Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Car makes a creaking sound when turning the wheel

1. 05-12-2008 01:14 PM #1
      so a couple of weeks ago i noticed that when i turn my steering wheel a certain direction (don't recall which way, but will update next time i drive) i hear a creaking noise coming from the engine. the first time i noticed it i was parallel parking and it seems to happen everytime i park. sometimes i can feel it coming from underneath the center console by my feet. anyone have an idea what this could be? im thinking it could be a motor mount issue, but a friend told me it could be my suspension. im currently on stock wheels and stock suspension with stock motor mounts and a nuespeed dogbone insert. any help would be much appreciated.

2. 05-12-2008 01:22 PM #2
      My wife's '01 Passat suddenly developed a similar creaking noise. It turned out the tie-rod ends had torn the rubber seals and the linkage had corroded and was creaking. A shot of WD-40 quieted them down temporarily, but of course we ended up replacing them.

(yeah, I know, a Passat is not a MkV GTI. FWIW anyway)

I'd hoist it up and crawl under and carefully inspect everything.

Keep us informed.

3. 05-12-2008 01:26 PM #3
      i have only 24k miles on my car and it is still under warranty. is this something that the dealer could fix? i plan on lowering my car soon and would like to take care of this problem before i do so.

4. 05-12-2008 02:35 PM #4
      If it's covered by warranty let the dealer do it, for sure!

5. 05-12-2008 02:38 PM #5
      Had exactly the same issue as you do. Steering rack had to be replaced. 2nd rack also had issues so I'm on my third one. No problems for the last 30k miles.

6. 05-12-2008 03:16 PM #6
      If it's a clicking sound when turning the wheel, it could be your strut bearings. Try turning on your car, put your windows up and turn off your radio. turn the wheel all the way to the left slowly, then all the way to the right slowly. Does your car go "CLICK::CLICK::CLICK::CLICK::CLICK::CLICK::CLICK::"? If it does, it's your wheel bearings.

The dealer will cover it under warranty, but if you lower your car, you might want to get familiar with replacing the wheel bearings....

07' VW GTI TR. APR Edition 30 K04 & S3 injectors with full flash, Turbo back RSC, Neuspeed intake, APR Intercooler, Neuspeed throttle pipe, Forge DV, Neuspeed pulley, APR HPFP, VF Engineering full mount kit, H&R 28mm Front/24mm Rear sway bars, Neuspeed sway bar endlinks, Koni FSD's, H&R Sport springs. Minor cosmetic just to make her look good, but keep the cops from looking twice...

7. 05-12-2008 04:46 PM #7
      i think i am going to take it into the dealer and have them look at it. i have a custom mkiv r32 muffler with atp catless dp along with other engine mods, but nothing involving the suspension or steering wheel, do you think they will say anything? ive taken it to them before when i had begun to modify my car and they did not say anything, but it was before i did any exhaust modification.

8. Member
      Vehicles
      2007 Audi A3 2.0T / DSG / APR Stg. 2
      05-12-2008 11:47 PM #8
      Not sure about the dealer, but I've heard that a lot of shops will not even touch your car if there's no cat. Let us know what happens, because I'm also catless but haven't had to take it to the dealer yet...

9. 05-19-2008 12:15 AM #9
      You will be fine if you haven't touched your suspension. If they say something, talk to the service manager.

I had a strut bearing issue and didn't know what it was. They diagnosed the issue and then proceeded to tell me they couldn't fix under warranty, which is fine since I have an H&R Cup Kit. I expected to have to pay for diagnosis but they waved the charge.