Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Cleaning stock rims on '98 Jetta Wolfsburg

1. 06-08-2002 04:06 PM #1
      I am wondering if anyone has any suggestions as far as products/tools I should use to clean the stock aluminum rims that came with my 1998 Jetta Wolfsburg Edition. Any help would be appreciated.

2. 06-23-2002 01:48 PM #2
      bump

[Modified by 98wolfie, 5:49 PM 6-23-2002]

3. 06-25-2002 12:37 AM #3
      Try this site http://www.properautocare.com/propwheelcar.html . Eagle One Mag-Chrome-Aluminum polish works well for Aluminum, once they’re clean. It helps keep them that way.

4. 06-25-2002 12:03 PM #4
      Wolfie,

Here is my take on cleaning VW rims in general. As you are well aware, they emit too much brake dust forcing you to clean them like every 2 weeks.

To clean them, I use Espree Brake Dust cleaner but since you have those mesh BBS rims (nice looking but look like a be-ach to clean) I would buy one of the soft bristle brushes used to clean the underside of the car. At your local autoparts store, it should have a red handle with soft yellow bristles, not coarse plastic white bristles. This soft brush should get in the small spaces.

When you replace your brake pads, step up to Mintex or Metal Master brake pads which are as good as stock and hardly through out any brake dust. You will be amazed and makes you wonder why VW has addressed this historical problem.

Good luck.

5. 06-25-2002 06:56 PM #5
      Thanks for all your help guys. I'll see if I can find a nice brush and definetly step up to a better brake pad when the time comes.

6. 06-26-2002 01:36 PM #6
      Anytime Wolfie.