Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 13 of 85 FirstFirst ... 3910111213141516172363 ... LastLast

Thread: So my Audi got booted, and this is what I'm going to do about it....discuss

Vehicles
      2005 Pontiac Sunfire, 2008 Suzuki XL-7 AWD
      06-11-2008 09:32 PM #301
      Quote, originally posted by driveareliablecar »
      HOA are no different than most code departments if you look at it realistically you HOA rules should mimic some town rules. They are not the scary devil.

I dunno, from my own personal experiences with the city codes enforcement officers and others with HOA's, the codes people are far more reasonable.
      My kids like me!

Vehicles
      2013 The Beetle, 2009 Genuine Stella 2T
      06-11-2008 09:36 PM #302
      what they need to do is make the pass a small discreet sticker, problem solved. i've lived in several apartment complexes that required parking permits, one was a pass you hung on the rearview mirror, but it was very small and only had a number displaying your numbered parking spot, not the name of the complex. another was a small sticker you put in the rear window, much like a beach sticker or a college campus sticker, again only with a number on it. another complex had nothing, and basically just towed if they got a call that someone was in their spot.
      i DID live in a trailer park that only allowed guests to park on the internal "streets" in the park, i parked on the street every single day and never heard a thing from anyone. really i think they only did anything if a neighbor complained, and i guess nobody cared.

I my crazy dachshund

Vehicles
      '08 135i, '00 4runner, '85 Huntsman (Toyota) RV
      06-11-2008 09:38 PM #303
      Quote, originally posted by driveareliablecar »
      HOA are no different than most code departments if you look at it realistically you HOA rules should mimic some town rules. They are not the scary devil.

BS! Considering your location you're probably one of the idiots that make the rules in the first place.
      What town has ever outlawed pickup trucks?
      What town has ever outlawed cars with signs on them?
      What town has ever outlawed vehicles more than 10 years old?
      What town tells you you can't hang clothes outside to dry?
      What town tells you what color you can paint your house?
      I know of several HOAs that do exactly those things.

Vehicles
      99.5 Golf TDI 2dr, 92 Miata, 11 TerraTrike Path 8
      06-11-2008 09:43 PM #304
      I do believe Granville, OH requires you to get a zoning permit to make any exterior modifications to your home, including repainting, and it must preserve the historic look of the village.

Vehicles
      06-11-2008 09:48 PM #305
      certain areas of my town require you to get approval on any exterior modification to your house because they're historical areas. it's probably not an issue, these people live in $2 million 300 year old houses, i doubt they want to paint them lime green or anything.

I my crazy dachshund

Vehicles
      2013 Golf TDI
      06-11-2008 09:50 PM #306
      Quote, originally posted by WhiteRat »
      But the OP can claim his permit WAS displayed when his car was booted. His mere possession of the permit makes it likely that he does display it. Though one could argue the fact that his car was booted is evidence that he didn't but who is to say that an overzealous employee of the booting company inadvertantly "missed" the permit and booted the car in an eager attempt to earn his company another $140.

this.
      this would most likely be your best defense if it gets nasty.

Vehicles
      2005 Pontiac Sunfire, 2008 Suzuki XL-7 AWD
      06-11-2008 09:52 PM #307
      Quote, originally posted by bhtooefr »
      I do believe Granville, OH requires you to get a zoning permit to make any exterior modifications to your home, including repainting, and it must preserve the historic look of the village.

FWIW, Santa Fe, NM has requirements that most buildings keep with the "pueblo" look.
      Santa Fe is also full of stinky hippies.
      My kids like me!

Vehicles
      Is300
      06-11-2008 10:04 PM #308
      Quote, originally posted by 54-46 »
      That's a pretty hefty assumption. Maybe the driver was new, maybe the driver thought he was no longer a resident and visiting, maybe the driver really just wants to follow the rules that his company set forth and so he can continue to collect a paycheck.
      The boot company contracted to the HOA to enforce the rules that the HOA and the OP agreed to, for better or for worse.
      This is funny, and ends with smiles all around if he takes 'em off, waits a week or two and then calls the booters to come pick their boots up out of his garage.
      Anything other than that will probably end up with lawyers and headaches, regardless of who wins.
      But, carry on.. Coz its comedy gold.

i think you assume that this booting company has a lot of rotating staff or a high rate of turnover. im faily sure you need about 6 people altogether to run one of those....
      but carry on indeed with the thread
      Ferrari Scuderia 2012 - "The people who speak badly about me then tremble and cry when they want to have their picture taken with me” - F. Alonso
      Now recruiting for IT/financial/accounting/creative services in fairfield county and metro nyc, pm if interested

Vehicles
      06-11-2008 10:05 PM #309
      Quote, originally posted by fknlo »
      this.
      this would most likely be your best defense if it gets nasty.

probably is, but i think at this point it might be too late. generally being reasonable about these things gets you far.
      i got a ticket one night when my street was full and i parked in the parking lot at the baseball field down the street, along with about 40 other cars, something i had done many times in the past. in the morning, every single one had a ticket on the window. i got to work, opened it up expecting it to be like $15 or something. $77. i called my mother from work, she went over and looked the parking lot up and down, there's NO signs anywhere about not parking there at night, overnight, dusk until dawn, ANYTHING. so i went to the police department, and they said just ignore the ticket. i still wonder how many people paid it.

I my crazy dachshund

Vehicles
      1990 E30 M3
      06-11-2008 10:11 PM #310
      I think that you should take several photos of the car with the boots on from various angles. Make them well lit, high res shots. Post those pics here. Then let the photoshoppers have at it and place the car in various locations throughout the world. Paris, Washington DC, Lebanon, Japan, Great Wall of China... all with the boots in place.
      Print the pics. Mail them one at a time to the HOA with no explanation.
      One day, leave a box with the twisted remains of the broken boots on the doorstep of the HOA president. Leave a note of explanation that says something like: "While crossing the border into Tibet, the border guards took exception to the boots on the car and, according to my translator/sherpa/guide, stated that such devices were illegal and prohibited from the country. When they were told that we could not removed them as removal was illegal in my home country. They smiled and said, again according to my translator, 'You are very very far from your country. Be glad that we offer this service for free instead of imprisoning you.' At which point they removed the boots using their rifles. Sorry about that."
      --Measure with mike, mark with chalk, cut with axe, pound to fit, paint to match

11. 06-11-2008 10:14 PM #311
      Quote, originally posted by justanotherusername »

What town has ever outlawed vehicles more than 10 years old?

WHY?

Vehicles
      06-11-2008 10:16 PM #312
      Quote, originally posted by JimmyGolf »
      WHY?

because old "clunkers" would make the neighbors' houses less appealing.

I my crazy dachshund

Vehicles
      99.5 Golf TDI 2dr, 92 Miata, 11 TerraTrike Path 8
      06-11-2008 10:16 PM #313
      Older vehicles = cheap, cheap = lower property value.

14. 06-11-2008 10:18 PM #314
      WHY?

it makes the neighborhood "look bad" and decreases re-sale value of the homes.

15. Member The A1 and A2 German's Avatar
      Vehicles
      Sonoma S-15, Mark 3 Caddy, Audi A4, 71 CL175, 71 CB350, 69 Stinger, V-Twin Chopper, A4 SC'd Avant,
      06-11-2008 10:19 PM #315
      UPDATE KIDDIES!

Yeah, it's the one parked the in the middle, come get-em.
      [IMG][/IMG]

YOU TALKING TO ME?
      [IMG][/IMG]
      EDIT: I figured I'd add some text so I'm not leaving everyone hanging. So here's the deal, as much as I'd like, and easy as it would be to remove the boots with my professional angle grinder it is against the law. It's not that I respect the law or generally even care about it , (I respect laws of humanity, not dumping oil, animals, etc, and therefor), but breaking the law is just going to turn nightmare. Not that I wouldn't, it's cutting them off isn't worth ~$1,500 or whatever amount they toss. They also photograph your car (with plate) during the citation, so I'm more then just a piece of paper floating around in someones citation book.
      The boot company is left in the dark , they don't know wtf is going on, haven't told them squat. Remember, I don't need to drive the Audi, as a matter of fact I was supposed to be putting her on blocks the day it got booted for work and keeping it that way.
      The HOA doesn't know it's gone , however, someone I'm somewhat cool with before this went down I convinced to get on the board and is on there now saw the Audi on dollies and did call me about it. So.....is he going to rat me out?
      So I called the HOA Community manger, and keep in mind this is not actually the HOA booting cars but a contractor...errrrr......wait a minute........Hitler didn't do any of the killing himself......not responsible......some one else did it....she's off the hook....oh wait, no, and, ....duh..duh...duh...I have a private meeting not only with her but the whole HOA board , who for all I know, know nothing about the dollies.

-Blake Edwards, it's come to our attention you've some how managed to place your Audi in the garage, why did you do that?
      -I had to vacuum the carpet.

Modified by The A1 and A2 German at 9:02 PM 6-11-2008
      FS:Custom '73 CB350 Museum Piece, 8 miles FS:3 Piece I-Forged 19" Rims
      FS:Custom '69 Stinger: SOLD FS:10' VTWIN Chopper SOLD :

16. 06-11-2008 10:20 PM #316
      So I wouldn't be allowed to keep a 1998 VW New Beetle on my property. Despite the fact it looks EXACTLY LIKE A 2008 New Beetle?
      Or that 993 Porsche that is worth five times as much as the brand new Aveo across the street?

Modified by JimmyGolf at 7:21 PM 6-11-2008

17. 06-11-2008 10:22 PM #317
      This thread is Epic, call the boot company and post what they say.

Vehicles
      06-11-2008 10:28 PM #318
      So I wouldn't be allowed to keep a 1998 VW New Beetle on my property. Despite the fact it looks EXACTLY LIKE A 2008 New Beetle?
      Or that 993 Porsche that is worth five times as much as the brand new Aveo across the street?

they're probably lenient with these, if the car is clearly OLD (ie: disrepair, rust, banged up) they'll give you crap. if you have a 1995 in the same typical shape of a 2005, they probably won't bother you. it sounds like one of those rules they can enforce when they want, like the rules in my complex about no kids at the pool after 3pm (when they're getting out of school) nobody enforced it until they cause problem.
      and regarding classics, there's gotta be some sort of exception. i think rules that strict only appear in VERY high end areas, the type of places that people are trading in their BMW on a new one every two years anyways.

I my crazy dachshund

Vehicles
      '00 XJ, '08 N* SRX4 (hers), '70 Beetle (rusty and parked)
      06-11-2008 10:28 PM #319
      I'm disappointed to see that the boots are more or less still installed (although I'm trying to figure out how the one on the front wheel works, since it doesn't really have much room to work in on the back side of the wheel).

20. Member
      Vehicles
      01 GMC Sonoma
      06-11-2008 10:29 PM #320
      This pic + a ransom note for the boots. [IMG]http://**********************/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG]
      Quote, originally posted by The A1 and A2 German »
      YOU TALKING TO ME?
      [IMG][/IMG]

21. 06-11-2008 10:30 PM #321
      hahaha awesome!! Please record if you call them... put it on youtube.
      GLi : M3 : CX5
      OSD#2

Vehicles
      06-11-2008 10:30 PM #322
      Quote, originally posted by blue70beetle »
      I'm disappointed to see that the boots are more or less still installed (although I'm trying to figure out how the one on the front wheel works, since it doesn't really have much room to work in on the back side of the wheel).

they go across both wheels on the axle, so the rear left looks like the front right, and the front left looks like the rear right.
      those are some crazy freaking boots, i've never seen ones like that before.

I my crazy dachshund

23. 06-11-2008 10:33 PM #323
      Here is the company's website:
      http://www.arizonaparking.com
      Come on, Car Lounge, make me proud!

24. 06-11-2008 10:47 PM #324

From the Company FAQ:
      Quote, originally posted by Arizona Parking »
      Q. What happens if I remove the boot myself?
      A. Any attempt to remove our immobilization boots may result in criminal prosecution as well as civil litigation. Also, any person that attempts to remove an immobilization boot will lose their parking privileges and their vehicle(s) may be impounded at any time while on the property.

**** THAT!!!!!!
      OSD#2

25. 06-11-2008 10:50 PM #325
      Also says
      Quote, originally posted by Arizona Parking »

Q. Who determines the enforcement for my property?
      A. Arizona Parking Solutions simply executes the enforcement guidelines for the property that are established by the management team or the homeowners association. We do not create the rules or the enforcement guidelines, we simply follow the instructions that we are given. Every property owner has the right to enforce the parking rules as they see fit.
      OSD#2

Page 13 of 85 FirstFirst ... 3910111213141516172363 ... LastLast