Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Front cross-member brace

Vehicles
      81 Scirocco Mid-Engine VR6, 81 Scirocco, 05 Golf TDI, 00 Audi TT, 90 Corrado Racecar
      06-01-2002 12:14 PM #1
      I remember reading that someone was developing a front brace for the MK1 cross members and I couldn't find anything with a search. It looks as though the front valence has completely separated from the cross-member, which means the front engine mount is extremely week. There are also stress cracks around the intake.
      My plan for now is to sand blast the whole deal and weld it back together and weld a plate over the intake for strength.
      If someone has plans for a brace, please let me know and I can make a few of them with my dad's pipe bender (he has lots of roll cage fabrication equipment)
      and sell them since I'm currently unemployed. If not, I may come up with my own design.

Ben

Vehicles
      '07 Z4 M Coupe, '05 330Ci ZHP
      06-01-2002 02:57 PM #2
      That's me that has the custom prototype for this on my car. Ron Wood at VW Specialties, in conjunction with Mike Potter at Virtual World, will be producing and selling these. Ron is a VERY busy guy and has yet to complete the project.

My suggestion would be to contact Mike and Ron and express your desire to get your hands on one. Ron's email is ron@vwspecialties.com, Mike is at http://www.parts4vws.com.

3. 06-01-2002 09:37 PM #3
      I did that 3 months ago. Still nothing. If any Scirocco guy can fabricate some of these, I'll buy one. A great idea in preventing a costly repair.

4. 06-01-2002 10:42 PM #4
      I came across this web site http://www.tmtuning.com and they have this "A1 front lower stressframe". Not sure if it works the same or not. Anyone got it?

Erik

5. Member
      Vehicles
      VWs & a Chevy
      06-02-2002 02:20 AM #5
      That piece at TM Tuning looks liek a beefed up variation on the stock 16v scirocco lower brace.

I'm one of those waiting on Ron Woods to finish that brace. My front crossmember starting cracking about a month ago and a good (and very nice) friend welded it up and reinforced the crossmember for me, but I want that brace to help prevent it happening again. I do believe that Ron is going to lose out on a lot of customers for these braces if he doesn't finish it soon due to them either cracking their cars and giving up on A1's, or having a local shop custom make a bracket for much more than Ron would be selling his.

Not trying to start something, I think Mike and Ron are great guys and love what they've done for the VW scene (and Scirocco's). And I can understand when someone is busy. But if you have the potential to make an easy couple G and more on a part that you've already designed, you would think that part would have come to market a lot faster than this...

P.S. THIS IS NOT A FLAME! Mm-kay

[Modified by Gewinn, 11:22 PM 6-1-2002]

Vehicles
      81 Scirocco Mid-Engine VR6, 81 Scirocco, 05 Golf TDI, 00 Audi TT, 90 Corrado Racecar
      06-02-2002 04:53 AM #6
      quote:
      I came across this web site http://www.tmtuning.com and they have this "A1 front lower stressframe". Not sure if it works the same or not. Anyone got it?

Erik

thats acutally a front lower suspension subframe. Although it looks really quite well made (and only 1.9 lbs!)

I guess I'll look at designing my own. I've got some hi-tech software for 3D modelling which will also do finite element analysis (stress analysis).

Ben

Vehicles
      90 G60 Corrado
      06-02-2002 01:50 PM #7
      i cracked mine 2 times, but since the first time broke again we went at it the second time, welded thick plates and has not moved since
      90 G60 Project Corrado
      miss the 87 16v Scirocco

Vehicles
      too many
      06-02-2002 02:10 PM #8
      a friend of mine does fabrication work and he made somthing up for me in about 2 hours but he wants me to take the radiator and condensor out so he can make something realy nice.so it shouldnt be to hard for you to make one up with your dads help

9. 06-02-2002 02:19 PM #9
      so this is a front brace that goes behind the headlights and in front of the radiator basically??

where would it bolt up to??

what is the design, is it basically just a bar or is it more complicated??

Vehicles
      '07 Z4 M Coupe, '05 330Ci ZHP
      06-02-2002 03:23 PM #10
      quote:
      so this is a front brace that goes behind the headlights and in front of the radiator basically??

Here are a few pics...

Vehicles
      Germany, 1986
      06-03-2002 02:02 PM #11
      Im currently working with TM on designing a core support brace. Prototype should be done soon.