Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: B6 Passat Rear Brake R&R DIY

1. 11-09-2008 11:46 AM #36
      Very complete DIY. thanks for the details.
      I did mine without any battery charger hooked up..no codes or issues.
      I think it's in the procedures as a precaution in case your battery is in questionable health.

2. 02-09-2009 08:00 AM #37
      I don't have a vag com for my 2006 Passat 2.0T. What I do notice on my Passat is that when I turn off my engine (the auto hold isn't pressed), the parking break does not automatically engage to parking position. I can see that this is the case as I push the car (either from the front or back) while the engine is off, and the car does in fact move a bit. With the parking break on, the car does not move as I push it.

So... knowing that the parking break isn't automatically pressed againt the rotor (after the engine is off), do I still need the vag com to open the caliper before I go about changing the rear breaks???

Thanks,

3. 02-09-2009 11:35 AM #38
      Quote, originally posted by bxw »
      I don't have a vag com for my 2006 Passat 2.0T. What I do notice on my Passat is that when I turn off my engine (the auto hold isn't pressed), the parking break does not automatically engage to parking position. I can see that this is the case as I push the car (either from the front or back) while the engine is off, and the car does in fact move a bit. With the parking break on, the car does not move as I push it.

So... knowing that the parking break isn't automatically pressed againt the rotor (after the engine is off), do I still need the vag com to open the caliper before I go about changing the rear breaks???

Thanks,

Yes, because although the electronic pistons are not pressing against the rotor when parked, it will not back into the caliper housing for you to get the new brake pads in because it will remain static in that parked position.

Why don't you try without it and let us know if it works or not...

4. Member
      Vehicles
      2010 Golf TDI
      02-09-2009 11:41 AM #39
      I don't have a vag com for my 2006 Passat 2.0T.

snip

Yes.

You might be able to get the old brakes pads out because they have worn down enough to clear the rotor, but he new pads are much thicker, and VAGCom (VCDS) is needed to have the pistons fully retract into the caliper so the new ones will fit.

VAGCom also reseats and resets the caliper based on the new pads.

2010 Golf TDI 4 Door Shark Blue. DSG, Sunroof, Dynaudio, Nav, Rear airbags

Quote Originally Posted by Outie5000 View Post
      And lets be honest, owning a diesel car is nifty.

5. 02-24-2009 12:15 AM #40
      I'm glad I stumbled upon this DIY before I screwed it up more than it is now! Luckily I had all the time to research wilst waiting for all the parts to come in (rotors, brakes, triple square).

I've already removed the left rear pads before reading up on the DIY. It's just hanging out right now until I get my Vag Com cable. Will I still be able to reset/reseat/open/close the piston, so I could push it back? Or am I screwed?

6. 04-13-2009 01:53 PM #41
      Does anyone know the part number for replacement carrier stretch bolts? I found n91081501 online, but it shows the bolt head size as being 12mm.

Modified by networkcrasher at 3:45 PM 4-13-2009

7. 04-17-2009 10:58 AM #42
      I noticed that you didn't have a pair of chuck to block the front wheels from rolling. Isn't this dangerous?

Vehicles
      1996 VR6 GTI, and 2014 Jetta TDI
      06-04-2009 11:57 PM #43
      Ok guys I have made a major mistake when replacing my rear pads. I used vagcom to move the motors. I had both calipers off the car. I used a C Clamp to push in one side and reinstalled everything. My Major Flaw was that I tried to reinstall the rim/tire on one side before even finishing the other side. I stepped on the brake before the other caliper was reassembled. Now the piston has pushed all the way out and won't go back in. What have I done? How can I fix this problem?

9. Member
      Vehicles
      2010 Golf TDI
      06-05-2009 04:00 PM #44
      Quote, originally posted by SMOOTH »
      Ok guys I have made a major mistake when replacing my rear pads. I used vagcom to move the motors. I had both calipers off the car. I used a C Clamp to push in one side and reinstalled everything. My Major Flaw was that I tried to reinstall the rim/tire on one side before even finishing the other side. I stepped on the brake before the other caliper was reassembled. Now the piston has pushed all the way out and won't go back in. What have I done? How can I fix this problem?

Use VAGCom to re-cycle the pistons back out and back in. That should reset the calipers.

10. Member
      Vehicles
      2010 Golf TDI
      06-05-2009 04:02 PM #45
      I noticed that you didn't have a pair of chuck to block the front wheels from rolling. Isn't this dangerous?

Actually both front tires are chocked. The chocks are on the front side of the tires, in the direction the weight of the car is sloped towards.

Vehicles
      06-05-2009 04:12 PM #46
      Quote, originally posted by dhambrick »

Use VAGCom to re-cycle the pistons back out and back in. That should reset the calipers.

I thought about that. (Remember one caliper is now back in place and one is unbolted) So use the sequence to close the piston and then performance the sequence again like I was starting from scratch......

12. Member
      Vehicles
      2010 Golf TDI
      06-05-2009 04:40 PM #47
      Yep, from scratch.

Bolt the caliper back on with one old pad or something so that it won't come all the way put. You should be fine. Even with the piston out, with one old pad (or none), it should go back over the rotor.

I wouldn't cycle the motors with the caliper off the car. Not sure if anything would happen, but...

Vehicles
      06-05-2009 09:42 PM #48
      Ended up being a little more difficult than that but it is all back together. Now my EPB light flashes and beeps. And I have this code:

Friday,05,June,2009,19:32:19:35305
      VCDS Version: Release 805.4
      Data version: 20090602

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Address 53: Parking Brake
      Control Module Part Number: 3C0 907 801 B
      Component and/or Version: EPB VC8HC001 013 0001
      Software Coding: 0000013
      Work Shop Code: WSC 131071
      1 Fault Found:

02433 - Supply Voltage for Right Parking Brake Motor (V283)
      012 - Electrical Fault in Circuit - MIL ON
      Freeze Frame:
      Fault Status: 11101100
      Fault Priority: 1
      Fault Frequency: 1
      Reset counter: 222
      Mileage: 88008 km
      Time Indication: 0
      Date: 2009.06.03
      Time: 19:16:42

Freeze Frame:
      Voltage: 13.56 V
      Count: 87

14. Member
      Vehicles
      2010 Golf TDI
      06-06-2009 03:29 PM #49
      I would suggest posting this on the VAGCom forum. Also, there is a diagnostic portion of the Rear R&R VAGCom procedure.

Have you tried clearing the code and running through the entire sequence (including the test portion) again?

Vehicles
      06-06-2009 03:48 PM #50
      Quote, originally posted by dhambrick »
      I would suggest posting this on the VAGCom forum. Also, there is a diagnostic portion of the Rear R&R VAGCom procedure.

Have you tried clearing the code and running through the entire sequence (including the test portion) again?

Thanks. I have posted this on the VAGCom forum. I have tried clearing the code it comes right back and I have tried to go through the sequence again but I get a error message when trying to open the caliper and it doesn't do anything during the close or test sequences.

07-16-2009 04:37 AM #51
      Hey Mate,

I literally just noticed that you are in Dallas and that we have the same color car. That's weird huh...well thanks for posting this tutorial btw.

I need to replace the rear brakes on my Passat as soon as possible and was wondering what you were up to this weekend? All we need is someone with VAG-Com to help open/close the calipers. I mean you posted the tut so you would know what I need the VAG for right.... Please let me know if you can help, thanks.

Vehicles
      '12 A4, '12 Highlander, '06 Passat
      07-18-2009 01:12 AM #52
      Thank you very much for this DIY. It made for one of the easiest brake jobs I have ever done.

Vehicles
      2012 4Dr Golf TDI TechPkg
      07-19-2009 11:13 PM #53
      Thanks for the DIY! Just did all four corners on the B6 including new disks, and all four on my Jetta. Easy Easy time!

19. 09-25-2009 11:25 AM #54
      I can verify that rear brake pads can be done with out vag com. Long story short:
      - Ensure auto hold and park brake is off
      - Jack the rear and remove wheel
      - Remove the rear brake caliper
      - Crack the bleeder screw
      - Twist and press caliper piston all the way in
      - Tighten bleeder screw once piston is in
      - Install new pads
      - Remount rear brake caliper
      - Remount wheel
      Thanks RedWabbitVR.

20. 09-25-2009 11:41 AM #55
      Can anyone verify and second that from what Red WabbitVR said about not having VAG to replace rear brakes?

21. 09-25-2009 01:39 PM #56

22. 09-25-2009 02:19 PM #57
      I have to agree that having to purchase a program to retract the electric parking brake is a bit much. I do know my way around brakes as I was a certified technician. The systems have not changed much over the past 15 years. I can see just opening the bleeder would allow the piston to be seated again and not throw a code as the fluid is not going back to the master cylinder. I like to see who else chimes in on this fix.

23. 10-05-2009 01:19 PM #58
      Thanks for a great DIY. I have an 08 2.0T with a bad parking brake switch button. And my rear brakes are trash at 30k Rotors and Pads. Could the bad PB button have cause premature failure of my rear brakes?? The Rear brake have had MAJOR dust on them since I bought the car new... My front brakes have over half the pad left- just have no idea how rear brakes are trash at 30k. Any help would be great thanks.

24. 10-05-2009 05:43 PM #59
      From what I understand only one caliper in the rear will activate and be the parking brake. Therefore, if it was stuck then only this side would be worn out and rotor possibly toast. If both are doing it then there is another problem...like heavy braking on your part, crappy parts, proportion valve leads the rear brakes to work harder than designed. It is to my understanding that VW designed the rear brakes to work harder than the front. Perhaps some one can verify that. On my B6 the rear breaks do not generate more dust than the front brakes.

Modified by avgwarhawk at 1:44 PM 10-5-2009

Modified by avgwarhawk at 1:45 PM 10-5-2009

25. 10-06-2009 01:58 PM #60
      Thanks for the reply. I am taking the car to another VW dealer to have the brakes replaced and I will check if it one rotor or two that are bad. I do know what the wear is on the inside of the rotor as the pads and rotors are in great condition on the outside of the rear rotors. This is just very stange to me thanks again.

26. Member
      Vehicles
      1999 VW Passat V6 (Windsor Blue)
      10-06-2009 07:54 PM #61
      With the rear brakes make sure you check the thickness yourselves.. my dealer wanted me to change them at 51k miles and claimed i really needed to change them. its finally time at 70k miles to replace them...

I'll be trying to do the rear brake procedure sans vag-com but with it at the ready.... I'm sure with a mityvac on the bleeders i can do it myself, just like any other brake job.

27. 10-07-2009 10:03 AM #62
      I'm interested if you can get the brakes changed by just opening the bleeder to allow the caliper piston to seat in the bore. Let me know!

28. Member
      Vehicles
      2010 Golf TDI
      10-08-2009 08:20 PM #63
      Thanks to everybody for the notes. Sorry if I missed the opportunity to help out on a brake job, I've been traveling a lot.

Taking the fluid out of the caliper does allow the piston to make back some, simple displacement. However, the VAGCom activates the motors that work the parking brake and retracting the pistons. I am not saying it won't work, I am saying there have been a lot more people posting that it doesn't work that have successfully done it.

Also, following the procedures in the DIY also has VAGCom reset the entire elctric motors sytem to compensate for the thickness of the new pads and/or rotors.

29. 10-09-2009 10:04 AM #64
      Rob is going to attempt with just bleeding the caliper and I'm interested in what becomes of it. There is always two ways to skin a cat as they say.

30. Member
      Vehicles
      1999 VW Passat V6 (Windsor Blue)
      10-18-2009 04:14 PM #65
      Well i just finished the rear brake job. Took just under an hour.

My buddy at VW service lent me the vagcom cable for the weekend and i just downloaded the software.

I spoke to him about doing the job without vagcom and he told me that when the new audi a8's came out they had the electronic rears just like our cars and when they attempted to replace the brakes without vagcom it screwed up the calipers and they had to replace them. He also stated that hes had many people trying this having their cars towed for repairs on calipers... so i say just find a friend and borrow a cable... he said its very possible to do this without but why risk it when theres soo many vagcom users out there.

Funny cause i dont have a laptop so i had my desktop hooked up in my driveway with neighbors looking at me weird.

Have to say this is the easiest brake job i have ever done even without using vagcom before. If it werent for finding all the tools and removing/installing the wheels this really would take 15 minutes.

Modified by handsome rob is taken at 12:18 PM 10-18-2009

31. 10-29-2009 11:26 AM #66
      i have a scanner Launch X-431, it is very usefull for all brands of vehicles and especially for VWs and i am wondering if i can make it work to open the rear calipers on the B6 Passat
      OR
      Do i absolutely need the VAG-COM tool to do that maintenance ?

thanks in advance.

32. 10-30-2009 12:14 PM #67
      problem solved, with an other scanner in which you can select the function basic setting, you could do the repair work !

33. Member
      11-03-2009 10:49 PM #68
      Thanks for a great DIY. Butter smooth procedure beginning to end.
      Sometimes a majority only means that all the fools are on the same side.

Vehicles
      06' 3.6 Passat 4-Motion
      11-26-2009 04:02 PM #69
      Well I did my first brake job on the Passat. I followed this tutorial and everything went really smooth. I didn't have any issued.

thanks for the great DIY Tutorial.

Happy Thanksgiving

35. Member
      Vehicles
      2010 Golf TDI
      11-26-2009 07:29 PM #70
      Thanks for the kind words guys. Have a great Thanksgiving weekend.

C'mon Cowboys!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast