Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: BEST WAY TO REMOVE SCRATCHES FROM A BLACK CAR?

1. 04-13-2008 08:26 PM #1
      My car has quite a bit of scratches from the past 8 years and guess what its black tooo so im looking to help it out and remove the scratches and wax or polish the car to get it looking good, anyone know or got a DIY on this? or any recommendations? I was thinking using Meguirs Scratch X and then using Meguirs gold class wax. Any better suggestions on products or tecniques??? thanks boys.

Vehicles
      Owned 2002 GTI 1.8t; 1997 Jetta vr6; Currently 1992 Jetta Carat VR6; 2004 A4 1.8t & 05 Jetta 2.sl0w
      04-13-2008 10:36 PM #2
      Using any wax is going to make it look at least a little better, however if you want to take care of scratches on a 8 year old paint job on a black car I'd suggest wet-sanding and buffing. That's what a professional detail shop would do to make it mint again.

You need a rotary buffer with at least 2 pads (one for the rubbing compound and one for the polish), the compund and the polish themselves (I'd suggest 3M), sandpaper 1200 and 1500, even maybe 1000 if you have some more severe scratches, a spray water bottle and some kind of final wax to be applied by hand.

I'd also reccomend masking off textured parts since compound on those is a pain to get off,

In brief the procedure goes like that:
      1 - Spray water on the panel and sand it down with the coercest sand paper (say 1200), than do it again with the finer and then finest sand papers. When the water dries it's going to look like crap -- all white, like you screwed up the paint. Don't freak out, it'll be OK.

2-Apply generous amount of the rubbing (cutting) compound and rub it in with the buffer, and make sure you use the right pad. Also don't stay in one spot for too long cause you can burn through the paint. After you do the buffing the paint should look alive again but you may still see fine scratches from the compound.

3-Apply the polish, or "swirl remover" (whatever they call it on the bottle) and hit that with the buffer (use the right pad).

At this point it should look real jazzy.

Now you can apply a top coat of a hand wax of your choice.

Just remember to do one panel at a time and don't do it uder the sun on a hot day.

To do the whole car should take you about a day. Take your time and if you're not sure you can do it have someone at least show you in person or even do it for you the first time, cause it sounds easy and it is but it's always good to have had some practice before you do it on a car you want to make sure looks good.

Vehicles
      2012 Golf R | mkiv Jetta 1.8t | mkii Jetta 2.0 digifant
      04-17-2008 08:48 PM #3
      I had a similar question, so I thought I'd post it here. I'm looking for a relatively inexpensive way to renew my paint job. It doesn't have to be like new; I'm mainly interested in getting out the fine scratches that cover the car, and getting a uniform shine back. I've seen products advertised like the one mentioned by the OP. Do these do what they claim to do? If not, what does a shop charge for a procedure like the one explained above?
      2012 Golf R BMP 4dr loaded | Revo Stage 1

Vehicles
      2001 VW GTI
      04-17-2008 08:52 PM #4
      hey good call krum, may i suggest possibly even going as fine as 2000 you will need less time with the buffer then. or if you realy want you can get ahold of 3M's 3000 ultrafina da paper and polish. I use this at school in my autobody class (graduating in about 3 weeks) that stuff is the bomb almost no buffing time compared to 1500 or 2000. its great.
      My JTi