Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Suggestions for a small gas grill?

Vehicles
      1998 vw passat 1.8t & 2003 vw gti 20th anniv BT
      04-22-2008 12:51 AM #1
      I am looking for a small gas grill. One I can put in the trunk of my car if I wanted to. Portable!

Show me your suggestions.

Thanks

some of my ideas:

Blue Rhino
      10,000 BTU Gas Grill
      $30

BBQ grillware™
      12,000 BTU Table Top Gas Grill
      $50

BBQ grillware
      Deluxe Portable Gas Grill
      $60

Perfect Flame
      Portable LP Gas Grill
      $80

Perfect Flame
      Dual-Burner Gas Grill
      $100

I don't want to break $100.

Let me know if you know of others.....

Buy my 20th! 550WHP/480TQ only 3k on the engine: http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...I-(BMP)-550whp

Vehicles
      Volvo C30 T5 6sp manual / Mazda5 5sp manual
      04-22-2008 02:09 AM #2
      Quote, originally posted by shotofgmplease »

Blue Rhino
      10,000 BTU Gas Grill
      $30

I have that one in my backyard. It's alright for $30-$40ish. Nothing fancy at all. Not that a portable grill should be fancy.

The back row of flames seems to be much hotter than the front row.

I use it for kabobs and chicken wings. Used it for steaks and pork chops a few times. They turned out fine.

I just line some aluminum foils inside the grill for easy clean up.

Modified by genjy at 11:11 PM 4-21-2008

Vehicles
      04-23-2008 08:43 AM #3
      anymore input from anyone else?
      Buy my 20th! 550WHP/480TQ only 3k on the engine: http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...I-(BMP)-550whp

4. 04-23-2008 11:52 AM #4
      How about the Weber Q series? I think you can get them for under $100. It would be more durable than most of those also. I've always had good luck with Weber's.

Vehicles
      04-23-2008 12:27 PM #5
      Quote, originally posted by NastyPuppy »
      How about the Weber Q series? I think you can get them for under $100. It would be more durable than most of those also. I've always had good luck with Weber's.

those are super nice but do break the $100 mark.

however i will take that series into consideration.

Vehicles
      04-26-2008 11:04 AM #6
      ok i made my purchase after doing my research....

i went with a weber product and at first i didn't know which one from the q series but after going to the store and seeing that there is a big difference. i opted for the smallest since i was looking for the best portable grill.

i chose the weber q 100, it's the cheapest of them all and very simple, i bought it yesterday and did the quick assembly and actually have used it twice already (before and after going to the bar!). i have to say...i love it so far. cooks even and has plenty of space!

7. Member
      Vehicles
      '12 CC
      04-26-2008 11:29 AM #7
      Quote, originally posted by shotofgmplease »
      ok i made my purchase after doing my research....

i went with a weber product and at first i didn't know which one from the q series but after going to the store and seeing that there is a big difference. i opted for the smallest since i was looking for the best portable grill.

i chose the weber q 100, it's the cheapest of them all and very simple, i bought it yesterday and did the quick assembly and actually have used it twice already (before and after going to the bar!). i have to say...i love it so far. cooks even and has plenty of space!

Smart man.

Vehicles
      04-26-2008 01:28 PM #8
      and i present to you....my new baby:

9. 04-26-2008 06:09 PM #9
      Nice buy. Looks like a good deal that you got there.

Happy Grilling

Vehicles
      04-27-2008 04:57 AM #10
      i picked up my weber q 100 from sears since they had recently sent me a $75 gift card for screwing up an order i had regarding another purchase. however at sears, i only had 2 options for an in-store purchase. the weber q 100 or 200. like i said before the 200 was too big for my needs but i also didn't get the option of picking up the weber q 120, which has little side tables, like so: (i could of only picked up this model from sears if i had bought it from sears.com but would of had to pay shipping)

so i went online and wanted to purchase a grill cover and this griddle, i saw when doing my original research. so i found the grill cover i wanted and the griddle but i found so much more too! i was on a website called http://www.northlineexpress.com and found the following and got free shipping! so it all worked out. here are the additions that i purchased:

weber q tool set:

weber q table kit: (so now i'll have those side tables like the weber q 120)

weber q handle light: (for those light night grilling sessions when you don't want anyone else to know...you're crazy and you like to grill food in the middle of the night )

so like i said, i was looking for a cover. i did find some nice vinyl ones that covered the grill nicely. then i found one that fit exactly what i wanted since this was a portable grill. more than just a cover but also making it easy to transport too: (this baby has 2 inline skate wheels, so i just have to pull it around if i don't want to carry it)

now the griddle, cause sometimes you just wanna put some bacon or possibly even an egg on your burger, or maybe just cook breakfast on the grill..pancakes and all!

so yeah...i ended up dropping more on the actual accessories than what came out of my pocket for the grill since sears paid for $75 dollars of it. however, now i have basically everything i'd need.

didn't suprise me that i did this since if you saw my car...it's all kinda snowballed to where it is now. so it was like modding my grill!

Modified by shotofgmplease at 4:59 AM 4-27-2008

Modified by shotofgmplease at 4:59 AM 4-27-2008

04-27-2008 08:50 PM #11
      Good stuff. I need to pick up a small gas grill. My apartment banned charcoal grills and my little coleman is too small. I want to be able to have corn on there at the same time as the meat. Hell a good sized steak will use all the room.

Modified by VR6GTI72 at 5:53 PM 4-27-2008
      XBL: Skip Fourplay

GO SHARKS!!!

12. 05-01-2008 02:22 AM #12
      I have one of the weber Q 200's - I highly recommend it. I use it about 3-4 nights a week. The cast iron surface is great once you get it seasoned. One of my favorite things about it is that the distance between the grates is pretty small so you can cook cut up vegetables on it. Lately I've been doing stir fry on it and nothing falls through. I also like putting cut up red potatoes with rosemary on it. The grill cooks very evenly, so you have tons of space. Get the hose attachment for the 5 gallon tank, as using those little bottles adds up quickly.

Vehicles
      05-01-2008 07:52 AM #13
      Quote, originally posted by Turbo44 »
      I have one of the weber Q 200's - I highly recommend it. I use it about 3-4 nights a week. The cast iron surface is great once you get it seasoned. One of my favorite things about it is that the distance between the grates is pretty small so you can cook cut up vegetables on it. Lately I've been doing stir fry on it and nothing falls through. I also like putting cut up red potatoes with rosemary on it. The grill cooks very evenly, so you have tons of space. Get the hose attachment for the 5 gallon tank, as using those little bottles adds up quickly.

no doubt!

i originally was gonna get the 200 myself but it was too big for my needs and i wanted it to fit everywhere with no issues. my gti has a small trunk . however the rest of the features are the same and you're right about the spacing on the grates, this truely was a great purchase.

14. 05-01-2008 10:58 AM #14
      wow, i think i paid like $230-$240 for this grill in 2005

it was from a small hardware store in summit, nj (uppity little town)

i've got the cover, and the stand so i don't have to bend over on the ground, hmmm

15. 04-06-2012 03:09 AM #15
      I've had my Weber Q-100 for almost two years now and I love it! I moved into an apartment building a few years ago and I had to get rid of my large gas BBQ grill (also a Weber). However, I missed being able to grill at a moments notice. Then I saw the Weber Q-100 at a store that sells mostly to RV owners. They had several others on sale but the store manager said that the Weber was the only one to consider. I bought one and immediately fell in love with it. It works great with fish, steaks, chicken, veggies, you name it! The grill is sturdy and well made. I've never had any problem with the electric starter as some have mentioned. A couple of thoughts:

* Use aluminum foil on the inside, or else it is a bear to clean
      * Use the foil tray in the drip pan for the same reason (I bought replacements at a hardware store that carries this grill)
      * Keep the burner ring free from grease or it won't light all of the way around
      * It does seem to go through gas quickly so either use an adapter for a large tank or have plenty of spare cannisters around in case you run out in the middle of a meal

I keep it on the front porch where it hardly takes up any space. I let the neighbors in my building use it as well. We all love our little Weber!

Vehicles
      04-09-2012 10:15 PM #16
      Quote Originally Posted by arthursteelex View Post
      I've had my Weber Q-100 for almost two years now and I love it! I moved into an apartment building a few years ago and I had to get rid of my large gas BBQ grill (also a Weber). However, I missed being able to grill at a moments notice. Then I saw the Weber Q-100 at a store that sells mostly to RV owners. They had several others on sale but the store manager said that the Weber was the only one to consider. I bought one and immediately fell in love with it. It works great with fish, steaks, chicken, veggies, you name it! The grill is sturdy and well made. I've never had any problem with the electric starter as some have mentioned. A couple of thoughts:

* Use aluminum foil on the inside, or else it is a bear to clean
      * Use the foil tray in the drip pan for the same reason (I bought replacements at a hardware store that carries this grill)
      * Keep the burner ring free from grease or it won't light all of the way around
      * It does seem to go through gas quickly so either use an adapter for a large tank or have plenty of spare cannisters around in case you run out in the middle of a meal

I keep it on the front porch where it hardly takes up any space. I let the neighbors in my building use it as well. We all love our little Weber!
      I agree 100% as I too have had mine for just as long. Great grill!

Vehicles
      EJ251, EJ255, EZ30D(R)
      04-21-2012 05:03 AM #17
      lol, spammich.
      ...tunes from the car makin' everybody dizzy. bumpin' Flaming Lips, Johnny Cash and Biggie...

Support Your Local Homebrewery
      Pocket Pool Team Captain IPRO

Vehicles
      2011 Prius
      04-21-2012 02:54 PM #18
      Looks like a nice one on Woot today:

99 dollars.

http://home.woot.com/

Marine Park/Ozone Park NYC - Current Cars: - '12 Honda Odyssey '14 Autobahn/Nav GLI 6 M/T '01 Accord
      Vehicles
      Previous Cars: '10 Subaru Outback MT '08 BMW 328XI 6MT '08 GTI 6MT '07 Rabbit 5MT - '96 Corolla
      04-22-2012 11:57 PM #19
      i have your answer

~$100.00
      infrared ceramic burner
      propane
      14,000 BTUs

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003D09ETW/...SIN=B003D09ETW

Product Features

• This grill DOES need a AAA battery installed behind the push button ignoghter.
      • All stainless steel construction and Built in infrared ceramic burner.
      • 14,000 BTU output.
      • Operates on 1lb. disposable propane bottle.
      • Easy start electronic ignition.

Vehicles
      04-25-2012 11:38 PM #20
      weber q > all other travel size grills

Vehicles
      DD: Mazda3 O: Explorer | Uncertified Preowned: Sportage, xB, Golf GL
      04-27-2012 01:10 PM #21
      My gf buys the $25 grills at Fred Meyer/Kroger, knowing she'll have to replace it in about a year or two. They're small, and run off the 1lb. camping propane.

However, I dislike them. My garage-shopping mother found a Coleman Marine BBQ, and gave it to me. So that's what I BBQ on. Love it.
      ITT: People who ask for advice and completely ignore it.
      Stop making things idiot-proof. We're just making better idiots. Not the way we need to be going.
      //// @mbull //// blog //// instagram ////