VWVortex.com - Grinding 2nd.. Change gear oil?
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Grinding 2nd.. Change gear oil?

Vehicles
      97 Jetta GLS - 99 Passat - 06 Jetta
      05-10-2008 07:08 PM #1
      I have a 2.0 jetta with an 020 trans in it.
      and it has a slight grind when shifting into 2nd.
      (grinds when shifting 1st to 2nd but not when shifting 3rd to 2nd)???
      Once it warms up a few miles down the road, the grind stops...
      so what im asking is: could a different gear oil fix this grind? (by possibly warming up faster??)

Vehicles
      86 GTI 2.0L, 88 Scirocco 16V, 2010 F150 STX
      05-11-2008 07:27 AM #2
      Does the car select reverse with no problems and zero noise during selection?
      Last edited by Broke; 06-02-2012 at 10:17 AM.
      020 trans info pages - www.BrokeVW.com
      NEW 0.7619 5th gears for the 020
      NEW 020 reverse gears
      '86 GTI 8V 2.0L -'88 Scirocco 16V - '10 F150 4x4

Vehicles
      05-12-2008 01:03 AM #3
      Yes it selects reverse fine,
      the 1st gear syncro is totally gone, and grind unless you stop.
      but 2nd only has a SLIGHT grind, and only when its cold.
      1st isnt much of a problem because i can always stop, and then shift. (such as at a light) but 2nd is a problem because i dont really have the option of stopping ha ha
      so im just hoping that i can get a different gear oil, that could provide the same lubricating properties, but can warm up much faster.
      (i belive i have talked to you once before about this Broke)

Modified by Michael Cahill at 10:08 PM 5-11-2008

Modified by Michael Cahill at 10:09 PM 5-11-2008

Vehicles
      05-12-2008 01:41 AM #4
      Quote, originally posted by Michael Cahill »
      Yes it selects reverse fine

Good, the clutch is fully disengaging, and the forward syncs aren't trying to fight the clutch [IMG]http://*****************.com/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG]
      so im just hoping that i can get a different gear oil, that could provide the same lubricating properties, but can warm up much faster.

A different oil won't hurt to try at all. Stay with GL4 rated oil, and in the 75-90 weight range, but experiment with various oils, to see what might work best in your trans, as each trans seems to be a little different.
      It might be that there is simply too much worn material missing for any oil to bring back 2nd gear fully for you, and the box would need opened and parts replaced to get it to shift properly again, but it doesn't hurt to try other oil, and you might get a few more miles out of 2nd gear.
      Grinding is bad, and is wearing the actual gear, which would be more expensive to replace than just a worn 2nd gear sync ring, so if 2nd grinds too often, there will be damage to the actual gear, which is something to keep in mind.
      (i belive i have talked to you once before about this Broke)

Very possibly, my memory is shot
      I get user names and real people names mixed up, although in your case, they appear to be the same, but yeah, my memory is gone
      Last edited by Broke; 06-02-2012 at 10:17 AM.
      NEW 020 reverse gears

Vehicles
      05-12-2008 07:37 PM #5
      ok ill try a differnt oil first then
      now ive heard a lot about GM syncromesh... is that worth the try, or is any oil just as good as the next?
      I would'nt so much call it a grind into 2nd, as much as i would call it a rough shift... you can slightly feel it in the shifter, and you can hear is slightly.
      (obviously the sync is starting to ware out... but is there something else that could be causing this as well??)
      now once it warms up... and the "grinding" goes away... is it still doing it even tho all the audiable signs have gone away?
      ps. i have been skipping 2nd and going stright to 3rd whenever i can in the first few miles! It works pretty well because i live a ways out of the city... so i dont have to stop much!
      Thanks for the answers!!
      Michael

Modified by Michael Cahill at 4:41 PM 5-12-2008

Vehicles
      05-12-2008 07:42 PM #6
      now ive heard a lot about GM syncromesh... is that worth the try, or is any oil just as good as then next?

It is worth a try, lots of people have good luck with it.
      now once it warms up... and the "grinding" goes away... is it still doing it even tho all the audiable signs have gone away?

Once everything warms up, the friction coefficient changes and it usually shifts better.
      Last edited by Broke; 06-02-2012 at 10:18 AM.
      NEW 020 reverse gears

Vehicles
      05-12-2008 08:19 PM #7
      ok well i'll go give er a try then [IMG]http://*****************.com/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG]
      Michael

8. 05-19-2008 10:43 PM #8
      I am having the same problem on my 2001, it has a nice grind from first to second. I guess I will try the gm synromesh.

Vehicles
      05-20-2008 12:19 AM #9
      I just put in redline 75-90 wt...
      (i went to the dealer to get the syncromesh, but they were closed, and another shop down the steet had this stuff for 9 bucks a QT, so i thought what the heck...
      it did'nt do a thing! [IMG]http://*****************.com/smile/emthdown.gif[/IMG] its the same as it was before...
      It may work for your tranny (ive heard it worked for some people)
      but im gunna go pick up some syncromesh!
      which ive heard, has done wonders for a bunch of people!
      so i'll let ya know how it goes!

Modified by Michael Cahill at 9:23 PM 5-19-2008

10. 07-16-2008 07:20 PM #10
      i just put a new clutch in my 04 GTI and now i have grinding in 2nd gear when taking off hard could that be an adjustment to the linkage

Vehicles
      2000 VW Jetta GLS VR6 5-speed, 2008 Infiniti G35 Sport 6MT
      07-17-2008 04:43 PM #11
      I've had this problem since day one of my car... I know years ago it was a common topic and just dismissed as a quirk of the car. My 2000 VR6 has 225,000 miles on the original clutch and it's had the 1st to 2nd gear "grind" ever since I drove the car off the lot brand new. It only happens on rare occasions, mainly during a speed shift or high-rpm shifting. Like you said, it's more of a rough shift than a true "grinding" of gears, but it doesn't sound pleasant either way.
      I say as long as it doesn't do it every shift and only maybe once out of every 50 to 100 1st to 2nd gear shifts, I wouldn't worry about it.
      Like I said, 225,000 miles on mine and the tranny is just fine. (as is the rest of the car... great considering how much I beat it).

Vehicles
      07-17-2008 07:35 PM #12
      Quote, originally posted by Jetta2K76 »
      My 2000 VR6 has 225,000 miles on the original clutch

DAMN thats good man!

well an update on the syncromesh:
      I filled up my tranny with it.. and from the literatly the FIRST SHIFT on, it only grinds if i speed shift. its almost compleatly better! (with the exception of a day when it was like 30 deg outside)
      and first gear, which i thought the sycro was compleatly gone, is much better. it still grinds if im going faster than 15 mph however.
      but hey... it would grind if i was even moving before!
      to Syncromesh!!

Modified by Michael Cahill at 4:38 PM 7-17-2008

13. 07-17-2008 10:17 PM #13
      I had some issues in 3rd gear. I couldn't rev past 3k with out getting a nasty grind. I Bought some royal purple which meets gl4 and gl5 75-90 and I have 125,000k miles on the 20th. It took away 99% of the grind. If I beat it really hard liike probably 7K redline I might get a slight grind which is super rare. Other then that I am happy with royal purple [IMG]http://*****************.com/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG]

Modified by uNk1nd.8t at 10:19 PM 7-17-2008

Vehicles
      07-17-2008 11:40 PM #14
      just beware, make sure whatever you get is a GL 4 or below.
      because apparently GL 5 and higher has some sort of additive that actually eats away your sync rings...
      just do a search on it and you'l find a ton of info on the whole topic. [IMG]http://*****************.com/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG]

15. 07-18-2008 01:41 AM #15
      i have the same grind when i shift in to second. i found that if i hold the clutch in a second longer and shift fairly slow i have no grind.
      i am going to try the Syncromesh first thing tomorrow. [IMG]http://*****************.com/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG]

Vehicles
      07-18-2008 03:06 PM #16
      the thing i noticed works well is:
      If you shift slow, spend as much time in nutrual as possible.
      ex: shifting from 2nd to 3rd... as soon as you hit the clutch, put it in nutrual, hang for a sec.. and put it in gear.
      and if that doesn't fix your grinding, try doubble clutching.
      just do a search, and you can find info.

Vehicles
      '97 VW Passat
      01-26-2010 10:20 PM #17
      I have the same problem (grinding into 2nd when shifter faster) in my vr6. First i'll try gm's syncromesh
      O|O|O\
      \O|O|O

Vehicles
      01-27-2010 07:45 AM #18
      the thing i noticed works well is:
      If you shift slow, spend as much time in nutrual as possible.
      ex: shifting from 2nd to 3rd... as soon as you hit the clutch, put it in nutrual, hang for a sec.. and put it in gear.

To make it select a little faster, do the same thing you describe above, but during that pause time in between gears, hold the shifter so you are slightly pulling it into the next gear.
      In your example, you'd pull it out of 2nd to go to 3rd, and while waiting between gears with your foot depressing the clutch pedal, instead of letting the shifter in the car just sit there without being touched, push and hold the shifter slightly up towards 3rd gear, without actually selecting it.
      This will cause the sliding sleeve in the trans for 3rd gear to begin pressing against the brass sync ring and shoving it into the gear, and the friction process will start.
      Friction is what is missing out of everyone's trans that has shifting issues... a lack of friction results in needing more time to allow the shafts to spin up or slow down in order to match speeds so the shift can occur.
      Changing the oil is changing the friction, and changing the shift. What might be wonderful for some (Redline) might not work in this box (Syncromesh) and this other trans may do best with a 3rd type of oil (Royal Purple), but it is the friction that changes, which changes how the shift happens.
      Anyway, holding the shifter towards the next gear you want will push the brass ring against the gear, and friction will start and the gear will either speed up or slow down until it is going the same speed as the brass sync ring. Once the gear has changed speeds due to the friction of the ring, you can select it without any noise.
      This is why a nice slow shift at low RPMs won't grind... the low RPM shift point means the "work" needed doing by the brass sync ring is less. It doesn't have to speed up or slow down the next gear as much as when you try to grab that gear at 6500 RPM or something
      The slow selection by the driver gives the clutch more time to disengage the input shaft (so it can be sped up or slowed down as needed - thus why a bad clutch will make for poor shifting) and it gives the brass sync ring more time to generate the needed friction to change the speed of the input shaft, which is free to move because of the clutch operating properly.
      I need to link this thread from my Oil Change page to show how various brands of oil can work differently in each trans based on how the trans is worn, how much it is worn, how the driver shifts it, where it is geographically as temps affect the oil, etc... oil can help with a grind, and if one oil doesn't, another might.
      In the end though, no oil will replace missing metal, and if the sync ring is worn away and no longer causing the friction we need, then oil can help put a band-aid on the problem for a period of time, but nothing replaces worn metal other than a new part. [IMG]http://*****************.com/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG]
      NEW 020 reverse gears

02-14-2010 02:40 PM #19
      I changed the trans fluid on my R32 to redline MT90 and it made it shift substantially better. I am going to try it in my '97 Golf 2.slow and see what it does.
      It has the 2nd gear grind if not shifting slow...but I guess that is to be expected after 165k. I've got to drop the trans anyway to do a clutch job so..
      -Josh

1-12-5-8-3-10-6-7-2-11-4-9

Vehicles
      '97 VW Passat
      05-04-2010 03:26 PM #20
      Called the local GM dealer they want $25 per quart I heard Pennzoil syncromesh is almost identical; anyone have any info on this? Hows the red line stuff?
      O|O|O\
      \O|O|O

Vehicles
      a gas guzzler and a econobox
      05-11-2010 07:53 PM #21
      Quote Originally Posted by PowerDubs View Post
      I changed the trans fluid on my R32 to redline MT90 and it made it shift substantially better. I am going to try it in my '97 Golf 2.slow and see what it does.
      It has the 2nd gear grind if not shifting slow...but I guess that is to be expected after 165k. I've got to drop the trans anyway to do a clutch job so..
      question did you do the clutch on your 97 and change fluid....any change in grinding into 2nd gear
      indoctrinate through academia and media.
      why is that the ones that seek tolerance are the most intolerant.
      They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. -Benjamin Franklin

22. 05-20-2010 01:36 PM #22
      i have the same problem to my mk4 tdi 6 speed gearbox but it only makes noise in the morning when the car is still cold, it makes the noise when i put it to the second gear after 5 minutes driving the second gear is normal ,i changed the gearbox oil i replaced it with fuchs 75W90 but it still has the same noise when i put it to the second gear, my mechanic told me to change SYNCROS or the whole gearbox, i found a used gearbox for 500 euros i dont know if its better to replace the SYNCROS or to buy the used gearbox.

Vehicles
      10 GTI Stg3, 08 Vabbit, 05 Passat Glx
      05-20-2010 03:05 PM #23
      My 03 mk.4 Golf 2.0L started to grinding noise when doing fast upshift from 1st to 2nd.
      Now it has 232000 miles - noise is still there.
      Just slow down your gear changes.....save money for something else..

24. 05-21-2010 04:44 AM #24
      Quote Originally Posted by skibi View Post
      My 03 mk.4 Golf 2.0L started to grinding noise when doing fast upshift from 1st to 2nd.
      Now it has 232000 miles - noise is still there.
      Just slow down your gear changes.....save money for something else..

ok but can you brake the syncros driving like that, my car does it only when its cold, and does anyone how much are the new syncros for the second gear
      Last edited by daniell; 05-21-2010 at 04:49 AM.

Vehicles
      10 GTI Stg3, 08 Vabbit, 05 Passat Glx
      05-21-2010 08:25 PM #25
      Well, I have no idea how much synchros will cost. I'm sure if you'll buy them from a dealer - it won't be cheap. I've never done transmission work myself and would rather opt for a swap....
      But that's just me...
      As I said before, I first noticed that at about 50k miles. After putting another 150k+ and teaching my daughter how to drive stick (it is her car now ) grinding is still present when trying to quick shift from 1st to 2nd. Car has original clutch thou with 233000 miles - maybe new one will help....but I doubt it.

For advertising information click HERE

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast