Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: VWvortex Project Car Week: Project Turbunnium: Introduction

1. 07-04-2008 02:30 PM #1

The “Rabbit Test” was the kind of hideous procedure that makes grown men cross their legs just a little bit tighter when they hear about it. Popular during the early 20th century, doctors would inject womens’ urine into the bloodstream of female rabbits. After a few days, the rabbit would get sliced open, and if its ovaries had swollen then the woman was pregnant. She would then go home and excitedly call relatives to tell them that “the rabbit died,” which passed for happy news at a time when the word “pregnant” couldn’t even be said on broadcast radio. That this procedure exists in the first place raises a lot of thoughts, most of them prefaced with “eew” and many of them involving attempts to get my head around someone actually discovering the Rabbit Test in the first place.
      Full story and pictures...

2. 07-04-2008 05:06 PM #2
      146 WHP? I guess it wasn't much of a stretch for VW to bump up the crank HP to 170.

Vehicles
      feet
      07-04-2008 07:40 PM #3
      so is the rabbit getting a turbo? or am i missing something?

4. 07-04-2008 11:47 PM #4
      yeah i feel the same way. i never read anything in the article about putting a turbo on it but it they called it Turbunnium so i just assumed that in the future it would be getting some type of boost...
      Quote, originally posted by dogmavskarma »
      so is the rabbit getting a turbo? or am i missing something?

5. 07-05-2008 10:48 AM #5
      The name is a play on the New Beetle Turbonium; we had a really difficult time coming up with a name for this project. We didn't announce that the car is getting a turbo kit because nothing has been finalized, but after driving the VW/Neuspeed Thunder Bunny (which inspired this project) we'd really like to get some boost. We can't say more than that at this point...

Modified by Cherise@VWvortex at 9:49 AM 7-5-2008

Vehicles
      02 Passat Wagon
      07-05-2008 12:42 PM #6
      Hmmm...given that C2 makes a nice kit now, I would almost count on it.
      I LOVE the sound of the MkV 2.5s with some exhaust work. If I could afford one right now I'd pick one up.

7. 07-05-2008 12:59 PM #7
      aerosmith..sweet emotion
      "can't catch me cause the rabbit done died"
      classic

8. 07-05-2008 04:50 PM #8
      what are the wheels on the already modified car?

9. Old man yelling at cloud
      Vehicles
      2015 Golf SportWagen TDI, 2015 Honda Fit EX, 1970 Honda C70 Super Cub
      07-05-2008 06:02 PM #9
      Quote, originally posted by kofe »
      what are the wheels on the already modified car?

I believe they're Neuspeed RS10s.

They're used by VW as "street" wheels for the Thunder Bunny. When the car is on display, it has the set of custom-made wheels that VW originally designed for the show car:

The other show car that VW has running about, the R GTI, uses Neuspeed wheels as its runabout wheels, too. The one-off show wheels for the R GTI actually cost more each than our Rabbit does, so VW's not too keen on seeing them nicked or curbed.

07-05-2008 07:41 PM #10
      no d/s floormat in the rabbit? what's up with that???
      97 Audi A4 2.8l
      99 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0l
      79 Lincoln continental - eternal project

11. 07-05-2008 10:53 PM #11
      I love the modified Rabbit!! I want one with a similar exterior arrangement!
      What has been done to it?
      Is there a complete thread on that beauty?
      Cant find it in the search.... HELP, I'm in need of knowing more about that sexy aggressive looking beast!
      Its the THUNDER BUNNY!!! Man, Have I been enclosed in a closet all this time... What a beauty...
      I got my answer to my own question! Freaky! haha

Modified by abeaufils at 12:00 AM 7-6-2008

12. Old man yelling at cloud
      Vehicles
      2015 Golf SportWagen TDI, 2015 Honda Fit EX, 1970 Honda C70 Super Cub
      07-06-2008 11:16 AM #12
      Quote, originally posted by firebrat »
      no d/s floormat in the rabbit? what's up with that???

The base Rabbit has power windows and locks, a CD player, A/C, and keyless entry - but floor mats are an extra-cost dealer option. Go figure.

13. 07-07-2008 06:09 PM #13
      i would love to get my hands on those custom mades on the thunder bunny...damn vw..

Vehicles
      2001 VW Jetta VR6, 2006 VW Jetta 2.5
      07-12-2008 11:18 PM #14
      im guessing they didnt mod it yet..... cuz if they did i think they should have said what the mods were and the power gains.
      mujjuman

15. 07-12-2008 11:27 PM #15
      The car currently has only cosmetic and suspension modifications, which we didn't describe because this was simply an introduction. We'll have an update about the body modifications posted next week, before we leave for Waterfest.
      There are some considerable power upgrades forthcoming, but we won't talk about anything here until it's actually installed on the car.

Vehicles
      2007 VW Rabbit - 2010 VW Tiguan
      07-13-2008 10:28 PM #16
      Soooooo you bought a "new" car that was introduced in 2006 and wrote an article describing ancient pregnancy tests and a stock VW.
      Cutting edge stuff. Maybe you should check out the MKV forums, I hear they've already started lowering these things and such...

17. 07-14-2008 09:46 AM #17
      All of our project car series have kicked off with what we call an "introduction," in which we describe the car (sometimes stock, as in this case, but not always), the goals for the project, and our inspiration. That's what we did here.
      As we stated, yes, the car is a year old. When we bought it, we discussed its potential as a project car with VW staffers. The series didn't launch until now in part because I was still enjoying my first brand new car in stock form, and in part because VW said they'd like to provide us with upcoming accessories, which were later delayed in production. These parts were well worth the wait.
      Believe it or not, Wes and I aren't exactly new around here, which could explain why a suspension upgrade was one of our first modifications.