Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 85 of 104 FirstFirst ... 357581828384858687888995 ... LastLast
    Results 2,941 to 2,975 of 3606

Thread: The 'official' running thread.

Vehicles
      2007 Audi A3, 2000 New Beetle 1.8t
      06-11-2012 11:20 AM #2941
      My Newton's are in! Gonna run out at lunch to pick them up.

Cyber Green. It's not a color. It's a way of life.

'00 GLX Cyber Green / Cream, 5sp.

'12 Mini Countryman S All4 6sp.

Vehicles
      '10 CC Lux, '12 JSW TDI, '03 4Runner
      06-11-2012 11:44 AM #2942
      2 miles in the fives today. Breaking my body in slowly...

Vehicles
      2001 Golf GLS, 2013 Rogue, and some running shoes
      06-11-2012 11:57 AM #2943
      Quote Originally Posted by pdoel View Post
      My Newton's are in! Gonna run out at lunch to pick them up.

What shoes did you previously own? What made you choose Newton?
      Quote Originally Posted by GreenandChrome View Post
      "We" tried it. It was called "metrosexualism" and it didn't work. Now the pendulum is on the other end, where men are trying to prove they're men by growing hillbilly beards. If they'd stop wearing their sister's jeans, it might actually work.

Vehicles
      06-11-2012 01:13 PM #2944
      I have a pair of Brooks Ghosts, and a pair of Asics.

I like that the Newtons are a good transitional shoe to get started with barefoot running. They have different models, depending on how quickly you want to jump in. There are ones with bigger heels that are very easy to transition to, or ones that may take a few weeks, but are really built to keep you in good form. So I went with the ones more for form, than helping me transition more easily.

I believe I already have a good stride, so shouldn't be bad.

Vehicles
      06-11-2012 01:34 PM #2945
      I have a pair of Brooks Ghosts, and a pair of Asics.

I like that the Newtons are a good transitional shoe to get started with barefoot running. They have different models, depending on how quickly you want to jump in. There are ones with bigger heels that are very easy to transition to, or ones that may take a few weeks, but are really built to keep you in good form. So I went with the ones more for form, than helping me transition more easily.

I believe I already have a good stride, so shouldn't be bad.
      Have you had a video taken of yourself running? I thought my stride was great with no pronation, mid foot strike and all. I was way off!!
      "We" tried it. It was called "metrosexualism" and it didn't work. Now the pendulum is on the other end, where men are trying to prove they're men by growing hillbilly beards. If they'd stop wearing their sister's jeans, it might actually work.

Vehicles
      06-11-2012 02:05 PM #2946
      No, but we have a lot of seminars and such at the store, as well as training together. So the trainers do offer tips / suggestions on form and such.

Vehicles
      06-11-2012 05:50 PM #2947
      No, but we have a lot of seminars and such at the store, as well as training together. So the trainers do offer tips / suggestions on form and such.
      What kind of exercises were suggested to improve form?

Vehicles
      06-11-2012 06:14 PM #2948
      I've never been given exercises to do to improve my form. But there's lots of information out there about what the proper form should be. Mid-foot strike, obviously. Slight lean forward, not moving your arms to the extent where you're shifting your whole body to the right and left, etc.

As I mentioned a few posts back, lots of great info here: www.naturalrunningcenter.com

9. Member
      Vehicles
      2006 mk5 GTI
      06-12-2012 03:40 PM #2949
      Quote Originally Posted by jnm2.0t View Post
      So after my coyote run-in I'm looking for a folding knife, thinking Ka-bar Mule. What color tho...

Tho this one seems to only be serrated

If you're worried about dogs or coyotes or other biting animals don't waste your money on a knife. An animal can bite you several times in the time it takes you to cut it. A collapsible baton was also mentioned but I use one regularly and wouldn't recommend one for that purpose. Pepper spray is very effective on dogs. Much cheaper than the other options, lighter to carry and very easy to deploy. Just my $.02.

10. Member
      Vehicles
      2006 A4 Avant
      06-13-2012 08:59 AM #2950
      Barefoot running update.... managed to run 1.5 miles in 14 minutes last night, while not exactly fast, I am slowly increasing the distance/speed as I get more used to running with nothing on my feet. No calf or foot pain either, which was good, and I felt like I could have ran further, but did not want to push things.

What's really cool about it, is that it really does feel more natural. The first few times I felt like I was going to fall, and it just felt really really weird. Now it feels normal, and it seems easier to run faster.

I plan to stick with 1.5 miles this week, then increase that next week to 2 or more miles.

I should add, this is all currently on a treadmill. When I start to run outside, I will probably pick up some shoes.
      Twitter/Instagram: idfront
      Xbox Live: DaDa5069

Vehicles
      Boring Automatics
      06-14-2012 01:19 AM #2951
      I just had to post this....I'm really excited for myself.

I last posted in this thread almost 2 years ago. I was shooting for couch to 5k and slowly working up to 10K. Things happened, fell off the training wagon, gained weight etc. blah blah. I decided back in January to do a half this coming October. I was so out of shape, 10 min mile just about killed me. I joined a gym, have been working out 4-5 times a week religiously, a lot of running/cardio.

This past weekend I decided to see where I'm at, since I have not attempted a timed a run since January. Started out at a slow measured pace, 70% heart rate(i use a chest strap). After 3 miles I looked at my watch and was astonished to see >26 mins and I barely broke a sweat. I was stoked and ramped it up to see if I could knock out another 3. I think I pushed it a little hard, knocked out the next one at 7:15 and finally finished at 50:32 for the 6 miles. Woohoo!!! My goal was 2:00 for the half, but it looks like I have to reassess, maybe a 1:45? I'm planning on joining a running group put together by the shoe store at the end of July to start seriously training for it. I'll share my progress as that comes along later. BTW, I've dropped 50lbs since January, lightest I've been in over 15 years.

Vehicles
      06-14-2012 11:03 AM #2952
      Good job man. You should be excited. Keep up the good work!

Vehicles
      06-14-2012 11:17 AM #2953
      Quote Originally Posted by Dal97GLX View Post

I last posted in this thread almost 2 years ago. I was shooting for couch to 5k and slowly working up to 10K. Things happened, fell off the training wagon, gained weight etc. blah blah. I decided back in January to do a half this coming October. I was so out of shape, 10 min mile just about killed me. I joined a gym, have been working out 4-5 times a week religiously, a lot of running/cardio.

This past weekend I decided to see where I'm at, since I have not attempted a timed a run since January. Started out at a slow measured pace, 70% heart rate(i use a chest strap). After 3 miles I looked at my watch and was astonished to see >26 mins and I barely broke a sweat. I was stoked and ramped it up to see if I could knock out another 3. I think I pushed it a little hard, knocked out the next one at 7:15 and finally finished at 50:32 for the 6 miles. Woohoo!!! My goal was 2:00 for the half, but it looks like I have to reassess, maybe a 1:45? I'm planning on joining a running group put together by the shoe store at the end of July to start seriously training for it. I'll share my progress as that comes along later. BTW, I've dropped 50lbs since January, lightest I've been in over 15 years.
      Well done! Keep it up and who knows, maybe you'll hit 1:45 or less!

14. Member
      Vehicles
      2006 mk5 GTI
      06-14-2012 03:01 PM #2954
      Quote Originally Posted by Dal97GLX View Post

Well done. I'd say you can be a little more aggressive that 2 hours for 13.1 unless it is right around the corner. 50 lbs. is a huge change so make sure you don't push so hard that it is no longer fun.

Vehicles
      06-18-2012 04:05 PM #2955
      Ran in a 10K yesterday. Finished in 49:50. Nowhere near my best, but considering I've only been back for 2 weeks after two months off with a stress fracture, I'll take it!

Vehicles
      06-18-2012 04:59 PM #2956
      I did a 12 mile loop on saturday. No pain at all, Im loving my Noosa Tri's more everytime I go for a run!

It started out with an 18degree incline for the first 2.5 miles. This made me tired for the rest of the run. It wasn't awful smart of me to start the run that way. I should have ran the loop in the opposite direction. That was my longest run ever.Because of the incline killing me so early,... i took a 2min/mile hit on my average....

On the positive note,.... I ran the whole time, no walking, no pain, and I keep on adding more distance!

17. Member
      Vehicles
      2006 A4 Avant
      06-20-2012 10:07 AM #2957
      Managed to run 3 miles yesterday in 26:20, while not exactly lightning fast, I am fairly pleased as it's the longest I have managed to run with no shoes on, I never particularly cared for running, and am about 40lb overweight. No pain at all when I was done, or during, my goal is to try and get down to around a 23:00 minute time.

18. Senior Member
      06-25-2012 01:27 PM #2958
      A friend's husband does ultramarathons.

Padraig finished early this morning. His time was 24 hrs.50 minutes and I think 21 secs. I crewed for him all day and then joined him for the last 22 miles. Recovering now. Conditions in the first escarpment and in the canyons in the first 30 miles were horrible: 40 mile winds freezing rain. It got better later but when we were running in the middle of the night it went down to the 30's. Fair play to all runners there.

Padraig has started doing these ultra-marathons in the wilds, mountains, woods, etc. This past run was 100 miles in California - The Western States 100 - from Squaw Valley to Auburn.

Vehicles
      Saab STi, SportWagen TDi
      06-25-2012 02:00 PM #2959
      Quote Originally Posted by Cooper View Post
      A friend's husband does ultramarathons.

Padraig finished early this morning. His time was 24 hrs.50 minutes and I think 21 secs. I crewed for him all day and then joined him for the last 22 miles. Recovering now. Conditions in the first escarpment and in the canyons in the first 30 miles were horrible: 40 mile winds freezing rain. It got better later but when we were running in the middle of the night it went down to the 30's. Fair play to all runners there.

Padraig has started doing these ultra-marathons in the wilds, mountains, woods, etc. This past run was 100 miles in California - The Western States 100 - from Squaw Valley to Auburn.
      Western States is no effing joke.

It's one of those things on my bucket list. Hats off to whoever has actually finished it!
      Turbo Unicorn | HS Tuning | 42DD | Cabin Krew

Vehicles
      06-25-2012 03:47 PM #2960
      Why are runners so anti-advice? Well, maybe it's more female runners.

I'm in two running groups, both have Facebook groups and tons of conversations going on. It's painfully obvious we have a lot of the following:

1.) Beginners who "got the bug" and now want to do as much as they possibly can, NOW.
      2.) People obsessed with their weight who over train like crazy.

We have everything from a 300 lb woman who finished the marathon this year in over 8 hours. They actually closed the course and she had to beg them to let her finish. She's already registered for two fall marathons.

We have a girl who was chubby, just had knee surgery, and insists on doing 4 hour spin classes a day on top of her running.

We have a girl who just finished her first marathon in 5.5 hours, who posted, "So, I just signed up for the Goofy Marathon LOL LOL LOL For those that don't know, it's a half marathon on Saturday followed by a full on Sunday. HA HA HA. I'm crazy. LOL LOL LOL So I decided I may as well sign up for another half the following weekend in CA. HA hA HA. LOL LOL LOL Am I crazy? People think I am. LOL LOL LOL."

Ugh. So someone created a new topic about over training. MAN did these chicks throw fits. Sorry, but when you add that many LOLs and HA HA HAs, you aren't taking training nearly as serious as you think you are.

Next year when you're getting both hips replaced and your knees are shot, don't come crawling on your hands and knees and expect any pity.

21. Member
      06-25-2012 04:11 PM #2961

Not trying to troll here, I just thought the sticker was funny.

Vehicles
      06-25-2012 04:15 PM #2962
      Why are runners so anti-advice? Well, maybe it's more female runners.

I'm in two running groups, both have Facebook groups and tons of conversations going on. It's painfully obvious we have a lot of the following:

1.) Beginners who "got the bug" and now want to do as much as they possibly can, NOW.
      2.) People obsessed with their weight who over train like crazy.

We have everything from a 300 lb woman who finished the marathon this year in over 8 hours. They actually closed the course and she had to beg them to let her finish. She's already registered for two fall marathons.

We have a girl who was chubby, just had knee surgery, and insists on doing 4 hour spin classes a day on top of her running.

We have a girl who just finished her first marathon in 5.5 hours, who posted, "So, I just signed up for the Goofy Marathon LOL LOL LOL For those that don't know, it's a half marathon on Saturday followed by a full on Sunday. HA HA HA. I'm crazy. LOL LOL LOL So I decided I may as well sign up for another half the following weekend in CA. HA hA HA. LOL LOL LOL Am I crazy? People think I am. LOL LOL LOL."

Ugh. So someone created a new topic about over training. MAN did these chicks throw fits. Sorry, but when you add that many LOLs and HA HA HAs, you aren't taking training nearly as serious as you think you are.

Next year when you're getting both hips replaced and your knees are shot, don't come crawling on your hands and knees and expect any pity.
      I have no problem helping if people ask or if I see something terribly wrong. Otherwise, I won't help you. Most runners around here have a pole up their a55, thinking they are some elitist in the sport. I think its the L.A. air, being so close to it.

Why is it that the not so fast runners are more humble and more likely to wave/say hi when I wave/say hi?

23. Member
      Vehicles
      2006 A4 Avant
      06-25-2012 04:51 PM #2963
      Quote Originally Posted by 4-Dr-W-a-T View Post
      Why is it that the not so fast runners are more humble and more likely to wave/say hi when I wave/say hi?
      Because we know we are not so fast, and so like to at least be friendly, maybe has something to do with feeling accepted.

I picked up some shoes at the weekend, Vibrams Bikila LS, they feel a little strange having my toes separated, but at the same time are very comfortable (so far only walked around the house in them). See below for why...

Last Thursday I think I pushed myself too far, and have been having Achilles pain since. So, not been able to run at all. I think it was a combination of increasing distance, speed and not stretching as much as I had been (I kept getting interrupted, so felt somewhat rushed to get going). I am hoping it clears up soon

24. Member
      06-26-2012 02:26 PM #2964
      I apologize if this has been covered, but does anyone know of a pacing app? Essentially, I want my phone to beep at some predetermined interval (say, every 35 seconds) and keep track of overall elapsed time as well.

TIA.

Vehicles
      06-26-2012 02:59 PM #2965
      Quote Originally Posted by pops View Post
      I apologize if this has been covered, but does anyone know of a pacing app? Essentially, I want my phone to beep at some predetermined interval (say, every 35 seconds) and keep track of overall elapsed time as well.

TIA.
      Have you tried RunKeeper?

26. 06-26-2012 03:48 PM #2966
      Quote Originally Posted by naiku View Post
      Last Thursday I think I pushed myself too far, and have been having Achilles pain since. So, not been able to run at all. I think it was a combination of increasing distance, speed and not stretching as much as I had been (I kept getting interrupted, so felt somewhat rushed to get going). I am hoping it clears up soon
      i had Achilles tendinitis when i was marathon training. the only thing you can do is back off a lot. when it starts to hurt STOP. Ice every night at least, aspirin if needed, and only stretch when it is healed. ease back into it and be sure to stretch your calves when the tendon is no longer sore.

worked for me in 2 weeks

27. 06-26-2012 08:13 PM #2967
      Any one have any good sites for cheap running shoes? I got my last 3 pairs for 60 each A while back with a brooks employe discount and a sale on their website.

I usually check sierratrading post and zapos but no luck so far.

I currently have brooks adrenaline gts for my road runners and adrenaline asrfor my trail shoes.

Vehicles
      06-26-2012 08:50 PM #2968
      www.roadrunnersports.com

If you join their VIP club (one time fee, do t have to repay each year) you get I believe, 20% off all purchases and free shipping.

They also have great deals on discontinued shoes and such.

06-26-2012 10:42 PM #2969
      1st post with my new username (formerly DenverMINI)

Unfortunately, I haven't been running for the last 10 days due to straining a muscle near my left hip when I fell at the bottom of a section of stairs during a trail race. Looks like I won't be running again for anywhere from 1.5-5 weeks.

So, I'm no longer doing the full San Francisco Marathon. I'm hoping things work out where I can run the 2nd half (Golden Gate Park to the Ferry Terminal).

Quote Originally Posted by NYCgolf View Post
      Any one have any good sites for cheap running shoes?

I currently have brooks adrenaline gts for my road runners and adrenaline asrfor my trail shoes.
      http://www.runningwarehouse.com/ free 2-day shipping and excellent service. That said, their discount codes don't usually apply to brooks.

Vehicles
      06-27-2012 12:07 AM #2970
      Quote Originally Posted by NYCgolf View Post
      Any one have any good sites for cheap running shoes? I got my last 3 pairs for 60 each A while back with a brooks employe discount and a sale on their website.

I usually check sierratrading post and zapos but no luck so far.

www.runningwarehouse.com

and

www.leftlanesports.com -> I beleive this is Running Warehouses older stock or not so popular models. You can still get some good prices
      Last edited by 4-Dr-W-a-T; 06-27-2012 at 10:02 AM.

31. 06-27-2012 08:50 AM #2971
      Thanks guys! that runners wharehouse looks legit. I think i will be placing my order soon. I used to shop at roadrunner.com but i found their prices not so great.

32. Member
      Vehicles
      2006 A4 Avant
      06-27-2012 09:03 AM #2972
      Quote Originally Posted by robhurlburt View Post
      i had Achilles tendinitis when i was marathon training. the only thing you can do is back off a lot. when it starts to hurt STOP. Ice every night at least, aspirin if needed, and only stretch when it is healed. ease back into it and be sure to stretch your calves when the tendon is no longer sore.

worked for me in 2 weeks
      Thanks for the advice, it sucks not being able to run at the moment, especially as I was really starting to enjoy it. Thankfully it is only very minor pain, hoping to try out a short run tonight.

Vehicles
      06-27-2012 12:14 PM #2973
      Quote Originally Posted by naiku View Post
      Thanks for the advice, it sucks not being able to run at the moment, especially as I was really starting to enjoy it. Thankfully it is only very minor pain, hoping to try out a short run tonight.
      Just be careful. As already stated (and trust me, I know how hard this is), if you feel pain, stop. It's not worth making it worse, it will only extend your downtime.

34. Member
      Vehicles
      Pale yellow Christmas Packard.
      06-27-2012 12:22 PM #2974
      I had a fawn pacing me the other day. It was cute and probably the most unique running experience I have had. It followed about ten feet behind me. Not for very long as I tried to get it off the road, but it seemed to be trying to get me to follow it.
      Man...sacrifices his health in order to make money. Then he sacrifices money to recuperate his health. And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived. - Tenzin Gyatso

Vehicles
      06-27-2012 01:18 PM #2975
      Quote Originally Posted by 2Cor View Post
      I had a fawn pacing me the other day. It was cute and probably the most unique running experience I have had. It followed about ten feet behind me. Not for very long as I tried to get it off the road, but it seemed to be trying to get me to follow it.
      Ha ha. Cute. I saw a group of deer once chasing each other through a football field while doing speed work one night.

Your comment reminded me though. Have any of you ever had someone sneak up behind you and draft off you for a run? I used to get this a lot when I'd run at the gym on the track (ugh, I HATED that place). The other day was the first time I've ever experienced it outside. Just running along, and suddenly, I caught someone out of the corner of my eye, just a tad bit behind me, and to my side. No biggie, figured they'd pass me any second. A few seconds later, they dropped in behind me. About 5 minutes later, same thing, same person. This went on for 4.5 miles of my 5 mile run. Drives me insane.

It's one thing to draft or pace off someone you know, when it's planned. But it really throws off a run when some asshat just comes up and assumes it's ok. I was doing a nice easy pace (did speed work the day before, had a long run planned the next day). It pushes you to do more than you want. I can't stand hearing their feet slapping behind me the whole time, and just pisses me off.

Page 85 of 104 FirstFirst ... 357581828384858687888995 ... LastLast