Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 17 of 85 FirstFirst ... 71314151617181920212767 ... LastLast

Thread: So my Audi got booted, and this is what I'm going to do about it....discuss

1. Member
      Vehicles
      Pale yellow Christmas Packard.
      06-12-2008 12:35 PM #401
      Why not put a tarp over the caddy? My daddid that with quite a few cars and the (township in this case) could only speculate. Unless, of course, they trespassed, which is illegal.
      Man...sacrifices his health in order to make money. Then he sacrifices money to recuperate his health. And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived. - Tenzin Gyatso

Vehicles
      2008 Mini Cooper S Clubman, 2006 Forester, 1972 BMW 2002tii, 93 W124 gone to the glue factory
      06-12-2008 12:35 PM #402
      Thank God we have normal neighborhoods here in CT. Besides the fact that I despise subdivision homes (no offense, folks) I would never, ever be able to stand any kind of HOA or Condo Association... I have a difficult time dealing with that type of manufactured authority.
      I just can't understand why anyone would choose to be nannied and nagged just so they can live in a pre-planned "neighborhood". The neighborhoods that I grew up in (including the one I still live in) were great, safe places to be. Having a couple of nosy neighbors was enough to keep the place safe. We are perfectly capable of managing ourselves, thank you very much.
      Again, no offense to those who have made the choice- I'm sure there are benefits for some people, otherwise they wouldn't exist... but Nazi camp livin' ain't for me!
      Classicmotoringllc.com - my new brokerage and consulting business based out of a lavishly converted first floor bedroom in Allentown, PA. I am always looking for quality enthusiast cars to consign, research projects or consultation opportunities. Keep an eye on my page as you can see my blabberings about cars and other such junk in the blog section!

Vehicles
      2005 Pontiac Sunfire, 2008 Suzuki XL-7 AWD
      06-12-2008 12:37 PM #403
      Quote, originally posted by ExklusivVR6 »
      Here's the irony - I chose this house because of the HOA. My old 'hood was starting to resemble a trailerpark where nobody spoke english and the the trailers were replaced with $250K homes. We had a crazy real estate boom here in PHX.. sub prime lending and inflated home values meant anyone could "move on up" so my old neighborhood turned into little mexico.. complete with f'd up cars in the streets, neighbors with 70's RV's parked in their driveways ect ect.. I had to get out.. but the good thing was my new house is located in an "upscale" lake front community. It was purchased by a "California Real Estate Investor" just before the balloon popped. he tried to rent it for about 14 months and then he went into default. I got it for a song ... I love the neighborhood but my neighbors suck. I've chosen the path of least resistance.. never bring my boat home and make sure it's I never violate the rules..

So you traded poor Mexicans you didn't like for rich white people you don't like. Sounds like a wiener!
      My kids like me!

Vehicles
      My other VW is a WVW-W TDI, and the other one is a Vento
      06-12-2008 12:37 PM #404
      Quote, originally posted by KTOOLNIN »
      I've gotta stop reading these HOA related threads before my freakin' head explodes.

· ·we're only gonna die for our own arrogance that's why we might as well take our time...
      · · /
      · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · On a long enough timeline, the survival rate for everyone drops to Ø

5. Senior Member
      Vehicles
      91 GTI 1.8t, 07 Rabbit
      06-12-2008 12:38 PM #405
      my piece of sh t neighbor (everyone has one) who seemingly doesn't have a job and happens to be on the board for my HOA called in the violation and then proceeded to take pictures and write everything she could. I actually got 4 notices.. one for the boat, one for the Caddy, one for weeds - you can see them in the second pic - yes those tiny ones against the house.. one for something else that I can't remember.

Oh man.....that would be a declaration of war with me. Make sure you are well within all the guidelines and write her up for everything you can. Don't let the system work you, work the system and see if you can't petition to get her kicked off the HOA board.
      Quote Originally Posted by VikingVR6GTI View Post
      Yep, that was my first thought too. A nice set does not automatically make a chick attractive. Especially when that "chick" is a dude.

Vehicles
      2000 Audi TTq
      06-12-2008 12:40 PM #406
      Quote, originally posted by jeff1234 »
      All you need now is to link this to Fark.

I'd submit it, but it will never get greenlighted there.
      /TotalFarker.
      Never underestimate the stopping power of a tree.

7. Banned
      06-12-2008 12:42 PM #407
      Quote, originally posted by WhiteRat »
      So you traded poor Mexicans you didn't like for rich white people you don't like. Sounds like a wiener!

I'd rather my neighbors park their 07 M5 or 07 SRT-8 in front of my house instead of a 1992 LeBaron GTC with a shredded top held together with duct tape.

8. Member
      Vehicles
      Pale yellow Christmas Packard.
      06-12-2008 12:44 PM #408
      Quote, originally posted by geofftii2002 »
      Thank God we have normal neighborhoods here in CT. Besides the fact that I despise subdivision homes (no offense, folks) I would never, ever be able to stand any kind of HOA or Condo Association... I have a difficult time dealing with that type of manufactured authority.

It is not always that bad, and sometimes necessary. I am the vp on my HOA board (shhh, don't tell the others) and we have a fair amount of crap from owners. Everyone wants stuff and does not want to participate. People love to complain but don't want to effect change. Many people who complain about there HOA should seek office (you mean I have to do something other than whine!?) or at the least attend board meetings. Also, most people complaining about HOA's here are apparently not members of one
      Man...sacrifices his health in order to make money. Then he sacrifices money to recuperate his health. And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived. - Tenzin Gyatso

Vehicles
      06-12-2008 12:45 PM #409
      I'd rather my neighbors park their 07 M5 or 07 SRT-8 in front of my house instead of a 1992 LeBaron GTC with a shredded top held together with duct tape.

I've seen people park new cars in my ghetto neighborhood and have seen duct taped LeBarons parked in the driveways of the HOA golf club neighborhoods. Go figure.
      My kids like me!

Vehicles
      06-12-2008 12:46 PM #410
      Quote, originally posted by 2Cor »
      Also, most people complaining about HOA's here are apparently not members of one

Probably because we learned from others mistakes.
      My kids like me!

06-12-2008 12:46 PM #411
      Here's the irony - I chose this house because of the HOA. My old 'hood was starting to resemble a trailerpark where nobody spoke english and the the trailers were replaced with $250K homes. We had a crazy real estate boom here in PHX.. sub prime lending and inflated home values meant anyone could "move on up" so my old neighborhood turned into little mexico.. complete with f'd up cars in the streets, neighbors with 70's RV's parked in their driveways ect ect.. I had to get out.. but the good thing was my new house is located in an "upscale" lake front community. It was purchased by a "California Real Estate Investor" just before the balloon popped. he tried to rent it for about 14 months and then he went into default. I got it for a song ... I love the neighborhood but my neighbors suck. I've chosen the path of least resistance.. never bring my boat home and make sure it's I never violate the rules..

Just curious...Since you can't see the Caddy from any angle unless you are actually on your property, can you bust the douche neighbor for trespassing?

06-12-2008 12:54 PM #412
      Quote, originally posted by Cubster »
      As much fun as this has been and me pulling for you to come out victorious...I can't see it ending well.

+1. Good luck tho! [IMG]http://**********************/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG]

13. Banned
      06-12-2008 12:54 PM #413
      Quote, originally posted by EpicVW »
      Just curious...Since you can't see the Caddy from any angle unless you are actually on your property, can you bust the douche neighbor for trespassing?

I brought that up in my conversation with the manager of the community which is why I think they dropped the issue.

14. 06-12-2008 01:22 PM #414
      Thread is officially legendary when OP does one of the following with boots:

and/or

15. 06-12-2008 01:24 PM #415
      In to keep track.
      I thought of the Simpsons NYC episode too, and the thread about the Civic leaving its wheel (used its spare) ....

Vehicles
      2013 The Beetle, 2009 Genuine Stella 2T
      06-12-2008 01:27 PM #416
      Quote, originally posted by lago_b »

hahahah i was going nuts looking for pictures of that last night!

I my crazy dachshund

17. 06-12-2008 01:31 PM #417
      Quote, originally posted by kitty »
      hahahah i was going nuts looking for pictures of that last night!

Hehe. I was going nuts all morning ripping the episode and learning how to make animated GIFs from it. But it was worth it. Especially if the OP takes a jackhammer to his car as a result

Vehicles
      08 NS Capital, 04+ Bianchi Pista, 06 Transition Dirtbag
      06-12-2008 01:57 PM #418
      ExclusivVR6, they should write you up for having such an ugly-ass backyard
      no grass?
      just my two cents about HOA's. Its not like there's no middle ground between the perfectly maicured houses and completely downtrodden neighbourhoods.
      Where I grew up in Colorado, we didn't have a HOA. Sure some of the houses were not in the best of conditions, but as a whole, as long as you take a look at the neighbourhood before you move in and make sure its not a drug haven or whatnot, chances are you aren't going to have problems.
      We dont have all that crap with no cars on the streets, but then again, we have really wide streets....to the point where cars parked on either side results in a road where two cars can still pass. and, if you have a problem with neighbours, you actually go talk to them, instead of hiding behind the HOA.
      Case in point, we live on a corner. Our neighbour parks his work van on the corner, no biggie, and when I got my car, a simple request to move the van, and he hasn't parked there since. No hostility, and you get the added benefit of actually knowing your neighbours!
      Plus, no limits on cars means my other neighbour has interesting cars in the backyard, covered and can't be seen from the street.
      no monthly dues either!
      Cupcake - Team My Little Pony

Vehicles
      90 Corrado G60, 14 CC Highline
      06-12-2008 02:10 PM #419
      Hehe. I was going nuts all morning ripping the episode and learning how to make animated GIFs from it. But it was worth it. Especially if the OP takes a jackhammer to his car as a result

Well done sir. This is the first thing I thought of too.
      And to the OP: fight the powaa!

Vehicles
      2010 Golf TDI 4DR MT6 SB 1989 AW11 MR2 4AGE 150whp 2250lbs
      06-12-2008 02:50 PM #420

and/or

LMAO!
      This is too much! Bwaahahahahaha!

21. 06-12-2008 02:53 PM #421
      Quote, originally posted by 2Cor »
      Why not put a tarp over the caddy? My daddid that with quite a few cars and the (township in this case) could only speculate. Unless, of course, they trespassed, which is illegal.

Unfortunately, tarps can be pretty ugly and if there's a rule about the presence of such a vehicle vs. the visibility of such a vehicle, it might not help anyway.
      I'm thankful for HOAs for communities that are attached living units or very, very close living units (provided that HOAs also don't get out of control and truly want to serve the community and not the whim of just a few people who want the community to be their way). The default expectation is that in an attached-living community, you are too easily set up to be a victim to a noisy or unruly neighbor and a HOA makes a helluva lot of sense. Also makes sense because with attached living, any unfortunate incident that befalls your neighbor (fire, flood from a busted pipe, etc.) could very quickly become your problem and it's nice to have a HOA to deal with insuring the structure (usually the case with attached living).
      HOAs for communities that are detached living where there's a pretty large and clear area of land around each living unit that could be perceived as a yard, individual driveways, etc....I'm not sure I see the benefit or wisdom of having a HOA there, especially when having a home with a yard leads to your initial expectation that you should be able to do what you want with your yard, vehicles, etc. and that the space around your living unit should be enough to distance you from your neighbor, making HOAs in such communities a bit I don't think I'd actually want to be in such a community.

22. Member
      Vehicles
      2014 GTI, 2012 Beetle
      06-12-2008 02:56 PM #422
      I just can't understand why anyone would choose to be nannied and nagged just so they can live in a pre-planned "neighborhood". The neighborhoods that I grew up in (including the one I still live in) were great, safe places to be. Having a couple of nosy neighbors was enough to keep the place safe. We are perfectly capable of managing ourselves, thank you very much.
      Again, no offense to those who have made the choice- I'm sure there are benefits for some people, otherwise they wouldn't exist... but Nazi camp livin' ain't for me!

Agreed. [IMG]http://**********************/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG]
      I'm happy knowing I'd never have to deal with this type of BS.
      Waiting on a update.
      We all talk with knives.

Vehicles
      89 Jetta Carat 16v
      06-12-2008 03:48 PM #423
      In for the outcome
      Nobody | Cares | About | Your | Mods

Quote Originally Posted by b-VW View Post
      coils show you have balls, air shows you have a wenis.

06-12-2008 03:48 PM #424
      I've posted it before, but here it again for everyone. This happened in April 2004. I noticed a guy studying the boot on his Elantra at the corner of 37th St and 5th Ave. He popped his trunk and out came the jack and tire iron. The old guy standing there was probably cheering him on. He took the booted wheel off, swapped it out with the spare, then drove off into the sunset. This guy was FAST and did it all in less than 5 minutes.

Haunted Car Stories MEGA THREAD!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by JuniperMonkeys
      I'm not entirely comfortable with this blood-soaked celery, but I'll eat it anyway. Of all the evidence I've eaten though, I like KNIFE.

25. 06-12-2008 03:58 PM #425

That's a reason why I am returning to RI.
      Quote »

In some states, like Florida, it has become a way of life. Every planned neighborhood has an HOA. Most residential open land has to be developed here, hence, everyone purchases in a planned neighborhood. Also, people here live in fear because of the crime rates, and think the gate will protect them.
      Also, people in FL used to take rights to the extreme. The first house I lived in had a one acre lot. In that neighborhood (non-HOA), you could often see boats, project cars, sheds that don't match, sheds that are 1600 ft^2, etc. Some people really get turned off by this. They apparently don't subscribe to the idea of land ownership. House prices there aren't high, but they are stable. Mainly because of the amount of land.
      Land. That is the real reason for the HOA. New neighborhoods exist with ridiculously small lot sizes (5000 square feet with a 3000 ft^2 house). Because of these lots, people are basically right on top of one another. Since "out-of-sight, out-of-mind" becomes a difficult concept, HOA's legislate a ton of appearance ordinances.
      Oddly enough, moving to Rhode Island will do three things in regards to home ownership that seem counterintuitive.
      -Larger lot size (in the smallest state)
      -Lower taxes (in the land of social taxation)
      -Lower investment
      -Lower crime (this isn't really counterintuitive, it has to do with socio-economic structure and demographic background)
      As mentioned in earlier posts, the best long-term solution is to get involved if you have no choice. I have been on boards of directors and even served as president in other groups because I wanted to create long term solutions. HOAs focus on short-term issues and have self-fulfilling prophecies that seems to negate many positives. Mainly, they create high turnover, which really doesn't help people build equity in their home, and really is detrimental to long term price levels.
      Unfortunately, those of us who love cars and sometimes have projects that can't be done in the garage easily and sometimes take more than 30 minutes are left to suffer. There are solutions, but many of those cost a lot of money, such as renting storage and garage space. Just think if an HOA outlawed scrapbooking or pilates/yoga/milf-screwing-the-trainer types of exercise. All of those 30-50 year old women would probably commit multiple homicides.

Page 17 of 85 FirstFirst ... 71314151617181920212767 ... LastLast