Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: the 096/01m internal harness DIY...enjoy!

Vehicles
      '96 Cabrio VR6T, '97 Jetta VR6T (rip)
      07-04-2009 11:19 AM #106
      So i did a solenoid change (n89) after my 01m was going into limp, but shifted fine when the code was cleared out.

also changed the filter and fluid obviously.

I Started the car and had 14 codes and all were related to the trans, codes for all solenoids came up. cleared them and took the car around the block and it still feels like its somewhat in limp mode, it doesnt wanna shift right. what could be the deal here?

2. 07-04-2009 12:50 PM #107
      throttle adaptation? sounds like the only thing missing.
      '11 Routan SE (black), '01 Jetta GLX VR6 5spd (silver)
      FE ///Motorsports VCDS Hex-Can, if you need help.

Vehicles
      07-04-2009 04:19 PM #108
      how do i do that? isnt that something that it should do on its own? it feels like it hasnt learned the shift points or something

4. 07-04-2009 06:28 PM #109
      no. clearing codes wont adapt the tb. that is separate. u can do it with vagcom or the manual way (key on, hold gas pedal 10 sec, key off, start car, touch nothing, wait 5 min, drive ) if that doesnt work, then we gotta make sure all codes (ecu and tcu) are gone. report back

Vehicles
      07-05-2009 02:31 PM #110
      I tried doing the manual thing like 3 times before clearing the codes out. i disconnected the batt. for a few mins too. why would the TB randomly need readapting? and what does that have to do with the way it shifts?

6. 07-05-2009 09:55 PM #111
      Great post !!
      I have a 2001 Beetle 2.0 auto trans. It will not shift into third unless youback off throttle. Trans shifts well in all other positions and aspects. Yes I reset with key on and throttle to floor. No codes. No engine light. I replaced the third gear solenoid. Did not help Next I am going to Ohm the harness at the connector.
      Any othe rbright ideas?
      Thansk in advance,
      pwcdoc in Vegas

7. 07-06-2009 06:16 PM #112
      on obd2, the tb is tied in with the tcu. shift points and such are tps regulated. i cant explain it beyond this, but i do know for a fact that anytime tcu codes are cleared, tb must be reset. bentley indicates this also, among other things, when to reset tb. tranny is one of them. disconnecting battery clears ecu, not tcu. resetting tb will also clear tcu manually (2 birds, 1 stone).

8. 07-06-2009 07:44 PM #113
      man this transmissions sucks! now i have slips in second and fourth and sometimes it feels like slipping in D when engage first,

9. 07-06-2009 11:29 PM #114
      no codes? fresh fluid, good level?

10. 07-07-2009 01:07 AM #115
      no codes, i change the fluid a month ago and the level is ok

11. 07-07-2009 03:28 AM #116
      Always appreciate everyone's time and input.
      Thanks again Rychas1.
      Ohm values for the harness is all within specs except the TFT Sensor. Which is at 164.8 instead of 190K-200K. Temp does not seem to affect the way it shifts. Does not change after warm up. I have reset manually a few times now. Car seems to be a little pepier, but no change in trans. I know shifts are also controlled by pressure. So is this a Valve body issue/ or is it the clutch pack?
      Thanks in advance again for any and all input.
      I will tell uoi a little history of the car. I picked it up a couple of weeks ago, and it had been overheated due to failure of the waterpump of course. Although seller did not tell me this. I discovered this on the way home. No biggie just kept AC on and it did not overheat.
      I have heard that overheating can and does cause auto trans problems due to shared cooling design. Why VW did this remains a mystery.
      Whatcha think?
      pwcdoc in vegas!! And yes, it is hot as HELL!

12. 07-08-2009 04:02 PM #117
      Anything I do, does not change this obviously mechanical issue. I do not know if you read my post. But OHM values are within specs for the internal harness at the connector, except the TFT Sensor. 164.8K instead of 190K-200K called for. Valve Body? Clutch Pack??
      Thanks again,
      Pwcdoc in Vegas

13. 07-08-2009 04:36 PM #118
      sorry i couldnt reply sooner. honestly, i dont know about the clutch pack. valvebody possibly, yes. and that doesnt always throw a code either. it could use a good cleaning. see royer25's DIY. u could always just swap a known good tcu and see if any changes occur. the mk4 may have more ecu/tcu integration than the earlier cars, from what ive heard. u may have to reset them together at the same time (ecu and tcu) and then see what happens.

so recap..
      1. ecu/tcu reset at the same time
      2. tb adaptation with vagcom (many people forget this critical step)
      3. swap good know tcu and see if any changes
      4. new internal harness (since temp sensor is not reading to spec)
      5. clean valvebody
      6. reset tcu to default settings after every single change!

and as always, report back

o, and the tft sensor is built into the harness. so either way...new harness! but check the above first.

Modified by rychas1 at 12:38 PM 7-8-2009

14. 07-08-2009 05:03 PM #119
      I always reset, new fluid and filter when I changed out N90 third gear solenoid. Harness a definate question regarding TFT Sensor, but would like to know if that would cause this or cause a fault reading and cause a type limp mode. But then I would get somekind of code thrown for TFT sensor. maybe not. ?
      I would not mind dropping the Valve body, but worry about breaking solenoid clips. Wil have some more tests run at different repair facilities. Will see if VW will diag it for a nominal fee. Hah!

15. 07-09-2009 12:48 AM #120
      yea if u have that access, definitely let them take a shot. then u know exactly what to fix. and the tft sensor may not throw a code. its in the harness!

16. 07-11-2009 10:29 PM #121
      Just an update on my Tranny. The tranny guy hade the same problem. Turns out the pan was warped. He put a new pan on and no more leak. I was happy since it wasn't something I did.

17. 07-12-2009 05:41 PM #122

18. 07-12-2009 06:49 PM #123
      I swapped out internal harness. Trans seems a little more positve, but still will not shift into third without peddling throttle.
      I did not drop valve body. Shouldhave now. I did pull all solenoids and c\hecked ohm values. All within specs. Pulled valve needles and all seem to move freely and had good spring response. I did notice on opposite side from shift solenoids, that there are a couple of plugs. are these supposed to be flush? or inset? The one directly opposite N90 seems like it might be backed out a bit. Is this spring pressure adjustment?
      Or????

19. 07-13-2009 04:38 PM #124
      any pics of this?

Vehicles
      2010/ Vw/ Golf
      07-15-2009 12:53 AM #125
      I HAVE GOT SIMILAR PROBLEM, WHEREBY MY SELECTOR INDICATOR ON THE DASHBOARD COULD NOT SELECT THE APPROPRIATE LEVER, LETS SAY SHIFTING FROM P - R, as soon as i turn the key on, the selector will moved from P - D, when i move the shift to any level. instead of it to show the various selector that the lever moved through, it stuck at D, on the dashboard.. I want to know what is causing this..

Now if i want to order for solenoid. would i be given all the 7, with the colour coding to it. i am asking this because, 5 has brown/yellow colour, while 3 has black rubber tip where you plug the harners. please, i want to know, because i really want to order for all the 7 solenoid. thank you..

pls prescribe for me which type should i order on makcontrans. where 89$ type or 26 $ .. thanks i await to hear from you..

I would like to know if the selector which display in the dashboard also has a sensor

Vehicles
      2010/ Vw/ Golf
      07-15-2009 12:58 AM #126
      I HAVE GOT SIMILAR PROBLEM, WHEREBY MY SELECTOR INDICATOR ON THE DASHBOARD COULD NOT SELECT THE APPROPRIATE LEVER, LETS SAY SHIFTING FROM P - R, as soon as i turn the key on, the selector will moved from P - D, when i move the shift to any level. instead of it to show the various selector that the lever moved through, it stuck at D, on the dashboard.. I want to know what is causing this..

Now if i want to order for solenoid. would i be given all the 7, with the colour coding to it. i am asking this because, 5 has brown/yellow colour, while 3 has black rubber tip where you plug the harners. please, i want to know, because i really want to order for all the 7 solenoid. thank you..

pls prescribe for me which type should i order on makcontrans. where 89$ type or 26 $ .. thanks i await to hear from you..

I would like to know if the selector which display in the dashboard also has a sensor

22. 07-15-2009 11:19 AM #127
      lets see if i can decipher your post.

for the solenoids...
      order 5 of these..
      http://www.bulkpart.com/Mercha...unt=0
      and order 2 of these..
      http://www.bulkpart.com/Mercha...unt=1

or just buy exactly what u need based upon the vagcom codes u get for the non-functioning solenoids.

the dash cluster gauge display is either a multifunction switch problem or a cluster problem. which exactly, im not 100% sure on, but its one of those.

Vehicles
      2010/ Vw/ Golf
      07-16-2009 07:09 PM #128
      I want to know the difference between the solenoid with white socket, and that of the brown, what does they do. differently before i must buy the white more, looking in my trans, there is no white, its all browish colour... and black 3, borwnish 4. therefore, please teach me by needed white more

Secondly i would like to know, why before, when i move my gear from P to R. i could hear the gear box, vibrate loudly, as if something is entering into something, its the only gear that gives such vibration....

Modified by forumoto at 3:12 PM 7-16-2009

24. 07-17-2009 12:48 AM #129
      Hi forumoto

I assume you have 096(01M) tranny..?
      I found a guy on ebay (electricalproductsales) that helped me a lot with solenoids. he sold me individual solenoids.
      http://stores.ebay.com/electricaladvantageinc
      At this time he has the wiring harness and set of solenoids for $259
      http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors...ories

I'm not a VW expert but I do have some info that helped me a lot with my problem which could email to you.

yyeahoo@gmail.com

25. 07-17-2009 04:35 AM #130
      Sorry for length of time passed before responding. Very busy and hot here in Vegas!
      Update on my '01 Beetle trans; Took car to smog station. Could not smog. Attendant atated that I had not put enough miles on car since last battery disconnnect. It seems you must put atleast ten miles on these cars before ECM/TCU can readapt and sense Emmission system.
      So I drove it to work and back. About ten miles each way, About two miles from home [18miles total] check engine light comes on. I plugged in OBD reader and there were two codes. Improper flow for secondary air injection, and left bank to lean. So I knew whathis meant and went for the vacuum lines to emmision vacuum mudule. Sure enough they were broken and rotted. I fixed them, did a manual reset. and next day tranny started shifting perfectly!!??
      Drove it to work a couple more times, and still working. checked for codes and there were none. Took back to smog station and it passed perfectly. I am under the impression that this third gear issue may be a limp/default mode for the emission system problem.
      The 01m does have limp modes, back up modes and auto adapting to driving condition modes throught the TCU.
      Your thoughts?
      pwcdoc

26. 07-17-2009 04:40 AM #131
      I would like to add that the auto trans modes are covered in the owners manual. It states that if there is an electrical failure , trans will limp mode in THIRD. No matter what position selector is in. Except P and R of course.

Vehicles
      85 Jetta TD sold 2001 Jetta Tdi, 2000 Jetta Tdi
      07-17-2009 03:41 PM #132
      Quote, originally posted by pwcdoc »
      I am under the impression that this third gear issue may be a limp/default mode for the emission system problem.
      The 01m does have limp modes, back up modes and auto adapting to driving condition modes throught the TCU.

The trans will not go to failsafe for engine or emission related codes. If your scanning the ECM with generic, then you may not be getting all the codes. Your trans problem is probably intermittant and its fooling you, into thinking its gone.

Next time it acts up try scanning the TCM with VAG-Com.

Auto trans fluid change or flush will not make a trans fail. Stop spreading the wives tale/urban myth.
      ASE Master Certified Technician with L1 Advanced Diagnostic Rating Recently passed ASE certification for Light Diesel repair.
      www.KansasCityTdi.com

Vehicles
      2010/ Vw/ Golf
      07-17-2009 04:54 PM #133
      Thanks very much, for the post replied by then i asked, the difference between the solenoid, which was left unanswered...

29. 07-17-2009 07:24 PM #134
      white are shift solenoids, epc are brown (or black).

30. 07-17-2009 07:25 PM #135
      i was going to say this, but u beat me to it.

Vehicles
      2010/ Vw/ Golf
      07-17-2009 08:20 PM #136
      thanks for the feed back, my boss. but you know what in my trans, i do not have white solenoid inside, all are brownish and black, therefore as you re prescribing me to buy white. would it function in replacement of the brownish..

Secondly do you know where i would get mk3 auto gear knob , either new or used

32. 07-17-2009 11:13 PM #137
      exactly, white=brown. they are both shift solenoids. black=epc.\

get a knob from ebay or vortex classifieds.

Vehicles
      07-28-2009 11:20 AM #138
      when I bought my VR6 the O1M was in limp mode. clear codes out- shifts perfect. Replaced solenoid N89 and changed fluid, no luck. car still feels stuck in 3rd gear and nothing changes when I clear the codes out.

finally got it hooked up to vag com- and these were the codes:

00264- solenoid valve 4 (N91)
      31 - 10 open or short to ground - intermittent

01192 - torque converter lock up clutch
      04 - 10 mechanical malfunction

can i get away with just changing the N91 solenoid? all the ohm values are in spec when I test the pins on the round trans plug with a multimeter

34. 07-28-2009 01:40 PM #139
      yes. n91 applies torque converter clutch. 2 birds, one stone.

Vehicles
      85 Jetta TD sold 2001 Jetta Tdi, 2000 Jetta Tdi
      07-28-2009 02:35 PM #140
      Quote, originally posted by MRosier »
      00264- solenoid valve 4 (N91)
      31 - 10 open or short to ground - intermittent

01192 - torque converter lock up clutch
      04 - 10 mechanical malfunction

can i get away with just changing the N91 solenoid? all the ohm values are in spec when I test the pins on the round trans plug with a multimeter

If it were mine I would try the n91. Its cheap enough that you can give it a try.

But.. There is a slight chance you have two problems. 01192 is common, so point being you could have the solenoid problem and another problem causing the 01192.

Auto trans fluid change or flush will not make a trans fail. Stop spreading the wives tale/urban myth.
      ASE Master Certified Technician with L1 Advanced Diagnostic Rating Recently passed ASE certification for Light Diesel repair.
      www.KansasCityTdi.com

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast