Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 200 20vt Build

Vehicles
      '91 V8 Coupe Quattro, '97 E38iL, '97 B5A4
      05-30-2009 05:42 PM #106
      haha

its funny, i love getting all dirty to tackle any mechanical job....for what ever reason i have no patients for interior work....

journal gt4088 will go in my 80q one day...but for now she sits like this...

'13.5 GLI - daily
      '97 E38 740iL - garaged
      '91 Coupe Quattro 3.6 V8 - the build
      '91 Coupe Quattro 1.8t - For Sale
      www.hausofdub.com

Vehicles
      '91 Audi 200 20vt, E34 530i
      05-30-2009 06:48 PM #107
      Ah OK I've seen your car over on MG...but that was when I first joined last year. Its been a while since you've updated!

Journal is definitely the way to go man...

3. 05-30-2009 08:20 PM #108
      hahahahaha a year ago you would have said the opposite. good thing you learned

Vehicles
      05-30-2009 09:10 PM #109
      ya i was going to say i definitely learned the ways of Tom Sewell

Vehicles
      06-02-2009 07:36 PM #110
      (my brakes broke)

Fellow lister just sold his brakes to me (nothing has been exchanged yet, but an agreement has been arrived upon)

I get his whole bbk setup. Boxster S / Carrera Monoblock calipers, A8 rotors (american), modified hubs, and adapter brackets.

I really didn't plan on spending this kind of money...but it had to be done, so that kinda changes my plans for the car this summer. Boo freakin hoo

I'm not going to be able to spend much more on it due to the other mods I need to do just to freakin get these on lol.

I'm going to need new wheel bearings, adapters for the porsche wheels, hardware, two new tires for the wheels within a week of having them on probably....

and then wont have jack **** in my wallet. I'll spend the rest of what I have on getting an exhaust all the way back, and getting a decent tune when Kevin finishes up my ECU.

The car will be lookin' right after this though!!! Only thing is that I'll definitely want to get it lower asap because it will just be doing the car and the wheels an injustice otherwise.

Looks like the Holset is just going to have to sit pretty for a while. Hopefully I'll be able to pick up another job this summer AND a job during the fall up at school. If that all works out, it WILL be ready to go for big power in the fall.

Modified by loxxrider at 6:43 PM 6-2-2009

Vehicles
      06-03-2009 09:50 AM #111
      nice, but surprised you are going that way with the brake system.... as an fyi all a/s/rs calipers have the same mount pattern....i am going oem b6/b7 s4 brakes on my 80q.....
      '13.5 GLI - daily
      '97 E38 740iL - garaged
      www.hausofdub.com

Vehicles
      06-03-2009 02:13 PM #112
      Why are you surprised?

Its basically the cheapest option for me right now.

My rotors are toast, so pads and rotors for my UFO's are almost the same cost as going with this kit. The guy I'm buying it from is giving me a pretty good deal.

I don't know what other options I'd have that are cost effective, quick, and work decently.

Vehicles
      Corrado
      06-06-2009 11:13 PM #113
      ive always been told if you are doing the brakes just go for the big reds instead of the boxter ones.
      Quote Originally Posted by cramer View Post
      BTW: E30s are slow. How coud you want to trade one of god's chariots, the MK2 VR6, for a common place econobox?

Vehicles
      06-07-2009 02:50 PM #114
      deal was pretty dang good, so I couldn't say no especially since I needed something NOW, CHEAP, and decent working.

10. 06-07-2009 05:32 PM #115
      you don't need brakes thats what down shifting is for noob

Vehicles
      06-08-2009 06:46 PM #116
      It has been a week of audi awesomeness.

Here are things to come within the next 10 days.

Brake parts will be here friday (still need to order wheel bearings and get brake lines...any info on brake line fittings I might need and length would be greatly appreciated)

To put the brakes on, I need to put my wheels on. So I just ordered adapters from Adapt-it-usa...they were great, and it cost a grand total of ~$210 for all 4 in 26mm and 32mm thicknesses. They should be here in about 10 days, so expect to see pics of this fat goodness soon.

Also, on friday I am making a 3" exhaust all the way back.

I am soooooooooo excited for all of this!

Now I have a set of rods that I don't plan on using so if anyone wants a set of AAN rods let me know.

Vehicles
      06-10-2009 04:57 PM #117
      going with ie?
      '13.5 GLI - daily
      '97 E38 740iL - garaged
      www.hausofdub.com

Vehicles
      06-10-2009 04:59 PM #118
      Nope, I think I'm going to try out eagle...and I have two options for pistons. I forget the name of one company but I will put it up as soon as I get it, and Cosworth. Cosworth puts out stuff that is worlds apart from JE or Weisco, etc...and for similar price.

and now that I've decided to go all out, I might just go with a set of custom grind cams too. Right now the plan for the head is just 7A and rev the poo out of it (with some valve springs), but I may change it up to a really high lift setup, etc. We'll see where that goes.

Modified by loxxrider at 4:01 PM 6-10-2009

Vehicles
      06-12-2009 02:39 PM #119

Vehicles
      06-13-2009 02:20 PM #120
      i checked out cosworth, nice stuffs

and nice

'13.5 GLI - daily
      '97 E38 740iL - garaged
      www.hausofdub.com

Vehicles
      06-13-2009 07:03 PM #121
      did you get prices on anything?

here is the latest progress i've made

Quote »
      and here is a rough draft of the design!

I can make it a lot prettier...but I'll have to see how much that adds to machining costs.

The holes on the vertical side of the bracket will be threaded. All dimensions are somewhat rough, but this was just to get the basic design down. It will take me like 5 more minutes to get it perfected once I can measure everything super accurately.

I also need to add a little cutout for the standard fit holes on the horizontal face to accommodate where that fillet is.

andddddddddd

a rapid prototype lol

Vehicles
      06-14-2009 02:52 PM #122
      and the design evolves

Vehicles
      81 vr rocco, 99 turbo f150
      06-15-2009 01:19 PM #123
      looking good man finally getting some cool **** done to her, im trying to come down there asap looks like another dam 2 weeks, but hopefully bring the vic down to lol

Vehicles
      06-18-2009 12:12 PM #124
      Ahhh I was bad...I just got back from totally annihilating my final differential equations test though, so I fee like I am deserving.

Just bought the Phoenix Gold RSD6.5cs components for the front stage of the audi. They are THE BEST speakers period for sub $500 a set. Reviewers say they will compete with some $1k sets even.

I have personal experience with them in my last car and I can definitely say they are truly incredible if set up right. I think it will be a challenge to get them in this car. I intend to have the midbasses in their own enclosures in the doors, and I'm not sure where I'm going to put the tweeters. I may just put them in place of the (probably) 3" or so infinity components that are in my dash. Imaging would not be perfect...but whatever.

I also want to replace my 12" setup for a competition 10". Although the 12 is very nice, I just want something a little more punchy and only a proper 10 can deliver that.

On that note, if anyone wants to buy some audio stuff for cheap let me know! I have infinity speakers for the front doors and dash, (infinities in the rear deck also if anyone wants them), and alpine headunit, some MTX 4-channel amp, and 2 different 12" subs and a 12" box to choose from. I will sell any and all of it for very cheap, so just shoot me an offer if you want it! I can get specific model numbers/specs and pics of anything if interested.

Still waiting on adapters maybe they will come today (praying)

Exhaust is rescheduled for tomorrow...so thats exciting

Vehicles
      06-29-2009 03:10 PM #125
      ok its been a really long time since I've updated and a LOT of stuff has happened.

Here are the major updates from over on MG

Quote, originally posted by loxxrider »

few more pics

again, dont mind rear bumper damage! lol

and so you can see the poke

I will take side shots when the front wheels are on. It looks good...but slightly out of place without being low

also I think I have decided that this car needs all red tails...end of story. Whatcha think?

:woowoo:

Just got some cool new tools. I got a craftsman 1/2" air impact, 3/4 and 18mm impact sockets, a tire filler thing with gauge, etc. Also had to buy a tire plug set as I found a nail in one of the rear tires. No wonder it wouldn't hold air haha. Holds it plenty well now!

All things to make my life easier when working on cars (this car)

Also I am about to order two new front tires for my new wheels. They are 225 40 18. Best part is they are $77 a piece lol. Nexen tires, look them up. They are pretty decent. Everyone that uses them seems to think they are a great deal considering they almost compete with tires more than double their price. They are a super performance summer tire or something like that.

here's what they look like

I was also quoted $98 a piece for the rear 255 35 18's.

Still hoping the brake lines and wheel bearings get here thursday, and some speakers should be here today

let me first just say our cars were REALLY dirty lol...we didn't intend to do a shoot tonight, but we had like an hour or two to dick around before going to see Transformers 2 (which was awesome) so we stopped in and took these.

These were just kinda a test to see what we want to do with these cars soon in a legit shoot. Again, the lights aren't as dark as they appear here. I'll get day shots tomorrow. They look so effing amazing.

here is a shot of my old car that I took here...its what I intend to do with these cars when they are washed and my wheels are on all 4 corners lol

also, I am pulling my fenders for SURE (or just rolling). It will just set off the stance of this car like crazy. Wow I never thought I'd be going for looks on this car but its fun as hell!

oh and I don't like this pic...but you all have waited long enough for a side shot lol...so here's one...kinda

Here are the new components for the front of the car. I don't really have a good plan yet for them, but I'll lay out something tentative.

Midbasses in the door panels, tweeters up on the dash. I need to rewire an unknown amount of the car with good speaker wire. I sure hope it isn't much. Crossovers mounted in the doors. I'll figure out a way to mount the tweets...thats not a big deal at all. The midbasses are however.

They need to be sealed to sound any good, and that seems to mean that I'll have to make some custom enclosures out of fiberglass or something. I don't know how much airspace they need though. I'll have to post up on an audio forum to find out what people think. Whatever I do, I want it to fit behind the stock panels without modification. I can actually sit the whole woofer right under the window reg if I wanted to and it would clear the window when it comes down. So I have plenty of room to cut into the metal frame of the door if I need clearance. Its just a matter of brushing up on my fiberglass skills unless I figure out/you guys suggest something different.

Pics

tried to fit them into the bose housing...not happening lol

I had no idea what was in the doors before...but I figured they'd at least be bigger than what I'd seen in the dash before. No chance. They weren't even sealed in the pods. No wonder they sounded like poo. (for sale if anyone wants)

The new ones kinda dwarf them

Wooo got the first one (speaker pod mod) finally done. The second will take much less time since I wont be guessing what I have to do.

Its not pretty, but it gets the job done. It will not be seen lol. I threw it on my home theater setup just for ****s and ran some bass mechanik just to get the low low stuff and start pumpin some air. I found a couple of leaks this way (actually from holes in the wooden ring I made and where the wires come thru the box), and I siliconed them all up just now. In the morning I will hook it all up in the car and see what she can do! I'll be interested to hear how it sounds ported vs unported.

btw I had to mount it at an angle like that (logo not straight up and down) due to space constraints.

also received word that a package is waiting for me for pickup on monday from Mr. Black. Finally my MAT sensor issue will be taken care of and I'll be ready to tune!!! (and have launch control again MUAHAHAHAHAHH! )

Should also receive tires monday and brake parts should have been here this past week (not Apikol's fault). The shipping company is just being lame. Sooo maybe things will go as planned this week and I can have a tuned car with brakes, the most badass SQ sound system I've had, and new tires! Oh, and all four wheels mounted finally. I wont have to look like a slob with 2 different wheels on the car lol.

AND I got my own air compressor! I believe its a 20 gal or so. It will run the air tools I have all day just fine. :woowoo: I feel like a baller with all of this stuff, but all of it isn't really costing me much of anything except the brake stuff lol. Don't be fooled! I only make minimum wage! :-D

Oh my....

I finalized the driver's side setup today (save for fitting the door panel). Made sure EVERYTHING was sealed up completely.

I then fired it up and was impressed...but I knew something was amiss. It sounded good, but when I went to crank it up it started to sound distorted. I knew it was hardly being put through its paces though. (This is what you call clipping correct?) I then realized that I forgot to wire it bridged to the 500.4.

Once it was bridged, I turned that sucker up without once hearing any kind of distortion. It was super punchy and extended into the lows quite well. Its the RSD experience that I once had in my old car

The only problem is that with the car on, while receiving audio to the Hx-D10 thru the cd-changer that is in the car, I get some kind of ground interference. Not from any of the other inputs though. Unfortunately my Hx-D10 is very, very picky about which CD's it will read so I am forced to use the CD-changer a lot. As soon as I get my ipod put back together that will be a non-issue :lol:

Wow, another good day for the Audi.

I picked up my newly repaired ECU. I have launch control back yesssssssssssssss! haha. Its fun too because its on a toggle...AND its connected to the e-brake, so in order for it to work you have to have the toggle on and the e-brake not on the floor. To disengage it just drop the e-brake and you are off.

I should be tuning it on Friday. Also got tires! AND I got brake lines and new wheel bearings. So now everything is ready to go. Now I just need a new can of Pentosin

and thats all for now!

Vehicles
      08-05-2009 06:32 PM #126
      wow, so much to update.

not even going to try haha.

refer to bottom of page 24 thru page 32 in this thread

http://www.motorgeek.com/phpBB...21657

basically had problems with VEMS, now its fixed. Fixed lots of other stuff too and went offroading a lot haha

Vehicles
      09-30-2009 09:15 PM #127
      OK time for an update.

VEMS is still not fixed. Its in NH now with Marc Swanson for the second time. We have come to the conclusion that we need to use TTL coils instead of IGBT. Fail VEMS.

While that is getting sorted out, I have begun to make plans for coilovers. I just got a job today (within about 2 minutes of looking for one) for the SOLE reason of buying coils, and also think I sold my stock wheels. If so, that means I'm about half way to having them.

I just got the bright idea last week to try and be slammed before Fixxfest on November 21st.

The plan is ground control coilover sleeves with probably 600lb springs in the front and 500 in the rear. (open to opinions) Then its probably going to be the Koni race struts which will allow for about 2" shorter shock body than stock. She's gunna be tuckin all 4 corners for sure

Then I'll drill out new holes in the strut towers to adjust camber.

Thats about all thats on the list for now.

Vehicles
      12-27-2009 10:03 PM #128
      OK, time for update if anyone is still reading this.

The VEMS is back in the car and working flawlessly now thanks to Marc Swanson.

I achieved my goal of having coilovers on the car before Fixxfest 09. They came out great, but the car needs some spacer plates made in order to get it to the ride height I want in the front. I've been working on that issue.

I have gotten a few parts for the Holset, and its going to be on the car sorta soon hopefully.

Also picked up a roof rack, and ordered a bunch of parts to do the t-belt. Its in terrible shape.

Quote »
      Some pics to kick off and celebrate page 50

I have some more stuff to show off...just need to take some pics. I still need to refinish the bars for the rack and get the fitment on point. It was just test-fitted for these pics.

Also, this is the biggest thing I've accomplished so far this break. Old trailer parts were ****ty.

Mounted new (used) parts for cheap and they are solid.

Got the boat back on and in the water She is lookin great and runs like a champ after all of the fixin' we did this month. This is how it came off of the trailer and sat for about a week.

Quote »
      Here are some pics of the condition of the t-belt. I might just tow it up the 40 min drive to fix it. It seriously looked fine a few weeks ago. I guess it just decided this last few weeks was its time to let go.

oil line stuff

I also got this for Christmas...my neighbor bruce airbrushed this. The original is STUNNING. The print is awesome too though. This one is an artist proof

Vehicles
      '97 BMW 328i | '10 Mazda5
      12-31-2009 06:36 PM #129
      such a slick ass 200

Vehicles
      12-31-2009 11:31 PM #130
      Thank you

Vehicles
      01-20-2010 10:21 PM #131
      Update time.

1) Ordered 4 Hargetts. Will post pics of these slick pieces whenever I get them in.

2) Convinced 034 to make a special exhaust manifold at a good price for us 20vt guys. Set up a group buy and got the ball rolling myself. I will be getting one for myself of course.

3) ordering Treadstone IC core soon

and looking into other housing options for my holset OR another Holset from a friend...Hx35. Hoping its got the right housing on it.

So that covers EVERYTHING I need to get the bitch on...aside from a few misc bits like two oil line adapters and some nuts and bolts I'm sure.

Vehicles
      R
      03-30-2010 01:53 AM #132
      lets see some more pictures chris

Vehicles
      03-30-2010 02:38 AM #133
      thanks james...I forget to update this thread because I pay so much attention to the build thread on other sites.

Major updates as of late:

-Moved to VEMS firmware version 1.1.67 and had to re-tune whole map myself. Still working out the bugs
      -two new sets of wheels
      -working on new upper strut mounts
      -new manifold being made for me by 034
      -bought 4 3" hargett couplers for the IC piping...never a boost leak again
      -got new 12cm housing for the Holset
      -the intercooler core of my dreams (ordering this week)
      -and some more things I forget I guess
      -bought adapters for the new wheels

most of my free time has been involved in refinishing my new BBS's

test fit

polish job

(the one on the right)

my other new wheels

Vehicles
      R
      04-20-2010 01:18 AM #134
      damnn dude looking good

when you gonna come down for a weekend?!

Vehicles
      04-20-2010 01:32 AM #135
      Thanks man, yeah I dunno as soon as I get my issues sorted out with the car I guess. I gotta get some fuel injectors! Thats why I'm trying to sell that seat and what not.

31. 04-26-2010 09:40 PM #136
      just wanted to say nice work on a killer car.
      i have owned many 200s and am glad to see others maintain such an interest and passion for the 200 (in particular the 3b).
      keep up the great work and thanks for the post!

Vehicles
      04-26-2010 10:08 PM #137
      Thank you sir, come over and post some of your cars on motorgeek.com, thats where my main post is.

At this point I'm just waiting on the manifold from 034. I'm also trying to diagnose some ECU related issues too so that is potentially delaying progress. Might be going to CDI ignition instead of COP to see what happens.

Vehicles
      07-05-2010 08:38 PM #138
      its been a while and I've done a lot with this car, but the main thing is that the Holset is going on the car this weekend! I'll have pics up when its done. Should be exciting

34. 07-09-2010 09:52 AM #139
      I fully approve of this thread.

From one 20vt 200 to another, I applaud you on your quest to keep that car on the road. Im definitely going to watch this tread for the turbo build. I have a stage 1 chip on it, and its significantly faster than my R32. I had boost leaks, and an mfts failure, but is been a solid car.

I have questions about how you got the dash apart, since I need to fix some wiring in mine.

If you need help with any a/c issues, i just spent the weekend getting intimate with mine, and it works perfect now.

Also, get that battery cable replaced if you havent, I talked about it in my thread.

Here is my "keep it on the road/build" thread.
      http://eurowerks.org/showthread.php?t=20191

Oh, and about the only thing you guys cant do in florida is use quattro for what it was designed to do .

Vehicles
      07-10-2010 12:24 AM #140
      Quote Originally Posted by secondslc View Post
      I fully approve of this thread.

From one 20vt 200 to another, I applaud you on your quest to keep that car on the road. Im definitely going to watch this tread for the turbo build. I have a stage 1 chip on it, and its significantly faster than my R32. I had boost leaks, and an mfts failure, but is been a solid car.

I have questions about how you got the dash apart, since I need to fix some wiring in mine.

If you need help with any a/c issues, i just spent the weekend getting intimate with mine, and it works perfect now.

Also, get that battery cable replaced if you havent, I talked about it in my thread.

Here is my "keep it on the road/build" thread.
      http://eurowerks.org/showthread.php?t=20191

Oh, and about the only thing you guys cant do in florida is use quattro for what it was designed to do .
      Hey, thanks for the compliments! I just took a quick glance at your thread and I think I'll have to sit down for a while and read it though. Looks like you enjoy your 20v just as much as I do mine

Boost leaks PLAGUE these cars...fix those, and you are good to go for the most part. I hate them with a passion, so I have the most baller ic piping setup known to man going on this car haha.

Let me know what you have questions about regarding the dash. I'd be happy to help. I'll send you a PM with my phone number so we don't have to waste time trying to explain over the internet. Thanks for the offer on AC advice. I have it fixed for the most part except for a leak which I believe to be at the compressor. I think just some o-rings and I'll be good to go for a while. My blower motor squeaks though so thats probably going to be the next HUGE PITA project.

My other thread on MG is more complete if you want to see more details on anything done to my car. Its 76 pages long You should make a thread there if you get the chance.

Thanks again for the compliments I am definitely jealous of the fact that you get to play with yours in snow. Someday I'm going to do that for sure.

Oh and my friend got stuck up in Ohio for the weekend, so build is postponed until this coming friday.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast