Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 3 of 39 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: First time smokin' on the bar-bee

1. 08-24-2008 03:43 PM #51
      Smoked another brisket yesterday (close to 3lbs) and gonna be smoking some ribs next week for my final bbq party of the summer.

I cooked this one for almost 4hrs at 210F and used nothing but maple this time. I kinda like mesquite on my brisket for some reason.

Modified by Dreizehn at 3:44 PM 8-24-2008
      NEW YORK KNICKS

2. 08-24-2008 05:30 PM #52
      Not quite this level of bark. . http://www.houseofq.com/b_project.htm. Might be your cut. Was it fall apart tender?

3. 08-24-2008 06:01 PM #53
      Certainly not. The first one I smoked was actually better but this one wasn't that bad. It was very tasty, although, it was not as tender as my first. Also, didn't have as much of a ring as the first, either.
      I have something up my sleeve, though.
      NEW YORK KNICKS

08-27-2008 10:24 AM #54
      Quote, originally posted by Dreizehn »
      I have something up my sleeve, though.

Thats what I like to hear!!

Vehicles
      90 VW Corrado GBOOM
      08-27-2008 02:45 PM #55
      Oh, you mean like the one we roasted for July 4th?

I'll take the ears, pig knuckles, y el rabo(pig tail for the non-spanish speakers) por favorrrr!!! I'm gettin' my grill from my mothers house as of now! Buy some ribs, put together my secret ingredients and start smoking. Thanks for the inspiration, haha. Food looks great by the way [IMG]http://**********************/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG]
      SOLD 1990 V2SC Golf VR6~QM Motorsports 3" catless exhaust wMagnaflo muffler~OEM ported exhaust mani's~OEM ported downpipe~MK4 head gasket~Walbro 255 FP~

6. 08-30-2008 08:04 PM #56
      Puerco, FTW. Everytime.
      Today's choice:
      4lb brisket smoked for 7hrs 20min. Temps never got out-of-hand. Temps sat from 205F to 233F all day. Re-fueled just once during the cook (threw 15 unlit coals into the pit when the temp got down to 207F about 2.5hrs into the cook). A little smoke ring action going on (not as much as my first brisket). This one was marinated for 14hrs. Made my own marinade.
      I didn't take any before pics (was very busy preparing for the cookout I had at my house). And, I didn't want to take pics during the cook because if you're lookin', you ain't cookin'. So these were the only ones I snapped after slicing. I only got to have one piece...Everyone liked it.tt

NEW YORK KNICKS

08-31-2008 02:49 PM #57
      That looks damn good. [IMG]http://**********************/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG] Did you rub it with anything at all? Also, being only 4lbs, I'm assuming it is a flat?
      Keep it up. You've smoked twice as many briskets since starting this thread than I have.
      Cheers, Adrian
      726 bottles of beer on the wall.

8. 08-31-2008 03:34 PM #58
      Hey cop! Thanks.
      No, I did not rub anything on it this time. Decided to try a marinade for the first time, which I came up with myself. Don't ask me how much of each ingredient I put in, because I didn't measure. I used white wine vinegar, , EVOO, Worcestershire sauce, salt, crushed black pepper, minced garlic, and smoked paprika.
      Yes, it was a 4lb flat. I always smoke flats. This was the largest I've smoked so far, with the others being 2lbs and 2.6lbs, respectively. The marinated brisket tasted a lot better. With the help of my smoker, this thing came out very juicy (thanks, new water pan). Wasn't dry at all. I had people over for a BBQ and they saw me cutting the meat. They came over to the cutting board and wanted a piece of meat before I even finished slicing the brisket. That was very cool. No one there had ever eaten smoked brisket. They loved it.
      I picked up a few racks of beef short ribs today, which I'll probably smoke next week, and will be smoking a rack of pork spares tomorrow that I currently have in the fridge. Gonna use my own dry rub on the ribs, like I always do. My infrared grill hasn't gotten much love this summer.
      NEW YORK KNICKS

9. 09-01-2008 06:37 PM #59
      Pork spares. Total cook time was 7hrs. 5hrs unwrapped. 2hrs wrapped. I cut the top of the rack off and used it for "rib tips". I wrapped the rib tips at 5hrs and put some BBQ sauce on them. Used nothing but cherry wood for the smoke.
      Cut

Seasoned

Wrapped

Dumped on the smoker

About an hour and a half in

Five hours in

Rib tips done

Rack all done

Bones pulled apart. The rub gave it a great flavor, especially using cumin for the first time, but I will be adding a bit of BBQ sauce to my ribs next time. [IMG]http://**********************/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG]

Modified by Dreizehn at 6:38 PM 9-1-2008
      NEW YORK KNICKS

10. 09-01-2008 06:44 PM #60
      Thats looking competition ready. Too bad I don't dig on swine...

09-01-2008 09:44 PM #61
      Those look great. Next time, try a 3-2-1 method on them. You won't be disappointed.
      Cheers, Adrian

Vehicles
      a Mk4 and a B5.
      09-02-2008 02:47 AM #62
      ¡Coño, broder! ¡Eso esta para chuparse los dedos!*
      ( Damn, hermano! That is finger lickin' good!)
      Gone and missed: '96 FZJ80, '89 16v GLI, '84 Scirocco, '81 Scirocco S, '80 HiLux 4x4, '77 Kawi Enduro, '74 sparkling green Schwinn Stingray.

13. Member
      09-02-2008 10:21 AM #63

*booking trip to ct

Vehicles
      a Mk4 and a B5.
      09-02-2008 11:40 AM #64
      Quote, originally posted by chriskle »

*booking trip to ct

Bronx GTG w/BBQ courtesy of Dreizehn... [IMG]http://**********************/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG]
      Gone and missed: '96 FZJ80, '89 16v GLI, '84 Scirocco, '81 Scirocco S, '80 HiLux 4x4, '77 Kawi Enduro, '74 sparkling green Schwinn Stingray.

09-02-2008 11:53 AM #65
      Quote, originally posted by flygliii »
      Bronx GTG w/BBQ courtesy of Dreizehn... [IMG]http://**********************/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG]

Don't let the secret out...
      DAMN B!!!!!

16. Member
      09-02-2008 01:11 PM #66
      Quote, originally posted by flygliii »

17. 09-07-2008 10:55 PM #67

SOB! He got sliced opened, feet cut off, roasted for hours, is about to be chopped into pieces, consumed and he still smiling.

Vehicles
      2015 Porsche Boxster, 2010 VW Golf TDI
      09-08-2008 06:45 PM #68
      I recently moved from a large house to a loft in a highrise........
      so no grilling
      I made ribs a few weeks back in the oven, I was very skeptical.......but they turned out good, some of the best I ever made......
      I only use dry rubs, no sauce ever - that's a personal choice to be made by the eater

placed two pans on bottom rack of oven, filled with apple cider, vinager, and some honey......
      ribs on top rack, temp at 200 for 6 hours....... never flipped them (I never flip even on a smoker) gas oven
      I was soooo suprised, some of the best ribs ever

19. 09-08-2008 07:07 PM #69
      Nice! I cooked some ribs in the oven this weekend, too, as I had no access to my smoker. The others said they were the best ribs of all-time. I don't believe people. But yeah, the ribs tasted damn good. I used a rub from a local butcher shop on the island and some bbq sauce. Cooked them at 325F for 1.5hrs covered in foil on a broiling pan and then cooked for an additional 30min with bbq sauce on top. They came out great and tasted really damn good.
      Trying to get pictures this girl took of the ribs. haha
      NEW YORK KNICKS

Vehicles
      6 Tap Kegerator
      09-11-2008 10:11 AM #70
      OMG! I'm soo hungry now!
      Stuff like this explains why I have 4 Weber charcoal BBQ's.
      Someone mentioned above that they can't find any other smoking wood other than hickory. Try checking around at big sporting good stores like GIJoes. I can get as much apple wood as I want if anyone wants any.
      Oh, and you Weber guys NEED to get the flip up grills to add charcoal! You can get them online at http://www.weber.com.
      I really wish everyone would update their location in their profile!

Someone buy my car already!!

Always looking for free firewood to feed my hungry wood stove!

21. 09-11-2008 10:54 AM #71
      Quote, originally posted by unimogken »
      OMG! I'm soo hungry now!
      Stuff like this explains why I have 4 Weber charcoal BBQ's.
      Someone mentioned above that they can't find any other smoking wood other than hickory. Try checking around at big sporting good stores like GIJoes. I can get as much apple wood as I want if anyone wants any.
      Oh, and you Weber guys NEED to get the flip up grills to add charcoal! You can get them online at http://www.weber.com.

That's cool but not ideal unless you're flat-out grilling or smoking on a kettle grill. There's no need for that on my smoker.
      Here are the ribs I cooked in the oven this weekend. They came out awesome. Everyone loved these things. Three racks. Picked them up from a local butcher shop (Okie's). They were damn good and tender.

NEW YORK KNICKS

Vehicles
      a Mk4 and a B5.
      09-11-2008 11:35 AM #72
      You know what? Please, knock it off unless you plan on mailing samples out, OK? Got me wanting ribs at 08friggin30, man...
      those look hella good though!!!

23. 10-11-2008 10:09 AM #73
      Fire department came to my house wondering what was up with all the smoke this morning.
      Classic.

I'm gonna post pics of what I've made...gotta find my damn camera usb cable.
      NEW YORK KNICKS

10-11-2008 10:36 AM #74
      Fire department came to my house wondering what was up with all the smoke this morning.
      Throw something extra on and take it to them. They like that kind of thing.
      Cheers, Adrian

25. 10-11-2008 12:29 PM #75
      Kinda late now that I think about it, but that would def be cool. If I smoke next weekend, I'll take some over. It's just down the road.
      The butt has been on for 4.5hrs and has an internal temp of 148F. Looking nice and reddish already. The rub is pretty spicy. I have a nice sauce waiting for this that I made last night...
      NEW YORK KNICKS

Page 3 of 39 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast