Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: exhaust heat shield rattle: is there a way to fix this?

Vehicles
      Car that looks good from afar.
      06-09-2008 02:52 PM #1
      ive noticed that potentially my heat shield or whatever guard that is 1 step toward the front of the car from where the inlet pipe connects to the exhaust system may be the reason for my rattle at 2k and 3k rpms. i think its a heat shield but im not sure. the thing is it seems properly mounted, nothing is cracked/broken/or loose. but when i do try and wiggle it it does make a slight creeking noise that sounds similar to the rattle i get. so i could forsee this as being my issue.

but, is there anyway to fix this rattle w/out just taking off the part? i figure its there for a reason and it looks like its held on in 2 places. but theyre not nuts they almost look like spot welds or something. 1 on each side. any ideas on what to do?

something to get you all in here:

|| Mk4 Wheel Offset and Stance Picture Index || ClearWaterDubs || ClearWaterDubs@VWVortex ||
      || Please don't PM me with offset questions, post in THIS THREAD instead ||

Vehicles
      06-09-2008 06:34 PM #2
      bumpage
      || Mk4 Wheel Offset and Stance Picture Index || ClearWaterDubs || ClearWaterDubs@VWVortex ||

06-09-2008 06:43 PM #3
      Hmmm. Some of the 2.0's that come into the shop with a rattle have the oil pan shield on them and they come loose or get broken and they sometimes rattle. Do you have any pics for reference on the heatshield?

Vehicles
      Bagged 03 24v GLI RIP, 65 Mustang Fastback Sold, '12 RB R
      06-09-2008 06:47 PM #4
      i have the same thing foinf on. its getting really annoying!

Vehicles
      06-10-2008 12:43 AM #5
      Quote, originally posted by BoostdIndigo »
      Hmmm. Some of the 2.0's that come into the shop with a rattle have the oil pan shield on them and they come loose or get broken and they sometimes rattle. Do you have any pics for reference on the heatshield?

an oil pan heat shield? ill have to check that out. if i jack up the front end nice and high is it easily accesible?

the one im talking about is mounted to "can" object so to speak thats mounted right before the stock sleeve that the inlet pipe mounts into. is that my catalytic converter?

Vehicles
      Sean's Mom :)
      06-10-2008 01:02 AM #6
      the center exhaust hanger?

you can have that re-welded.

but a better fix is getting a 2.5-3" screw clamp, slide over and tighten down.

I <3 C.O.R.T.
      LOA Member: #16

Vehicles
      06-10-2008 01:06 AM #7
      Quote, originally posted by TheRedMouse »
      the center exhaust hanger?

you can have that re-welded.

but a better fix is getting a 2.5-3" screw clamp, slide over and tighten down.

its not the hanger. what im trying to describe is before that even. ill have to get a pic tomorrow. but anyway, ive had my gf get the rattle to sound in neutral when i was laying beside the car and its definitely coming for further up the car than that. ill have to check out that oil pan shield, never looked @ that yet. i just dont get why itd only sound at 2k and 3k rpms. unless its my catalytic converter...

Vehicles
      Sean's Mom :)
      06-10-2008 01:21 AM #8
      just something else to check when your down there...

take a rubber malet or dead blow hammer and tap on the cat converter, sometimes the insides will get blown apart and rattle around.

I <3 C.O.R.T.
      LOA Member: #16

9. 06-10-2008 03:14 AM #9
      when i had that issue, my mechanic did it for free, really only took like 5 min. piece of cake. Just bring it to any mechanic, it is a common, easy fix.

10. Member
      Vehicles
      90 gli, 06 rubicon
      06-10-2008 04:46 AM #10
      when i lowered my car....my heat shield stopped rattling, i dont get it, but it works for me lol. maybe if you lower your car more your will stop

Vehicles
      06-10-2008 07:27 AM #11
      Quote, originally posted by minionkid256 »
      when i lowered my car....my heat shield stopped rattling, i dont get it, but it works for me lol. maybe if you lower your car more your will stop

not a bad idea but im already pretty much as low as i want to be for my daily driver. maybe i can stop by my mech on fri and see if he'll at least offer to find the problem for me if i look under a bit more throughout the week and still cant come across the culprit.

12. 10-27-2009 03:52 PM #12
      I had the same problem on my jetta, it was the oil pan heat shield clips, they break apparently. It was 5 bucks for the part, just get it done on your next oil change.

Vehicles
      2001 Mojave GTI GLX
      10-27-2009 03:58 PM #13
      The heat shield above the cat can come loose, they are held on by these threaded posts, the washer that pushes onto the post can become corroded and wont hold on anymore, a zip tie around the post fixes it.
      "Turning right in fifth gear from the left hand lane into the wrong end of a one-way street while indicating left, if at all."
      All the custom, none of the cool.
      "Trying to be the cool kid is so cool." - MkIV Scene

Vehicles
      10-29-2009 03:14 PM #14
      Quote, originally posted by norman18 »
      I had the same problem on my jetta, it was the oil pan heat shield clips, they break apparently. It was 5 bucks for the part, just get it done on your next oil change.

turns out this was my exact problem too, 1 of the clips/pins and its rubber grommet went bad. soooo happy to have it gone, cant believe i put up with it as long as i did.

15. 12-11-2009 04:51 PM #15
      I have a 2010 Jetta Wolfsburg which is 2 months old, and has less than 2000 miles. My car is in the shop as I type this post. The tech at VW told me they couldn't hear a rattle between 2k and 3k rpm, however heard the noise of the resonator. I guess that makes sense but never thought about it, and to be honest, it's a poor design. I traded my G35 couple which had an exhaust note of angles to a tech on the other end of the phone saying, "that's what it's suppose to sound like."

16. n00b
      Vehicles
      99.5 MK4 VW Golf
      09-24-2014 01:11 AM #16
      Wouldn't the zip tie melt? i have this problem and like 5 of those sheet metal washers are corroded/missing. The posts are pretty well rotten as well and, i doubt new sheet metal washers would grip the thread. Does any one have a tutorial on how to replace the posts and or any other creative ways to silence the oh so annoying rattle?

17. Member
      Vehicles
      '80Rabbit, '91Golf, '98 Golf VR6(crashed), '01 Golf 1.8t(sold), 2000 Golf 12V VR6, 2003 Golf 24V VR6
      09-24-2014 10:03 AM #17
      yes, they get old and wear out. Go to VW and buy a bag of them. $1 ea.
      TomJV

Vehicles
      mk5 and cx-5 /ex mk4 owner
      09-24-2014 10:55 AM #18
      A beer cap works just fine

Sent from Motorola Razr