Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: fan relay, fan control module question.

Vehicles
      1982 vw rabbit truck
      06-06-2008 08:12 AM #1
      ok so it turns out to be the hottest day when i go to turn the a/c on and nothing....well i noticed yesterday that when i pulled in the garage that my cooling fans were on (both of them).

the fans continue to run even though the car is shut off and they run for around 10mins than just stop.

i read some post that people think it might be the fan relay or the fan control module but i cant find anything about them in the bentley. can some one help me out before i dump a bunch of cash into fixing a electrical problem that might not be one.....i know you cant return electrical items when you purchase them and i would hate to buy something that is already good.

on a extra not i pulled the #16 and #25 fuse to see if it would stop and it continued to run.

thanks

06-06-2008 02:47 PM #2
      The Fan Control Relay is bolted beneath the battery tray.
      That's a known failure item when the fans are inoperative.
      Part number is: 141-951-253-B

Fan Control Module is on the lower driver side of the radiator...
      Or can be located on the driver side lower framerail.

- Erik

Modified by bluefox280 at 11:51 AM 6-6-2008

PatternDraftImaging.com - "...Where Engineering Discipline and Photography Merge as One..."

3. 06-10-2008 01:30 PM #3
      Can i jump in here and ax a question?

My 2000 jetta is acting up again. AC blows cold when driving, not super duper german cold but everything is working. I can hear/see the ac compressor cycle off and on. When I stop it blows warm.
      With the engine running I turn on the AC and the fans run for a second or two, then they stop. If I turn the ac off then back on they do the same thing. Weird part is if I have the key in the run position but with the engine off, I turn the ac on and they run all the time like they should.
      I figured its only money so I went to the dealer and bought the $178 ish relay the bolts to the bottom of the battery tray, well it didn't help at all.
      Can someone please point me to the next step? I cant figure out if there is another relay that i can replace. Is there a fan control module? Does anyone have a part number for this?

TIA
      Sweaty seats in NY...

Vehicles
      1982 vw rabbit truck
      06-10-2008 08:40 PM #4
      ok so i got the item from under the battery box off.... not sure how to test this thing but i really dont want to spend the payolla if i dont have to on a new one.

i turned the car to the aux position and turned on the a/c both fans started to spin, when i turned the key to the off position the fan(s) still were spinning. then i disconnected the item under the battery box and the fans quit.... is it this item?

thanks

5. 06-10-2008 11:41 PM #5
      I am having the same problem and narrowed it down to the fan control module. I found one on ebay http://item.express.ebay.com/V...sItem but it is not for my year. I also found it here http://www.partsamerica.com/Pr...Set=A

Vehicles
      1982 vw rabbit truck
      06-14-2008 06:43 PM #6
      just installed this,

and it did nothing for me my fans still run after i shut the car down....so if this is the module i probably need the relay??? i looked everywhere on the radiator for this and still no luck.....any one got a picture of it?

thanks aaron

7. 06-14-2008 07:46 PM #7
      its the same for me, I replaced that same part and the fans still only come on for 1/2 a second when I turn on the ac.
      I followed the wiring as best i could but cannot find any other relays.
      Any suggestions?

8. 06-14-2008 07:57 PM #8
      CAN I ASK A QUESTION??!?!

what if my AC works perfectly fine and the fans only work on "high" speed ????

Vehicles
      1982 vw rabbit truck
      06-14-2008 07:58 PM #9
      both of my fans are working, they work even after i shut the car off even if it is hot or cold...then they run for 10mins. i tried the a/c and the a/c still blows HOT air....i hate electrical stuff.

10. 06-14-2008 11:02 PM #10
      is your compressor cycling on and off?
      did you check the charge?

11. 06-16-2008 07:35 PM #11
      my compressor was cycling before it all together stopped working. could it have been telling me i'm low on refrigerant. i jumped the compressor and it engages and my FCM is brand new. any ideas?

12. 06-18-2008 10:17 AM #12
      Quote, originally posted by DuB_MaNG »
      CAN I ASK A QUESTION??!?!

what if my AC works perfectly fine and the fans only work on "high" speed ????

Thats your fan resistor pack located in the passenger footwell area. Pretty easy swap.

13. 06-18-2008 01:02 PM #13
      Quote, originally posted by urname7698 »

Thats your fan resistor pack located in the passenger footwell area. Pretty easy swap.

can u emphasize on that...

14. 06-18-2008 01:33 PM #14
      this might help.

your cooling fans will still run after your car is off to cool down the radiator which is hot from you driving. this is normal is most cars. now it staying on for 10 mins is not a fan issue, but more of a heating issue with the engine. check the sensor to the fans and also check your coolant levels.

Vehicles
      2001 VW Jetta Wolfsburg 1.8t (RIP), 2007 VW GLI 2.0T
      05-23-2009 07:23 AM #15
      Quote, originally posted by urname7698 »

I'm having that exact problem. Where is it (more specifically where in the passenger footwell area), and what part do I need?

16. 04-05-2011 01:22 PM #16
      I'm having the same problem, I'm starting to think it's a temperature switch sensor as well as the fan / ac control relay. my ac doesn't work at all even though the compressor is new and the charge is good. Ever since the new compressor went in my fan would run for 10 minutes and ten shut off. I changed he relay under the dash, but that didn't help. My mechanic told me it was because the engine was cooling off, but it does it even when i turn it to just use the radio, without starting it and then shut off. The weather is too cold right now to work on it, but i'll be changing the relay nder the battery and i'll post when I do with the results.

17. 04-05-2011 04:39 PM #17
      ok my fans dont turn on, i jump them and they work, ok i ready change al the fuse's an 3 sensors
      the one on the radiator, the shwitch fan sensor and the other one, une blue, one white and the one on the radiator, but still the fan's dont tourn on, termostat new, wather pump is working fine.

so the fan contorl module? or there is an other felay, heeeeeeeeelllp

18. 04-19-2011 08:51 PM #18
      where is the relay located for the A/C for a 2000 2.0 jetta? TIA...

Vehicles
      2012 VW Beetle Tsi
      04-23-2011 11:34 PM #19
      WOW, all these issues and no definite answer or solution. It's this way in all the forums I visited. It seems people never solve this type of problem or if they do they don't want to share what finally solved their problem. I just bought a '00 New Beetle 1.8L and I have a similar problem. My fans actually run on HIGH speed once I turn the ignition switch to the on position, not yet starting the car. The fans continue on HIGH for as long as I have the iginition or the car on. They do switch off once the ignition is off. The AC works fine and the car doesn't overheat but these fans are driving me bonkers. I mean it can't be good for them to run at SuperHigh Speed forever. I did change the Fan Control Module which is located under the battery box, I did change the green Coolant Temp switch and the 2 pin Thermal Temp/AC/cut off switch but the problem still exists. Fans On Super High speed and no solution in sight. Some people are saying that it could be the fans themselves that are bad and that's why they are constantly running at the only speed they still can. But I hate to dump any more money into this stupid car until I know for sure what the heck is wrong with this thing. (Yes, I checked all the fuses on top of the battery and the psgr compartment by the door)
      Did anyone here ever get their cars fixed and find a solution to this issue or did they just nuke the damn thing and bought another brand of car? Please share with the rest of us what finally fixed your fan issue. Thank you!!!

20. Member
      Vehicles
      2004 Jetta GLS 1.8T
      04-29-2011 07:59 PM #20
      same problem with me too... the radiator fan works. i just don't get the cold air. when a/c is on, the radiator fan doesn't work. i bought the fan control module too which i am about to install next week.

Quote Originally Posted by IndyTTom View Post
      WOW, all these issues and no definite answer or solution. It's this way in all the forums I visited. It seems people never solve this type of problem or if they do they don't want to share what finally solved their problem. I just bought a '00 New Beetle 1.8L and I have a similar problem. My fans actually run on HIGH speed once I turn the ignition switch to the on position, not yet starting the car. The fans continue on HIGH for as long as I have the iginition or the car on. They do switch off once the ignition is off. The AC works fine and the car doesn't overheat but these fans are driving me bonkers. I mean it can't be good for them to run at SuperHigh Speed forever. I did change the Fan Control Module which is located under the battery box, I did change the green Coolant Temp switch and the 2 pin Thermal Temp/AC/cut off switch but the problem still exists. Fans On Super High speed and no solution in sight. Some people are saying that it could be the fans themselves that are bad and that's why they are constantly running at the only speed they still can. But I hate to dump any more money into this stupid car until I know for sure what the heck is wrong with this thing. (Yes, I checked all the fuses on top of the battery and the psgr compartment by the door)
      Did anyone here ever get their cars fixed and find a solution to this issue or did they just nuke the damn thing and bought another brand of car? Please share with the rest of us what finally fixed your fan issue. Thank you!!!

Vehicles
      2012 VW Beetle Tsi
      04-29-2011 09:45 PM #21
      Well, after 2 weeks I finally fixed the issue with my '00 Beetle 1.8 The cooling fans started to run on Super High speed the moment you turned on the ignition (even without starting the car) and they remained on Super High Fan Speed the entire time until you shut off the ignition.
      I swapped out the "Green" Temp Sensor and I also ordered a "AC Cut out/off switch from ECS tuning. When I replaced that switch I noticed the one that I pulled was "Black with a Green Stripe on the top rim" The one that ECS sent me was "White" in Color. I didn't think anything of it since they look totally identical besides the color. They both had 2 pins and the plug fit perfectly on the "White" Switch. Anyway, I turned the ignition on and there goes the fans again at Turbo Speed. Damn, I thought for sure that was it. Well, I came to think that perhaps there is more than just the different color to that switch. I cleaned off the old switch and was barely able to read the part number off. I plugged it in as a Search on ECS Tuning and BAMM there it was. Black Switch with Green stripe just like the one I took out of my 1.8T Beetle. I went ahead and ordered the part just to give it a try. It came in today, I swapped it out and guess what. Problem Solved. The fans remain off when turning the ignition to the 2nd On position and only come one when they are suppose to now. WOW, and I already ordered a Fan Control Module and a new Fan Assembly from Amazon which hasn't arrived yet. Now, I can send those things back and save me about 200 bucks. Amazing that that little part can cause so many headaches. Okay, so let me give you the part number of this switch. It's not an AC cut off switch but is called a 2 Pin Thermal Switch 112c
      The OEM Part number is: 357919369F Here is the link to ECS for this part:
      http://www.ecstuning.com/Search/357919369F/ES248948/
      You can find that switch on the Drivers side towards the radiator/fan shroud where the upper radiator hose and two smaller hoses come together and where those 3 hoses meet. This is where the switch is located and it's and easy 2 minute swap. I didn't even loose any coolant since I had it sitting in the garage overnight and there was no pressure in the line. If you order the switch be sure to also order a new O-Ring they don't send you one with the switch and they really should.

Anyway, I just wanted to report back and let everyone know that my little big problem has been solved You all have a great weekend!

Tom in Indy
      '00 Yellow Beetle 1.8L GLX

22. Member
      Vehicles
      2004 Jetta GLS 1.8T
      05-07-2011 03:23 PM #22
      Thanks for this info. The fan of my car is not turning on when I use the A/C. Fan turns on though when left idling and if it reaches the temp to cool it down. I replaced the Fan Control Module thinking it was what is causing it, but to no avail, similar problem. I will try this too on my car. Anyone who need a Fan Control Module, please let me know. (I'm selling my old Fan control module for $75.00 - part# 1J0-919-506K).

Well, after 2 weeks I finally fixed the issue with my '00 Beetle 1.8 The cooling fans started to run on Super High speed the moment you turned on the ignition (even without starting the car) and they remained on Super High Fan Speed the entire time until you shut off the ignition.
      I swapped out the "Green" Temp Sensor and I also ordered a "AC Cut out/off switch from ECS tuning. When I replaced that switch I noticed the one that I pulled was "Black with a Green Stripe on the top rim" The one that ECS sent me was "White" in Color. I didn't think anything of it since they look totally identical besides the color. They both had 2 pins and the plug fit perfectly on the "White" Switch. Anyway, I turned the ignition on and there goes the fans again at Turbo Speed. Damn, I thought for sure that was it. Well, I came to think that perhaps there is more than just the different color to that switch. I cleaned off the old switch and was barely able to read the part number off. I plugged it in as a Search on ECS Tuning and BAMM there it was. Black Switch with Green stripe just like the one I took out of my 1.8T Beetle. I went ahead and ordered the part just to give it a try. It came in today, I swapped it out and guess what. Problem Solved. The fans remain off when turning the ignition to the 2nd On position and only come one when they are suppose to now. WOW, and I already ordered a Fan Control Module and a new Fan Assembly from Amazon which hasn't arrived yet. Now, I can send those things back and save me about 200 bucks. Amazing that that little part can cause so many headaches. Okay, so let me give you the part number of this switch. It's not an AC cut off switch but is called a 2 Pin Thermal Switch 112c
      The OEM Part number is: 357919369F Here is the link to ECS for this part:
      http://www.ecstuning.com/Search/357919369F/ES248948/
      You can find that switch on the Drivers side towards the radiator/fan shroud where the upper radiator hose and two smaller hoses come together and where those 3 hoses meet. This is where the switch is located and it's and easy 2 minute swap. I didn't even loose any coolant since I had it sitting in the garage overnight and there was no pressure in the line. If you order the switch be sure to also order a new O-Ring they don't send you one with the switch and they really should.

Anyway, I just wanted to report back and let everyone know that my little big problem has been solved You all have a great weekend!

Tom in Indy
      '00 Yellow Beetle 1.8L GLX

23. Member
      Vehicles
      2004 Jetta GLS 1.8T
      05-09-2011 11:37 PM #23
      I have the same problem, no cold air coming out. radiator fan does not turn on too.
      I replaced the following already but to no avail.
      Auxiliary Fan Control Module - part# 1J0-919-506-K
      Thermal Switch with 3 pins (located under the radiator) - part# 1J0-959-481-A

There's another part that might be causing this, next in my list to replace.
      Thermal Switch with 2 pins (A/C cut off switch) - part# 191-919-369-A.
      Does anyone know where I could find this? I have a 2004 jetta 1.8T.

My freon is still good...

Quote Originally Posted by radlynx View Post
      Thanks for this info. The fan of my car is not turning on when I use the A/C. Fan turns on though when left idling and if it reaches the temp to cool it down. I replaced the Fan Control Module thinking it was what is causing it, but to no avail, similar problem. I will try this too on my car. Anyone who need a Fan Control Module, please let me know. (I'm selling my old Fan control module for $75.00 - part# 1J0-919-506K).

Vehicles
      2012 VW Beetle Tsi
      05-10-2011 12:10 PM #24
      Are you sure that is the right Part Number for your Thermal switch? In my case I thought it was the AC Cut Out switch as well but it wasn't. They look the same but the color of the switch is different. You may want to pull the switch first and check the part number. Mine was 2 pin Thermal Switch 112c Part Number 357919369F They look the same and they are both 2 pins but the don't work the same. Double check before your order the wrong part. Also have you replaced your "Green" Temp Sensor? Those are known to go bad as well and are very easy to replace. Also check your AC Pressure switch which could also cause your fans not to come on.

I have the same problem, no cold air coming out. radiator fan does not turn on too.
      I replaced the following already but to no avail.
      Auxiliary Fan Control Module - part# 1J0-919-506-K
      Thermal Switch with 3 pins (located under the radiator) - part# 1J0-959-481-A

There's another part that might be causing this, next in my list to replace.
      Thermal Switch with 2 pins (A/C cut off switch) - part# 191-919-369-A.
      Does anyone know where I could find this? I have a 2004 jetta 1.8T.

My freon is still good...

25. Member
      Vehicles
      2004 Jetta GLS 1.8T
      05-10-2011 07:15 PM #25
      yes, according to the dealership. I got that part# from the dealership for my model. I have replaced the green temp sensor a around 2 years ago. where can i find the A/C pressure switch? i looked around the engine and i could not find any 2 pin switch.

Are you sure that is the right Part Number for your Thermal switch? In my case I thought it was the AC Cut Out switch as well but it wasn't. They look the same but the color of the switch is different. You may want to pull the switch first and check the part number. Mine was 2 pin Thermal Switch 112c Part Number 357919369F They look the same and they are both 2 pins but the don't work the same. Double check before your order the wrong part. Also have you replaced your "Green" Temp Sensor? Those are known to go bad as well and are very easy to replace. Also check your AC Pressure switch which could also cause your fans not to come on.

Vehicles
      2012 VW Beetle Tsi
      05-10-2011 11:06 PM #26
      If you have a two pin switch it would be located on the top radiator hose where it comes together with 2 other hoses. It would look very similar to the temp switch and is held in by a similar clip. I believe some of the later model years no longer have this switch. It is the 3rd speed fan switch or Thermal switch and activates the fans to Super High speed if the temps ever reach 112celcius. If your car is a later model VW it may no longer have this switch. The Low/High AC Pressure switch location varies with each model and can be a little tricky to find. Just trace your AC metal lines and you should be able to find it. I think on a Passat you have to take the Passenger side headlight out to even get to it. If you do find it you can bridge terminal one and two and the compressor should kick in. If it does it isn't your compressor and it could very well be the switch. (It is a 4 terminal switch)

yes, according to the dealership. I got that part# from the dealership for my model. I have replaced the green temp sensor a around 2 years ago. where can i find the A/C pressure switch? i looked around the engine and i could not find any 2 pin switch.

Vehicles
      337.sold 2.slow
      05-10-2011 11:18 PM #27
      had the same issue.
      Replaced the fan control module, temp sensor in radiator, thermostat and cts.
      Fans still run for 10 min even if only turned to acc.
      One of the outer fuses on top of the battery stops them/

Will read through this later for some more info and hopefully an answer
      CTS 3076 kit, CTS 750hp FMIC, CM FX400, 2L, AEB, RMR IM, Raxles, Eurodyne, 870's...

Vag Scans, pm me

Vehicles
      2012 VW Beetle Tsi
      05-11-2011 12:24 AM #28
      Quote Originally Posted by hootyburra View Post
      had the same issue.
      Replaced the fan control module, temp sensor in radiator, thermostat and cts.
      Fans still run for 10 min even if only turned to acc.
      One of the outer fuses on top of the battery stops them/

Will read through this later for some more info and hopefully an answer
      If your fans run with only the ignition on and the car not running then it is the 2 pin Thermal Switch. Look at my previous posts above. Make sure you get the right switch ordered. It is not the white switch but it is "BLack with a green strip on the top rim" It sits on the upper radiator hose/ drivers side where the large hose is met by 2 smaller hoses. In the center of this sits the 2 pin Thermal switch which makes your fans go nuts. Switch it with the correct one and you troubles are over.

29. Member
      Vehicles
      2004 Jetta GLS 1.8T
      05-11-2011 03:47 PM #29
      I searched again last night and I could not find it. Could that be that the green temp switch with 4 pins is the one you are referring to? I have a 2004 jetta gls 1.8t. I still have my old 4 pin temp switch which I can use to test it. I'll try this tonight. I'll trace the a/c pipes to find the AC pressure switch.

If you have a two pin switch it would be located on the top radiator hose where it comes together with 2 other hoses. It would look very similar to the temp switch and is held in by a similar clip. I believe some of the later model years no longer have this switch. It is the 3rd speed fan switch or Thermal switch and activates the fans to Super High speed if the temps ever reach 112celcius. If your car is a later model VW it may no longer have this switch. The Low/High AC Pressure switch location varies with each model and can be a little tricky to find. Just trace your AC metal lines and you should be able to find it. I think on a Passat you have to take the Passenger side headlight out to even get to it. If you do find it you can bridge terminal one and two and the compressor should kick in. If it does it isn't your compressor and it could very well be the switch. (It is a 4 terminal switch)

30. Semi-n00b
      Vehicles
      2001 GTI VR6 12v
      05-11-2011 04:57 PM #30
      On my car it seems that only the right (passenger side) fan comes on when the AC is on.

The left (driver side) fan never seems to come on, even when it is a hot day and the car has been running.

When standing, the AC seems to blow warm air. It only blows cool (often not cold) air when I am driving

The climatronic thermometer was showing 45C/113F today. The left fan still wouldn't turn on after a spirited drive.

Seems that quite a lot of components are involved in the fan system, what would be the recommended way to troubleshoot?

31. Member
      Vehicles
      2004 Jetta GLS 1.8T
      05-12-2011 12:49 AM #31
      I found the A/C pressure switch (3 pins part# 1K0-959-126-D). I replaced it and the fan still does not turn on when the A/C is on. Is there a relay that I need to look at?

32. Semi-n00b
      Vehicles
      2001 GTI VR6 12v
      05-12-2011 06:12 AM #32
      Quote Originally Posted by bahman2000 View Post
      On my car it seems that only the right (passenger side) fan comes on when the AC is on.

The left (driver side) fan never seems to come on, even when it is a hot day and the car has been running.

When standing, the AC seems to blow warm air. It only blows cool (often not cold) air when I am driving

The climatronic thermometer was showing 45C/113F today. The left fan still wouldn't turn on after a spirited drive.

Seems that quite a lot of components are involved in the fan system, what would be the recommended way to troubleshoot?
      Seems that I am having a fan-resistor problem as described here
      http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?3844295

33. Member
      Vehicles
      2004 Jetta GLS 1.8T
      05-12-2011 08:00 AM #33
      Finally I'm getting close to fixing my car after a couple of $$$$. Nice links here.
      http://uk-mkivs.net/forums/p/59897/488123.aspx#488123
      http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?3890491

Seems that I am having a fan-resistor problem as described here

Vehicles
      2012 VW Beetle Tsi
      05-12-2011 02:32 PM #34
      I searched again last night and I could not find it. Could that be that the green temp switch with 4 pins is the one you are referring to? I have a 2004 jetta gls 1.8t. I still have my old 4 pin temp switch which I can use to test it. I'll try this tonight. I'll trace the a/c pipes to find the AC pressure switch.
      You have an 04 Jetta which may not have that 2 pin Thermal switch like the early Beetle's had. They did away with that cumbersome switch in later years and I don't know if the Jetta ever had it.
      The Green Temp switch is a totally different animal and a lot of people blame it for a lot of problems but it doesn't go out that often. The old black one yes but the newer Green one last a while.

Vehicles
      2012 VW Beetle Tsi
      05-12-2011 02:34 PM #35
      In your case it is probably the actual fan that has gone bad. They have certain internal resistors that do go bad. You can unplug the fan and bridge the conector to see if it comes on. If it doesn't it is probably the fan itself that has failed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast