Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up

    VWVortex


    Page 121 of 146 FirstFirst ... 2171111117118119120121122123124125131 ... LastLast
    Results 3,001 to 3,025 of 3628

    Thread: The 'official' running thread.

    1. Senior Member J-Tim's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 26th, 2000
      Location
      Kangaroo-infested Austria
      Posts
      32,949
      Vehicles
      German/American/French
      08-13-2012 07:00 AM #3001
      Run my first 15km in a crowd of 80,000 people. Gained 216m and done all that in 75 minutes.

      I wasted more time dodgy people hence not being able to pace myself properly. Next year, I am definitely going to try running with a faster group and aim to do this distance in under 70m. I need to qualify in at least two races before then though.

      Never in my life I thought I'd be thinking about running under a certain time, let alone qualifying.
      “I would request that my body in death be buried not cremated, so that the energy content contained within it gets returned to the earth, so that flora and fauna can dine upon it, just as I have dined upon flora and fauna during my lifetime” - Neil deGrasse Tyson.

    2. Member 2.0smurf's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 7th, 2006
      Location
      NJ
      Posts
      2,618
      08-22-2012 09:43 AM #3002
      Over the past 2 months I've really picked up my running and have a few questions for you runners. I moved from Nike Relentless 2's that made my left ankle and knee sore (not to mention I destroyed them in a mud run) to a pair of Asics Gel Blur 33's.

      Over the last weekend I ran a 5 mile 30 obstacle .5 mile swim mud run and had a little knee pain on the last .25 mile. My issue is I took a few days off to rest the knee and find some new shoes. Then last night I got back on the track with my new shoes and ran only 2.75 miles and experienced knee pain on the last lap. My knee is still pretty sore today, is there anything I should do to prevent my knee issue? Could it be from changing my shoes?

      Last question... My best single mile time is 8 minutes 3 seconds, best 3 mile time is 9:10 a mile. Any pointers to pick up my pace?

    3. Member 4-Dr-W-a-T's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 19th, 2006
      Location
      Valencia, CA
      Posts
      1,012
      Vehicles
      2013 Nissin/Frigidare
      08-22-2012 10:03 AM #3003
      Quote Originally Posted by 2.0smurf View Post
      Over the past 2 months I've really picked up my running and have a few questions for you runners. I moved from Nike Relentless 2's that made my left ankle and knee sore (not to mention I destroyed them in a mud run) to a pair of Asics Gel Blur 33's.

      Over the last weekend I ran a 5 mile 30 obstacle .5 mile swim mud run and had a little knee pain on the last .25 mile. My issue is I took a few days off to rest the knee and find some new shoes. Then last night I got back on the track with my new shoes and ran only 2.75 miles and experienced knee pain on the last lap. My knee is still pretty sore today, is there anything I should do to prevent my knee issue? Could it be from changing my shoes?

      Last question... My best single mile time is 8 minutes 3 seconds, best 3 mile time is 9:10 a mile. Any pointers to pick up my pace?
      Where on the knee is the pain? Are you stretching enough? Do you do any cross training?

      Pick up your pace? Run different courses. Do a normal run one day. Another day run hills, another day do speed work. Cross train on non running days.

      Try a schedule like so:

      Monday: Swim or Rest
      Tuesday: Running (Distance)
      Wednesday: Swimming
      Thursday: Run Hills
      Friday: Rest or light swim
      Saturday: Run (Distance)
      Sunday: Core/Abs/Lifting

    4. Member 2.0smurf's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 7th, 2006
      Location
      NJ
      Posts
      2,618
      08-22-2012 10:32 AM #3004
      My knee pain is on my left knee left side of the knee (outer knee area). I try to stretch as much as possible and I'm at the gym 4-6 days a week doing everything from circuit classes to chest and leg work outs. I'm not able to really swim but I do ride my bike at least twice a week at 15-20 miles a ride. It seems like I have "runners knee" from what I've been reading.

      Also to add: My new shoes are better designed for my flat feet compared to my last. So I'm wondering that change might also cause some issues with my legs getting used to the change.
      Last edited by 2.0smurf; 08-22-2012 at 10:42 AM.

    5. 08-22-2012 11:34 AM #3005
      sounds like IT band. all the stretching/rolling/icing/massaging in the world didn't make a difference until i found this stretch.


    6. 08-23-2012 05:15 AM #3006
      I do like endurance activities, but I am having a hard time committing myself to training for them, because I also want to lift to gain muscle. Anyone know how much I could endurance train and still gain muscle?

    7. Member 2.0smurf's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 7th, 2006
      Location
      NJ
      Posts
      2,618
      08-23-2012 08:22 AM #3007
      Quote Originally Posted by robhurlburt View Post
      sounds like IT band. all the stretching/rolling/icing/massaging in the world didn't make a difference until i found this stretch.


      Love the stretch! Went to the gym and spoke to some of the trainers they gave me a nice knee stability work-out to help the knee. I must not have hurt it too bad since it's not as painful tonight. Tomorrow I will do some more knee stabilization and stretching.

    8. Member 4-Dr-W-a-T's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 19th, 2006
      Location
      Valencia, CA
      Posts
      1,012
      Vehicles
      2013 Nissin/Frigidare
      08-23-2012 10:11 AM #3008
      Quote Originally Posted by 2.0smurf View Post
      My knee pain is on my left knee left side of the knee (outer knee area). I try to stretch as much as possible and I'm at the gym 4-6 days a week doing everything from circuit classes to chest and leg work outs. I'm not able to really swim but I do ride my bike at least twice a week at 15-20 miles a ride. It seems like I have "runners knee" from what I've been reading.

      Also to add: My new shoes are better designed for my flat feet compared to my last. So I'm wondering that change might also cause some issues with my legs getting used to the change.
      ????? Not able to swim? That would be the least impact out of all of them,.... and the least stress on your knee....

    9. Member 2.0smurf's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 7th, 2006
      Location
      NJ
      Posts
      2,618
      08-23-2012 10:22 AM #3009
      I mean that I don't have a pool and the gym I go to doesn't either which is why I can't always swim.

    10. Member 4-Dr-W-a-T's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 19th, 2006
      Location
      Valencia, CA
      Posts
      1,012
      Vehicles
      2013 Nissin/Frigidare
      08-23-2012 12:22 PM #3010
      Looking for a 2nd training shoe.... to save my Noosa's for races and occaisional runs.

      Debating between the Asics GT-2170 and the Adidas Supernova Sequence 5

      Anybody using these? Any info would be helpful, thanks in advance!

    11. 08-25-2012 05:33 AM #3011
      hmmmmmm..It seems to kick in at around 4-5 miles during my slower, longer runs and I start feeling like I could run forever. My respirations actually slow down almost to the point where I'm breathing like I were sitting at a desk. If I'm running with a partner, I start getting chatty. It's strange.
      tomhank

    12. 08-29-2012 10:02 PM #3012
      Thanks to one of the kids on the cross country team I coach, I was able to be a guinea pig and get my VO2 max done as a demonstration for the team. Her dad is a PT professor at the local university so we got to go into his lab and do the test. I will say, this was one of the most grueling tests I have ever done. I may not look like I was dying, but i was. This was the last 2+ minutes.
      This was also after a 9 mile run on the street, followed by 20 minutes on the treadmill. (5 minutes in 4 different zones starting at 6:43 and ending at 6:49 and ending with ~10k pace at 5:24)

      http://youtu.be/aFIUDRTw7Bw

    13. Member pdoel's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 14th, 2001
      Location
      Pittsburgh, PA
      Posts
      10,140
      Vehicles
      2007 Audi A3, 2000 New Beetle 1.8t
      08-29-2012 10:19 PM #3013
      UPMC is doing a study on the effect of exercise on cognition as you get older, so we're looking for people to do the V02 tests on, who are over 40. I didn't make it to the last segment, my heart rate was too high. The PA doing the test said no one had made it to the last part, so that's awesome that you did. Ours also wasn't the V02 max, as I guess that requires a crash cart. The worst is the mask. Even though you could breath ok, just felt like you were laboring.
      Cyber Green. It's not a color. It's a way of life.

      '00 GLX Cyber Green / Cream, 5sp.

      '12 Mini Countryman S All4 6sp.

    14. Member pdoel's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 14th, 2001
      Location
      Pittsburgh, PA
      Posts
      10,140
      Vehicles
      2007 Audi A3, 2000 New Beetle 1.8t
      08-29-2012 10:24 PM #3014
      Hmm, watching your video, they did your test differently. For ours, they increased both the pace and the incline for each interval. The speed wasn't bad at all, but the incline got insane.
      Cyber Green. It's not a color. It's a way of life.

      '00 GLX Cyber Green / Cream, 5sp.

      '12 Mini Countryman S All4 6sp.

    15. 08-30-2012 09:59 AM #3015
      The incline was increasing. It was all controlled by the computer. If you listen/watch closely, you can hear them count down and then you can see the treadmill go up.
      I think my pace was a bit quick for the test. I lasted 7 total minutes with the incline ending on 6.

      Results-
      VO2 Max: 73.6
      Max Heart Rate: 199


    16. Member pdoel's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 14th, 2001
      Location
      Pittsburgh, PA
      Posts
      10,140
      Vehicles
      2007 Audi A3, 2000 New Beetle 1.8t
      08-30-2012 10:45 AM #3016
      Nice results! They didn't give us that much feedback. I just know my sub V02 max was in the 80th percentile.

      I am a bit curious why there are differences in the tests they give. I did see the incline increasing on yours, but ours was definitely different. They kept our pace much slower, but compensated with a very steep incline. I actually walked for the first two segments before it got to a speed where I needed to job / run. By the end, the incline was ridiculous. And this is coming from someone who lives in Pittsburgh where we are no strangers to hills.
      Cyber Green. It's not a color. It's a way of life.

      '00 GLX Cyber Green / Cream, 5sp.

      '12 Mini Countryman S All4 6sp.

    17. Senior Member jnm2.0t's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 2nd, 2005
      Location
      Sunnyvale CA
      Posts
      20,112
      Vehicles
      List your car(s) owned here
      09-06-2012 07:35 PM #3017
      Traded in these...



      For these...



      And have lost 5-6 lbs in a month with no knee pain. Will maybe pickup running but for now I'm done. Will probably still do a Thanksgiving Day road race, will be interesting to see how I do vs last year when I was running regularly.
      I'm just a regular Joe, with a regular job. I'm your average white, suburbanite slob.

      Quote Originally Posted by Rabbit5GTI
      You have cornered the entire 'I hate Ford Fusions' market around here
      Quote Originally Posted by Turbio!
      Pure electric vehicles will never fully replace fueled (pure ICE or PHEV) vehicles.

    18. Senior Member FlashRedGLS1.8T's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 17th, 2001
      Location
      Ohio
      Posts
      22,000
      09-07-2012 07:23 AM #3018
      Quote Originally Posted by jnm2.0t View Post
      Will maybe pickup running but for now I'm done. Will probably still do a Thanksgiving Day road race, will be interesting to see how I do vs last year when I was running regularly.
      I do both.

    19. Member evosky's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 13th, 2010
      Location
      noVA / DE
      Posts
      8,170
      Vehicles
      a van
      09-07-2012 08:01 AM #3019
      my glycerin 8's are starting to wear thin after about 1.5 years of use. need to pick up some replacements this fall ... any reco's for something suited more for road running? i don't get out to trails as much as i should ...
      twitter x PSN:zerosaint x MUFC x FS: 18" 4x100 TRD Wheels
      Quote Originally Posted by MrSavvy View Post
      I'll break it down for you simple minded people. VWvortex. The VW stands for Volkswagen. And when you create a forum, admins can create sections within the forum. This forum has a section for general car chit-chat. The car lounge. So you see, even though it's a VW forum, you can still discuss other topics.

    20. Senior Member jnm2.0t's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 2nd, 2005
      Location
      Sunnyvale CA
      Posts
      20,112
      Vehicles
      List your car(s) owned here
      09-07-2012 09:25 AM #3020
      Quote Originally Posted by FlashRedGLS1.8T View Post
      I do both.
      Ive had 2 knee surgeries on my meniscus, it was only time before it started acting up again from running and it was. No such issues with biking at all, even on 2 hour rides. Also I suck at running, but biking is something I seem to be able to do fairly well at. Plus I just love the distances you can cover on a bike.
      I'm just a regular Joe, with a regular job. I'm your average white, suburbanite slob.

      Quote Originally Posted by Rabbit5GTI
      You have cornered the entire 'I hate Ford Fusions' market around here
      Quote Originally Posted by Turbio!
      Pure electric vehicles will never fully replace fueled (pure ICE or PHEV) vehicles.

    21. Senior Member FlashRedGLS1.8T's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 17th, 2001
      Location
      Ohio
      Posts
      22,000
      09-07-2012 10:32 AM #3021
      Quote Originally Posted by jnm2.0t View Post
      Ive had 2 knee surgeries on my meniscus, it was only time before it started acting up again from running and it was.
      Well yeah, that's an issue.

      No such issues with biking at all, even on 2 hour rides. Also I suck at running, but biking is something I seem to be able to do fairly well at. Plus I just love the distances you can cover on a bike.


      You could always do some swimming if you wanted some variety in your non-impact fitness.
      Of course finding and using a pool can be a pita.

    22. Senior Member jnm2.0t's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 2nd, 2005
      Location
      Sunnyvale CA
      Posts
      20,112
      Vehicles
      List your car(s) owned here
      09-07-2012 11:05 AM #3022
      yeah i used to swim but its just too much of a pita. i also love setting out and crossing through many different towns and types of terrains on a bike,keeps it interesting.
      I'm just a regular Joe, with a regular job. I'm your average white, suburbanite slob.

      Quote Originally Posted by Rabbit5GTI
      You have cornered the entire 'I hate Ford Fusions' market around here
      Quote Originally Posted by Turbio!
      Pure electric vehicles will never fully replace fueled (pure ICE or PHEV) vehicles.

    23. Member pdoel's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 14th, 2001
      Location
      Pittsburgh, PA
      Posts
      10,140
      Vehicles
      2007 Audi A3, 2000 New Beetle 1.8t
      09-07-2012 05:11 PM #3023
      Quote Originally Posted by evosky View Post
      my glycerin 8's are starting to wear thin after about 1.5 years of use. need to pick up some replacements this fall ... any reco's for something suited more for road running? i don't get out to trails as much as i should ...
      Most of the shoes you're going to see, are for road running. Much more out there for road, than for trail. Still, I always recommend stopping at a good running store, and let them fit you for shoes. Good to take your current shoes, so they can see how they wear, check your stride, etc. they'll set you up.
      Cyber Green. It's not a color. It's a way of life.

      '00 GLX Cyber Green / Cream, 5sp.

      '12 Mini Countryman S All4 6sp.

    24. Member evosky's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 13th, 2010
      Location
      noVA / DE
      Posts
      8,170
      Vehicles
      a van
      09-08-2012 10:38 AM #3024
      Quote Originally Posted by pdoel View Post
      Most of the shoes you're going to see, are for road running. Much more out there for road, than for trail. Still, I always recommend stopping at a good running store, and let them fit you for shoes. Good to take your current shoes, so they can see how they wear, check your stride, etc. they'll set you up.
      yeah that's actually what i usually do. grew up running cross country just was wondering if anyone had any specific models they liked
      twitter x PSN:zerosaint x MUFC x FS: 18" 4x100 TRD Wheels
      Quote Originally Posted by MrSavvy View Post
      I'll break it down for you simple minded people. VWvortex. The VW stands for Volkswagen. And when you create a forum, admins can create sections within the forum. This forum has a section for general car chit-chat. The car lounge. So you see, even though it's a VW forum, you can still discuss other topics.

    25. 09-09-2012 06:32 PM #3025
      I ran my fall "A" race last Sunday in VA Beach - the Rock & Roll 1/2 marathon.
      I had a goal of 1:15 but I bonked. hard. 74 degrees and 90% humidity at 6:30...just 30 minutes before the start f the race. I came through in 1:19:46. It probably didn't help that I was in "no man's land" from the 10k point on. Guy in front of me at the point was 50 seconds up. I raced the next 7 miles solo.
      Everyone seemed to have a rough day. Still managed to place 3rd in my AG and 31st overall out of almost 11,000. Attempting another one in a month to try and redeem myself.

    Page 121 of 146 FirstFirst ... 2171111117118119120121122123124125131 ... LastLast

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •