Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 1 of 104 123451151101 ... LastLast

Thread: The 'official' running thread.

Vehicles
      List your car(s) owned here
      04-24-2008 01:13 PM #1
      so i've been having some great conversations in other threads about running, everything from starting out to equipment to experienced runners... but those conversations tend to spring up in threads about other topics.

i know there's runners in here, whether they speak up or lurk... so being that there is no running forum i thought i would start a thread specific to running and see how it goes. just please keep it OT.

let's see what happens.

I'm just a regular Joe, with a regular job. I'm your average white, suburbanite slob.

You could not pay me enough to own another Ford or another hybrid ever again. http://badges.fuelly.com/images/sig-us/203834.png

Vehicles
      04-24-2008 01:18 PM #2
      i'll get it going... i'm a newbie runner. played baseball and hockey in h.s. so endurance is something new to me. i'm running my first 5k next weekend as a base time, and then i will begin my real training.

after i run the 5k i will begin the real program to try and build my endurance and drop my time. i plan on 10k's being my next stop, but i want to see how the progress actually goes with the 5k.

my intial program is going to be:

Mon: Off
      Tue: Tempo run of 2-4 miles
      Wed: Something sprint/speed based
      Th: Tempo run of 3-4 miles
      Fri: Off
      Sat: Slow 2 miles
      Sun: Slow long run, starting at 4, thereafter either 5 or 6.

it's a slight tweak (on Tues.) to this program http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_4/142.shtml with a little elaboration based on a program i found at runnersworld.com... my own hybrid.

would love some input from the experienced folks in here.

I'm just a regular Joe, with a regular job. I'm your average white, suburbanite slob.

You could not pay me enough to own another Ford or another hybrid ever again. http://badges.fuelly.com/images/sig-us/203834.png

Vehicles
      Scirocco, Scirocco Passat
      04-24-2008 01:41 PM #3
      I'm a new runner this winter/spring as well, part of ym overalll get-into-shape plan.

Beginning stats: 5'11", close to 250 with some asthma and no endurance.

I've been using this 12-week walk/run program:
      http://www.lifecommstore.com/b...m.pdf
      and after some bronchitis and other setbacks, I'm on week 7; never could have imagined I would run for 10 minutes without a break!
      So far I'm doing about 2.25-2.4 miles in about half an hour, jogging around 5.4mph.

I upgraded from DSW clearance rack adidas to some specific running shoes from Fleet Feet, and that has made a huge difference for comfort & shinsplints.

So far it's been a lot of fun, although I know there is still a ton of room for improvement.

4. Member
      Vehicles
      '08 WRX, '97 Jetta, '91 Yamaha
      04-24-2008 01:42 PM #4
      I did my second ever 5K last week and I am thinking of entering another one this saturday.
      I do like endurance activities, but I am having a hard time committing myself to training for them, because I also want to lift to gain muscle. Anyone know how much I could endurance train and still gain muscle? I know most of you in here do zero cardio, but if I run 5-10 miles a week, will I totally sabotage any lifting gains?

5. 04-24-2008 01:46 PM #5
      I'm just starting to train for a 5k at the beginning of June. I ran the same one in about 25min last year when I was not in very good shape. I'm trying to break 20min this year (hence the actual training rather than just the usual "playing basketball keeps me in good enough running shape" mentality I used last year).

Vehicles
      04-24-2008 01:55 PM #6
      Quote, originally posted by Elliot »
      I'm just starting to train for a 5k at the beginning of June. I ran the same one in about 25min last year when I was not in very good shape. I'm trying to break 20min this year (hence the actual training rather than just the usual "playing basketball keeps me in good enough running shape" mentality I used last year).

nice, a 5 minute gain would be solid! i'm planning on being in the 23's for this one. i know once i start doing my program and getting in the 4, 5, and 6 mile runs that the 5k will be much easier. for now the longest i do is a 5k, but i do it 3-4x a week.

Vehicles
      04-24-2008 01:58 PM #7
      Quote, originally posted by G-rocco »
      never could have imagined I would run for 10 minutes without a break!
      So far I'm doing about 2.25-2.4 miles in about half an hour, jogging around 5.4mph.

ya i found pacing to be a big hurdle myself. as of now i could go out and run a 6:30 mile, but i would follow it up with an 8:00 and then probably a 10:00... which isn't really pratical or effective and i would feel like garbage if i did it that way.

Vehicles
      69 78 92 96 08
      04-24-2008 02:06 PM #8
      OT RUNNING THREAD!

My stats/background:
      I'm 5'10", 162 lbs and have been running for 9 years. The only formal race I've ever competed in was the OC Marathon in 12/04 and finished in under 4 hours. Right now I run about 15 miles per week and about a third of that is during two days each week of Fire PE at a local college, which can either be long distance or shorter tempo-type stuff. It makes it hard to have a planned training schedule so I just adapt week by week to get my miles in. I plan to start training for some sub-marathon length races starting in the fall.

Anyway, I'm doing a long run on a treadmill today because I was stupid this week and picked up a couple of nice sunburns. My normal shady, flat trail is infested with beehives right now and I can't run at night because I have plans. I haven't run on a treadmill in over a year... not looking forward to it.

Anyone else using an online training log, like the one on http://www.runnersworld.com? I just started mine on the first of this month. It's quite helpful.

Modified by Sozsei at 11:09 AM 4-24-2008

Vehicles
      04-24-2008 02:22 PM #9
      i made my own excel spreadsheet. i time my mile marks and it calculates my min/mile and mph for each consecutive mile... has been very handy so far. i noticed right off the bat that a moderate speed during the first 2 miles that left me with enough juice for a bit faster last mile (for 5k of course) shaved a good 30 seconds off my training time.

i also noticed (and felt it yesterday) that 2 days off for what i am doing was too much, so I am adding back a bit of Tuesday work, but not the extent (yet at least) of what my program wants me to do.

Vehicles
      95 GTi VR6 (Sold), 88 RX-7 (Sold), 1996 GTi VR6 (Sold), Rocking a 2013 Jetta Sportwagen TDI w/DSG
      04-24-2008 03:40 PM #10
      I award this thread points and the OP for creating it. I normally run Mondays Tuesdays and Thursdays. I used to do Mon-Tues Thurs-Fri, but I wanted Fri off. I occasionally do self testing on the weekends; higher intensity running to get a taste of my limits. I need to do more distance and more frequency though.
      THERE CAN BE ONLY ONE!

Vehicles
      2013 Toyota Corolla, 2010 Toyota Corolla.
      04-24-2008 03:52 PM #11
      Jnm, can you link up that spreadsheet some how?

So far I am at about 3k and it's taking, ah, like 20 mintues. I suck at life.

"I don’t want the company to be driven by numbers. I want it to be driven by making better cars and contributing to society. That will turn into profit, which we can use to develop better cars. That should be the cycle, and that will, as a result, build a company with a strong foundation."
      -Akio Toyoda

Vehicles
      04-24-2008 04:13 PM #12
      well... not sure how to host an excel file. i tried google docs but its very clumsy and lost a lot of formatting. i can e-mail if you want, but the site that Sozsei mentioned is good too.

http://traininglog.runnersworl....aspx

edit: actually that runnersworld one has a ton of info you can log, really cool, going to start using it. also, when i was entering my route to save it, i learned that my 3 mile mark is actually my 3.1 mile mark... so my times are all going to drop by about 45 seconds. w00t!. gotta update my charts at home i guess.

Modified by jnm1point8t at 4:48 PM 4-24-2008

Vehicles
      95 GTi VR6 (Sold), 88 RX-7 (Sold), 1996 GTi VR6 (Sold), Rocking a 2013 Jetta Sportwagen TDI w/DSG
      04-24-2008 04:27 PM #13
      Quote, originally posted by jnm1point8t »
      well... not sure how to host an excel file. i tried google docs but its very clumsy and lost a lot of formatting. i can e-mail if you want, but the site that Sozsei mentioned is good too.

http://traininglog.runnersworl....aspx

Screen shots? View the excel file as you want it to be seen and hit the print screen button. Host the pics and then post. Just an idea.

THERE CAN BE ONLY ONE!

Vehicles
      69 78 92 96 08
      04-24-2008 04:39 PM #14
      Quote, originally posted by jnm1point8t »
      well... not sure how to host an excel file. i tried google docs but its very clumsy and lost a lot of formatting.

If it would help, I could host the excel file on my ftp site and post a link to it. PM me for my email address if you want me to give that a shot.

edit, I'm going for my run right now so I'll be away from the computer for a few hours.

Modified by Sozsei at 1:43 PM 4-24-2008

Vehicles
      04-24-2008 04:47 PM #15
      PM SENT
      "I don’t want the company to be driven by numbers. I want it to be driven by making better cars and contributing to society. That will turn into profit, which we can use to develop better cars. That should be the cycle, and that will, as a result, build a company with a strong foundation."
      -Akio Toyoda

Vehicles
      04-24-2008 08:00 PM #16
      I just got back from my run (I'm a noob) and after about 1 mile, my shins were fuggin killing me. I'm off until Monday.
      THERE CAN BE ONLY ONE!

Vehicles
      04-24-2008 08:55 PM #17
      alright, here's a screen shot. you can copy and paste to excel but all the formatting is lost. my 5k times here are actually a bit high ... as i said, i found out i was going a bit too far on my runs.

i just copy and paste one day that has the formula in it to another day and edit the times. easy enough to add a line if you need more than 4.

also... i have a different tab for each month.

it's easy for a quick look, but that runnersworld one is just awesome, though takes a bit to update every run.

oh yeah, and you have to convert seconds in time to hundreths... 15 seconds becomes .25, 30 seconds bceoms .50, etc.

http://spreadsheets.google.com...FBHNQ

Modified by jnm1point8t at 8:57 PM 4-24-2008

Vehicles
      04-24-2008 09:43 PM #18
      Not bad. 3 miles if I could complete it would probably take me about 30 minutes+ right now.
      THERE CAN BE ONLY ONE!

Vehicles
      e36/8 M
      04-25-2008 02:27 AM #19
      A couple of days ago I ran a 5k in barely under 25 minutes. Not bad for a chubby guy who has only been running for a couple of months. Next goal is a 21 min 5k.

I still need to get my tempo and breathing down as it's still kinda screwed up. I'll be going along good and feeling great and short a breath and it kills me. It sucks.

Vehicles
      04-25-2008 09:29 AM #20
      What are you guys using for gear?

IE, any special shirts, shorts, under "garments"..?

-Akio Toyoda

Vehicles
      04-25-2008 09:34 AM #21
      i have an under armour undershirt that is meant to keep you warm that i use when its cool out. other than that nothing special.

Vehicles
      Scirocco, Scirocco Passat
      04-25-2008 10:00 AM #22
      Quote, originally posted by SteveMKIIDub »

I've got a million T-shirts, so I just wear those. THey do get pretty heavy with sweat, so I can see buying some UA typer stuff in the heat of the summer.

I've been trying to find the right undershorts. Bosers are too.. well, bouncy. I've got some UA comperssion shorts that are good, but they're long! Bought some champion C9 stuff at target and that works pretty damn well
      TMI warning
      I'm a big giy, and have always had the 'thunderthighs' I don't have a problem with the twig n' berries, just a lot of discomfort at the top of my thighs from the wrong undershorts and chafing
      But the C9 stuff works damn well, along with some microfiver boxerbriefs I got at H&M a while ago.

Yesterday I tried to do my 'off day' run around the neighborhood; It was agony! Oh, the shin splints! I guess my legs are conditioned to running on the treadmill, which sucks, cause it's nice to be outdoors sometimes.

Vehicles
      04-25-2008 10:07 AM #23
      ya my first few times after the winter treadmill was torture on my shins, stretch them out too! they are muscles too.

Vehicles
      04-25-2008 10:44 AM #24
      anybody else have runners knee? i have it a bit in my left knee and found some simple exercises to strengthen the quads while even sitting at a desk.

25. Member
      Vehicles
      2k1 1.8t gti, 2k10 CR-V
      04-25-2008 11:10 AM #25
      I run a bit... Just did Boston on Monday sub 3hrs and have taken it easy since then with mostly biking. Did run ~4 miles yesterday to loosen up my wooden legs and they feel pretty normal today. For shorts if you look for actual running shorts you'll find they have a liner inside, sorta like a built in speedo under the shorts to support the boys. Even without thunder thighs and wearing running shorts, mine were chafed to hamburger Monday and the post race shower was not fun for that part. I try to stick to tech type shirts for any real running, though I've got tons of old race shirts for general use when it's not 90 out. I don't think I've ever had shin splints but guess you just have to slowly build your base and be wearing good shoes.

I've entered a couple of races for the summer so far including a half marathon in late May in Boston and the Mt Washington road race in late June. I know I have to work on my speed as I only hit the track once this year in training for the marathon so will probably do a bunch of 5k's like the free fun runs my town's police puts on Thursday nights soon. My training is a bit lax in general, never really kept too much track of what I've run. I looked at some training plans the other month for the marathon but ended up running pretty much how I felt. The past few years I've done Boston and slacked off the rest of the year, biking some but only really running again in Jan/Feb but hopefully I'll keep things going this year.

Vehicles
      04-25-2008 11:28 AM #26
      ya i saw your thread in the cycling forum about almost catching lance

but in all seriosuness, that is some awesome speed

hopefully you can give us n00bs some pointers.

oh, and i live right near you.

27. Member
      Vehicles
      2k1 1.8t gti, 2k10 CR-V
      04-25-2008 12:00 PM #27
      Heh, better watch out or I'll jump in that 5k you're thinking of if I find it, and then be promptly blown out by random Kenyan's like the 5k I did in Newton the other week. I don't tend to do many races shorter than half marathons other than the Manchester road race on Thanksgiving but I really want to work on my speed. Might even just start hitting the track constantly and work on sprinting instead of this marathon shuffle I've developed. Pie in the sky hope is that if I keep the training up I can do something silly like near the 2:30's by next year; chances are my wife would leave me if I actually trained that much though
      Feel free to ask any questions out there and I'll try to help. I have been running and racing since middle school through college to now at 30, though I'm not the most disciplined trainer out there. Not sure if I can be totally helpful to very beginners, but who knows. The runnersworld.com forums have sections dedicated to beginners like their magazine in general, along with areas for injury questions, not that I'd point anybody away from here...

Fun link time, this is the McMillan running calculator, it'll give a rough idea of what one might be capable of if they trained for a distance and paces to train. Obviously it's not going to be terribly accurate if you've just started running, did one timed mile and wondered what your marathon time might be, but it's interesting. It came out pretty close to my Boston time based on my other races this year, though I trained through all the others. For instance I ran a half marathon after my longest mileage week including a 15 miler the night before the race, and a hilly 16 mile race in 3 inches and counting of snow.
      http://www.mcmillanrunning.com...r.htm

Vehicles
      04-25-2008 12:14 PM #28
      make it happen... http://www.needhamtrack.org/ it's a small one, only pulled 108 people last year, but the winner was a 15:59 for a 5:08 pace, which is pretty damn fast in my book.

29. 04-25-2008 01:21 PM #29
      Broke my toe lastnight. Half marathon next month = not gonna happen.

Vehicles
      Focus hatch
      04-25-2008 01:51 PM #30
      3 weeks ago I couldn't run a mile without completely breaking down and dying.

This morning I ran 3.5 miles without getting winded, even though I ran sprints last night till I was dead. Jesus Christ I love getting back into shape.

Vehicles
      69 78 92 96 08
      04-25-2008 02:07 PM #31
      Damn, slugman! Nice job!

Quote, originally posted by SteveMKIIDub »

As far as shorts go, I like soccer shorts and these light-weight knee-length Reebok things I just got. Nothing special at all. I just wear lightweight t-shirts that I can take off and tuck into my waistband when it gets to hot. I LOVE running in the rain as long as I have a skin-tight UnderArmor garment on under my regular shirt. It makes things so much easier when you're soaked. Recently, I picked up some synthetic mesh Jockey boxer briefs that are a freakin' joy to run in compared to anything cotton. I got them at Kohls.

Modified by Sozsei at 11:13 AM 4-25-2008

32. 04-25-2008 02:11 PM #32
      Under Armor shorts, Under Armor shirt, and Mizuno shoes for me.

I'm kind of an Under Armour whore.

Vehicles
      Forester XT, MK5 Rabbit
      04-25-2008 02:26 PM #33
      22 years old - 6' - 160lbs - Amateur Runner

Events:
      -3 Healf-Marathons (Best time 1:38)
      -6 5K Races (Best time 20:38)

Taining:
      I tend to log 15-20 mile weeks during the colder months, and 20-30 mile weeks in the summer. I am always attend different types of non-official events to see where my strengths are.

34. Member
      Vehicles
      2001 Golf TDI
      04-25-2008 02:29 PM #34
      I love the McMillan site for the calculator. Their six-step training program looks good to me too... When I looked on the net for training tips, it seems everybody has wildly different ideas on what's best. I don't know if they're any better than the others, but I try to follow some of the pace guidelines there. I used to run all my runs at what would I guess be considered a tempo run and all these sites were telling me to take it easy and slow down.. I do a good mix of workouts, but most of the time I'm just doing easy pace runs now.

I never even got into all that stuff until the last year or so. I had been running on and off for the last 7 years maybe, but it wasn't until I signed up for a marathon last year while slightly enebriated that I've been more consistent at it. When I started running I had no interest at all in doing a marathon, it just didn't appeal to me. I also had the view that most people that sign up for a marathon only do it so they can brag about it to other people. I don't know if I'd say that now, but I bet it still holds true for a lot of people. Either way it gets people active who might not be otherwise, which is always good. I know it was making the commitment to do that race that got me logging my runs, which keeps me going out.

I never did do that marathon though . I ended up with a knee issue, probably a result of being stupid and overtraining and had to take a long time off. I still have some issues with it, but oddly enough running doesn't seem to bother it. If it hold up maybe I'll try it again by the end of the year but who knows... I find that half-marathon distance is ok, but my body is not happy doing stuff longer than that. I've been doing up to about 16km at a time and 45km a week lately, so I'll have to see if stuff holds up for longer stuff, but so far so good.

I'm not even that fast, but decent enough. I started doing little races for fun and found there's a pretty wide range of abilities there. I'm probably around 22 min or so for a 5k. I'd love to get down to 20 even which seems close, but when I look at the pace I'd have to run it looks a long way off for me.

For the people looking at the online training logs, particularly the Runnersworld one... take a look at http://www.runningahead.com (I choose to use excel and a pc-based program that works with my watch rather than an online log but I liked it when I tried it). It's my understanding that Runnersworld licensed their log from RunningAhead so it's exactly the same, the difference being that RunningAhead continues to update there's and make improvements. So that might be a better option if you're looking to get started with a log. Their user-uploaded course database is separate if you like those - both of them have quite a few courses in my area, I can't really tell which has more.

Vehicles
      04-25-2008 02:38 PM #35
      ya, i know exactly what you are saying. i started running just to do it and be active. i started logging it and it made it a bit more real. i also find i need to slow down for some runs, so i'll be doing that this weekend for once.

i also had zero interest in a marathon, but when the boston came through i started looking into it a bit more and it's begun to creep into my thoughts. i know i could start training for one right now but i think that'd be too much too fast for me and put me off to the whole running thing.

how about runners high... anyone ever get it? wikipedia mentions a study that says it's not actually endorphins (scientists injected people with endorphin blockers and they still got runners high) but rather a naturally occuring chemical very similar to THC, so the term runners high really may be quite appropriate. anyways, for those who have experienced it and the supposed pain numbing sensations, did you find you all fo a sudden felt as if you could go further than you thought you would have been able to?

Page 1 of 104 123451151101 ... LastLast