Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: ODP code P0118 - Where is the sensor?

1. 06-24-2008 01:16 PM #1
      Autozone pulled the Code P0118 suggesting the engine coolant temperature sensor may is higher than expected for the current engine operating conditions. One suggestion is to replace the sensor. However, when the parts person looked it up, it said no such device is required in the car. So, is that a error in the code reader or is there really a temp sensor it is refering to. I noticed some threads about black versus green sensor which makes me think I can address the problem. Where would this sensor be located? Also, how serious is this. Can I live with the problem until I figure it out and get a replacement part, or do I need to stop driving the vehicle?
      Thanks for your ideas and comment in advance.

2. 06-24-2008 05:06 PM #2
      I think your car has two temperature sensors, one for the ECU and the other for the gauge. The one for the gauge is on the back of the motor, the drivers side, behind the vacuum pump. If the gauge is working, this isn't the problem. I'm not sure where the other is, but if it is bad, it will confuse the ECU and likely cause it to go into a limp mode.

I don't have my bentley handy, but I know it has OBD codes listed in it.

3. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2005 vw passat tdi 2001 jetta tdi 1990 corrado vr swap
      06-24-2008 11:07 PM #3
      If you have a ect sensor fault and it's a black sensor located on the side of the head in the aluminum coolant flange aiming at the firewall then definetly change it, I have changed a ton of these things at the dealerership and even a few green ones also. you should get it changed sooner than later but no engine damage will occur from all the ones I've ver seen...some cutomers drove them for weeks with the faulty sensor and they still runa and start fine. Hope that helps

4. 06-25-2008 01:14 PM #4
      Quote, originally posted by thomasb »
      Autozone pulled the Code P0118

Here is a link to Benley's list of codes

http://www.bentleypublishers.c...e.htm

Modified by TDIguy2 at 5:15 PM 6-25-2008

5. 06-26-2008 07:38 PM #5
      Grear post. Thanks. Dam, there's a lot of codes.

6. 06-30-2009 06:36 PM #6
      What's the deal with the different color sensors? I've heard black, blue, and green. Is it different years, different applications?

Been ignoring my CES light for a long time now because the last several times I had it checked, it was a glow plug #3 failure that seems to have magically fixed itself. Though I thought it seemed odd for the light to be on in the middle of the summer for a glow plug problem.

Anyway, the part was $6 at Autozone. Which means they must be like $.99 for all other cars or I totally have the wrong part.

7. Member
      Vehicles
      2010 Golf TDI 6M 2Dr
      06-30-2009 10:36 PM #7
      Quote »
      I think your car has two temperature sensors, one for the ECU and the other for the gauge.

What?? He has a 2001 model, not a 1951 model. The sensor is for the ECU, and the ECU in turn sends a signal to the gauge. The gauge in these cars is really just a fancy idiot light. As long as the temp is in the normal range, the gauge reads 190*.

Go to tdiparts.com or worldimpex.com and order a new temp sensor. It's located on the driver side of the block in the coolant flange. It's a 10 minute job to replace. Get a jug of G12 coolant to top off with.