VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Mazda Protege- Tell Me About Them

Vehicles
      2008 Mazda 3
      10-03-2012 02:23 PM #51
      Quote Originally Posted by Fe2O3 View Post
      My 02 shifts smooth as butter. No need to drop $300 in mounts.
      Corksport and a few companies make urethane inserts that pop in to your existing mounts. Total around $140 last I checked.
      I bought the inserts and regret putting them in. It felt like the engine was bolted directly to the frame via only metal bolts. It also added a weird hope when it gets really warm outside. I got rid of one insert in exchange of a new mount, but still have another to take out.

Vehicles
      74 Beetle
      10-03-2012 02:38 PM #52
      Quote Originally Posted by 2.0_Mazda View Post
      I bought the inserts and regret putting them in. It felt like the engine was bolted directly to the frame via only metal bolts. It also added a weird hope when it gets really warm outside. I got rid of one insert in exchange of a new mount, but still have another to take out.
      They come in different "hardnesses", from bone rattling down to near stock. But yeah, I recall lots of people complaining about that.
      Quote Originally Posted by phryxis View Post
      sprayed it on, waited some time, and proceeded to go at it with a scraper, some pliers, and a lot of f-ing hard work.

Vehicles
      2007 Accord EX-L
      10-03-2012 02:56 PM #53
      Quote Originally Posted by Fe2O3 View Post
      They come in different "hardnesses", from bone rattling down to near stock. But yeah, I recall lots of people complaining about that.
      After owning a Protege, it made me appreciate Honda's 4-cylinder engines that much more. The Civics don't have any of the vibration or refinement issues that Mazda had with the old Protege engines.
      Quote Originally Posted by Turbiodiesel!
      It really is the perfect, no excuses all-rounder for the rich guy who's accustomed to having it all - the Hybrid version especially. It's like an F-150 Raptor banged an M5 in the men's room of a biker bar. Nobody really wanted the results, but damn - what a set of genes.

Vehicles
      1991 Volvo 745 n/a
      10-04-2012 05:12 AM #54
      Quote Originally Posted by maskedSONY View Post
      After owning a Protege, it made me appreciate Honda's 4-cylinder engines that much more. The Civics don't have any of the vibration or refinement issues that Mazda had with the old Protege engines.
      A Protege with a Honda K20 and some extra sound deadening would be a nearly ideal car. My Protege really does have excellent steering and handling - in some ways equal or better to my '91 CRX Si.
      Sold: 86 240 DL 4MT+OD, 00 Protege ES, 87 325e, 93 S-10, 91 CRX Si, 99 Neon ACR, 90 Accord Coupe.

Vehicles
      88 F150, 04 RX8, 96 T&C LXi
      10-04-2012 07:30 AM #55
      Quote Originally Posted by maskedSONY View Post
      The DOHC 1.5 in my 97 Protege and SOHC 1.6 in my 90 323 were quite smooth even at fuel cutoff. (shrug)
      The later NVH was probably mainly due to them being largest displacement versions of old engines.
      “Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.”

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123