Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: How long can it sit outside the fridge in closed jar before it goes bad?

Vehicles
      88 F150, 04 RX8
      04-28-2008 06:26 PM #1
      How long can it sit outside the fridge in closed jar before it goes bad?

I know this varies by item- I;m sure anything with eggs or milk will go bad quicker.

I pulled out a recently opened jar of Hot Pace Picante Sauce from the fridge at lunch (12:30) and then realized when I came home at 4:30 that it was still sitting on the counter (top closed). I started to throw it away, then I put it back in the fridge.

So is it bad?

Are there certain standards for different things- regarding how long they can be out of the fridge and still be ok?

|˙˙ʇǝuɹǝʇuı ǝɥʇ uo ʇxǝʇ uʍop ǝpısdn ɯopuɐɹ pɐǝɹ noʎ :ǝɯıʇ ǝǝɹɟ ɥɔnɯ ooʇ ʎɐʍ ǝʌɐɥ noʎ ןןǝʇ oʇ ʍoɥ˙˙˙|http://hotlinktest.com/

Vehicles
      1999 Cosmic Green Jetta TDI
      04-28-2008 06:36 PM #2
      I'd keep it. Think about how long salsa sits out at a party and people continue to eat it. If it was meat or fish, I'd be more leary about it.
      Quote Originally Posted by KahviVW View Post
      Wow, TCLers are not a photogenic bunch
      Quote Originally Posted by TheDarkEnergist View Post
      My god...this thread is pure homosexual excellence.

Vehicles
      '10 Toyota Prius V+nav; '92 Sedan De Ville
      04-28-2008 06:41 PM #3
      I think the Pace will be fine. The high acidity of the tomatoes will keep it well-preserved.
      --Chris

Vehicles
      Mk6 JSW TDI and Mk4 Jetta VR6
      04-28-2008 06:41 PM #4
      It's still good.

What about when food is left out overnight? I wouldn't dare eat it, but I know some people who would. Is it still good?

Brewtus
      Forever you will be missed.
      Nov 26, 2004 - Feb 20, 2010

5. 04-28-2008 06:47 PM #5
      I have left milk out overnight and was still good the next day.....your picante sauce is fine....

6. 04-28-2008 07:56 PM #6
      Quote, originally posted by VdubGoddess »
      It's still good.

What about when food is left out overnight? I wouldn't dare eat it, but I know some people who would. Is it still good?

i love to leave my pizza out and eat in the morning... putting it in the fridge makes it to cold.. nothing like room temperature pizza leftovers. never got sick..

Vehicles
      07 Fahrenheit GTI, 03 Mountaineer
      04-28-2008 08:59 PM #7
      Quote, originally posted by chrisj428 »
      I think the Pace will be fine. The high acidity of the tomatoes will keep it well-preserved.

+1

You need to be careful with things like Mayo that have raw egg in them. Salmonella poisoning isn't much fun. You have the same risk with raw poultry but you aren't likely to let that sit out on the counter all day and you're going to cook it before you eat it.

Vehicles
      88 F150, 04 RX8
      04-28-2008 09:26 PM #8

Yeah- I smelled it before putting it back in the fridge. It smelled just like it did before, but warmer.

I think heat and exposer are the issues here.

If it had been left with the top open or out in a very hot area (outdoors in summer heat), it would have put in the garbage without even thinking about it. But sealed in the preopened jar- it made me wonder.

In the old days people had cellars to keep produce. All they had was glass jars and wax paper and salt for preserving goods, and yet they lasted a while in the cellar. I can't imagine cellars were THAT much colder than the outside air temperature- though it was probably more stable between day and night like cave.

Anyways- so is there any resource that lists appropriate times that things can be left out- either all at once of cumulatively? I say cumulatively because I remember back to when my grand mother would get out the same things for every meal- and they would stay on the table for like two hours or so before going back in the fridge. It always made me wonder.

Quote, originally posted by Bijos1.8 »

i love to leave my pizza out and eat in the morning... putting it in the fridge makes it to cold.. nothing like room temperature pizza leftovers. never got sick..

I did that once in college. We heated the pizza back up- but we all got really sick (stomach aches and frothy bowels). We only had one toilet for four guys. That was not good.

I have also suffered illness due to bad tuna salad and bad egg salad and a few others, so that's why I am careful now.

FWIW- I read somewhere a while back that cooked potato was the fastest thing to "go bad" sitting out. But now I can't find where I read that. Can't wait for summer picnics an potato salad now. Though the potato salad sauce may protect it somehow.

Modified by BRealistic at 9:34 PM 4/28/2008

|˙˙ʇǝuɹǝʇuı ǝɥʇ uo ʇxǝʇ uʍop ǝpısdn ɯopuɐɹ pɐǝɹ noʎ :ǝɯıʇ ǝǝɹɟ ɥɔnɯ ooʇ ʎɐʍ ǝʌɐɥ noʎ ןןǝʇ oʇ ʍoɥ˙˙˙|http://hotlinktest.com/

Vehicles
      2009 MCS
      04-28-2008 09:43 PM #9
      According to the ServSafe standards:

you have 4 hours for a product to reach an internal temperature of 70 degrees.

This is a guideline. If it was really 4 hrs, they would tell you 3hrs.

To answer your question, you are ok.

10. Member
      04-30-2008 11:18 AM #10
      oh please everything is so processed and high in preservatives that you could probably leave it out for days and it'll be fine. it's probably got the lifespan of ez cheese

11. 05-02-2008 11:32 AM #11
      Quote, originally posted by GeoffD »
      You need to be careful with things like Mayo that have raw egg in them. Salmonella poisoning isn't much fun. You have the same risk with raw poultry but you aren't likely to let that sit out on the counter all day and you're going to cook it before you eat it.

Commercially produced mayo can sit in it's jar at room temperature all the time. Manufacturers use pastuerized eggs, and the high acidity prevents bacteria growth.

Homemade mayo, with unpastuerized eggs, must be refrigerated.

If you put mayo (even the commercial stuff) into something as an ingredient, such as egg salad/potato salad/chicken salad/etc, the acidity of the overall food product will almost certainly be lower than the mayo itself had, and thus becomes a haven for bacterial growth. Therefore, these products must be refrigerated or only allowed to sit in the "danger zone" temps between 40F and 140F for a relatively short period of time before proper temp is achieved.

12. Geriatric Member BRealistic's Avatar
      Vehicles
      88 F150, 04 RX8
      05-02-2008 10:47 PM #12
      Quote, originally posted by 1781ccT »

Commercially produced mayo can sit in it's jar at room temperature all the time. Manufacturers use pastuerized eggs, and the high acidity prevents bacteria growth.

Homemade mayo, with unpastuerized eggs, must be refrigerated.

If you put mayo (even the commercial stuff) into something as an ingredient, such as egg salad/potato salad/chicken salad/etc, the acidity of the overall food product will almost certainly be lower than the mayo itself had, and thus becomes a haven for bacterial growth. Therefore, these products must be refrigerated or only allowed to sit in the "danger zone" temps between 40F and 140F for a relatively short period of time before proper temp is achieved.

What about once the jar of mayo is opened? I assume the unopened jar has been pasteurized in the seal jar so it can sit for a very long time sealed up in almost any normal temperature, but once th jar is opened it allows new bacteria into the jar.

Anyways- I learned at a very young age not to put your egg salad sandwich on the Greyhound window heater for a 20 hour trip........

13. Member
      Vehicles
      '89 V.Red GTi (16v), '91 Monty GTi (8v), '92 Alpine White Golf GL (8v ABA-ified), '90 Audi 90Q (20v)
      05-04-2008 03:11 AM #13
      Quote, originally posted by BRealistic »

Anyways- I learned at a very young age not to put your egg salad sandwich on the Greyhound window heater for a 20 hour trip........

Wow... I totally gagged. *lol*

Asian girl who drives German cars while listening to country music.

14. Member
      Vehicles
      BMW 323
      05-04-2008 08:29 AM #14
      Quote, originally posted by iamMcDubbin »

Wow... I totally gagged. *lol*

yikes

i did too <barf icon>

Vehicles
      98 VW GLX, 2012 Silverado, 2012 Honda CRV, 61 Impala
      05-04-2008 10:19 AM #15

Absolutely. Tomatoes are so acidic it takes a long time to go bad. 4 hours is nothin'.

16. 05-06-2008 07:45 PM #16
      What about once the jar of mayo is opened? I assume the unopened jar has been pasteurized in the seal jar so it can sit for a very long time sealed up in almost any normal temperature, but once th jar is opened it allows new bacteria into the jar.

The acidic pH of the mayonnaise prevents bacterial growth, so this is true whether the jar of mayonnaise was opened or closed.

Unrefrigerated, commercially prepared mayonnaise (when left in it's original container) will degrade in food quality before it becomes unsafe to eat from a food safety standpoint.

Refrigerating it will maintain freshness for a longer period of time, but it won't prevent bacterial growth, because the acidic pH prevents the bacterial growth in the first place.

17. Geriatric Member BRealistic's Avatar
      Vehicles
      88 F150, 04 RX8
      05-09-2008 12:41 AM #17
      Ok- I hate to bump this .... but it seems I am getting forgetful.

I brought home some groceries late last night and put up the "perishables".

Well- after work this evening I find the sealed package of Feta Cheese (block of basil and sun dried tomatoes feta in brine) sitting in the bag with my canned goods (smart bag boy). So is this (expensive) cheese bad, or is it still good?

Modified by BRealistic at 12:43 AM 5/9/2008

Vehicles
      07 Fahrenheit GTI, 03 Mountaineer
      05-09-2008 07:31 AM #18

Well- after work this evening I find the sealed package of Feta Cheese (block of basil and sun dried tomatoes feta in brine) sitting in the bag with my canned goods (smart bag boy). So is this (expensive) cheese bad, or is it still good?

Sealed in brine? No worries. Nothing is going to grow in that much salt. You might have cut the shelf life down some but feta is good for 6 months.

19. Geriatric Member BRealistic's Avatar
      Vehicles
      88 F150, 04 RX8
      05-09-2008 11:32 PM #19

Sealed in brine? No worries. Nothing is going to grow in that much salt. You might have cut the shelf life down some but feta is good for 6 months.

Yep- ate some today and it was fine.

But where are you guys getting this info? Where do you find out that Feta has a 6 month shelf life?

20. 05-10-2008 08:38 AM #20
      <waiting for buckhead to come in and tell us all how almost nothing actually has to be refrigerated...>

Tomato-based products (salsa, pasta sauce) are one of the few things I toss regularly if they either get left out of languish for more than a couple weeks in the fridge. Too many bad experiences among friends & family with upset stomachs and, to quote BRealistic, "frothy bowels."

Vehicles
      1999 Cosmic Green Jetta TDI
      05-10-2008 11:59 AM #21

Yep- ate some today and it was fine.

But where are you guys getting this info? Where do you find out that Feta has a 6 month shelf life?

Anything in brine will have a long shelf life, that's why things were brined historically. You probably could not refrigerate it for days, maybe even weeks.
      Quote Originally Posted by KahviVW View Post
      Wow, TCLers are not a photogenic bunch
      Quote Originally Posted by TheDarkEnergist View Post
      My god...this thread is pure homosexual excellence.

22. 05-10-2008 01:58 PM #22
      Quote, originally posted by Elliot »
      <waiting for buckhead to come in and tell us all how almost nothing actually has to be refrigerated...>

Tomato-based products (salsa, pasta sauce) are one of the few things I toss regularly if they either get left out of languish for more than a couple weeks in the fridge. Too many bad experiences among friends & family with upset stomachs and, to quote BRealistic, "frothy bowels."

Almost nothing actually has to be refrigerated.

Okay, okay...I don't refrigerated Pace salsa and picante sauce, but then I ALSO don't let it get cross-contaminated. I pour it directly from the jar into one of those big-butt serving dishes from Don Pablo's. That said, the jar is usually consumed within 2 days of opening, 3 tops. The pace stuff has so much in the nature of preservatives in it, in addition to the typical tomato and acid stuff that inhibits spoilage. On the other hand, fresh salsas, and the ones that DON'T add a bunch of chemicals and preservatives I DO actually refrigerate since I sometimes don't consume them as rapidly as I do Pace products.

Feta cheese is packed in brine purely for the purpose of preserving it. Yes, keep it cool if you like, but the Greeks and Bulgarians did not usually have working refrigerators handy on their farms, ships, and fields of battle in centuries past, hence the brine.

23. Geriatric Member BRealistic's Avatar
      Vehicles
      88 F150, 04 RX8
      05-11-2008 09:02 PM #23
      Quote, originally posted by buckhead »

Feta cheese is packed in brine purely for the purpose of preserving it. Yes, keep it cool if you like, but the Greeks and Bulgarians did not usually have working refrigerators handy on their farms, ships, and fields of battle in centuries past, hence the brine.

I remember watching some show on the history of cheese- and they talked about the Roman army had hard cheese wheels to keep with them for protein. So they hard cheeses must last fairly well. Did they coat them in wax or something?

Vehicles
      13 JSW TDI, 04 Saab 9-5 Arc SC, 04 B5.5V TDI, 93 S4, 02 Ninja 250
      05-13-2008 04:49 PM #24
      4hrs... don't have a second thought about it.

hell meat will sit outside a fridge for 4 hrs and still be fine.... much less a condiment like salsa.

is there anything in salsa even that could go bad if left out overnight...? i can't think of anything.

onions, tomatoes, seasonings, vinegar, jalapenos.

Modified by dunhamjr at 1:50 PM 5-13-2008

epitome
      "Not everything you eat has to, or should, taste really f*cking awesome. Sometimes you need to eat 'boring' food to stay healthy.

FS: 2004 VW Passat GLS TDI Wagon @ tdiclub - @ vortex

25. Geriatric Member BRealistic's Avatar
      Vehicles
      88 F150, 04 RX8
      05-15-2008 05:46 PM #25

Ok, thinking too much about stupid stuff today and it hit me:

Why would these companies refrigerate stuff that doesn't need to be refrigerated? Refrigerated shipping is much more expensive, and so is refrigerated retail. Why add all that cost to a product if it's unnecessary?

Vehicles
      13 JSW TDI, 04 Saab 9-5 Arc SC, 04 B5.5V TDI, 93 S4, 02 Ninja 250
      05-15-2008 07:13 PM #26

In brine, you're fine... (didn't really mean to rhyme that was my exact thought).

This past thanksgiving we put a completely thawed turkey in a brine over night, unrefrigerated... cooked it up the next day, so juicy and no one got sick. (Thanks Alton )

epitome
      "Not everything you eat has to, or should, taste really f*cking awesome. Sometimes you need to eat 'boring' food to stay healthy.

FS: 2004 VW Passat GLS TDI Wagon @ tdiclub - @ vortex

27. 05-19-2008 10:57 PM #27

Ok, thinking too much about stupid stuff today and it hit me:

Why would these companies refrigerate stuff that doesn't need to be refrigerated? Refrigerated shipping is much more expensive, and so is refrigerated retail. Why add all that cost to a product if it's unnecessary?

Goes back to the food quality issue.
      The cost of food waste due to decreased shelf life before reaching the end of quality life span may be significantly improved by refrigerating the product on it's way to market.