A little weekend update. Well, as noted before, my wife wouldn't let me buy the GTI unless I made it look presentable. So this past week I've been trying to make it look better than the powder orange thing it originally rolled up as. As you guy know, I put 2 coats of cleaner/fine-cut wax down and then one coat of standard gloss wax to bring the paint back to life. That worked well, but having the 3 boys help me wax did a number on the trim. Mostly, it turned whitish.
I was going to paint it, but you guys alerted me to something a little easier and a touch cheaper.
Now, you said use shoe dye, but this leather dye was all I could find ~ so after realizing shoes are leather, and this stuff is made for that ~ I got it at a whopping $2.50 @ wallyworld.
After a test run on the flares ~ with great results...
I decided it was time to try it on the trim.
So it looks like it'll work. I realize you guys don't break stuff down as detailed as this, but I'm going to document what I did, how I did it, and hope it helps some knuckle-head like myself when you get plagued with yet another DAN.
With that.... lets proceed.
Well, how I did it is some low-tack painters tape (the blue stuff) from Home Depot (or any home improvement store). Its cheap, and will keep the dye off your paint ~ mostly.
At first I worked on one panel at a time, and then just re-used the same tape, but quickly realized that even though the low-tack tape comes off and goes back on easily, I wanted to give everything a double coating of dye w/ drying time in between the coats. So I taped the remainder of the side and then did one panel, then the next, then the next. Then went back through the starting at the first...again.
Driver side taped up.
The spongy top of the dye bottle makes this stuff pretty easy to control, and with some caution, you can do it without the tape. But in my would, things don't go that easily and its normally easier if you have some safety built in. Combine that with the fact you need to get both the top and the bottom of the trim and you'll quickly realize that not getting anything on the paint is extremely difficult.
The 2" wide tape allowed me to do this.
Which sped the job along extremely fast. By being able to push the sponge to the top of the trim I was able to get a pretty good coat up there. Then I dragged dye across the outer edge of the trim like so...