiseco - Eurospec - Arp Hardware - Dsr 256 - Pte 6765 - Precision 46mm wastegate - Afi turbo manifold - Microtech Lt10s engine management - Aptuning Gear set - Clutch masters twin disc - Driveshaftshop - Bogart racing wheels - M&H 26" Tires - E85

Page 1 of 165 123451151101 ... LastLast