Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 87 of 104 FirstFirst ... 377783848586878889909197 ... LastLast
    Results 3,011 to 3,045 of 3616

Thread: The 'official' running thread.

1. 08-25-2012 06:33 AM #3011
      hmmmmmm..It seems to kick in at around 4-5 miles during my slower, longer runs and I start feeling like I could run forever. My respirations actually slow down almost to the point where I'm breathing like I were sitting at a desk. If I'm running with a partner, I start getting chatty. It's strange.
      tomhank

2. 08-29-2012 11:02 PM #3012
      Thanks to one of the kids on the cross country team I coach, I was able to be a guinea pig and get my VO2 max done as a demonstration for the team. Her dad is a PT professor at the local university so we got to go into his lab and do the test. I will say, this was one of the most grueling tests I have ever done. I may not look like I was dying, but i was. This was the last 2+ minutes.
      This was also after a 9 mile run on the street, followed by 20 minutes on the treadmill. (5 minutes in 4 different zones starting at 6:43 and ending at 6:49 and ending with ~10k pace at 5:24)

http://youtu.be/aFIUDRTw7Bw

Vehicles
      2007 Audi A3, 2000 New Beetle 1.8t
      08-29-2012 11:19 PM #3013
      UPMC is doing a study on the effect of exercise on cognition as you get older, so we're looking for people to do the V02 tests on, who are over 40. I didn't make it to the last segment, my heart rate was too high. The PA doing the test said no one had made it to the last part, so that's awesome that you did. Ours also wasn't the V02 max, as I guess that requires a crash cart. The worst is the mask. Even though you could breath ok, just felt like you were laboring.
      Cyber Green. It's not a color. It's a way of life.

'00 GLX Cyber Green / Cream, 5sp.

'12 Mini Countryman S All4 6sp.

Vehicles
      08-29-2012 11:24 PM #3014
      Hmm, watching your video, they did your test differently. For ours, they increased both the pace and the incline for each interval. The speed wasn't bad at all, but the incline got insane.

5. 08-30-2012 10:59 AM #3015
      The incline was increasing. It was all controlled by the computer. If you listen/watch closely, you can hear them count down and then you can see the treadmill go up.
      I think my pace was a bit quick for the test. I lasted 7 total minutes with the incline ending on 6.

Results-
      VO2 Max: 73.6
      Max Heart Rate: 199

Vehicles
      08-30-2012 11:45 AM #3016
      Nice results! They didn't give us that much feedback. I just know my sub V02 max was in the 80th percentile.

I am a bit curious why there are differences in the tests they give. I did see the incline increasing on yours, but ours was definitely different. They kept our pace much slower, but compensated with a very steep incline. I actually walked for the first two segments before it got to a speed where I needed to job / run. By the end, the incline was ridiculous. And this is coming from someone who lives in Pittsburgh where we are no strangers to hills.

Vehicles
      List your car(s) owned here
      09-06-2012 08:35 PM #3017
      Traded in these...

For these...

And have lost 5-6 lbs in a month with no knee pain. Will maybe pickup running but for now I'm done. Will probably still do a Thanksgiving Day road race, will be interesting to see how I do vs last year when I was running regularly.
      I'm just a regular Joe, with a regular job. I'm your average white, suburbanite slob.

You could not pay me enough to own another Ford or another hybrid ever again. http://badges.fuelly.com/images/sig-us/203834.png

8. Senior Member FlashRedGLS1.8T's Avatar
      09-07-2012 08:23 AM #3018
      Quote Originally Posted by jnm2.0t View Post
      Will maybe pickup running but for now I'm done. Will probably still do a Thanksgiving Day road race, will be interesting to see how I do vs last year when I was running regularly.
      I do both.

Vehicles
      a van
      09-07-2012 09:01 AM #3019
      my glycerin 8's are starting to wear thin after about 1.5 years of use. need to pick up some replacements this fall ... any reco's for something suited more for road running? i don't get out to trails as much as i should ...
      twitter x PSN:zerosaint x MUFC x FS: 18" 4x100 TRD Wheels
      Quote Originally Posted by MrSavvy View Post
      I'll break it down for you simple minded people. VWvortex. The VW stands for Volkswagen. And when you create a forum, admins can create sections within the forum. This forum has a section for general car chit-chat. The car lounge. So you see, even though it's a VW forum, you can still discuss other topics.

Vehicles
      09-07-2012 10:25 AM #3020
      Quote Originally Posted by FlashRedGLS1.8T View Post
      I do both.
      Ive had 2 knee surgeries on my meniscus, it was only time before it started acting up again from running and it was. No such issues with biking at all, even on 2 hour rides. Also I suck at running, but biking is something I seem to be able to do fairly well at. Plus I just love the distances you can cover on a bike.
      I'm just a regular Joe, with a regular job. I'm your average white, suburbanite slob.

You could not pay me enough to own another Ford or another hybrid ever again. http://badges.fuelly.com/images/sig-us/203834.png

11. Senior Member FlashRedGLS1.8T's Avatar
      09-07-2012 11:32 AM #3021
      Quote Originally Posted by jnm2.0t View Post
      Ive had 2 knee surgeries on my meniscus, it was only time before it started acting up again from running and it was.
      Well yeah, that's an issue.

No such issues with biking at all, even on 2 hour rides. Also I suck at running, but biking is something I seem to be able to do fairly well at. Plus I just love the distances you can cover on a bike.

You could always do some swimming if you wanted some variety in your non-impact fitness.
      Of course finding and using a pool can be a pita.

Vehicles
      09-07-2012 12:05 PM #3022
      yeah i used to swim but its just too much of a pita. i also love setting out and crossing through many different towns and types of terrains on a bike,keeps it interesting.

Vehicles
      09-07-2012 06:11 PM #3023
      Quote Originally Posted by evosky View Post
      my glycerin 8's are starting to wear thin after about 1.5 years of use. need to pick up some replacements this fall ... any reco's for something suited more for road running? i don't get out to trails as much as i should ...
      Most of the shoes you're going to see, are for road running. Much more out there for road, than for trail. Still, I always recommend stopping at a good running store, and let them fit you for shoes. Good to take your current shoes, so they can see how they wear, check your stride, etc. they'll set you up.

Vehicles
      a van
      09-08-2012 11:38 AM #3024
      Quote Originally Posted by pdoel View Post
      Most of the shoes you're going to see, are for road running. Much more out there for road, than for trail. Still, I always recommend stopping at a good running store, and let them fit you for shoes. Good to take your current shoes, so they can see how they wear, check your stride, etc. they'll set you up.
      yeah that's actually what i usually do. grew up running cross country just was wondering if anyone had any specific models they liked
      I'll break it down for you simple minded people. VWvortex. The VW stands for Volkswagen. And when you create a forum, admins can create sections within the forum. This forum has a section for general car chit-chat. The car lounge. So you see, even though it's a VW forum, you can still discuss other topics.

15. 09-09-2012 07:32 PM #3025
      I ran my fall "A" race last Sunday in VA Beach - the Rock & Roll 1/2 marathon.
      I had a goal of 1:15 but I bonked. hard. 74 degrees and 90% humidity at 6:30...just 30 minutes before the start f the race. I came through in 1:19:46. It probably didn't help that I was in "no man's land" from the 10k point on. Guy in front of me at the point was 50 seconds up. I raced the next 7 miles solo.
      Everyone seemed to have a rough day. Still managed to place 3rd in my AG and 31st overall out of almost 11,000. Attempting another one in a month to try and redeem myself.

16. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2011 Black 2DR GTI
      09-09-2012 08:49 PM #3026
      Joining you guys today. Tomorrow I'm gonna be starting a C25K program tomorrow, and I'm super pumped. I have a pair of Nike Livestrong Free Air 5.0's and I'm ready for this.

09-12-2012 10:58 AM #3027
      Quote Originally Posted by 602crew View Post
      Attempting another one in a month to try and redeem myself.
      Hope your next race goes better.

I had a similarly off day a few weeks ago. First 6 were great, last 7.1 was totally off. Now I'm shooting to go sub 1:15 at Rock 'n' Roll San Jose (10/7). When I was in peak form back in May, that felt possible on the right course, but I never got the chance. Then I injured my hip. I'm over that now and back to training.

Also, yesterday I got notified yesterday by BAA that I'm now confirmed for Boston 2013.

Vehicles
      09-16-2012 03:55 PM #3028
      Two months till the Philly full! Will hit the first 20 in three weeks. Started running with some faster folks for tempo runs, as well as the long runs. Finally getting out of my mindset of just taking it easy, and running alone. Somehow ended up doing 4 out of 5 of my runs this week as tempo runs, even the long run.

While not where I once was, I'm finally seeing some good improvement on time, since I started doing races again (about 4 years ago). Did our 16 mile long run this week at an 8:38 average, and felt like I could have gone several miles longer at the same pace. 18 miler coming up this weekend, then a break, then back to back 20s.

Vehicles
      a van
      09-16-2012 04:16 PM #3029
      did a nice 6.5mi early this morning on the W&OD trail in northern VA. loving the cooler weather

Vehicles
      2013 Nissin/Frigidare
      09-17-2012 01:28 PM #3030
      Did my longest run since my 4th of july 10k injury

I was able to run 8.5 miles in 1 hour, 5 minutes

21. Member
      Vehicles
      2006 mk5 GTI
      09-18-2012 01:43 AM #3031
      Two months till the Philly full! Will hit the first 20 in three weeks. Started running with some faster folks for tempo runs, as well as the long runs. Finally getting out of my mindset of just taking it easy, and running alone. Somehow ended up doing 4 out of 5 of my runs this week as tempo runs, even the long run.

While not where I once was, I'm finally seeing some good improvement on time, since I started doing races again (about 4 years ago). Did our 16 mile long run this week at an 8:38 average, and felt like I could have gone several miles longer at the same pace. 18 miler coming up this weekend, then a break, then back to back 20s.
      What's your target this time around? What do you mean that they were all tempo runs? Were you at a set pace or a set percentage of max heart rate? The tempo run workout is one that has eluded me personally. As has the marathon, so don't take this the wrong way. It sounds like this one may be a good one.

22. Member
      09-18-2012 10:14 AM #3032
      I know this doesn't really belong here, but I recently added 30 min of hill sprints (HIIT- 2 sprints up and down about 75 yards, 20 sec rest.). Going to add the weight vest this week starting at 25lbs.

Vehicles
      09-18-2012 03:13 PM #3033
      Quote Originally Posted by garageless View Post
      What's your target this time around? What do you mean that they were all tempo runs? Were you at a set pace or a set percentage of max heart rate? The tempo run workout is one that has eluded me personally. As has the marathon, so don't take this the wrong way. It sounds like this one may be a good one.
      I'm just shooting for under 4 hours. While my other race distance PRs are pretty decent, I struggle with the marathon, so I just want to break 4 hours, and then work from there.

For tempo runs, I go off time, rather than heart rate. Also really trying to work on negative splits. I tend to go out fast, then die at the end.

For years, I just went through the motions, didn't really care about time when I was running, then would bust it out for races. So most of my runs, regardless of distance, my average splits are in the 9 minute range.

So my runs last week broke down as follows:

Sunday: 5 miles at 8:30 pace.
      Tuesday: 7 miles at 8:16 pace.
      Thursday: 8 miles at 8:20 pace.
      Friday: 5 miles at 9:15 pace (took it easy)
      Saturday: 16 miles at 8:38 pace.

Vehicles
      Boring Automatics
      09-26-2012 02:20 AM #3034
      Sunday: 5 miles at 8:30 pace.
      Tuesday: 7 miles at 8:16 pace.
      Thursday: 8 miles at 8:20 pace.
      Friday: 5 miles at 9:15 pace (took it easy)
      Saturday: 16 miles at 8:38 pace.
      I'm about the same pace as you right now, I'm only running 3 days a week though. I have a half coming up in 4 weeks. What does your daily diet consist of? I've been on a low carb diet for quite sometime now. Over the last 4 weeks, my times have dropped considerably.

4 weeks ago, I ran 6 miles @ 8mins, last week was 7 miles @ 8:44. I made a slight improvement this past weekend, 8 @ 8:34, which is my overall goal for the half. I'm really dragging ass, I'm certain it has to be my diet. I did carb up Fri night and Saturday for my Sunday run, can't say if that was the improvement though. I'll see how it goes this weekend, I've been eating a healthy amount of carbs everyday in anticipation for this weekends 10 miles. I'm going to run 5 un-timed tomorrow to see how I feel.

25. Member
      Vehicles
      2006 mk5 GTI
      09-28-2012 03:04 PM #3035
      Quote Originally Posted by Dal97GLX View Post
      I'm about the same pace as you right now, I'm only running 3 days a week though. I have a half coming up in 4 weeks. What does your daily diet consist of? I've been on a low carb diet for quite sometime now. Over the last 4 weeks, my times have dropped considerably.

4 weeks ago, I ran 6 miles @ 8mins, last week was 7 miles @ 8:44. I made a slight improvement this past weekend, 8 @ 8:34, which is my overall goal for the half. I'm really dragging ass, I'm certain it has to be my diet. I did carb up Fri night and Saturday for my Sunday run, can't say if that was the improvement though. I'll see how it goes this weekend, I've been eating a healthy amount of carbs everyday in anticipation for this weekends 10 miles. I'm going to run 5 un-timed tomorrow to see how I feel.
      As a general rule the majority of your training mileage should be run slower than your target race pace. I can't really comment on diet other than low carb diets don't seem like a great match for sustained cardio training but I'm sure that opinion is not universal.

26. 09-29-2012 01:16 AM #3036
      I'm just starting to train for a 5k at the beginning of June. I ran the same one in about 25min last year when I was not in very good shape. I'm trying to break 20min this year (hence the actual training rather than just the usual "playing basketball keeps me in good enough running shape"

Vehicles
      10-07-2012 01:32 PM #3037
      Had a spill 6 miles into my long run this morning. My right foot went through a circular shipping strap, then my left foot stepped on the strap. I couldn't do that again if I tried. I washed it out in a McDonalds and carried through to 20.5 miles. 6 weeks till Philly!!!

28. 10-08-2012 09:55 AM #3038
      pdoel - Sounds like a 1 in a million shot too bad its not on video hahaha

I did a half yesterday pb of 1:42:38 I was a pretty flat course but i was happy with it.

I am posting because for the past few months i have been battling pf. I got a cortizone shot which i did not think did anything. What have you guys done that was successful?

Vehicles
      2013 Nissin/Frigidare
      10-08-2012 11:18 AM #3039
      Had a spill 6 miles into my long run this morning. My right foot went through a circular shipping strap, then my left foot stepped on the strap. I couldn't do that again if I tried. I washed it out in a McDonalds and carried through to 20.5 miles. 6 weeks till Philly!!!

Newton Gravity,... nice shoes!

Vehicles
      10-08-2012 12:56 PM #3040
      Quote Originally Posted by 4-Dr-W-a-T View Post
      Newton Gravity,... nice shoes!
      Thanks! Love them!

31. Member
      Vehicles
      2006 mk5 GTI
      10-08-2012 10:27 PM #3041
      Pdoel, way to keep going after a spill. My wife biffed it hard in a race a few years ago. Arse over tea-kettle in a running skirt with a witness. They both can still laugh about it and she popped right back up as if nothing had happened.

Vehicles
      2013 Nissin/Frigidare
      10-09-2012 11:17 AM #3042
      Thanks! Love them!
      A local store did a Newton fun run. I currently run the Noosa Tri 7 as my trainer, so it was a huge difference. I definately felt "faster". They feel weird at first, but after 2-3 miles, my legs were more welcoming to them.

I don;t feel they would be beneficial to me until i'm a faster runner. My form is still a bit off.
      Last edited by 4-Dr-W-a-T; 10-09-2012 at 04:08 PM.

Vehicles
      a van
      10-09-2012 12:21 PM #3043
      ohhh looking into these Newton shoes now ... they look spiffy

34. 10-11-2012 12:23 PM #3044
      Quote Originally Posted by evosky View Post
      ohhh looking into these Newton shoes now ... they look spiffy
      Looks aren't everything. Be careful with those...

35. Member
      Vehicles
      '14 Fiat 500e, '14 Honda Pilot, '11 Mitsubishi Lancer Sportback, '09 Suzuki Gladius
      10-11-2012 01:24 PM #3045
      Haven't posted here in a while.

Make the transition to the Newton's very slowly. Depending on your current shoes, you may need a "bridge" shoe to split the difference the heel/toe drop from your current shoes to the Newtons or any other minimalist/ low heel/toe drop shoe.

As I naturally run with a forefoot strike (which is what these shoes are supposed to teach you to do or improve your technique such that you do run with a forefoot strike) I found that the raised bars under the forefoot to be a bit unstable on landing.

Page 87 of 104 FirstFirst ... 377783848586878889909197 ... LastLast