VWVortex

Page 3 of 146 FirstFirst 12345671353103 ... LastLast

Thread: The 'official' running thread.

Vehicles
      List your car(s) owned here
      04-26-2008 04:13 PM #51
      Quote, originally posted by FBMphil »
      HOW?!

pacing? was your 1 mile being winded and 2 miles being dead at a faster speed?
      I'm just a regular Joe, with a regular job. I'm your average white, suburbanite slob.

Quote Originally Posted by Rabbit5GTI
      You have cornered the entire 'I hate Ford Fusions' market around here
      Quote Originally Posted by Turbio!
      Pure electric vehicles will never fully replace fueled (pure ICE or PHEV) vehicles.

Vehicles
      2013 Toyota Corolla, 2010 Toyota Corolla.
      04-26-2008 05:41 PM #52
      Quote, originally posted by jnm1point8t »
      id be quite happy with that time

x2. That's damn good. I don't get any pain but I just run out of breath and have to slow down. It sucks. A small dog could eat me at this point if I'm not careful!
      "I don’t want the company to be driven by numbers. I want it to be driven by making better cars and contributing to society. That will turn into profit, which we can use to develop better cars. That should be the cycle, and that will, as a result, build a company with a strong foundation."
      -Akio Toyoda

Vehicles
      Forester XT, MK5 Rabbit
      04-26-2008 08:47 PM #53
      id be quite happy with that time

I mean for my lack of training the last couple weeks thats probably not bad, but my last time was almost at the 20 minute barrier.

Vehicles
      2013 Toyota Corolla, 2010 Toyota Corolla.
      04-27-2008 06:31 PM #54
      Alright.. went out for a little, what you guys would call, a warmup run - but my lungs just hate life. I get winded so quick, but that is something that takes time. I am going on a search for the "undergarment" stuff that has been mentioned as that is starting to be a PITA. I noticed this little jog that my ankles were a bit "rusty", they needed a bit of time to get into the game - I think I need to spend more time warming up and stretching.
      Also - who else tries to stick to a certain place and ends up wandering? I can't seem to avoid grass and forests. Or small trails. I just end up all over the place (lol)
      "I don’t want the company to be driven by numbers. I want it to be driven by making better cars and contributing to society. That will turn into profit, which we can use to develop better cars. That should be the cycle, and that will, as a result, build a company with a strong foundation."
      -Akio Toyoda

Vehicles
      04-27-2008 07:47 PM #55
      i stick to a certain route. i went on my first easy paced jog today, i have to say, i LOVED it. id always run at a tempo pace, but cutting the speed back and adding to the mileage was very enjoyable. even with the long and sometimes steep hills.
      the hardest thing i find is slowing down. my VDOT says to run about a 9:45 mile. my first mile was 9:15 so i decided to slow it down... but my next mile was 9:00. i finally got it at 9:45 for the 3rd mile which was almost all uphill. guess its just a pace i will have to learn. im actually looking forward to when it has me going out for 6 miles.
      I'm just a regular Joe, with a regular job. I'm your average white, suburbanite slob.

Pure electric vehicles will never fully replace fueled (pure ICE or PHEV) vehicles.

Vehicles
      Focus hatch
      04-27-2008 09:00 PM #56
      pacing? was your 1 mile being winded and 2 miles being dead at a faster speed?

Is a sub-25 minute 5k a decent pace? Because that's what I just did this evening.

Vehicles
      Forester XT, MK5 Rabbit
      04-28-2008 12:32 AM #57
      Is a sub-25 minute 5k a decent pace? Because that's what I just did this evening.

What kind of running have you done? Give us some more information about yourself. That is a pretty good time for a novice runner.

Vehicles
      04-28-2008 10:10 AM #58

ya, as island said, 25min for a new runner is pretty good.
      do you have a goal time in mind, or just running for fun/health?

Vehicles
      95 GTi VR6 (Sold), 88 RX-7 (Sold), 1996 GTi VR6 (Sold), Rocking a 2013 Jetta Sportwagen TDI w/DSG
      04-28-2008 10:49 AM #59
      My legs are still aching. I'm debating running today. And also debating if I do run if I should go on a treadmill since it's pouring out.
      THERE CAN BE ONLY ONE!

10. Member
      Vehicles
      2k1 1.8t gti, 2k10 CR-V
      04-28-2008 10:53 AM #60
      Sometimes the stars align and things just flow... The trick is to make those times happen during a race and not just in training; it can be a hard trick to master. Maybe this has something to do with the runner's high stuff too; every once in a while I feel funny/good in long runs where I just sorta look around at interesting trees...
      I sometimes notice on my long slow distance type runs that if I start out slower than my planned HR (I tend to wear the hr monitor during the slow runs to keep me honest and gauge how my training is going) that after a while I just start cruising at that rate even as my speed increases later on. A hr monitor is a great tool for watching your pace, more than a gps tool or watching pace/lap on a track because your heart adjusts for the external and internal conditions going on. Some days it'll just be high on a run and it's letting you know you're overtraining, coming down with a cold or whatever.

Vehicles
      04-28-2008 11:03 AM #61
      so question for you... i did 4 slow miles on sunday (sadly, it's my longest run ever, but that will quickly change) and i coulve kept going very easily. mile 3 of my route took me to the intersection or Lowell Ave and Comm Ave, where i turned up Comm towards BC. soon after you get to the Johnny Kelley statue and start up the last long hill before heartbreak hill by BC...
      anyways, mile 1 was fine, legs catching up trying to get the breathing in sync. mile 2 legs started wondering if 4 miles was a wise idea early on a Sunday. anyways, i start mile 3 up the hill and it was like the hill didnt even exist. i just churned up it as if it were flat. by the top i started mile 4 which breezed by (started looking around like you said) and at the end of mile 4 i was actually sad.
      so my questions are... do you find it usually takes a mile or 3 to get into the zone? and how long can you generally stay in that zone before it wears off and you start to really fatigue?

Vehicles
      Focus hatch
      04-28-2008 11:14 AM #62
      ya, as island said, 25min for a new runner is pretty good.
      do you have a goal time in mind, or just running for fun/health?

I'm just trying to build up a decent cardio base and get into decent shape before I start hitting the weights/sprinting/mountain biking this summer.

Vehicles
      Forester XT, MK5 Rabbit
      04-28-2008 11:31 AM #63
      You are on the right track that is for sure. Keep it up.

14. 04-28-2008 12:01 PM #64
      so my questions are... do you find it usually takes a mile or 3 to get into the zone? and how long can you generally stay in that zone before it wears off and you start to really fatigue?

It takes me at least 2 miles to get comfortable. The first 2 miles for me suck compared to the rest of the run.
      I guess I should do the intro deal . . . .
      Beginner runner, started this winter via treadmill. Feels so good to hit the trails in the warm weather. I'm logging 15-20 miles a week. First ever 5k last month and ran 24:29, if I didn't start mid-pack It would have been ~23.
      My goals are a sub 20 min 5k and half marathon this year and then an all out marathon next year.
      Most important thing I've learned so far is to listen to my body. It's been so much more beneficial rearrange my training to fit the way I'm feeling. And don't mistake that, there is a big difference in not feeling like running than feeling like you probably shouldn't run.
      Anyway I feel like I'm getting in the best shape of my life and loving it [IMG]http://**********************/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG]

Vehicles
      Focus hatch
      04-28-2008 12:05 PM #65
      And I go and get a stress fracture in my foot. Too much, too quick. Lesson learned.

16. Member
      Vehicles
      2k1 1.8t gti, 2k10 CR-V
      04-28-2008 03:05 PM #66
      Yeah, it does usually take a few miles for me to get 'in the zone' feeling and once it's going, sometimes seems like it doesn't stop till I get forced to stop by somebody trying to run me over. Whether or not this is a runner's high I don't know, but it sure feels good. Pretty much had it going on in the last marathon (a good day at the Boston marathon is a glorious thing with all the people out, my mouth hurt from smiling almost as much as my legs) through mile 22-23 before I started to focus more on keeping it going. I knew going through the hills and to the end that stopping would be a very bad thing to do as my legs were tiring and just had a feeling that if I stopped for a second they would clench/cramp and I'd be suffering to make it home. One thing about big races is that the first few miles your pace is sorta limited by the crowds so that gives you a chance to warm up. For the smaller ones you'll want to jog around a bit to get the blood flowing and be ready to go from the gun.
      As for how long to stay in that zone before tiring... I've got my official 5k splits from that race:
      first one was 20:55 limited by crowds
      fastest was 10-15k in 20:37, pretty much a flat section
      slowest was 30-35k in 21:46 (last of the hills in there)
      the last measured, 35-40k was 21:03 running off the energy of screaming drunken college kids and calculating that I was home clear under 3 and could enjoy the experience as my legs went numb.
      Overall pretty even 5k splits for this hilly marathon which was part of the goal. I wouldn't say that I wasn't tiring, just that I stayed within myself and didn't push too far into the zone where spontaneous combustion can occur. As you guys get miles and years under your belts you will start to get a better idea of what to expect when things are going well. Hopefully avoiding the knowledge of when things are going so badly that you've gotta get medical help. Be careful with that stress fracture, was it actually diagnosed as one? I've thought I was getting one last year and the other month; last year turned out to be a part of an old shoe rubbing against a foot with a bunch of massage and stretching.

17. 04-28-2008 03:13 PM #67
      Would I be stupid to sign up for a half marathon on Saturday without any real training (aside from the half half marathon that I did last Sunday)?

Vehicles
      04-28-2008 03:23 PM #68
      howd you feel after the 10k? so long as you werent in excruciating pain id say it's not a big no-no. i mean, ive never run one so i cant speak from personal experience, but unless you finished the other race feeling like you could go do it again at the same speed id say just slow your pace a bit and see how it goes. you can always old-lady jog it or even walk if it gets to be too much.

19. 04-28-2008 03:24 PM #69
      Quote, originally posted by Cameronstein »
      Would I be stupid to sign up for a half marathon on Saturday without any real training (aside from the half half marathon that I did last Sunday)?

with a broke toe?

20. 04-28-2008 03:29 PM #70
      Quote, originally posted by jopr175 »
      with a broke toe?

Turned out to only be sprained. Thought it was broken due to the weird bruising and immense pain I was in. Not the case...

21. 04-28-2008 03:30 PM #71
      howd you feel after the 10k? so long as you werent in excruciating pain id say it's not a big no-no. i mean, ive never run one so i cant speak from personal experience, but unless you finished the other race feeling like you could go do it again at the same speed id say just slow your pace a bit and see how it goes. you can always old-lady jog it or even walk if it gets to be too much.

I honestly felt like I could keep going, but who knows.. it's like like lifting weights. The first 6 reps are easy but the last two get exponentially more difficult. I'm assuming running is the same?

Vehicles
      04-28-2008 03:30 PM #72
      by the way, never did the whole 'intro' thing everyone else seems to be doing... 6' 2" 180 28yo, new to running, always despised running through high school, but started running for fitness and am catching the bug...
      1st 5k this weekend, 2nd one planned for June 21 with a training schedule in between. going to gauge the effectiveness of the training and based on my progress may decide to up the ante.

Vehicles
      04-28-2008 03:32 PM #73
      Quote, originally posted by Cameronstein »
      I honestly felt like I could keep going, but who knows.. it's like like lifting weights. The first 6 reps are easy but the last two get exponentially more difficult. I'm assuming running is the same?

ask slugman about that, but i imagine it is. a lot seems to be mental too, you start thinking about not making it and you wont. but i think if you reduced your pace a bit you'd manage it... but is your toe broken? thatd be a bad idea if it is.

Vehicles
      Focus hatch
      04-28-2008 03:39 PM #74
      Quote, originally posted by slugman »
      Be careful with that stress fracture, was it actually diagnosed as one? I've thought I was getting one last year and the other month; last year turned out to be a part of an old shoe rubbing against a foot with a bunch of massage and stretching.

I haven't seen the doc yet but my self diagnosis concluded that it probably is one. There's no sign of my rubbing or anything on my skin, no bruising, and it hurts to the touch, right on my freaking navicular bone too.

25. 04-29-2008 10:06 AM #75
      just bought some new Mizuno wave inspire 3's for the summer 5k season!!!!!
      i'm so excited to run with them..i've been using these cheap adidas for hte last 6 months and they are worn to bits...my feet will thank me
      after leaving mizuno to adidas...now back to mizuno...i will never go back, these shoes are amazing

Page 3 of 146 FirstFirst 12345671353103 ... LastLast