Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: 2000 Passat Alarm Doesn't disarm with key in door

1. 04-15-2008 12:17 PM #1
      You can lock and unlock the drivers door. but some times it wont lock or lock other doors in car and wont disable the alarm.

I have pulled the carpet the comfort module is dry and clean.

It has a duralast battery (700cca) And I suspect its the battery causing the problem. On the battery charger it locks and unlocks every time for me.

any help would be greatly appriciated!!

2. 04-16-2008 11:39 AM #2
      DUDE this same thing has happened to me!!!!!! i sat for 20 min one day to get alram off ... since then i havent locked the driver side door ... i think im just going to disengage alarm system with vag com .... dealer will prob OWN me when it comes to fixing that!!!

3. 04-16-2008 12:16 PM #3
      so no ones had this problem ???

4. 04-16-2008 12:17 PM #4
      i dont think it can be dissabled from what i saw in my service infomation.

i know its gonna cost ym customer 800 including labor

5. 04-16-2008 01:16 PM #5
      WHAT!!!!!!!!

6. 04-16-2008 09:52 PM #6
      from what i understand the comfort module controls the door locks and windows

in a ford it would be called a GEM module

well if its not the module its the central lock unit causing the problem

with a vag com you can change things like if the alarm blinks lights when you arm disam the alarm or stop if from auto locking the doors. thats all

7. 04-17-2008 12:10 AM #7
      if i could stop the auto lock i think that would solve the problem ....

8. 04-17-2008 10:31 AM #8
      Wow i was just going to ask about this, My 99 variant dose this often. Thats really a bummer that there is no easy fix. Let me know what you decided to do about yours.

9. Member
      Vehicles
      2005 VW Passat Wagon (manual), 2006 Audi A4 Cabriolet (CVT), 2009 VW Rabbit (manual)
      04-17-2008 09:59 PM #9
      I went thru this around '01-'02 w/ my '98. Your driver's door (or other door depending on symptoms) lock mechanism needs repair or replacement (mine had the cracked solder joint):

http://www.taligentx.com/passa...anism/

10. 04-17-2008 10:02 PM #10
      ok i just did the job on this and its not that hard i think the lock assembly is like 200-300 new from vw

you need a special 8m tool (looks like a torx but has 2-3 times the teeth and they are finer) for the lock assembly to unbolt it from the door

pull the door panel there is a backing plate to the inner handle/ switch panel that pops off. Also there are two torx screws on the bottom of the door. the rest of the retainers should pop off

then pull out the switch panel and unplug it

pop the door panel off and lift up ( they tend to stick at the top)

Disconect the inner door release cable

Unplug ALL electrical connectors including speaker, mirror (execpt power window connector).
      (i leave the little light on the bottom of the panel for last)

you need to lower the window till the window bolts are visible through the two rubber plugs in the door ( plug the window door lock switch back in.)
      roll window down.
      unbolt window
      pull up and out through the outside of the door
      unplug window/lock switch
      unplug the window motor (youll notice there should be a littleslider in the plug. Slide down as far as itll go then pull the plug off

A t20 torx bit willl be needed to back off the lock screw (inside the plug cover on the latch side of the door) back off the screw until the lock comes out keep trying the lock and unscrewing the t20 torx until the lock cylinder pops out.

DO NOT blindly back it off or the ring that holds the lock cylinder will fall off and youll need to pull the inner door handle off to put it back on AND find a magnet to pull the ring out of the door (there is a metal brace it likes to hide behind if it falls off)

now that the lock cylinder is out youll see a cable in the handle pop the cable off the door handle.

pull all the 10mm bolts holding the inner door
      ok unbolt the door lock latch assemble (AKA central lock unit)
      there are two 8mxm8 (or somthing like that bolts)

Take all 10 mm bolts off the large silver door plate (this plate holds the door lock, speaker, window motor and window track.
      the window track hanges a little lower that the plate so pull up and towards the car.

ok now you need to pull the last plug on the "central lock cylinder" pop the rubber gromet and the wires out of the plate.

take this assembly to a work bench

the locking unit youll see is riveted on to a bracket, but is also bolted to the door when installed...

NOTE: the black plastic brace on this assembly that holds on the central lock unit is only there to hold everythinng in place durring instalation.

if you drill this rivet expect the black plastic brace to melt
      suggest you buy this brace from VW or do this ..

drill hole in the brace and use a large heavy ziptie and go through the hole of the new locking unit and through the brace.

before ataching the new locking unit atach all cables and lock knob.

remeber to guide the lock knob throught he hold in the door plate before attaching the locking unit to the plastic brace.

ok reverse everything

get the plate in the door DO NOT BOLT IT IN YET

plug central lock unit electrical plug back in.

put door locking unit bolts back in the door

Reach your hand in carfully inside the door and put the cable back in the lock cylinder hole and push it into the handle track (from the front)

put lock in gently

tighten lock retaining ring bolt (above the lock latch bolts in the door)

STOP

TEST and make sure every thing works
      use a screw driver to close the door latch
      (this will alow you to lock the drivers door)
      you have to plug in the window motor power plug to operate locks

OK everything work? the rest is a snap

bolt the plate on
      Put in the window, bolt it down.
      plug all electrical connectors in.
      put door panel back on
      put in the window/ lock switch
      put on the lockswitch back plate.

hope this helps some one
      Jacob Russell

Modified by torquetuning at 7:45 PM 4-17-2008

11. 04-17-2008 10:53 PM #11
      OOOOMMMMMMMMMGGGG dude i feel like i have to perform, this since you went through all the trouble of typing this

12. 04-17-2008 11:01 PM #12
      the above posting to mine shows a how to also it includes some repair info of the locking unit and awesome pictures!

its not as bad as it looks at first glance to a look at his page and the pictures on the side and let me know if you have problems

Aloha !
      jacob

13. Member
      Vehicles
      2005 VW Passat Wagon (manual), 2006 Audi A4 Cabriolet (CVT), 2009 VW Rabbit (manual)
      04-24-2008 09:43 PM #13
      Quote, originally posted by torquetuning »
      ...you need a special 8m tool (looks like a torx but has 2-3 times the teeth and they are finer) for the lock assembly to unbolt it from the door...

For anyone needing more info on the tool, it's called a Triple Square (or TSQ). The only place I found it locally at the time was Autozone. A set of 4 bits was $12.

Modified by passatcabrio at 6:44 PM 4-24-2008

14. 04-24-2008 11:13 PM #14
      i priced them out a good set lifetime warranty is like 45 from MAC tools

just the 8mm needed for the door is 35ish from SnapOn also lifetime warranty

15. 08-16-2011 11:27 AM #15
      The problem may be a defective door lock mechanism, maybe recognition of the physical key. I discovered this problem when I lost my remote and had to buy a new key. It came from Germany to my mechanic in about 3 days...but the alarm wouldn't disable. I'd also had this problem with my 2000 Jetta...
      However, I have no problems with my remote key (just found it again!) So...if a $250 remote key (ouch!) is cheaper than repairing the lock cylinder...

btw nice site and great emoticons!

Vehicles
      MK6 GTI 6MT, MK4 Jetta Wolfsburg Lapping Car Project,
      08-16-2011 11:33 AM #16
      Back from the dead!!!

But seriously, this is good info - there have been at least 5 threads on door lock modules in the past couple weeks.
      VAGKRAFT 2014 registration is OPEN!! | Red Beetle Heritage Wheels for sale | Micro Can VagCom in the Toronto Area

Vehicles
      all gone, looking for another one
      11-04-2011 04:24 PM #17
      Here's what worked on mine. the alarm goes of by itself, the car locks and unlocks by itslelf and doesn't start, so the lock assembly seems to be kaputt. BUT THE OTHER LOCK ( IN THE TRUNK) IS OK, WHILE THE DR LOCK HAS A PROBLEM, IF YOU UNLOCK WITH THE KEY A STILL HEALTHY TRUNK LOCK THE ALARM DEACTIVATES. GL!
      It is a time for a new lock for a 11 year old car.