Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Cars with great steering feel

Vehicles
      1997 Miata, 2010 Prius, 2005 Grand Caravan
      06-20-2008 09:49 AM #101
      My de-powered power steering rack (so, manual - but shorter ratio than the standard manual Miata rack) is the best I've ever felt.

Vehicles
      Mazda2
      06-20-2008 09:52 AM #102
      Quote, originally posted by BryanH »
      If ANY of you say something with power steering then you need to take a trip in a car without it.
      Seriously.
      Just try it.

Most OEM manual racks are set up like the one in my Civic. The feel is as good as you say, but the slow ratio means you spend a lot of time shuffling the wheel while driving fast.
      Splinter - Team Post-Killing Ninja
      I don't practice llanteria

Vehicles
      2007 Mazda Rotary Thingy
      06-20-2008 11:05 AM #103
      1. 1991 Mazda Miata - The car had its power steering disabled. A car has NEVER felt more like a go-kart. Especially since this car was Auto-X prepped by one of the faster guys in the Rocky Mountain Region.
      2. Mitsubishi Lancer Evo VIII RS - Best power assisted steering I've experienced.
      3. everything else is a distant third.
      Notable mentions: MKV GTI, MKII Toyota MR2 Turbo, E36 M3, Porsche 944 Turbo, Ford Focus (incl. SVT), MKI and MKII CRXs. The RX-8 is okay too. The OEM tires are vague.
      be brave and be kind.

Vehicles
      '13 Suzuki Kizashi S 6MT, '12 Honda Pilot EX-L
      06-20-2008 01:16 PM #104
      Kia Spectra 5, and I'm not kidding.
      My 500px
      My flickr
      "The best way to give advice to your children is to find out what they want and then advise them to do it." - Harry S. Truman

5. Member
      Vehicles
      2002 Camaro Z28, 2006 Saturn Vue
      06-20-2008 01:38 PM #105
      i can't believe this hasn't been said yet but the 03-07 Accord. best of the mid-sizers IMO
      besides that i'll say E46 as a personal favorite. i do like the steering feel in my camaro as well. it is well weighted at all speeds. the gay steering wheel kinda kills it though

Vehicles
      the big three and a deere
      06-20-2008 01:53 PM #106
      the best i've owned up to date has to be my WRX's, very precise, closer ratio then the regular impreza's
      14 Mustang GT | 87 Buick Grand National | 37 Plymouth Coupe | 13 Focus 5door | 13 F250 XLT 6.7

Vehicles
      '02 S2000; '10 GTI; '06 LX470
      06-20-2008 02:03 PM #107
      I dont know the best, but my personal favorites have been:
      Feel: VW GTI 337 - You could run over a coin on the road and tell if it was a quarter or a nickel. It had so much feedback it was ridiculous
      Ratio: Honda S2000 - Not as much feedback as I would like, but damn it is quick. When I drive other cars, I nearly run off the raod at first because the wheel always requires a quarter to half turn more than I expect. At speed, the S2000 can make any reasonable turn without more than a 1/4 turn of wheel input.
      Good combination of both: SVT Focus - the feel, ratio, and weight are almost perfect. If it were a RWD car, it might have the perfect steering system.

Modified by fowtj at 1:04 PM 6-20-2008

Vehicles
      2008 Audi A3 S-Line
      06-20-2008 02:08 PM #108
      Quote, originally posted by FastGTi »
      R53 MINI...every other front driver sucks in comparison.

Oh come on. I have one and while, yeah, it's great. It's not the pinnacle.
      And I completely disagree with xgarage about the MKV GTI. While it's a wonderful "looking" steering wheel. It feels disconnected and vague. Especially at slower speeds.

Modified by Xymox at 2:14 PM 6-20-2008

Vehicles
      Mazda2
      06-20-2008 02:15 PM #109
      I thought the MkV GTI I drove felt great. But, thinking back, it didn't spend much time at low speeds. On a track it felt similar to the Mazda 3.
      Splinter - Team Post-Killing Ninja
      I don't practice llanteria

10. 06-20-2008 02:16 PM #110
      Quote, originally posted by J-Tim »
      A W124 Mercedes Benz cars have great steering feel to them. At any given time, you know exactly where you car is and it only takes few minutes to figure out, how much of an input needed to make a turn.

Thank you. After nearly 3 pages, I was begining to think nobody had ever driven one. I've driven lots of Mercedes, but the best "steering feel" was in a 1987 300TD. Most intuitive feel I've experienced straight from the factory. Although the design is simmilar on a W126, the larger size detracts a little. I don't find the 107 450SL as accurate as the w124 either, which I atribute to the wider tires. Every factor seems to have come together just right in the early Mercedes w124s.

I play a game with myself sometimes where I'll try to smash a paper cup or hit some other bump or object in the road with one of my front tires. In some cars I can get it right almost every time, but in others I miss more often than not.

Modified by CarLuvrSD at 12:19 PM 6-20-2008

11. 06-20-2008 02:28 PM #111
      Quote, originally posted by Xymox »
      And I completely disagree with xgarage about the MKV GTI. While it's a wonderful "looking" steering wheel. It feels disconnected and vague. Especially at slower speeds.

Quote, originally posted by AKADriver »
      I thought the MkV GTI I drove felt great. But, thinking back, it didn't spend much time at low speeds. On a track it felt similar to the Mazda 3.

i think it's the variable assist... it never seemed consistent to me. maybe it was just my car, but an early review of the passat cc said that vw has tweaked the steering to be more linear.

Vehicles
      '15 5.0, '13 Focus, '97 Wrangler, '90 Miata
      06-20-2008 02:33 PM #112

Location of this road please.
      www.leftlanenews.com
      @SSLByron, @leftlanenews
      Domestic Muscle Owners Not-So-Anonymous
      Quote Originally Posted by atomicalex View Post
      Can we just have more boob pics, please?

Vehicles
      '77 Bronco '85 Toyota 4x4 '87 930 '01 325i '08 Xterra
      06-20-2008 02:35 PM #113
      And I completely disagree with xgarage about the MKV GTI. While it's a wonderful "looking" steering wheel. It feels disconnected and vague. Especially at slower speeds. Modified by Xymox at 2:14 PM 6-20-2008

I agree. The electromechanical steering (or whatever it is called) just felt numb to me. I put 25000 miles on my MKV and the only thing positive thing I noticed about the steering was the wheel itself. The only time you could really tell what was happening was after the front tires broke loose and the steering wheel went loose in your hands.
      I hear you can adjust how much the steering is boosted with the VAG-COM software but I never played with mine.

Modified by patrickvr6 at 2:36 PM 6-20-2008
      Do you want to ride to 60 in three seconds or drive there in five?

14. 06-20-2008 02:51 PM #114
      Quote, originally posted by patrickvr6 »
      I hear you can adjust how much the steering is boosted with the VAG-COM software but I never played with mine.

iirc, only on the 06 models, which mine was. it seemed to only change effort at high speeds, so i just went back to the default. but i've always been curious about how the assist logic is programmed.

Vehicles
      2007 Mazda Rotary Thingy
      06-20-2008 03:10 PM #115

Time to get a 330i ZHP [IMG]http://**********************/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG]
      be brave and be kind.

Vehicles
      2008 Audi A3 S-Line
      06-20-2008 03:22 PM #116
      Quote, originally posted by patrickvr6 »
      The only time you could really tell what was happening was after the front tires broke loose and the steering wheel went loose in your hands.

That's exactly what I'm talking about. Usually over tight turns on hills is where I could tell what was happening (when the tires skipped a beat). This could be the fault of the OEM tires as well.

17. 06-20-2008 03:25 PM #117
      Quote, originally posted by SuperGroove »
      Time to get a 330i ZHP [IMG]http://**********************/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG]

i replaced my mk5 gti w/ an 325i zsp... good enough
      but the bimmer has it's share of german quality quirks

18. 06-20-2008 04:24 PM #118
      Quote, originally posted by qwikz28 »
      besides that i'll say E46 as a personal favorite. i do like the steering feel in my camaro as well. it is well weighted at all speeds. the gay steering wheel kinda kills it though

Vehicles
      e36M3, 14FiST, 01EVMV, 00Tundra
      06-20-2008 04:26 PM #119
      Quote, originally posted by VWestlife »

he was talking about the camaro I think

Vehicles
      04 V70R
      06-20-2008 04:42 PM #120
      Quote, originally posted by SuperGroove »
      1. 1991 Mazda Miata - The car had its power steering disabled. A car has NEVER felt more like a go-kart. Especially since this car was Auto-X prepped by one of the faster guys in the Rocky Mountain Region.
      2. Mitsubishi Lancer Evo VIII RS - Best power assisted steering I've experienced.
      3. everything else is a distant third.
      Notable mentions: MKV GTI, MKII Toyota MR2 Turbo, E36 M3, Porsche 944 Turbo, Ford Focus (incl. SVT), MKI and MKII CRXs. The RX-8 is okay too. The OEM tires are vague.

I still miss my non-PS 93 Miata.
      My e36 is nice, but I wonder if my tires are hurting some of the feel. They are new Kumho Ecsta SPTs on the stock wheels....235/45/17 (or 40...whatever stock size is). I don't have that quick turn-in like I think I should.

21. 06-20-2008 04:44 PM #121
      Quote, originally posted by enzo1187 »
      Any BMW M series.

Ever driven an E39 M5? Steering is craptastic. Heavy isn't good when there is no feedback. All others are good though.
      Best IMO were the E30, E34 and especially the E36 M cars for steering feel. The Lotus Exige is fantastic.

22. 06-20-2008 04:49 PM #122
      thats state road 446 outside of bloomington indiana near brown county state park. there's a nice lake nearby.

and really steering response and feel is SOO much better out of a mid engined platform i can't believe there are all these mentions of FR and FF cars...especially the CRX, i had a 91 CRX w/ b16a swap and that car translated decently but mainly what it was saying was "holy crap have some throttle on understeer" or "how about some torque steer now"

Blog Entries
      Vehicles
      '11 M3 ZCP; '94 SLC
      06-20-2008 05:03 PM #123
      I guess the only cars I've concentrated on steering feel are the one's I've owned. I think my mkIV 2,slow was actually a great compromise of feel and effort, not that it was tops in both categories, but it was probably one of the few dynamic highlights of the car.
      The corrado has TONS of feedback now after some mods and a proper alignment. I think it might actually have too much feedback at times on really bumpy roads. The steering effort increased significantly after the addition of the LSD. It's perfect during high speeds, but almost not enough boost in a parking lot. I used to think the steering ratio was perfect, but having driven newer cars, it's actually fairly slow to respond.
      The GTI has a great feel. For me, the effort is perfect. In a parking lot it's fantastic. In faster situations, it's very good, if not just a touch on the soft side. Steering ratio is much faster than the Corrado, so that's an improvement of sorts. And road feel is definitely reduced compared with the corrado. But, for a daily driver, who wants to feel every bump they encounter. I don't. I want to show up to a destination sort of relaxed, not with my hands shaking because the steering wheel was buzzing around over every bump. I've certainlynever experienced a situation where I had no idea what the tires were doing, those who claim otherwise are exercising a bit of hyperbole. It may not be quite as raw as a mini, miata, or s2k, but it's perfect for the purpose of the car.

24. 06-20-2008 05:20 PM #124
      Of course, as some have noted above, handling and steering feel are different things. Take the Honda S2000. Terrific handling, no steering feel. You learn, quickly, how the car responds to steering, but you don't feel it. In contrast, my 30+ year old Jensen Healey. Unremarkable Vauxhall running gear. Rack and pinion all direct connected. I think all cars back then without power steering had good feel. The car does what it's told and you can tell what it's doing throught the steering wheel. Modern cars with power steering are problematic. My Jaguar S Type R has very good steering feel. I can feel what each wheel is doing. That's a driver's car. Current BMW models don't give you that kind of information.
      The GTI doesn't have great steering feel, but fwd cars are different and difficult to appraise. In contrast, the new R32, which I also own, is a real pleasure, a real driver's car. It responds precisely to the steering wheel and you can tell what it's doing.

Vehicles
      2007 Porsche Boxster S
      06-20-2008 05:28 PM #125
      Modified by Xymox at 2:14 PM 6-20-2008

x2
      the new GTI feels disconected from the road
      maybe a little heavy feeling, but that's just artificially masking the problem

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast