Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 83 of 104 FirstFirst ... 337379808182838485868793 ... LastLast
    Results 2,871 to 2,905 of 3606

Thread: The 'official' running thread.

1. Senior Member FlashRedGLS1.8T's Avatar
      04-24-2012 01:53 PM #2871
      Quote Originally Posted by FlashRedGLS1.8T View Post
      No. He actually only has it for a day or two after soccer practice/games and when he was wearing his Vans shoes all day.

We bought him some Saucony running shoes and put the Vans away, that fixed the issue with the vans. From an everyday perspective.

He's still having a lot of pain after soccer.

Actually when he gets out of bed, it's not bad at all.
      He has Calcaneal Apophysitis. Basically it's an inflamation of the growth plate in the heel and apparently it's common in physically active kids his age (especially soccer, basketball & gymnastics). He does soccer and muay thai, both put a lot of pressure, unpadded, to the foot and heel.

Icing it 3 times a day, 15 minutes each time.
      Taking an anti-inflammatory
      Inserted a gel heel cushion in all of his shoes.

If that doesn't help, he'll need to lay off soccer/muay thai until it gets better.

Vehicles
      '02 GTI 1.8t (its red), '91 Miata autoXr (also red)
      04-25-2012 01:40 AM #2872
      AWESOME A RUNNING THREAD!!!! I'm running my third 5K this Saturday since my first one on St. Patties! Im shooting for a new PR of <26, nothing to crazy but it be good for me. Anyone else running down here in the bay area, FL?
      My car is RED.

Vehicles
      2007 Audi A3, 2000 New Beetle 1.8t
      04-25-2012 03:01 PM #2873
      Update. I'm out for Pittsburgh this year. After 4 weeks, I've still been struggling with my hamstring. Tried our group 15 mile run this Sunday. Gave up at 12.5, and have been limping since. Finally went to an ortho yesterday, and turns out I have a stress fracture in my hip/pelvis. Right where the hamstring attaches to the pelvis, thus why I had similar symptoms to a strained hamstring.

Had a bunch of X-rays taken, but they can't tell if this is a new fracture, or could have been there before (had same type of pains about 7-8 years ago), so waiting to get an MRI scheduled.

So a little more rest, and need to do some strength training, but hopefully won't be out too long. Then training starts for Philly!
      Cyber Green. It's not a color. It's a way of life.

'00 GLX Cyber Green / Cream, 5sp.

'12 Mini Countryman S All4 6sp.

Vehicles
      '02 GTI 1.8t (its red), '91 Miata autoXr (also red)
      04-25-2012 11:19 PM #2874
      That awful man! At least your getting sorted out now, hopefully it wont keep you down for to long.

I just got done signing up for the Desoto 5K, another hour and I would have been out another 5 bucks... and i need that for gas..
      Last edited by Igotredcar!; 04-25-2012 at 11:24 PM.
      My car is RED.

5. 04-26-2012 05:56 PM #2875
      I haven't run in a few months since school and work have been so busy but it's that time to start focusing on myself again. Bought some new shoes which will help me not get run over at night if i wear black. Saucony Progrid Kinvara 2.

I'm not a long distance runner at all, but I just want to do 10 kilometers (just over 6 miles) comfortably.

Vehicles
      JB4 335xi, Prius
      04-29-2012 10:44 AM #2876
      Ran the Louisville Marathon yesterday (for the 3rd time, 2007/2008/2012). I never trained past 16 miles (time). I was shooting for 3:40-3:45 (previous were 3:55 and 3:35) and ended up 3:52. Hit the wall at 20 after a very nice 30k of even 8:20's and then picked back up at 23. Oh well, last place > did not finish > did not start.

Major shout out to Nike Air Pegasus 28. I had some light Adidas but got a lot of blisters and bought these 8 days before the race (during a long run, ran over to the store and switched out) and had 12-14 miles in them. No blisters, plenty of cusioning. Also ran in some Balga cushioned socks.

Quote Originally Posted by Internal Combustion View Post
      I called my wife with glee, she was very happy for me. I do believe I've won TCL.
      Yes I quote myself.

335- 12.2@115

7. Senior Member FlashRedGLS1.8T's Avatar
      04-30-2012 09:12 AM #2877
      last place > did not finish > did not start

Vehicles
      2001 W.E Jetta
      05-02-2012 09:59 AM #2878
      Just started running, semi consistantly. Last night I did 3.6mi at 38:12min. I'm hoping to get more consistant pace wise.

Vehicles
      2012 Golf R, 2007 BMW X3, 2002 Jetta 1.8T
      05-02-2012 11:07 AM #2879
      Hey guys, I'm new to running in any type of races, and I'll be running a 10 Mile "marathon" this sunday. Anyways, I've been practicing for 2 months and have done up to 8 miles at a 8.25 min/mile pace. Should I attempt to do 10 miles a couple times before the race? Also, if I'm running 10, when should I look to increase my pace? I just ran a steady 8.5 pace the whole time during my 8 mile run and increased pace on the last 1/2 mile.

Finally, any suggestions on what to do/eat the night before the race? Should I even eat breakfast the morning of (8 am start)?

Thanks!

10. 05-02-2012 12:23 PM #2880
      If the race is this Sunday, I wouldn't do too much heavy running because you want to rest up and make sure you're fully healed for the race. Generally the start is pretty congested so that's usually when your slowest split will be. Just work on getting faster and faster as the race goes on. That said, don't purposefully start off slow and "save yourself" for a kick later. The night before you want to carb up so tons of pasta is the most popular dinner the night before a race. The morning of, I'd at least eat something to get in your stomach. Maybe a bagel since it's carbs and isn't some exotic food that will mess up your stomach.

Vehicles
      05-02-2012 12:25 PM #2881
      Typically, your race pace is going to be faster than your regular runs. For long distance races (halfs, marathons) it's rare to run the total length of the race during training. So while this isn't quite that distance, if you can run 8, you should feel absolutely confident that you'll be just fine for 10 on race day. And being that the 10 mile race is this Sunday, I would NOT try to get out there now and do a couple 10 mile runs before then. You want to get some runs in this week, but taking it a bit easier than normal. You want to get some rest so you have lots of energy for race day.

As for eating. Start some carbo loading two days before the race. Rice is great. Potatoes. Pasta, although that can be a bit heavy. As for the morning of, I always eat breakfast the morning of a race. To what extent depends on the race. At this point, the best advice is to tell you to do what you've done in the past. What do you normally do the mornings of your runs? This isn't the time to be trying something new. The last thing you want to do is eat a huge breakfast before the race, if you normally don't eat a lot, and get to mile 5 and poop your pants.

Vehicles
      2012 Golf R, 2007 BMW X3, 2002 Jetta 1.8T
      05-02-2012 12:57 PM #2882
      Quote Originally Posted by pdoel View Post
      Typically, your race pace is going to be faster than your regular runs. For long distance races (halfs, marathons) it's rare to run the total length of the race during training. So while this isn't quite that distance, if you can run 8, you should feel absolutely confident that you'll be just fine for 10 on race day. And being that the 10 mile race is this Sunday, I would NOT try to get out there now and do a couple 10 mile runs before then. You want to get some runs in this week, but taking it a bit easier than normal. You want to get some rest so you have lots of energy for race day.

As for eating. Start some carbo loading two days before the race. Rice is great. Potatoes. Pasta, although that can be a bit heavy. As for the morning of, I always eat breakfast the morning of a race. To what extent depends on the race. At this point, the best advice is to tell you to do what you've done in the past. What do you normally do the mornings of your runs? This isn't the time to be trying something new. The last thing you want to do is eat a huge breakfast before the race, if you normally don't eat a lot, and get to mile 5 and poop your pants.

thanks that makes sense. I usually run in the afternoon around 5 PM, so I'll normally eat a salad mixed with pasta (less heavier than just plain pasta). For long runs, I'll take something called C4 (pre workout drink) 30 min before... I'm just wary of eating breakfast, and starting to cramp or poop my pants... haha.

How about hydrating? Should i drink a load of water the night before and in the morning? Im really bad at drinking water..

Vehicles
      JB4 335xi, Prius
      05-02-2012 01:47 PM #2883
      Quote Originally Posted by Angina View Post
      thanks that makes sense. I usually run in the afternoon around 5 PM, so I'll normally eat a salad mixed with pasta (less heavier than just plain pasta). For long runs, I'll take something called C4 (pre workout drink) 30 min before... I'm just wary of eating breakfast, and starting to cramp or poop my pants... haha.

How about hydrating? Should i drink a load of water the night before and in the morning? Im really bad at drinking water..

Honestly, I wouldn't worry too much. Do whatever you do to prepare for your 8 mile runs. Your body doesn't know the difference between 8 and 10 miles, you're still into your reserves of hepatic glycogen. My pre race breakfast is always 2 pieces of bread and gatorade. Find time to poop. If you don't have to at home, race nerves will get you and you will.

I don't know what your training schedule has been like for the 10 miler, but just taper. Today being Wednesday, I'd run today maybe 4 or 5, 3 or 4 on thursday and 5k on friday. Just do a taper and take saturday off.
      I called my wife with glee, she was very happy for me. I do believe I've won TCL.
      Yes I quote myself.

335- 12.2@115

14. 05-02-2012 02:16 PM #2884
      signed up for a half marathon in october. just finished my first full marathon on saturday. how long/how many miles do i need to run per week to keep a good base? I don't want to have to start form scratch like i did the marathon, but i certainly don't expect to keep the shape i am in now.

events i am also participating in to see what i will also be training for:
      - warrior dash - june
      - 10k and MTB race in july
      - triathalon in september
      - half marathon october.

results from my first full, it felt good to cross that line, but IDK if i want to do all that training again!

Vehicles
      2001 W.E Jetta
      05-04-2012 08:11 AM #2885
      3.6mi -- 36.44 about a 10min mile. Gettin better, I never thought I'd enjoy running, ever. I use to run a 14min mile in HS and was just dying of exhaustion...

16. Member
      Vehicles
      2009 vw rabbit
      05-04-2012 10:48 AM #2886
      Quote Originally Posted by XClayX View Post
      3.6mi -- 36.44 about a 10min mile. Gettin better, I never thought I'd enjoy running, ever. I use to run a 14min mile in HS and was just dying of exhaustion...
      pssshhh when i strated running last summer i couldnt even run a block. i wasnt fat but i had no endurence. did a 5k a couple weekends ago, was looking at doind under a half hour but came in at 27:22. doing another 5k next weekend, and then i would like to do a 10k in june.

Vehicles
      2001 Golf GLS, 2013 Rogue, and some running shoes
      05-04-2012 03:49 PM #2887
      Sweet! A running thread! I did a 5k last night in 24 minutes, but would like to be below a 7:00/mile pace.

I currently run 4.5-6 miles every other day, and do some swimming,but would like to see what I can do to improve. Any ideas?
      Last edited by 4-Dr-W-a-T; 05-04-2012 at 03:58 PM.
      Quote Originally Posted by GreenandChrome View Post
      "We" tried it. It was called "metrosexualism" and it didn't work. Now the pendulum is on the other end, where men are trying to prove they're men by growing hillbilly beards. If they'd stop wearing their sister's jeans, it might actually work.

05-06-2012 07:46 PM #2888
      Ran my 2nd full marathon today in Newport Beach (scenery = ) and Costa Mesa (scenery = office parks and the concrete river path ).

Finished in 2:49:29 which was good for 8th overall and 1st place in my age group. My next full marathon is back home in San Francisco on 7/29. I really need to do some training between now and then for the hills nearly all of my local training has been relatively flat.

19. 05-07-2012 07:00 PM #2889
      Wow, Congrats, I hope to run sub 3:00 someday. Your one fast pug

Quote Originally Posted by DenverMINI View Post
      Ran my 2nd full marathon today in Newport Beach (scenery = ) and Costa Mesa (scenery = office parks and the concrete river path ).

Finished in 2:49:29 which was good for 8th overall and 1st place in my age group. My next full marathon is back home in San Francisco on 7/29. I really need to do some training between now and then for the hills nearly all of my local training has been relatively flat.

Vehicles
      2007 VW GTi Edition 30
      05-13-2012 07:24 PM #2890
      Did my first ever running event today, a 10k, finishing in 54.30. Really need to buy some proper running shoes pronto though.
      2007 Volkswagen Golf GTi Edition 30
      US Coast to Coast Roadtrip Jun '11.

05-13-2012 09:29 PM #2891
      Quote Originally Posted by kene View Post
      Wow, Congrats, I hope to run sub 3:00 someday.
      Thanks. To go sub 3:00 I've been averaging 50 miles a week (a low mileage week may be 40-45 miles, a high mileage week around 60-65). Consistency in training is key. For my first two marathons I loosely structured my training plan around the Advanced 2 plan from Hal Higdon. For San Francisco I'm going to be using Pete Pfitzinger's 70/12 plan from his book Advanced Marathoning I highly recommend Advanced Marathoning. It is definitely worth the read.

Quote Originally Posted by FoleE View Post
      Did my first ever running event today, a 10k, finishing in 54.30. Really need to buy some proper running shoes pronto though.
      Congratulations on your first race.

Getting real running shoes is a must. Having consistent training is key. Just getting out on the road or on the trail can be a battle some days, but it's so worth it once you make running part of your life and not just something that happens occasionally.

Again congratulations.

22. Member
      Vehicles
      13 GTI, 12 Subaru LadyWagon
      05-14-2012 10:15 AM #2892
      First full is this Sunday.

I am starting to panic because it is going to be too warm for me. Low of 62 and high of 81. My wheelhouse is 30-50 degrees.

I am going to have to readjust my strategies here. Bleh.
      “There are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games.” Ernest Hemingway

23. Member
      Vehicles
      13 vw gli,08 wolfsburg, 84 vw rabbit gti
      05-15-2012 08:35 AM #2893
      Pdoel- have you figured your your possible fracture issues yet? im curious to know what the issue is and how you are planning on handling it.

Vehicles
      05-15-2012 10:03 AM #2894
      Excited, my first fitting for running shoes! I'd like to think Im a neutral runner (Medium arch, mild to no pronation), but I would like to know how ridiculous i look out on the streets of Santa Clarita.

Gait/Stride/Pronation analysis

Im partial to New Balance, but I'd like to see what they suggest for me. I've been eyeing the Kinvara 2 by Saucony and Pure Flow by Brooks.
      "We" tried it. It was called "metrosexualism" and it didn't work. Now the pendulum is on the other end, where men are trying to prove they're men by growing hillbilly beards. If they'd stop wearing their sister's jeans, it might actually work.

25. Member
      Vehicles
      13 vw gli,08 wolfsburg, 84 vw rabbit gti
      05-15-2012 02:56 PM #2895
      my suggestion isnt to find a brand you like, but rather, a shoe you like. go find a nice specialized running shoe store that will measure and fit you. they'll suggest what would be best for your gait/stride/etc. most shops have a treadmill or even let you run around the building to get a feel of the shoe(most important part IMO).

26. 05-15-2012 04:13 PM #2896
      [QUOTE=DenverMINI;77369893]Thanks. To go sub 3:00 I've been averaging 50 miles a week (a low mileage week may be 40-45 miles, a high mileage week around 60-65). Consistency in training is key. For my first two marathons I loosely structured my training plan around the Advanced 2 plan from Hal Higdon. For San Francisco I'm going to be using Pete Pfitzinger's 70/12 plan from his book Advanced Marathoning I highly recommend Advanced Marathoning. It is definitely worth the read.

Ive been running a consistant 35-40 MPW but havent really been able to follow a training plan do to conflicts in scheduling (too much going on). Just ran a 3:40:18 at Hunington Beach and hope to run a 3:30 at Ojai 2 Ocean on June 2. How does Pfitz compare to Higdon? Which do you like better? I have read Higdons book.

27. 05-18-2012 12:34 PM #2897
      I'd say to up your mileage if you plan on going sub-3:00. Also try adding in some longer speed workouts (2x3 miles, 3x2 mies, etc...) along with some longer runs at tempo pace. Last but not least, try to get in some long runs where you either run the middle miles in or finish at marathon pace.

28. 05-21-2012 01:43 AM #2898
      Quote Originally Posted by madisonry View Post
      I'm excited to go through this thread. I've spent most of my life hating running, but now I'm realizing it's not so bad if I make an effort to do it right. I'm not aiming for marathons yet and haven't decided on much of a routine either, but I plan to do a 5k by June and a 10k by year's end. Both are pretty big goals for me!
      I don't think I've been in this thread since I posted this over 2 years ago, but it was pretty awesome to go back and find it. I did 3 half marathons in 2011, have a long run base of at least 10 miles every Saturday morning and am running the full in Berlin this year. Gonna go pat myself on the back now.

Vehicles
      Mk4 jet, and antique honda bikes
      05-21-2012 11:38 AM #2899
      sweet thread!
      Im totally into trail running as of 3 months ago. I long distance trail run 1-2x a week, added that to my mma training and stamina is amazing!
      formally seRpwr on the vortex.

Vehicles
      2012 Jeep Wrangler, 2009 Grand Cherokee; 2001 BMW 325Ci vert
      05-21-2012 01:11 PM #2900
      I messed up my back at the gym last week, and have taken the past week of running off as a result. I am eager to get back out there, but I don't want to go out too soon and do more damage. It feels essentially healed, I can't tell if I am more sensitive knowing that the pain was there last week, but I still feel that something is "different." I plan to go for a run tomorrow morning, hope things go smoothly!

Vehicles
      05-22-2012 10:56 AM #2901
      Had a dissappointing run,... my slowest run in a very long time. 10:00/mile pace. I've ran faster when i was a smoker. I use to run a 6:30 mile back in Dallas when I was smoking half a pack a day.

I think it was a culmination of too much exercise on saturday, breaking in my Noosas, a bad night sleep and being a monday. Its still dissappointing for me. I hope wednesday brings better fortune for me.

32. 05-22-2012 11:23 AM #2902
      Quote Originally Posted by 602crew View Post
      I'd say to up your mileage if you plan on going sub-3:00. Also try adding in some longer speed workouts (2x3 miles, 3x2 mies, etc...) along with some longer runs at tempo pace. Last but not least, try to get in some long runs where you either run the middle miles in or finish at marathon pace.
      Thanks 602crew!
      Ive been really trying to focus on my speed workouts lately because Im pressed for time. I usually do 5 milers at lunch were I like to start at a slower pace (9-9:30) and speed up every mile from there (last mile being 6:30-7). My problem lately is getting those long runs in, I need to focus and just do my long runs early in the morning before the family wakes up. Real worried about my marathon coming up..

Vehicles
      05-23-2012 10:06 AM #2903
      Quote Originally Posted by superslowGTI86 View Post
      Pdoel- have you figured your your possible fracture issues yet? im curious to know what the issue is and how you are planning on handling it.
      Well I've now had two MRIs (second was yesterday). The radiologist at the imaging center is ruling it a fracture (right where the hamstring attaches to the pelvis). My ortho says he'd rule it more as a stress reaction. There's still quite a bit of swelling.

My right hamstring is still very weak though compared to the left. So I really need to be working it more. He suggests I continue to cross train. He thinks by mid June, I should be a-ok, but gave me the go ahead to start testing it out. Said I won't know until I try, so I'm going to try a run each Friday. Obviously, if I feel pain, I'll stop. But really thinking after all this time off, I have to be about ready.

Vehicles
      The Standard of the World | Das Auto | Feed Your Restless
      05-26-2012 06:32 PM #2904
      I am a natural runner. Scottish highlander, dad was an olympic athlete.

What else should I do besides running to keep fit? What do you guys do to supplement your running?

I do pushups (triangles, wide, narrow, regular, etc), pull ups (several variations), and basic core exercises (situps, crunches, planks, leg raises, etc).

I used to lift weights but I got shot in the shoulder and I have nerve damage, so I stay away from anything potentionaly harmful.
      Semper Fi | USMC '06-'14 | 0311 | 0331| 0933
      Aonarch's Blog!
      Quote Originally Posted by Mark Twain
      Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

35. 05-27-2012 10:15 PM #2905
      Quote Originally Posted by kene View Post
      My problem lately is getting those long runs in, I need to focus and just do my long runs early in the morning before the family wakes up. Real worried about my marathon coming up..
      If you are having trouble finding the time to get in your longer runs, 2 hurter runs might help. Maybe 3-5 before work and then your normal 5 at lunch. I would still focus on those longer runs and the mid-distance runs. (9-12 milers)

Quote Originally Posted by Aonarch View Post
      I am a natural runner. Scottish highlander, dad was an olympic athlete.

What else should I do besides running to keep fit? What do you guys do to supplement your running?

I do pushups (triangles, wide, narrow, regular, etc), pull ups (several variations), and basic core exercises (situps, crunches, planks, leg raises, etc).

I used to lift weights but I got shot in the shoulder and I have nerve damage, so I stay away from anything potentionaly harmful.
      I just run. Of course I run ~70 miles/week so that's enough to keep me fit. To supplement my running, I just do normal core exercises and pushups.

Page 83 of 104 FirstFirst ... 337379808182838485868793 ... LastLast