Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Symptoms of timing being half tooth off.

1. 05-21-2008 06:49 PM #26
      My car has these symptoms (loss of power, different exhaust note, slight sputtering), directly after I did my headgasket. Now when I put the head back on I made sure cylinder 1 was at TDC, the crank lined up with its marks on the block, and the cams were set where I could slide in the cam plate I could also see the notch on the intermediate sprocket. The notch wasnt directly straight up though it was slightly more pointing towards the front of the motor. I guess my question is do these symptoms seem like it would be a timing issue? I have changed numerous sensors on the motor thinking those might be the problem. Thanks for any help Im running out of possible solutions!!

2. 05-21-2008 10:09 PM #27
      probably your cam position sensor, marino
      did you putthe magnet on right? or did it fall apart? is it plugged in?

3. Member
      Vehicles
      91 RRC, 97 GTI
      05-21-2008 10:17 PM #28
      Quote, originally posted by fredhogarth »
      probably your cam position sensor, marino
      did you putthe magnet on right? or did it fall apart? is it plugged in?

i cracked mine when i put in new cams...caused much the same as what youre describing and headaches up the ass. i tore it apart numerous times to check, double check, triple check timing and changed sensors before i finally noticed the magnet was cracked

4. 05-22-2008 11:48 AM #29
      Quote, originally posted by marinocr125 »
      My car has these symptoms (loss of power, different exhaust note, slight sputtering), directly after I did my headgasket. Now when I put the head back on I made sure cylinder 1 was at TDC, the crank lined up with its marks on the block, and the cams were set where I could slide in the cam plate I could also see the notch on the intermediate sprocket. The notch wasnt directly straight up though it was slightly more pointing towards the front of the motor. I guess my question is do these symptoms seem like it would be a timing issue? I have changed numerous sensors on the motor thinking those might be the problem. Thanks for any help Im running out of possible solutions!!

Make sure your hall sender got plugged back in. I had symptoms similar to yours and the mechanic forgot to plug it back in after doing some work. The car ran, but sputtered if you floored it and I noticed a loss of power.

5. 05-22-2008 03:39 PM #30
      Yes it was plugged in and I changed the CPS sensor already but I did not change the magnet Im going to go and check it out, and pick one up also if theyre cheap. This car is driving me insane though trying to figure out what it is

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12