Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Links back to The Car Lounge (opens in same window)
    Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: On display in Berlin, VW Golf Twin-Drive plug-in Hybrid

1. Member
      Vehicles
      2009 BMW 318dA
      06-26-2008 10:16 AM #1

German source, can't find an english one: http://www.bonavita.info/golf-twindrive.htm

flick
      r

Quote Originally Posted by thisisdog View Post
      The internet has gotten significantly better since Russians started buying video cameras.

2. 06-26-2008 10:18 AM #2
      does this mean I need to install chrome VW outlet covers now?

3. 06-26-2008 10:21 AM #3
      Quote, originally posted by Tetzuoe »
      does this mean I need to install chrome VW outlet covers now?

That would probably be a good idea.

Vehicles
      2007 Stark Industries Runabout 1500
      06-26-2008 10:27 AM #4
      Quote, originally posted by Dawg Dee-Lux »

German source, can't find an english one: http://www.bonavita.info/golf-twindrive.htm

The essential information there (besides the marketing blah blah) is "50 km/30miles range in battery-only mode". Googling for "Flottenversuch Elektromobilität" gets us this http://www.anleger-nachrichten....html which at least tells us that VW and the German federal government are going to test the concept with 25 vehicles, the four year field test is sponsored by a consortium of the German federal department of environment, VW, the electrical energy company E.On and other partners, and will cost about 15 million euro.

Nowdays us made cars what you're proud of

5. 06-26-2008 10:46 AM #5

My ghetto translation

Today federal environmental minister sigmar Gabriel and martin winterkorn introduced the golf twin drive, the automobile of the future. The car, which has a new electric drive system is a part of a large project, that the federal government initiated. Under the title, “fleet test electrical mobility”, vw, in conjunction with 7 other companies, is researching the future of this idea.

Environmental minister siegmar explains in the “auto forum unter den linden (basically a really cool vwag show room” that they are aiming for the future efficient adaptation of renewable resource energy for transportation. With modern drive technology, the user can have the every day range with the power from the sun, wind, and water to lay back on, without having to accept the usual restrictions for every day driving.

The “presence” of automobiles without high efficiency gas or diesel motors is unthinkable. But the future, for sure, will belong to an emissions free electric motor, fueled by a socket, explained winterkorn. He says further, today we visualize that golf twindrive making emissions free driving in the cities possible. At the same time can one imagine the same for long distance driving (shady translation here)

The goal of the project is the test flight with renewable manufactured energy to drive the vehicles. Here, will the development of high power battery packs be necessary. Here, with the test drives, should a fully electric auto be realized. The golf twin drive, thanks to its large cruising range of about 50 kilometers offers new possibilities in emissions free transportation in every day use. the trial of the electric powered fleet will be shared through 8 r&d partners. it then lists the partners

Modified by 97Shoebox at 4:33 PM 6-26-2008

Modified by 97Shoebox at 4:54 PM 6-26-2008

06-26-2008 10:57 AM #6

7. 06-26-2008 11:29 AM #7
      Quote, originally posted by Dawg Dee-Lux »

http://www.motorauthority.com/...brid/

Quote »
      Volkswagen has revealed its intentions to enter the race to build and market ultra-efficient plug-in hybrid vehicles with the unveiling today of the new Golf Twin Drive. The new concept car receives its name from its twin powerplant design, which features an electric motor designed for city driving and an internal combustion engine for longer trips.

The electric motor in the Twin Drive produces a peak output of 82hp (61kW) and allows the Golf to reach a top speed of 120km/h. The motor runs on an array of fast-charging lithium-ion batteries that can be charged from a regular household power outlet. On electric power alone the car can travel up to 50km, enough for most daily trips, but once the batteries are depleted a 122hp (91kW) 2.0L turbodiesel engine takes over.

To boost its range further, the car also features engine stop-start technology and regenerative brakes.

Volkswagen will trial a fleet of 20 Twin Drive Golfs in 2010 together with the German government under a new scheme investigating the future of personal mobility. To ensure the cars are true zero-emissions vehicles, the electrical energy required to charge the batteries under the trial will be generated from renewable resources such as wind and hydro power.

Vehicles
      a '98 [on life support] and a '07
      06-26-2008 11:31 AM #8
      That's pretty neat. That's a hybrid I could warm to.
      Where is Kyron ??? http://www.bringkyronhome.org/
      Support our troops, bless the fallen.

Quote Originally Posted by genjy View Post
      Yes, there is a high chance that the tractor trailer was the one going 160MPH, not the Porsche GT2 RS.

9. Member
      Vehicles
      2006 Jetta TDI, 1996 Golf TDI, 1997 Golf Variant Syncro TDI, 1993 Eurovan TDI
      06-26-2008 11:54 AM #9
      We already have:

* a 2.0L 8 valve PD-injection 134hp Passat TDI
      * a 2.0L 16 valve CR-injection 140hp Jetta TDI

Why does this hybrid's 2.0L TDI make 122hp?

I'm not complaining about less power as the 1.9L 100hp/184ft-lb TDI is plenty strong for city, highway, and hauling duties... I'm just curious. Drivetrain loss can't be the reason because manufacturers often quote engine bhp, not wheel hp. Also, if fuel economy is the main focus, why not opt for a lower displacement TDI like a 1.4L or 1.9L? The Prius and Honda Insight use relatively low displacement gas engines too.

Anyway I'm very interested in this car. Electric motor = best for city. Diesel motor = best for highway. This car = best of both worlds. 50km plug-in range and new diesel emissions control = significantly lower emissions than a Prius. Also with extra power & torque to boot. Nice!

Modified by Malone at 10:24 AM 6-26-2008

10. Banned
      06-26-2008 11:57 AM #10
      If there is one thing German's are known for doing well. It's electronics.

11. Member
      Vehicles
      2006 Jetta TDI, 1996 Golf TDI, 1997 Golf Variant Syncro TDI, 1993 Eurovan TDI
      06-26-2008 12:00 PM #11
      Quote, originally posted by Dr. Shakalu »

As an early adopter to VW's new technology I'd probably just lease the car and return it by the time warranty expires.

12. 06-26-2008 12:00 PM #12
      The electric motor is quite strong. The 2.0TDI loses some power most likely to get the best possible fule economy.

Vehicles
      2012 MINI Coupe` S, 1988 VW Fox Turbo Truck, 2000 Cabrio
      06-26-2008 12:18 PM #13

Sofa King True.

-Obama Sucks-

Vehicles
      '97 BMW 328i | '10 Mazda5
      06-26-2008 12:23 PM #14
      so, it's a plug in hybrid?
      The regular motor will repower the electric motor, but it still needs a plugin?

15. 06-26-2008 12:25 PM #15
      Interesting take to plug in hybrid. Some differences from the Chevy Volt that make it more like normal car when out of charge.

16. 06-26-2008 12:29 PM #16

Well, isn't Siemens AG the world's biggest electronics company (or one the biggest)

17. 06-26-2008 02:58 PM #17
      Wasn't Germany the only WWII combatant with night vision in some of their tanks? Pretty good electronics if you ask me and I'm sure any Allied tanker who survived an encounter with them would agree.

18. 06-26-2008 05:50 PM #18
      auto motor und sport adds this information (Google translation)
      Quote, originally posted by auto motor und sport »
      With the large-scale project will Volkswagen a further step towards fully electric vehicles. VW CEO Winterkorn had already announced that the next generation of golf in a so-called mild hybrid version with start-stop automatic type. More Spritspar components from the now presented "Twin Drive" prototypes - such as the braking recovery - will VW, according to the VW spokesman also in other future series vehicles with internal combustion engine.

The next-Touareg SUV will then, according to Winterkorn as a full hybrid, at least in the short-haul and purely electric drive. Even the Jetta is the future as a "plug-in hybrid", its battery to the outlet to be loaded. In addition Winterkorn had already announced an electric car, only with power from a lithium-ion battery runs. As a basis for this to be a vehicle from the New Small Family to the design study: "Up", whose production in a small series due to begin in 2010.

Vehicles
      2007 BMW Z4M Coupe, 2008 Audi TT Quattro 3.2 Coupe
      06-26-2008 05:58 PM #19
      30 miles on a charge is not bad at all ... city runs should be good. Commuting, I would be good one way and that would be a 50% saving as well.

Wish they would put all the heavy battery stuff in the back or middle of the car to improve dynamics rather than stuff is over the front axle ... the car is so front heavy already.

2007 BMW Z4M Coupe, 2008 Audi TT 3.2 Coupe Quattro 6MT

Vehicles
      2007 VW Eos
      06-27-2008 01:14 PM #20
      Quote, originally posted by pal »
      Wish they would put all the heavy battery stuff in the back or middle of the car to improve dynamics rather than stuff is over the front axle ... the car is so front heavy already.

I'm pretty sure the batteries are in that metal box under the boot.

Vehicles
      WRB ZC6L
      06-27-2008 02:19 PM #21
      Quote, originally posted by pal »
      30 miles on a charge is not bad at all ... city runs should be good. Commuting, I would be good one way and that would be a 50% saving as well.

From one end of Omaha to the other is roughly 15 miles... Other than all over town shopping trips I might never have to fill up.

14 torque-less wonder | 08 sorority special | seventwosix | flickr

Vehicles
      2009 MINI Cooper S
      06-27-2008 02:21 PM #22
      There's mention of it over here as well: http://www.dailytech.com/VW+Tw...3.htm

Vehicles
      2009 MINI Cooper S
      06-27-2008 02:42 PM #23
      Personally, i'm interested in this. I'd love to buy a Twin Drive VW. I'm not sure i'd like to wait until 2020 - because we all know it'll take VW that long to get it to market.

The Chevy Volt is scheduled to appear in North America in 2010 for about $35,000. If VW could get this out at the same time for less, they'd have a huge hit.

Vehicles
      '13 Subaru Outback
      06-27-2008 02:44 PM #24
      Quote, originally posted by MrGTI »
      Personally, i'm interested in this. I'd love to buy a Twin Drive VW. I'm not sure i'd like to wait until 2020 - because we all know it'll take VW that long to get it to market.

The Chevy Volt is scheduled to appear in North America in 2010 for about $35,000. If VW could get this out at the same time for less, they'd have a huge hit.

It couldn't be a Golf, though. Dedicated body shell, maybe, but sales of a $40k diesel Golf would be poky, to say the least.

IPRO Meat-Director and High Minister of Terror-Grilling

Quote Originally Posted by Marshmallow Man View Post
      The Terror Grill: Part restaurant, part amusement attraction, part gladiator arena, all profit.
      ARE YOU NOT SATIATED?!?!?!

Vehicles
      a Lexus Hybrid
      06-27-2008 03:11 PM #25
      Quote, originally posted by Slipstream »

From one end of Omaha to the other is roughly 15 miles... Other than all over town shopping trips I might never have to fill up.

But then after 6months, you have 6-month old diesel fuel in your car....

This is the thing I worry about: Bad gas if you just continuously run on Electricity-only.

Vehicles
      2010 MkVI MT TDI Golf, 2000 B5 4M Passat Wagon
      06-27-2008 03:47 PM #26

...so true ...which is why the new Japanese Diesel cars use Bosch, and many manufacturers rely on Continental-Teves for their ESP implementation.

And that is also why all my (~100) computers use AMD processors developed and built in Germany.

Aung San Suu Kyi

Vehicles
      2010 MkVI MT TDI Golf, 2000 B5 4M Passat Wagon
      06-27-2008 03:49 PM #27
      Quote, originally posted by someguy123 »

But then after 6months, you have 6-month old diesel fuel in your car....

This is the thing I worry about: Bad gas if you just continuously run on Electricity-only.

What's wrong with 6-months old Diesel fuel?

Bad gas/alcohol in a plug-in gas hybrid is another story...

Aung San Suu Kyi

28. Senior Member Air and water do mix's Avatar
      Vehicles
      '66 Beetle, '69 VW Fastback and an '08 Fit
      06-27-2008 04:11 PM #28

I agree. After all, they invented electronic fuel injection (at least they mass produced it first) as well as abs brakes. I'm sure that if you looked, you'd find many other things that they invented as well.

Oh, wait, you were being sarcastic because of more recent events. Ha. Too funny.

Quote Originally Posted by Boyz in da Park
      Proletariat, Bourgeoise - Everybody smellin' my potpourri...

29. 06-27-2008 04:50 PM #29
      i love the rims

30. Senior Member justanotherusername's Avatar
      Vehicles
      '08 135i, '00 4runner, '85 Huntsman (Toyota) RV
      06-27-2008 04:52 PM #30
      Quote, originally posted by xgarage »
      i love the rims

So does BMW!

31. 06-27-2008 06:41 PM #31
      Anyone know what kind of fuel economy it might get, after that first 30 miles?
      edit: also, isn't the plug-in Prius supposed to drop around that time? It'll be interesting to see how they compete. That is, if VW even bothers to bring it here.

Modified by Page7 at 3:43 PM 6-27-2008

32. 06-27-2008 06:44 PM #32
      Quote, originally posted by Page7 »
      Anyone know what kind of fuel economy it might get, after that first 30 miles?

Better than what a regular 2.0TDI gets because it has some hybrid features.

33. Member
      06-27-2008 07:29 PM #33
      I like the part about battery regeneration from Solar/Wind/Water (I don't get the water thing...) stuff. That would be cool.

I've been saying that for years: get me an electric car I can recharge with a solar panel...

Vehicles
      a Lexus Hybrid
      06-27-2008 08:03 PM #34
      Quote, originally posted by feels_road »

What's wrong with 6-months old Diesel fuel?

Bad gas/alcohol in a plug-in gas hybrid is another story...

Ok, how about 2-year old diesel fuels for grandmas due to only doing 10-mile trips to the supermarket.

Vehicles
      2006 Vue, 2012 Chevy Cruze LT2, 1996 BK
      06-27-2008 08:24 PM #35
      Quote, originally posted by Chapel »
      so, it's a plug in hybrid?
      The regular motor will repower the electric motor, but it still needs a plugin?

The point is that the electric engine runs the car for the first thirty miles. If you never drive it more than thirty miles before plugging it in, you have a very small carbon footprint.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast