Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 5 of 103 FirstFirst 1234567891555 ... LastLast

Thread: The 'official' running thread.

Vehicles
      95 GTi VR6 (Sold), 88 RX-7 (Sold), 1996 GTi VR6 (Sold), Rocking a 2013 Jetta Sportwagen TDI w/DSG
      05-05-2008 11:25 PM #141

It's kind of easy to pinpoint pain in your spleen if you know where it is.

THERE CAN BE ONLY ONE!

Vehicles
      mk3s
      05-06-2008 12:36 AM #142
      Quote, originally posted by DubUnit »
      I guess I'll put this in here, why not.. I've been playing a lot of soccer recently, and it has always been my problem, even back in HS... my first step or my acceleration is just not at a point where I want it to be. I think I have a decent top end.. that can always improve with some sprints. And I looked around the internets a little bit.. I guess it is a question of fast twitch vs slow twitch muscles? They say fast twitch muscles build most effectively when you lift around 70% 1rm.. or do the actual activity (sprinting, burst runs)..

My question is, what muscles are prominent in getting your initial acceleration? I know this is not the key to being fast. Other things like BF% and natural ability play a role... but does anyone know? or is there a specific way to train, as far as lifting is concerned? Any college athletes in here?

To improve your quickness I would recommend sprints in short spurts,
      high knees, quick feet, butt kicks. Anything to get your legs moving
      quick will help you out of the gate. A lot of your pick up speed can also be
      generated from your upper body. Get used to pumping your arms chest high
      to thigh and nothing past. Im a little guy, so in soccer quickness was my
      strength and my track coach was always hounding me lol

Dan's Auto Sales & Repair CT Auto Repair and Used Car
      Creep....

IM me for Air Ride Installs, Frame notches, ect.

Vehicles
      69 78 92 96 08
      05-06-2008 12:39 AM #143
      Quote, originally posted by 95GTIVR6Speed »

It's kind of easy to pinpoint pain in your spleen if you know where it is.

There is a lot of stuff in that left upper quadrant, brotha. You've got a stomach, colon, pancreas, liver, lung and spleen all occupying the same space right there, not to mention your diaphram. If it's really your spleen that's hurting, you probably want to see a doctor ASAP because it holds a significant amount of blood and a rupture would send you into hypovolemic shock and ultimately kill you without very quick emergency medical treatment.

My money's actually on your diaphragm. I get weird sharp pains on either side towards the ends of my long runs. I attribute it to something called a "stitch." Check this out and see if it matches your problem. http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/h...0.stm. My second guess would be your stomach.

Modified by Sozsei at 9:41 PM 5-5-2008

Vehicles
      95 GTi VR6 (Sold), 88 RX-7 (Sold), 1996 GTi VR6 (Sold), Rocking a 2013 Jetta Sportwagen TDI w/DSG
      05-06-2008 07:06 AM #144
      Quote, originally posted by Sozsei »

There is a lot of stuff in that left upper quadrant, brotha. You've got a stomach, colon, pancreas, liver, lung and spleen all occupying the same space right there, not to mention your diaphram. If it's really your spleen that's hurting, you probably want to see a doctor ASAP because it holds a significant amount of blood and a rupture would send you into hypovolemic shock and ultimately kill you without very quick emergency medical treatment.

My money's actually on your diaphragm. I get weird sharp pains on either side towards the ends of my long runs. I attribute it to something called a "stitch." Check this out and see if it matches your problem. http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/h...0.stm. My second guess would be your stomach.

Modified by Sozsei at 9:41 PM 5-5-2008

Nah that doesn't sound like it.

THERE CAN BE ONLY ONE!

5. 05-06-2008 07:20 AM #145
      Quote, originally posted by jnm1point8t »
      first times always suck, and ya, i imagine it was only made worse by the lifting.

what did you do to your knee last year? i've banged mine up a bit in the past.

I was in a motorcycle accident and partially tore my ACL in my left knee. I am SO sore today in my groin, hip flexors, and obliques from the sprints yesterday.

Quote, originally posted by 602crew »

Don't forget running hills. That's great for speed and endurance. But, make sure you walk down backwards, or at least a gradual zig-zag down to keep the strain off your knees.

Good point. Thanks!

Vehicles
      List your car(s) owned here
      05-06-2008 07:21 AM #146
      ugh... my posterior shin splint just wont go away permanenetly. gotta be something mechanical but i'm going to have to take a few days off for now. it doesnt help that i walk about 2 miles a day to/from work and another 2-3 with the dog. can't cut those back so it's going to have to be the running miles.

... but couldnt have come at a more opportune time... heading to Mexico early Thursday morning. i'll maybe run once or twice depending how i feel, but i am NOT looking forward to my first week back to running after vacation.

They're steppin' on my rhythm and they're stealin' all my lines

Every day on the bike is a day not in the Fusion.

7. 05-06-2008 10:24 AM #147

... but couldnt have come at a more opportune time... heading to Mexico early Thursday morning. i'll maybe run once or twice depending how i feel, but i am NOT looking forward to my first week back to running after vacation.

You shouldn't be thinking about that now man, you should be enjoying your vacation.

Vehicles
      05-06-2008 10:38 AM #148
      Drinking margaritas, banging senoritas FTW!
      THERE CAN BE ONLY ONE!

Vehicles
      05-06-2008 10:40 AM #149
      Quote, originally posted by spoolin215 »
      You shouldn't be thinking about that now man, you should be enjoying your vacation.

ya... but im a bit disappointed i can't run.

d'ah well, nothing some cerveza and tequila won't help me forget about.

i spose i could use a week off running anyways, i think i've been a bit too serious about my training. im just starting out, there's no need to rush things.

plus when i come back i will do the first week back on at my easy pace as a nice easing back into things and see how the shin goes. it's not terribly painful, in fact it doesn't even make me stop running... but it also hasn't gone away and i could see it becoming more of an issue.

Modified by jnm1point8t at 10:42 AM 5-6-2008

Vehicles
      Focus hatch
      05-06-2008 11:10 AM #150

ya... but im a bit disappointed i can't run.

d'ah well, nothing some cerveza and tequila won't help me forget about.

i spose i could use a week off running anyways, i think i've been a bit too serious about my training. im just starting out, there's no need to rush things.

plus when i come back i will do the first week back on at my easy pace as a nice easing back into things and see how the shin goes. it's not terribly painful, in fact it doesn't even make me stop running... but it also hasn't gone away and i could see it becoming more of an issue.

Modified by jnm1point8t at 10:42 AM 5-6-2008

Rushing things leads to injuries...ask me how I know. I haven't been able to run for 2 weeks and it'll probably be another 2 before I can get back into the swing of things. Thank God for bicycles...

11. Member
      Vehicles
      2k1 1.8t gti, 2k10 CR-V
      05-06-2008 11:21 AM #151
      Yeah, when starting out it's a good idea to take some off or easy time to let your body adjust. Goes along with the loose rule of not increasing your mileage more than ~10% a week when new. Sorry I missed that race Sunday, my achilles isn't co-operating totally yet; along with company visiting. The heel hurts to the touch and occasionally feels like the tendon is pulling out... One thing that I know gets me is when I run to work (like I try to do whenever possible) in the morning, my tendons are a bit tight and it tends to lead to slight issues like this. I've just gotta remember to stretch more than usual or take the bike and it goes away shortly. At the moment though I still feel like my legs are wooden, not smooth at all.

Vehicles
      05-06-2008 11:46 AM #152
      it was a nice race. granted i dont have anything to compare it to, but i had a good time. the rain had stopped and there was still the light mist and overhanging clouds we had most of the day. one thing i was pretty surprised about was despite only being 120 racers, a few people still pulled over to take pictures, and every now and then there was people who came out of their houses to cheer us on which was nice.

i went through 2 miles at a 7:15 pace, which i felt was very comfortable, but i knew i couldnt keep it up. i need some more experience and endurance/muscle from long easy training runs. if i could have only managed another 3/4 mile at that pace i would have dropped a full minute from my time, but i had to cut it back or else i would have had to walk a portion, and that was not an option in my book, not for a 5k.

If i can get that conditioning built up and do a mid 22 minute i'll be very pleased for being such a n00b.

but... in terms of my shin... it has me a bit scared, i've never had shin splints on the inside, only the outside... but i've also never run on a consistent basis. pain isn't anything more than a dull ache that i would put at a 3 out of 10... i do notice that morning stiffness (hey now!) you speak of, and after it gets loosened up it goes away... until after the run and it stiffens up again. i've been applying ice but i read i shold be doing heat. after icing last night (didnt run, day off) i noticed it hurt more. going to do the heat thing and hope it works. keeping fingers crossed it is a simple muscular issue.

13. 05-06-2008 11:59 AM #153
      I have a 5.5 mile trail run I run usually twice a week. lots of switchbacks, roots, etc. it's a singletrack for mountain bikes. Ran a PR yesterday 46:15 wa hooo!

just had to share

Vehicles
      69 78 92 96 08
      05-06-2008 01:13 PM #154
      Quote, originally posted by jopr175 »
      I have a 5.5 mile trail run I run usually twice a week. lots of switchbacks, roots, etc. it's a singletrack for mountain bikes. Ran a PR yesterday 46:15 wa hooo!

just had to share

Hahaa, nice!

Once a week, I run a 5.0 mile trail with 1,200 feet of elevation rise and fall. My PR there is 46:03 but I don't try to break that very often. It's pretty steep coming down off of the mountain and I'm worried about developing knee problems.

Vehicles
      05-06-2008 01:30 PM #155
      Quote, originally posted by Sozsei »
      Once a week, I run a 5.0 mile trail with 1,200 feet of elevation rise and fall. My PR there is 46:03 but I don't try to break that very often. It's pretty steep coming down off of the mountain and I'm worried about developing knee problems.

wow... if you do 2.5 miles straight up and then 2.5 of down that comes to a 9% grade.

Vehicles
      69 78 92 96 08
      05-06-2008 02:10 PM #156

wow... if you do 2.5 miles straight up and then 2.5 of down that comes to a 9% grade.

There are people that run it twice too! Crazy bastards.

I'm trying to map it out on mapmyrun.com to confirm the numbers and see graph of the elev. changes but the site isn't cooperating.

17. 05-07-2008 10:12 AM #157
      i'm looking to by shoes for my g/f's mom, she is starting to run...but she gets shin splints, her knees bother her, and she has bunnions....anyone recommend shoes for her??

i tried the shoe dog, but no real go based on those specifics

i was thinking maybe Mizuno Nirvana's...

18. 05-07-2008 10:17 AM #158
      best thing for you to do is get her in a running store where they can properly fit her with the correct shoe.

Vehicles
      Scirocco, Scirocco Passat
      05-07-2008 10:21 AM #159
      Quote, originally posted by 602crew »
      best thing for you to do is get her in a running store where they can properly fit her with the correct shoe.

Maybe get her a gift certificate to a running store?

20. 05-07-2008 10:30 AM #160
      ok...we wanted to surprise her, but maybe its just best to take her to the running store...

thanks

21. 05-07-2008 11:06 AM #161
      wrap up an old pair of running shoes in a shoe box with a GC on top. That will surprise her.

Vehicles
      69 78 92 96 08
      05-09-2008 09:39 PM #162
      I was thinking... I'd actually rather see a dedicated lifting forum instead of a running forum. *Most* people here seem to lift for looks and bragging rights instead of for health and fitness. I'd be very pleased to get a running forum though.

I'm dealing with shin splints right now, too. I've taken the last three days off and I'm freakin restless. Can't wait to run through the foothills in the fog tomorrow morning and try out my semi-rested shins.

23. 05-10-2008 01:16 PM #163
      I just did my longest run to date. 9 miles in 1 hour 15 mins.

Vehicles
      2013 Toyota Corolla, 2010 Toyota Corolla.
      05-10-2008 08:30 PM #164
      Wow, what's been going on in here?? Sounds like were all falling apart

I have been sick and have NOT been out. I think I may through some lifiting in when running days are not an option (screw running in the rain and muddy road!), other then that.. this thread is rocking

"I don’t want the company to be driven by numbers. I want it to be driven by making better cars and contributing to society. That will turn into profit, which we can use to develop better cars. That should be the cycle, and that will, as a result, build a company with a strong foundation."
      -Akio Toyoda

Vehicles
      e36/8 M
      05-11-2008 04:21 AM #165
      Went out for a run last night while it was raining lightly and about 35 deg and I was still a little bit tipsy from irish car bombs but it was one of the best runs I've had EVER. I didn't think to grab my GPS or my watch to monitor what I just did but I'm guessing I ran a good 6 miles and after did a whole bunch of push-ups and pull-ups

It's acctually kinda surprising how full of beer and meat this week has been I've made some of the most significant gains in my run times and lost 3 pounds of mostly fat. It's kinda weird but whatever, I'll roll with it.

26. Member
      Vehicles
      Z4, Cayenne S
      05-11-2008 11:51 AM #166
      does anyone have any personal experience with vibram five fingers shoes? not for long distance running, but for short sprints once or twice a week?

05-12-2008 01:52 AM #167
      Bleh, well I had my final 20 mile long run yesterday before tapering down to the Rock n Roll marathon in June, quite painful. Still battling some nagging butt pain, but the chiropractor said I just have to battle through it.

28. Member
      Vehicles
      2001 Golf TDI
      05-12-2008 06:58 AM #168
      Quote, originally posted by CTAC2003 »
      does anyone have any personal experience with vibram five fingers shoes? not for long distance running, but for short sprints once or twice a week?

Not personally, though I've been meaning to pick up a pair this summer - I don't know anybody local that carries them though. My sister-in-law just got a pair and brought them by yesterday actually.

29. 05-12-2008 08:11 AM #169
      Quote, originally posted by salsanacho »
      Bleh, well I had my final 20 mile long run yesterday before tapering down to the Rock n Roll marathon in June, quite painful. Still battling some nagging butt pain, but the chiropractor said I just have to battle through it.

Congrats! My Best friend is running in that. I was gonna try to make it over there to watch him, but I have a gig the night before.

30. 05-12-2008 09:44 AM #170
      I have a question for you experienced runners...

I've been running for about 4 weeks now (5k - 3x per week) and every time I get done running my calves are sore for about 8 hours, and then they feel fine.

I am stretching before I run, and I have no problem with shin splints. When I first started running I thought it was just a result of a lack of use and that once I'd been running for a while they would improve. Well, my times and my endurance has improved, but my calves still feel exactly the same!

Is it something I'm doing wrong or is it just something that will take time to improve?

Thanks!

31. 05-12-2008 10:35 AM #171
      you might want to pay extra attention to them before running. Try stretching them a little longer and multiple exercises. Also, do a cool down stretch after you're done.

Do they hurt during your run?

32. 05-12-2008 10:52 AM #172
      Yeah, they hurt a little. It's not that bad, but I can definitely tell that they are a little tender while I'm running. Then when I stop they really tighten up for a while, but by the end of the day they are fine.

The strange thing is that I'm not sore anywhere else, except my ankles feel a little tender sometimes.

What are some good calf stretches you would recommend?

33. 05-12-2008 11:02 AM #173
      Read up on Runnersworld.com They have a lot of info. But, I have found there is sometimes too much and they can overlap and even contradict.

Here's one.
      http://www.runnersworld.com/ar....html

34. 05-14-2008 02:29 PM #174
      ok, so i'll like an ass, just found this thread

not sure if it was brought up but if it hasn't: anybody looking to start a running program i highly recommend the Couch-to-5k program i went thru via coolrunning.com

http://waycoolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

sorry if i'm repeating any used info, but i can't say enough about this program.

and i never understood why anyone would have different shoes for running....till now

Vehicles
      05-14-2008 02:31 PM #175
      I did my ****ty personal best running yesterday (on a treadmill)

Went 1.5 miles at a 5 MPH pace (18 minutes) and legs didn't hurt at all, no side stitches, no getting winded. Gonna periodically go up a tenth until I get to my goal

THERE CAN BE ONLY ONE!

Page 5 of 103 FirstFirst 1234567891555 ... LastLast