Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Links back to The Car Lounge (opens in same window)

Thread: Hyundai V6 Belt replacement?

Vehicles
      66Bug, 05Cavvy
      06-29-2008 12:33 AM #1
      Let's see if we can get a couple helpful posts here, eh?

My wife drives a very comfortable 2000 Hyundai Sonata with the 2.5l V6. Looks like it's time to replace her serpentine belt, but no repair manual is to be had in my area. I know I could probably order one online, and I may very well do just that in the very near future.

But I gotta change the belt now so she can get to work tomorrow.

Has anyone got any experience with this motor? Could you possibly give me a quick How-To or point me toward one?

I don't need a step by step, but the 'Tricks'- them I could use.

Thanks-

ugly pic for clix

Vehicles
      '14 IS350, '00 F-150 V6 5MT, '30 Ford A
      06-29-2008 12:43 AM #2
      Serpentine belt or timing belt?

I have never worked on a Hyundai but usually there is a spring loaded belt tensioner. It looks like a short bar with a pulley on the end, and it usually has some sort of fixture (a notch for a wrench, or a square hole for a ratchet, etc) that allows you to attach a tool and crank it clockwise or counterclockwise. That will rotate the pulley away from the belt and provide enough slack to remove the belt. Installation is the reverse of the removal.

If you see threaded rods on the bracket for the alternator, compressor, p/s pump, or any combination of those, then this is how you relieve tension from the belt. Adjusting those threaded rods swings the unit toward or away from the belt, tightening or slackening the belt.

If you're talking about replacing the timing belt.... ugh. Better brew a few pots of coffee.

Vehicles
      84 Scirocco, 13 Prius C, 94 beige Camry!
      06-29-2008 12:44 AM #3
      I worked on a 2.7L motor in a Santa Fe - I can't really remember - but it was easy. I think it just used a wrench on a tensioner. Take a picture of the belt to remember the routing.

And yes: timing belts sucks. The timing belt goes through an engine mount.

Take a look at the pics in here:
      http://www.vintagewatercooleds...undai/

Modified by timbo2132 at 12:47 AM 6-29-2008

Vehicles
      '14 IS350, '00 F-150 V6 5MT, '30 Ford A
      06-29-2008 12:48 AM #4
      Another "tip" -- When putting the belt back on, I usually have the best luck getting it around every pulley except for the one I can reach the easiest by hand. I keep tension on the belt - one finger on the belt, another finger on the pulley that the belt cannot yet reach, and slowly relieve the spring tension on the belt as I try to push the belt over the remaining pulley.

Taking a picture, or making a hand sketch of how the belt is routed is a great idea if there isn't a decal under the hood showing the routing.

5. Geriatric Member Obin Robinson's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2001 Boxster, 2012 Kia Soul
      06-29-2008 02:08 AM #5
      Quote, originally posted by SidVicious »
      Looks like it's time to replace her serpentine belt, but no repair manual is to be had in my area.

Hyundai
      F'n
      Rules!

http://www.hmaservice.com/

constantly updated, accurate, and free. just register and login. you can even e-mail instructions to yourself. you don't need to be a dealer or shop to access all the manuals for your car.

obin

"We're society's crowbar. They hate us, they never want to acknowledge the dirty jobs they give us to do, but when the job is done they never throw us away - they just slip us back in the toolbox until they need us the next time. And there will always be a next time."-Jim Hooper. Beneath the Visiting Moon: Images of Combat in Southern Africa

Vehicles
      99.5 Golf TDI 2dr, 92 Miata, 11 TerraTrike Path 8
      06-29-2008 07:31 AM #6
      Wow.

Now that owns. Wish other manufacturers would do that.

(I know Mazda offers the parts catalogs for the Miata for free on the Mazdaspeed site, and VW offers parts catalogs for US-spec VWs and Audis for free on PartsLink24, but... those aren't service manuals.)

Vehicles
      66Bug, 05Cavvy
      06-29-2008 10:01 AM #7
      It's not the timing belt- just the accessories belt. Obin- thanks for that link, I just signed up and I'm waiting for the confirmation email

Vehicles
      2008 Hyundai Accent GS
      06-29-2008 10:47 AM #8
      Quote, originally posted by Obin Robinson »

Hyundai
      F'n
      Rules!

http://www.hmaservice.com/

Yeah, quite possibly the nicest feature of Hyundai ownership I've found so far. I have yet to find an question I couldn't get answered.

06-29-2008 11:22 AM #9
      This is the Mitsubishi 2.5 V6, check out a Dodge Avenger/Chrysler Sebring (older models) repair manual.

10. Geriatric Member Obin Robinson's Avatar
      Vehicles
      06-29-2008 01:05 PM #10
      Quote, originally posted by DurtyBunny »

Yeah, quite possibly the nicest feature of Hyundai ownership I've found so far. I have yet to find an question I couldn't get answered.

same here. i was very surprised as to the depth which the hmasevice site goes to which the Bentley, Chiltons, and Haynes manuals never achieved. thorough electrical diagrams, tuning info, alignment info, and torque specs which put even my Porsche factory manuals to shame. i was able to do the suspension and tune up on the Elantra without having to bring along a big bulky book.

the nice part too is that these manuals are constantly updated. you know for certain that you have access to the same info that your dealership or garage has. ad added bonus are the software updates and OBDII info which i have NEVER seen another auto manufacturer easily give out. if even 1% of other car manufacturers could follow Hyundai's example the world would be a better place for us car enthusiasts.

and it's FREE!

obin

"We're society's crowbar. They hate us, they never want to acknowledge the dirty jobs they give us to do, but when the job is done they never throw us away - they just slip us back in the toolbox until they need us the next time. And there will always be a next time."-Jim Hooper. Beneath the Visiting Moon: Images of Combat in Southern Africa

Vehicles
      66Bug, 05Cavvy
      06-29-2008 02:38 PM #11
      NEVERMIND EDIT- I think I found it.

Ok-
      I got the old belt off and, lo and behold, the belt tensioner is shot, too. I'm trying to figure out if there's a special way to re-assemble everything and get the belt on with the least amount of fuss.

I've found all kinds of stuff, including the belt routing diagram, but do they actually have a shop manual style 'How To' on there?

Modified by SidVicious at 12:58 PM 6-29-2008

12. Geriatric Member Obin Robinson's Avatar
      Vehicles
      06-29-2008 03:44 PM #12
      try this:

SHOP

-Sonata (EF)
      -Engine Mechanical System
      -Timing System
      -Timing Belt

it's all there

check your e-mail i sent it to you from the site.

obin

Modified by Obin Robinson at 3:45 PM 6-29-2008

Vehicles
      66Bug, 05Cavvy
      06-29-2008 05:21 PM #13
      Thanks Obin- but it was the accessories drive belt(serpentine) and I'd found it!

That belt tensioner really is genius. I'ma sell my Bug and buy a used Hyundai like my wife's! Well. No.

14. Geriatric Member Obin Robinson's Avatar
      Vehicles
      07-01-2008 09:10 PM #14
      bump up...

how'd the repair go? did everything come out OK?

obin

Vehicles
      66Bug, 05Cavvy
      07-01-2008 09:30 PM #15
      Oh yeah- The way they have that tensioner is awesome. Best design I've seen for that item. Ya just stick a ratchet in the end of the arm and swing it anti-clockwise to loosen the belt or put the new belt on. It's brilliant.

Finished her belt in record time- seriously like 20 minutes- then did her front brakes as well.

Now I gotta stick a pipe in Sophie's collector and straighten that out!

16. Geriatric Member Obin Robinson's Avatar
      Vehicles
      07-01-2008 10:05 PM #16
      cool! glad to see that everything worked out well. we did the spark plugs on the Elantra today and i too love how easy and straightforward the Hyundai is laid out. German car manufacturers should indeed take note.

offhand did that hmaservice site help to make the job easier?

obin

Vehicles
      66Bug, 05Cavvy
      07-01-2008 11:09 PM #17
      Quote, originally posted by Obin Robinson »

offhand did that hmaservice site help to make the job easier?

obin

Aw yeah, that site rules! And I've got it bookmarked for several future visits.