Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Cars with great steering feel

1. 06-21-2008 02:15 PM #141
      after having grown up driving cavaliers, aleros, grand ams, voyagers, it was quite a pleasant surprise when I bought my prelude..
      I was like "whoa, I knew this is what driving is supposed to feel like"
      on rails

Vehicles
      '09 E90 M3
      06-21-2008 04:32 PM #142
      The steering feel in my Corrado rocked. I also think the G35 has the best feel in its class.

Vehicles
      2008 Audi A3 S-Line
      06-21-2008 07:27 PM #143
      Quote, originally posted by NCVOLKSWAGEN »
      I have to say the best steering feel had to have been on my very first ride...

4. 06-23-2008 08:38 AM #144
      Quote, originally posted by giantrobot9000 »
      My e36 is nice, but I wonder if my tires are hurting some of the feel. They are new Kumho Ecsta SPTs on the stock wheels....235/45/17 (or 40...whatever stock size is). I don't have that quick turn-in like I think I should.

the spt's are pretty good for the $$, but there are better choices out there. still, could it be somethine else? how are ur control arms + bushings?

5. 01-20-2013 10:07 PM #145
      I want to bring this thread back from the dead.

Anyone who is talking about ANY MKIV having great steering feel, I am really confused. For 8 years, I hunted for best steering feel on my MKIV. I did TT control arm bushings, did coil overs, strut bushings, all in favor of getting the best feel. I even removed the front sway bar. It was still what I considered "just good enough", way boosted in the center. It doesn't even have a variable power-steering rack.

From my understanding, what kills steering feel in new cars is more use of aluminum suspension components. They tend to transfer less vibrations. Also chassis tuned for Run Flat Tires. On my E90 328i, everything was so softened up, one part of the front control arm bushings is hydraulic instead of just ball-bearing. I am surprised to see that BMW NEVER had "vehicle speed sensitive" steering racks on 3-series', instead they have "engine speed sensitive" racks that lessen the boost as you rev higher.

I guess If you are hunting for best steering feel in a new car best is probably Porsche GT3. Older 911's if you are THAT hardcore. My best experience is E46 ZSP or M3. I am very surprised to see Mazda RX-8 popping up everywhere.

I guess any old Japanese sports car is good and well as any older car without power steering.

Vehicles
      '13 Focus, '08.5 MS3, '97 Wrangler, '90 Miata
      01-20-2013 10:13 PM #146
      Quote Originally Posted by sle39lvr View Post
      Anyone who is talking about ANY MKIV having great steering feel, I am really confused.
      If you conducted a poll here asking people to choose the best driver's car in the world, the GTI would be a frontrunner.

That is to say, take all response with a large grain of salt.
      Looking for a ratty Miata? My '90 is for sale.
      http://www.speedsportlife.com
      Quote Originally Posted by mhjett View Post
      4+ pages and at least 1 death threat in a compact-car comparison test thread - oh wait, this is TCL.

7. 01-20-2013 10:29 PM #147
      Hehe true!

I really urge these guys to drive an old E36 or E46. I don't mean sports models or anything..just base model..beaters.

After my MK4, now I am hunting for best feel on E90. I am afraid, no money will bring it close to E46 ZSP
      Last edited by sle39lvr; 01-20-2013 at 10:32 PM.

Vehicles
      B7 A4 2.0T Q MT6
      01-20-2013 10:38 PM #148
      Both Audis I have owned have had fantastic steering feel. The newer ones are a bit numb though.
      2004 Audi TT 3.2
      2007 Audi A4 2.0T

I also had a rental Citroën C4 last summer, and that had wonderful steering feel as well, for a C-segment hatch.

Vehicles
      2000 Civic D16Y7
      01-21-2013 01:49 AM #149
      I'm surprised by the steering feel in the 2011 E350 Bluetec my dad just purchased. It's not overly heavy or slow like old Benzes' steering was, but it is weightier than most new cars' steering and the effort builds naturally as you apply lock. Plus, it has great straightline stability. Unfortunately, like others, they're going to electric steering.

Vehicles
      DKW Munga
      01-21-2013 03:20 AM #150
      My Saab has pretty communicative steering for a porky front driver. It's certainly better than my Mk.III for feel.

Best I have driven for steering feel is an NA Miata on skinny, stock size tires.
      1998 VW Golf Mk.III 5dr/1989 Saab 900 Sedan/1960 Porsche 356B T5/1980 Honda CM400E

Vehicles
      2000 Civic D16Y7
      01-24-2013 03:34 PM #151
      Quote Originally Posted by BattleRabbit View Post
      My Saab has pretty communicative steering for a porky front driver. It's certainly better than my Mk.III for feel.

Best I have driven for steering feel is an NA Miata on skinny, stock size tires.
      The original Saab 9-3 ('99-'02) does have good steering feel. It gets panned for poor refinement, a sloppy gearchange and flaccid structure, but handling-wise, it's actually better than many people realize. Oddly enough, its successor improved on the bad areas but lost the one good thing about its predecessor's chassis: road feel and control feedback.

Vehicles
      The Standard of the World | Feed Your Restless
      01-24-2013 03:45 PM #152
      Quote Originally Posted by sickwrathterror View Post
      ib4e30
      damnit!
      Semper Fi | USMC '06-'14 | 0311 | 0331| 0933
      Aonarch's Blog!

Vehicles
      DKW Munga
      01-24-2013 03:53 PM #153
      Quote Originally Posted by HerrGolf View Post
      The original Saab 9-3 ('99-'02) does have good steering feel. It gets panned for poor refinement, a sloppy gearchange and flaccid structure, but handling-wise, it's actually better than many people realize. Oddly enough, its successor improved on the bad areas but lost the one good thing about its predecessor's chassis: road feel and control feedback.
      That actually came up in the M3 vs. S4 vs. Viggen vs. C63 comparison that's on here somewhere. The structure is floppy, but don't underestimate how quickly you can cover ground in a 9-3!

On all but the tightest roads I know I can push my 9-3 faster than I could my Golf(lowered for handling, not stance).
      1998 VW Golf Mk.III 5dr/1989 Saab 900 Sedan/1960 Porsche 356B T5/1980 Honda CM400E

Vehicles
      '12 GTI 2-DR
      01-24-2013 05:11 PM #154
      458 Italia.
      2015 M235i On Order | 2012 GTI MKVI | 2013 CC | 2012 A5

15. 01-24-2013 08:39 PM #155
      Quote Originally Posted by sle39lvr View Post
      I want to bring this thread back from the dead.

Anyone who is talking about ANY MKIV having great steering feel, I am really confused. For 8 years, I hunted for best steering feel on my MKIV. I did TT control arm bushings, did coil overs, strut bushings, all in favor of getting the best feel. I even removed the front sway bar. It was still what I considered "just good enough", way boosted in the center. It doesn't even have a variable power-steering rack.

From my understanding, what kills steering feel in new cars is more use of aluminum suspension components. They tend to transfer less vibrations. Also chassis tuned for Run Flat Tires. On my E90 328i, everything was so softened up, one part of the front control arm bushings is hydraulic instead of just ball-bearing. I am surprised to see that BMW NEVER had "vehicle speed sensitive" steering racks on 3-series', instead they have "engine speed sensitive" racks that lessen the boost as you rev higher.
      The aluminum components are not really an issue. The big steering-feel-killer is the calibration of the power steering assist mechanism, and the second one is the steering geometry itself. Then tires, then rubber bushings.

It's easier to find ways to make it terrible than to make it good ...

Old American cars without power steering were terrible because the recirculating-ball mechanism would not back-drive well (and they had plenty of rubber isolation bushings). For the driver to feel anything, if the wheels want to go in a different direction, the mechanism has to transmit some of that force back, and without a lot of sloppiness in the mechanism. Of course, the same cars with power steering usually had so much assistance that there was nearly zero effort at the wheel. Toyota/Lexus seems to subscribe to this school of thought to this date.

Of cars that I've driven, the best one was a first-generation Mazda Miata. Second-best was the first-generation Honda Civic (no power steering). Honda Accords were pretty good through the third generation, don't know after that. I had a rental Mazda 3, and despite the zoom-zoom hoopla, found the steering to be unremarkable. (this was a rental-spec base model ... perhaps the up-market models with better tires do better.) The current Ford Focus is decent - not quite up to the VW Golf, but pretty close.

The Mk5 Jetta that I have now is better than most others in its class - but can be criticized for being "weighted" but without as much "feel" as there could be.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345