Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 86 of 104 FirstFirst ... 367682838485868788899096 ... LastLast
    Results 2,976 to 3,010 of 3619

Thread: The 'official' running thread.

1. 06-27-2012 02:32 PM #2976
      Quote Originally Posted by pdoel View Post
      It's one thing to draft or pace off someone you know, when it's planned. But it really throws off a run when some asshat just comes up and assumes it's ok. I was doing a nice easy pace (did speed work the day before, had a long run planned the next day). It pushes you to do more than you want. I can't stand hearing their feet slapping behind me the whole time, and just pisses me off.
      thats extremely rude. it happens a bunch in cycling, but your supposed to ask if you can draft, or ask if you want to pull together for a bit. to just pop up on someone you don't know and draft 1ft behind you for 4.5mi is good enough reason to rip out some protein farts.

2. Member
      Vehicles
      Pale yellow Christmas Packard.
      06-27-2012 02:44 PM #2977
      Your comment reminded me though. Have any of you ever had someone sneak up behind you and draft off you for a run?
      I've never had that happen. I probably wold have stopped and re-tied my shoes but it would be terribly annoying.
      Man...sacrifices his health in order to make money. Then he sacrifices money to recuperate his health. And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived. - Tenzin Gyatso

Vehicles
      2013 Nissin/Frigidare
      06-27-2012 03:33 PM #2978
      Quote Originally Posted by robhurlburt View Post
      thats extremely rude. it happens a bunch in cycling, but your supposed to ask if you can draft, or ask if you want to pull together for a bit. to just pop up on someone you don't know and draft 1ft behind you for 4.5mi is good enough reason to rip out some protein farts.
      Lucky for me the only drafters i get are my own

If someone tried to follow me, I'd slow down or speed up to check if they really are drafting. If so, I'd ask politely to stop following me. If they don't listen, spittng a loogey/snot rockets/farts/burps will send the message across rather clear.

Or let them do it then follow them the next day, but make goofy faces at them while running.

Vehicles
      2007 Audi A3, 2000 New Beetle 1.8t
      06-27-2012 03:34 PM #2979
      Quote Originally Posted by 2Cor View Post
      I've never had that happen. I probably wold have stopped and re-tied my shoes but it would be terribly annoying.
      Back in the days when I'd run at the gym, I'd try EVERYTHING. I'd slow down, they'd slow down. I'd speed up, they'd speed up. It's a narrow track, and I'd even slow down when I'd approach a group walking together, and motion for the idiot to pass me, and they never will.

I tried everything short of stopping, turning around and slapping the idiot in the face.
      Cyber Green. It's not a color. It's a way of life.

'00 GLX Cyber Green / Cream, 5sp.

'12 Mini Countryman S All4 6sp.

5. Member
      Vehicles
      2006 A4 Avant
      06-28-2012 10:01 AM #2980
      Just be careful. As already stated (and trust me, I know how hard this is), if you feel pain, stop. It's not worth making it worse, it will only extend your downtime.
      Tried to run last night on the treadmill, walked for a minute, started to run, had to stop almost immediately. Incredibly frustrated at this point, I feel like I can move my foot around, up, down etc, but running, not a chance.

It's not painful that I feel the need for any medication, I have pain below my ankle bone on both sides, a little forward of the bone on the outside, and a little back of it on the inside. Hopefully I can at least still cycle while I wait for it to heal completely before running again.
      Twitter/Instagram: idfront
      Xbox Live: DaDa5069

Vehicles
      2013 Nissin/Frigidare
      06-28-2012 01:09 PM #2981
      The past two days, my times are great, but I think body desn't feel like it wants to be running. I should take a few days off.

Anyone else get this?

7. Member
      Vehicles
      2006 mk5 GTI
      06-28-2012 03:01 PM #2982
      Ha ha. Cute. I saw a group of deer once chasing each other through a football field while doing speed work one night.

Your comment reminded me though. Have any of you ever had someone sneak up behind you and draft off you for a run? I used to get this a lot when I'd run at the gym on the track (ugh, I HATED that place). The other day was the first time I've ever experienced it outside. Just running along, and suddenly, I caught someone out of the corner of my eye, just a tad bit behind me, and to my side. No biggie, figured they'd pass me any second. A few seconds later, they dropped in behind me. About 5 minutes later, same thing, same person. This went on for 4.5 miles of my 5 mile run. Drives me insane.

It's one thing to draft or pace off someone you know, when it's planned. But it really throws off a run when some asshat just comes up and assumes it's ok. I was doing a nice easy pace (did speed work the day before, had a long run planned the next day). It pushes you to do more than you want. I can't stand hearing their feet slapping behind me the whole time, and just pisses me off.
      During training I'd say such unplanned pacing is asshattery. In a race it is just racing and no big deal. I'm the jackass who talks to people as I pass them which is probably pretty rude but hey I enjoy it.

Vehicles
      2013 Nissin/Frigidare
      07-02-2012 07:00 PM #2983
      Almost 2 months without a cigarette, I decided to plan out a 13.1 mile road course..... I was figuring I could do it in 1 hour 50 minutes.

I did it in 1 hour 40 minutes! Now I have new goals for 2012:

5:30 mile -> If I break this,.... my goal will be to beat my high school record of 5:17
      19:00 5k
      42:00 10k
      1:30:00 half marathon

9. Member
      Vehicles
      2006 A4 Avant
      07-05-2012 12:01 PM #2984
      Has anyone experienced tendocalcaneal bursitis? while I initially thought I had a problem with my achilles tendon, reading up some more I think it may actually be tendocalcaneal bursitis. The pain is mostly located both sides at the back of my feet, when I put on some shoes to wear around the house yesterday, the pressure from the back of the shoe kind of felt like a sting (almost like a blister) on my heel.

Should I be treating in much the same way as any other muscle problem? At the moment I have been icing when I can, and taking pain killers. What's odd is that at first it seemed to stiffen up over night, but now when I get up in the morning I am pain free, only when I start walking around does the pain return. The problem is it's hard for me to keep it rested and not walk around, my job involves a fair bit of walking, and while I am trying to minimize it, I can't stop it entirely.

Just looking for any other treatment tips really I guess, I am going crazy not being able to run, ride my bike etc.

Thanks.
      Twitter/Instagram: idfront
      Xbox Live: DaDa5069

Vehicles
      2013 Nissin/Frigidare
      07-05-2012 02:01 PM #2985
      I did the local 10k yesterday, go 4th of july! Anyways after mile 2-2.5, my knee began bothering me. I dealt with it for the whole race. I think my time was 44:05-ish.

Now that I can localize the pain, its almost on top of the knee cap/interior side. Im worried its tendon or ligement, or something terminal.

Long story short: I have been a little tough on my running lately. I did 16 miles total on saturday, 5-ish on monday, then my 10k on wednesday, which is a bit more than normal.

The good news is, I can stand on one foot and do not feel any pressure or pain in my knee. Its just when I go from one knee position to another. The more moving around I do I feel less pain. My knee compression/brace thingy doesnt seem to help, just make it worse. I can see inflammation on/around my patella. Tendonitis?

Can I do heat/ice?
      Last edited by 4-Dr-W-a-T; 07-05-2012 at 02:51 PM.

Vehicles
      07-05-2012 02:58 PM #2986
      Quote Originally Posted by naiku View Post
      Has anyone experienced tendocalcaneal bursitis? while I initially thought I had a problem with my achilles tendon, reading up some more I think it may actually be tendocalcaneal bursitis. The pain is mostly located both sides at the back of my feet, when I put on some shoes to wear around the house yesterday, the pressure from the back of the shoe kind of felt like a sting (almost like a blister) on my heel.

Should I be treating in much the same way as any other muscle problem? At the moment I have been icing when I can, and taking pain killers. What's odd is that at first it seemed to stiffen up over night, but now when I get up in the morning I am pain free, only when I start walking around does the pain return. The problem is it's hard for me to keep it rested and not walk around, my job involves a fair bit of walking, and while I am trying to minimize it, I can't stop it entirely.

Just looking for any other treatment tips really I guess, I am going crazy not being able to run, ride my bike etc.

Thanks.
      My advice, see a doctor. Preferably an ortho. I can tell you from experience, it's easy to guess what it is, and search online, but you really won't know for sure till you see a doctor. It would just suck to attempt your own treatment for the wrong injury. It's frustrating taking time off, but even more frustrating self diagnosing incorrectly, and finding out you could have been back to running faster had you received the proper diagnosis / treatment.

12. Member
      Vehicles
      2006 mk5 GTI
      07-05-2012 04:21 PM #2987
      My advice, see a doctor. Preferably an ortho. I can tell you from experience, it's easy to guess what it is, and search online, but you really won't know for sure till you see a doctor. It would just suck to attempt your own treatment for the wrong injury. It's frustrating taking time off, but even more frustrating self diagnosing incorrectly, and finding out you could have been back to running faster had you received the proper diagnosis / treatment.
      See an ortho or sports medicine doc. Don't waste time with a gp. I'm 5 weeks post op for two labral tears and fais. I'd gone to the doc several times over the last 5 years and to PT before finally getting the correct diagnosis. It is amazing to live w/o pain.

Vehicles
      07-22-2012 06:19 PM #2988
      Training starts this week for Philly, even though I'm on vacation.

Even ran in a 5 mile race this morning (first morning at the beach) and averaged 7:45 miles. Gonna try and fit a 10 mile run and a 12 mile run in while I'm down here.

Vehicles
      German/American/French
      07-25-2012 02:33 AM #2989
      Ran 10.7km today. Managed that in 57 minutes. Personal record for me.
      The gloves are off, the wisdom teeth are out
      What you on about ?

15. Member
      Vehicles
      2006 mk5 GTI
      07-25-2012 02:59 AM #2990
      Nice PR. Skipped for 30 seconds, six repeats. I'll be running lightly pretty soon per my PT.

Vehicles
      20th AE 3366
      07-29-2012 04:43 PM #2991
      So when I started getting back into running (it's been a on and off thing) awhile ago I started forefoot running. I used to be able to only stand it for about ~1 mile and have to go back to heel striking for the rest of the run. Now I'm at 3+ miles and the balls of my forefeet start feeling like I'm going to get a blister.

So am I possibly doing this wrong? I think my shoes might be a little wide around my toes and balls of my feet.

3.5 miles from me today.

17. Member
      Vehicles
      2006 mk5 GTI
      07-30-2012 01:24 AM #2992
      Don't know what to tell you. Midfoot striking just sort of happened for me without much thought or effort. When I last was racing I'd sometimes briefly heel strike whenslowing after sprinting but not much. I've been watching race finishes lately while waiting for my wife; there are tons of runners with crazy odd form running into their 60s and pretty fast too. We have a local guy who hunkers down and strikes about a foot in front of his torso. It looks crazy but he runs ultras and is a solid 8 minute miler at shorter distances.

Skipping is turning out to be a pretty good workout. Much harder than running and it highlights my poor cardiovascular condition.

18. Member
      Vehicles
      Pale yellow Christmas Packard.
      07-30-2012 11:06 AM #2993
      Quote Originally Posted by DowNnOuTDubin View Post
      So when I started getting back into running (it's been a on and off thing) awhile ago I started forefoot running. I used to be able to only stand it for about ~1 mile and have to go back to heel striking for the rest of the run. Now I'm at 3+ miles and the balls of my forefeet start feeling like I'm going to get a blister.

So am I possibly doing this wrong? I think my shoes might be a little wide around my toes and balls of my feet.

3.5 miles from me today.
      Have you tried walking barefoot or even sprinting barefoot in the grass? It should give you a good idea of how it is supposed to "feel".
      Man...sacrifices his health in order to make money. Then he sacrifices money to recuperate his health. And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived. - Tenzin Gyatso

19. 07-31-2012 09:32 PM #2994
      Quote Originally Posted by DowNnOuTDubin View Post

Most minimalist shoes are wider in the toes/forefoot because it allows your toes to expand. I just think your feet aren't that accustomed to it yet. A good way to help eliminate heel striking is jumping rope. Sounds silly, but try running while jumping rope and you'll see that it's almost impossible to heel strike.

20. 07-31-2012 09:35 PM #2995
      By the way, I was on vacation on the west coast last week and I stayed with my best friend in San Diego. When I got there on Monday, he mentioned an open track race on Wednesday. I figured I'd give it a shot even though the week before was my highest running mileage week of my career. I looked for spikes to buy for the meet but I came up empty handed so a pair of racing flats that i just happened to pack did the job.
      I ended up winning the 3k race in 9:16. Very pleased, especially since I had run 5 miles in the morning.

21. Member
      Vehicles
      2006 mk5 GTI
      07-31-2012 10:41 PM #2996
      Quote Originally Posted by 602crew View Post
      By the way, I was on vacation on the west coast last week and I stayed with my best friend in San Diego. When I got there on Monday, he mentioned an open track race on Wednesday. I figured I'd give it a shot even though the week before was my highest running mileage week of my career. I looked for spikes to buy for the meet but I came up empty handed so a pair of racing flats that i just happened to pack did the job.
      I ended up winning the 3k race in 9:16. Very pleased, especially since I had run 5 miles in the morning.
      Well done. Hope you enjoyed the San Diego weather.

Vehicles
      20th AE 3366
      08-08-2012 06:27 PM #2997
      Quote Originally Posted by 602crew View Post
      Most minimalist shoes are wider in the toes/forefoot because it allows your toes to expand. I just think your feet aren't that accustomed to it yet. A good way to help eliminate heel striking is jumping rope. Sounds silly, but try running while jumping rope and you'll see that it's almost impossible to heel strike.
      Well the thing is I have like over 200 miles on these shoes already. It's not hard for me to not strike heel either. I might just need something to suite me better now. I might get a jump rope just because it's such a damn good workout.

Quote Originally Posted by Anal View Post
      Well guys!!!I read out all the posts thoroughly about the running.Running is so good work for
      fitness of the body and health.Running reduce the body fat and extra weight in the body.....
      According to me running protect us from the different diseases.But i want to get your reviews
      about the running....Please sharing your opinions with me....

I see nothing wrong here. I've seen doctors say exercise will cut down the possibility of possible diseases more than any drug out there. Also it increases your serotonin levels so you'll also be happier and feel better.

23. Member
      Vehicles
      jeep liberty
      08-08-2012 09:59 PM #2998
      I think I am going to try and run a half in October.
      Today I ran a little over 5 miles, which is the longest I have ever ran, and I felt like I could have went for quite aa bit more.

Vehicles
      08-10-2012 12:07 AM #2999
      Quote Originally Posted by jollyrodgers View Post
      I think I am going to try and run a half in October.
      Today I ran a little over 5 miles, which is the longest I have ever ran, and I felt like I could have went for quite aa bit more.
      Good luck! You can do it!

08-10-2012 10:36 AM #3000
      I ran my first race last weekend. It was a 5k and I ran it in 20:22:89. I wanted to do it in 21 or less so I'm happy. It was an interesting experience. I got sucked into running a bit faster at the start so a few people passed me at the end but other than that I ran it how I wanted to. I started out running with one guy and we were doing about 6:45 miles and then he kicked it up and for some reason I decided to stay with him. After about a ½ mile I had to slow down and I think it affected the rest of my splits. I want to say this was his plan because he slowed down shortly after. I guess that’s way it’s a race. Either way it was fun and I need to do it more often.

Vehicles
      German/American/French
      08-13-2012 08:00 AM #3001
      Run my first 15km in a crowd of 80,000 people. Gained 216m and done all that in 75 minutes.

I wasted more time dodgy people hence not being able to pace myself properly. Next year, I am definitely going to try running with a faster group and aim to do this distance in under 70m. I need to qualify in at least two races before then though.

Never in my life I thought I'd be thinking about running under a certain time, let alone qualifying.
      The gloves are off, the wisdom teeth are out
      What you on about ?

08-22-2012 10:43 AM #3002
      Over the past 2 months I've really picked up my running and have a few questions for you runners. I moved from Nike Relentless 2's that made my left ankle and knee sore (not to mention I destroyed them in a mud run) to a pair of Asics Gel Blur 33's.

Over the last weekend I ran a 5 mile 30 obstacle .5 mile swim mud run and had a little knee pain on the last .25 mile. My issue is I took a few days off to rest the knee and find some new shoes. Then last night I got back on the track with my new shoes and ran only 2.75 miles and experienced knee pain on the last lap. My knee is still pretty sore today, is there anything I should do to prevent my knee issue? Could it be from changing my shoes?

Last question... My best single mile time is 8 minutes 3 seconds, best 3 mile time is 9:10 a mile. Any pointers to pick up my pace?

Vehicles
      2013 Nissin/Frigidare
      08-22-2012 11:03 AM #3003
      Quote Originally Posted by 2.0smurf View Post
      Over the past 2 months I've really picked up my running and have a few questions for you runners. I moved from Nike Relentless 2's that made my left ankle and knee sore (not to mention I destroyed them in a mud run) to a pair of Asics Gel Blur 33's.

Over the last weekend I ran a 5 mile 30 obstacle .5 mile swim mud run and had a little knee pain on the last .25 mile. My issue is I took a few days off to rest the knee and find some new shoes. Then last night I got back on the track with my new shoes and ran only 2.75 miles and experienced knee pain on the last lap. My knee is still pretty sore today, is there anything I should do to prevent my knee issue? Could it be from changing my shoes?

Last question... My best single mile time is 8 minutes 3 seconds, best 3 mile time is 9:10 a mile. Any pointers to pick up my pace?
      Where on the knee is the pain? Are you stretching enough? Do you do any cross training?

Pick up your pace? Run different courses. Do a normal run one day. Another day run hills, another day do speed work. Cross train on non running days.

Try a schedule like so:

Monday: Swim or Rest
      Tuesday: Running (Distance)
      Wednesday: Swimming
      Thursday: Run Hills
      Friday: Rest or light swim
      Saturday: Run (Distance)
      Sunday: Core/Abs/Lifting

08-22-2012 11:32 AM #3004
      My knee pain is on my left knee left side of the knee (outer knee area). I try to stretch as much as possible and I'm at the gym 4-6 days a week doing everything from circuit classes to chest and leg work outs. I'm not able to really swim but I do ride my bike at least twice a week at 15-20 miles a ride. It seems like I have "runners knee" from what I've been reading.

Also to add: My new shoes are better designed for my flat feet compared to my last. So I'm wondering that change might also cause some issues with my legs getting used to the change.
      Last edited by 2.0smurf; 08-22-2012 at 11:42 AM.

30. 08-22-2012 12:34 PM #3005
      sounds like IT band. all the stretching/rolling/icing/massaging in the world didn't make a difference until i found this stretch.

31. 08-23-2012 06:15 AM #3006
      I do like endurance activities, but I am having a hard time committing myself to training for them, because I also want to lift to gain muscle. Anyone know how much I could endurance train and still gain muscle?

08-23-2012 09:22 AM #3007
      Quote Originally Posted by robhurlburt View Post
      sounds like IT band. all the stretching/rolling/icing/massaging in the world didn't make a difference until i found this stretch.

Love the stretch! Went to the gym and spoke to some of the trainers they gave me a nice knee stability work-out to help the knee. I must not have hurt it too bad since it's not as painful tonight. Tomorrow I will do some more knee stabilization and stretching.

Vehicles
      2013 Nissin/Frigidare
      08-23-2012 11:11 AM #3008
      Quote Originally Posted by 2.0smurf View Post
      My knee pain is on my left knee left side of the knee (outer knee area). I try to stretch as much as possible and I'm at the gym 4-6 days a week doing everything from circuit classes to chest and leg work outs. I'm not able to really swim but I do ride my bike at least twice a week at 15-20 miles a ride. It seems like I have "runners knee" from what I've been reading.

Also to add: My new shoes are better designed for my flat feet compared to my last. So I'm wondering that change might also cause some issues with my legs getting used to the change.
      ????? Not able to swim? That would be the least impact out of all of them,.... and the least stress on your knee....

08-23-2012 11:22 AM #3009
      I mean that I don't have a pool and the gym I go to doesn't either which is why I can't always swim.

Vehicles
      2013 Nissin/Frigidare
      08-23-2012 01:22 PM #3010
      Looking for a 2nd training shoe.... to save my Noosa's for races and occaisional runs.

Debating between the Asics GT-2170 and the Adidas Supernova Sequence 5

Anybody using these? Any info would be helpful, thanks in advance!

Page 86 of 104 FirstFirst ... 367682838485868788899096 ... LastLast