I wanted to share my project with you all
This is a short version of my ongoing project so far...
This is my second Air Ride project. I think you all remember my old project
So.. whats happening now?
Well early last year I came over a very good 1968. The only rust I found was around the jackmounts.
But the enginebay didnt look to good FIRE!
After some hours work the engine looked a bit better and it worked like a charm. This season I am going to use this engine but I have planned to build a new one next winter.
This is the car BEFORE I started my air ride project.
So.. whats the plan? Primer & Chrome!
I am going for a RESTO/ROD look. The body is going to be painted with gray primer. The wheels will be painted with red primer....and all the chrome --> Smoothie hubcabs, fender trim, mouldings, bumpers etc.
Wheels? 4,5" steel in front and 8" widen steel in the rear.
Tires? 135 in front and 185/60 in the rear.
Whats happend so far?
Two boxes with "joy" from Pete
Bodylift in November:
Then the fun started
Narrowing my beam 4":
Fixing the only rust
Tonight I started shaving the front fenders and doors.
I am going to install door poppers so let`s shave some more
It took some time to make the sheetmetal fit perfectly, but it turned out pretty good.
Welding finished. One door to go.
I spent some hours in the garage tonight. And got a lot done
Transmission, bags, käfer cup bar etc. in place.
I think the result was pretty ok
Completed my transmission today.
Converted to short axels, new bearings etc.
No updates for some days. Got the flu
Anyways.. I had to do something in the garage so last night I hooked up the rest of the Air Ride and was able to test it
Temporary install. All these parts are going to be installed under the hood in front.
After connecting the battery I was ready for the first "test drive". Everything was working 100% and no leaks
Slammed it is laying flat on the ground (physical) and on top I got 23cm under the car. That's what I call a DROP, baby!
So, when I get rid if my flu I will get some tires on and be able to test it even more.
And best of all, finally get started on the body.
<FONT SIZE=""3"">*Sunday update*</FONT>
It was a sunny day in Oslo today so I wanted to spend som time OUTSIDE the garage for a change
Started to work with the body. Almost no rust here either SWEET!
This isn't to bad for a car that haven't been restored since it was new in 1968
Inside.. only some surface rust.
Workin' in the sun
Sunny in Oslo this weekend. So I took the car out of the garage and worked outside instead of inside the garage.
Started working on my inner arches in front. Need some more space for the front suspention after narrowing it.
Instead of just cutting out a part I sliced it and hammered it in shape. This is a picture early in the process.
Gasfiller finally gone. Last layer with bondo is on. Finito baby!
Started some cleaning of useless holes in the inner arches
Then some REAL fun. After modifying the inner arches etc.. I was ready to try on the body again. I had a BIG smile in my face when I sat down behind the car an saw this FAT ass!!!!!!! YEEAH BABY!!
Still, the car will be a bit lower with the correct tires..
I finished the first two layers with primer tonight (inside the car)
Very pleased with the result. I took some time before I got the perfect roughness in the primer. Correct mixture of paint/thinner and adjustment of the paint gun.
Last layer of primer inside the car tonight.
So.. a little "sneak peak" mates???
A LOT of work was done on the car today. The car is now sanded and ready for paint. Just have to sand the last bondo tomorrow.
I also sandblasted the engine bay after the fire. I thought it was much more work, but it wasn't so bad after all.
I put primer on all the inner arches and the backend of the car.
Before I closed the garage for tonight I sprayed the last layer of paint on the wheels.
FINALLY! WHEELS, BABY
I think this will be AWSOME on the car
195/65-15 on 8".
<FONT SIZE=""5"">Phat boiii</FONT>
I mounted the wheels on the car tonight. *BIG SMILE*!!
..and with the correct tires, touchdown!
YOU GOT CAMBER???
Not much on the ground.. hehe
Got the new steering wheel tonight. Allready sanded and primed as we speaks.
Last night I sprayed the last layer of bondo. Going to sand this today and the car is then ready for paint tomorrow.
I got two days off at work now so I will get a lot done
More chrome trim is installed on the dash. Around the speedo.
Did some more "color coding"
And another little Køstom "thing"....
Hmmm.... what's happening..??
I give you.... the Apple ashPod
Of course in the same rust red color. It is a PERFECT fit inside the ashtray.
Had to do some minor modifications to make it fit.
The 60Gb ashPod'en will be connected to a 4-channel amp and a hidden front system and a subwoofer.
Well guys. Tomorrow is the day.. the car is ready for the paint booth
Worked on the car the hole day and I will start shooting primer tomorrow morning.
Before I quit tonight I painted and assembled my steering wheel.
Ok, folks. A lot of progress with the car. Almost finished painting the body.
I am not going to show the hole car before all details are done. But here's a sneak peek of one of my "secrets" More to come, so just stay tuned
Thats the short version. Now I`ll keep this thread up to date
Modified by DrLaban at 10:46 AM 4-26-2008
Modified by DrLaban at 6:42 AM 4-20-2009