Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: The Magical Mystery Tour 08

Vehicles
      Scirocco C30 Stingray
      07-18-2008 02:10 PM #71
      Quote, originally posted by two16Vs »

Title says its silver....but here are some pics of a couple of beach bums chillaxxin'....

That's a nice picture.

Quote Originally Posted by Mk1Madness
      Back when making your car faster and better handling was the big thing.
      Quote Originally Posted by Eistreiber
      Yeah, I prefer slow-cooked bacon; and bacon grease saved is great for frying other stuff, adds some good flavor to almost anything. Except maybe tofu, that stuff is beyond help.
      Quote Originally Posted by Tavarish
      The car's best safety feature includes ejecting you in the moment of impact and wishing you the best of luck.

2. 07-18-2008 11:19 PM #72
      Quote, originally posted by Mtl-Marc »

That's a nice picture.

Not yet. I used a tripod and did bracketed shots to learn HDR on... THEN it will be a nice picture. I ahve a few of my new car too. Sorry to be so late posting, and there will be a break in the tour. The possible concepts included picking up an 86 325is in Atlanta as well, which didn't materialize, this was always supposed to be a "two 86" tour (there HAD been a 325is in Talahassee which wasn't that minty fresh), but what can you do? Bimmer sellers are flakes I guess. And another option was for me to head for Philly tomorrow for antiWaterfest parties, but I decided to come home since hubby was mopey. (And I leave for a week at Osh Kosh next Friday, so the tour will carry on...not to mention I REALLY need to get a root canal done Monday)

Anyway, the new addition carried me trouble free for 1600 miles and is without a word of a lie the best long haul car I own. I'll be road tripping a LOT in this one. ** PLUS** it has working AC! Customs was a total breeze, and nobody even came out to look at the car at either US OR Canadian Customs. The Canucks gave me a grilling about how I knew the seller and that ****, but I guess I passed the honesty test. Next hurdle is to "borrow" wheels and tires off her silver jealousy ( the headache) to pass safety, the new one has worn tires. But she has landed immigrant status anyway.

Vehicles
      Multiple Sciroccos and a Jetta Wagon
      07-18-2008 11:28 PM #73

The possible concepts included picking up an 86 325is in Atlanta as well, which didn't materialize, this was always supposed to be a "two 86" tour (there HAD been a 325is in Talahassee which wasn't that minty fresh), but what can you do? Bimmer sellers are flakes I guess.

For the record, 'twas an "es" not the more common "is." I want the sport package and good gas mileage.

Anyway, the new addition carried me trouble free for 1600 miles and is without a word of a lie the best long haul car I own. I'll be road tripping a LOT in this one. ** PLUS** it has working AC!

So I expect I'll be seeing this beastie again in about a week? She can have some nice hangar parking while we're away.

Customs was a total breeze,

Glad to hear it. I ended up putting in a 9 hour day at work, plus some futzing with the Arrow afterwards, and *just* got home from the trek at about 10:00. Glad to be home.... but missing the road-tripping with you already.

Tomorrow will probably be all about test-flying that minty-fresh Lycoming.

Modified by vwdaun at 10:30 PM 7-18-2008

4. 07-18-2008 11:52 PM #74
      Cathy glad you made it back home to Canada

Daun and Cathy, glad I got to see you during this tour

Vehicles
      1973 VW 914, 1986 VW Scirocco, 2010 VW GTI
      07-19-2008 12:01 AM #75

I'll be road tripping a LOT in this one.

Drive it to Toronto this weekend, I want a ride

Quote Originally Posted by Chris16vRocco View Post
      You are a god among men. Or a man among retards, not sure which.

6. Member
      Vehicles
      2004 Infiniti FX35
      07-19-2008 12:47 AM #76
      Quote, originally posted by punchbug »

Dude. I know this is like a page late, but a CONVERTABLE PURPLE SCIROCCO? Does life get any better than THAT? WTF I want one!

I'm sure I had a funny signature, I just can't remember what it was!

Vehicles
      '55 Ford 351C, '80 Typ 17 AAZ, '88 Typ 53b 9A
      07-19-2008 01:11 AM #77
      Yay for having it home and safe in Canada!!!

Working A/C in a droptop?

Lots of VW stuff|Rare Scirocco parts!
      The family: '55 Ford 351C, '70 TR6 262Olds, '80 Rabbit AAZ, '84 C30 350, '86 Scirocco PL, '88 Scirocco 9A, '97 Hardbody KA24E, '01 TJ 150AMC.

Vehicles
      Scirocco C30 Stingray
      07-19-2008 01:16 AM #78
      Quote, originally posted by Konomi »

Dude. I know this is like a page late, but a CONVERTABLE PURPLE SCIROCCO? Does life get any better than THAT? WTF I want one!

The purple convertible was at Cincy this year.

Yeah, I prefer slow-cooked bacon; and bacon grease saved is great for frying other stuff, adds some good flavor to almost anything. Except maybe tofu, that stuff is beyond help.
      The car's best safety feature includes ejecting you in the moment of impact and wishing you the best of luck.

Vehicles
      07-19-2008 01:20 AM #79
      Quote, originally posted by Mtl-Marc »

The purple convertible was at Cincy this year.

And it sure sounds like it will be there next year also

Hope to see you there Amber!

I've got my mind set pretty rock solid on being there with my car

The family: '55 Ford 351C, '70 TR6 262Olds, '80 Rabbit AAZ, '84 C30 350, '86 Scirocco PL, '88 Scirocco 9A, '97 Hardbody KA24E, '01 TJ 150AMC.

10. 07-19-2008 09:26 AM #80
      Quote, originally posted by vwdaun »

For the record, 'twas an "es" not the more common "is." I want the sport package and good gas mileage.

So I expect I'll be seeing this beastie again in about a week? She can have some nice hangar parking while we're away.

Glad to hear it. I ended up putting in a 9 hour day at work, plus some futzing with the Arrow afterwards, and *just* got home from the trek at about 10:00. Glad to be home.... but missing the road-tripping with you already.

Tomorrow will probably be all about test-flying that minty-fresh Lycoming.

Modified by vwdaun at 10:30 PM 7-18-2008

Yeah, duh. I knew that is was an es. Pardon me, that post was after touring Belgium to the tune of 750 mL, and a trip to Quebec on the trip home from Belgium.

And as for another roader in the new gal, yeah, if I can get her some Ontario plates this week, yep.

And here's hoping the Arrow flies well after all that time on her. I'll post pics of her in a minute.

Vehicles
      07-19-2008 11:15 AM #81

Yeah, duh. I knew that is was an es. Pardon me, that post was after touring Belgium to the tune of 750 mL, and a trip to Quebec on the trip home from Belgium.

Bwahahaha!!!! Worked up a thirst on the trip 'eh?

And here's hoping the Arrow flies well after all that time on her. I'll post pics of her in a minute.

We'll see. I wanted to get going with it early in the day, but someone is just *now* in the shower....

12. 07-19-2008 12:00 PM #82
      Quote, originally posted by Konomi »

It does!!! As you well know, it's the green MkIs that hold the special place. Gotta get the "family" back together by the end of the summer eh? THIS is what happens when your MkI is laid up, so beware of it...it could happen to you! I'm off again soon, but I will post more pics....but this dialup is really sucking. PLus there are other evil plans afoot that require other family members to use the bandwidth. It's the year of the convertible in this household, looks like the boy should have a parcel arriving around August 3. He laughed, when he finalized the shipping and selected "Volkswagen" as the make. This one's german, but not a VW for a change . A pretty sweet change too. So there will be more pics for some time to come....but I'll still like my 'vert better. Though I feel like i somehow stole this car, I keep pinching myself.

Oh, and it's "dudette" not dude eh?

Vehicles
      07-19-2008 10:53 PM #83
      August 3rd 'eh? Coool.

And no test flying on the Arrow today. We thought we had sourced that big oil leak, but no.... finally got it taken care of this afternoon. Oh, and the alternator now actually charges too.

It's cowled and ready to fly, so if it's decent tomorrow......

Vehicles
      a few Sciroccos & a MG
      07-20-2008 04:53 AM #84
      great photo

look forward to seeing the rest of the beach photos

Quote Originally Posted by Racinger View Post
      VWs are known around the world to be some of the most dependable and long lasting vehicles. The "unreliable VW" is an American myth.
      78 Scirocco GTi, 80 Scirocco Storm RHD, 88 Scirocco GT 16v

54 MG TF 1250 RHD

15. 07-20-2008 07:55 AM #85
      Quote, originally posted by California 16v »
      great photo

look forward to seeing the rest of the beach photos

Hey! Why don't we ALL change our screen names eh?

Vehicles
      Scirocco C30 Stingray
      07-20-2008 09:11 AM #86

17. 07-20-2008 10:08 AM #87
      Okay, here's another one: Uploading them slowly...

A few more of the "beach" shots:

Modified by two16Vs at 7:21 AM 7-20-2008

18. 07-20-2008 11:28 AM #88
      Had to get a souvenir keychain to go with my big purple Florida souvenir:

Proof that the "big souvenir" IS really silver:

This thread needs MOAR CATS:

No, really, it does.... :

Okay, here are a bunch of road shots:
      The sign says "Ex-wife got the big house":

This 'vert is a bit better ventilated than mine:

And this one's not as purple as mine, but it's still sexy as hell:

Modified by two16Vs at 8:23 AM 7-20-2008

19. 07-20-2008 12:10 PM #89

Yeah! Sounds like fun!

Nice convertible Cathy.

Vehicles
      07-20-2008 02:23 PM #90

I think I'll stick with mine I'm glad you were able to pick that convertible up though, I couldn't think of a better home for it!

Vehicles
      a few Sciroccos & a MG
      07-20-2008 02:40 PM #91

I've been thinking about changing my sceen name for awhile, since Christmas time, but didn't do it until yesterday.

thanks for beach photos, they're great

VWs are known around the world to be some of the most dependable and long lasting vehicles. The "unreliable VW" is an American myth.

54 MG TF 1250 RHD

22. 07-20-2008 04:25 PM #92

I've been thinking about changing my sceen name for awhile, since Christmas time, but didn't do it until yesterday.

thanks for beach photos, they're great

I'll have to burn a disc for you and ElT once I get my life sorted out a bit. Trying to clean up my garage today, it's such a mess, tranny cases all over, a few blocks and just random stuff that needs sorting. So that's the fun for today. I'll post more pics tonight. Oh, and there will be film images from the beach too, but I doubt I'll hit the darkroom till after Track Day North, I'm just not home very much, the tour resumes on Friday, 6am! Oh and Happy Birthday again eh?

Vehicles
      07-20-2008 11:25 PM #93

the tour resumes on Friday, 6am!

Wooo hoooo!!!!

Lovin' the pics Cathy, it was definitely a fun trip. Hopefully Part II will be just as fun!

On that note btw, put two hours on the Arrow today. Temps / pressures were all excellent, and only used a half-quart of oil. More tomorrow weather permitting.

Vehicles
      07-20-2008 11:52 PM #94

On that note btw, put two hours on the Arrow today. Temps / pressures were all excellent, and only used a half-quart of oil. More tomorrow weather permitting.

Nice Daun! That's good news!

25. 07-21-2008 12:15 AM #95

Wooo hoooo!!!!

Lovin' the pics Cathy, it was definitely a fun trip. Hopefully Part II will be just as fun!

Glad to hear the Arrow is behaving. I still have more pics to post, but I live in telecommunications hell and our main phone line is out of commission due to heavy rains. Interwebby line's still sort of working. Add to the helping the kid with a hundred-and-something pinouts for his TDI swap and you get the picture. Anyway, since we also have no cell service, and my phone's still in Clearwater....so, yeah...:

Vehicles
      [OO==w==OO]
      07-21-2008 12:22 AM #96
      Cathy, that car is actually starting to grow on me. I mean, it's still urple and all but I'm starting to appreciate it. I'd even go so far as to say that I'm happy that you picked it up, urple or not.

Have fun with that car, not many know what it is. Just paint it silver.

Red Leader - Team Infidel
      The Price of 7reedom is the Willingness 2 do Sudden Battle Anywhere, Anytime an6 With Utter Recklessness
      -Heinlein

27. 07-21-2008 12:28 AM #97
      Quote, originally posted by veetarded »
      Cathy, that car is actually starting to grow on me. I mean, it's still urple and all but I'm starting to appreciate it. I'd even go so far as to say that I'm happy that you picked it up, urple or not.

Have fun with that car, not many know what it is. Just paint it silver.

But I like the purpleness of the car.... and I already have a silver one! I must admit, it's taking a while to get used to the colour blast in the garage though, the normal German palette doesn't get so adventurous. I had no idea there were so many purple haters out there...but do I care? The colour actually changes quite a bit in different light:

Modified by two16Vs at 8:32 PM 7-20-2008

Vehicles
      a few Sciroccos & a MG
      07-21-2008 12:40 AM #98

Anyway, since we also have no cell service, and my phone's still in Clearwater....so, yeah...:

ouch , are they mailing to the phone to you or are getting a new one?

54 MG TF 1250 RHD

Vehicles
      [OO==w==OO]
      07-21-2008 12:43 AM #99

See what I mean there?

Good score. Couldn't have went to a better home.

Red Leader - Team Infidel
      The Price of 7reedom is the Willingness 2 do Sudden Battle Anywhere, Anytime an6 With Utter Recklessness
      -Heinlein

30. 07-21-2008 07:50 AM #100

ouch , are they mailing to the phone to you or are getting a new one?

I hope Daun asked her to send it to Wilmington, but he has yet to confirm that. Need to know basis I guess. It sucks because nobody can reach me since I'm not at work, and my two other primary numbers are down for he count. Like this morning, is it VFR or not? No idea what it's doing there (save for NavCanada's site which loads slowly).
      Anyway, here are a few more from the road:
      Yep, I was in the south:

Daun took this road trip classic!:

Went from an elevation of 0' to about 1000'ASL on this trip, largely through this section of Tennessee:

Okay, more yet to come...give me a minute, or an hour or two...

31. 07-21-2008 08:46 AM #101
      Here are some more. I discovered that the car clashes badly with the awful waffle:

That number turned up a few more times on this leg of the trip:

And THIS was the BEST!!!!:

Oh yeah, fifty three miles to "there"

So why not stop in to the dealership and look at convertibles? (This Eos felt GINORMOUS!!):

Here's the new one looking at the bloatware in the lot. It all looked really HUGE!

Okay, gotta fly. Later then...

Modified by two16Vs at 9:38 AM 7-21-2008

Vehicles
      things broken
      07-21-2008 09:16 AM #102
      Quote, originally posted by G-rocco »

Are you posting from Wyoming?

Aye, I was.

Nice new 'vert there, Cath!

1981 Scirocco
      2010 Sportwagen TDI

Portland, OR

Vehicles
      Scirocco C30 Stingray
      07-21-2008 09:28 AM #103
      Cool car!

Vehicles
      07-21-2008 11:23 PM #104
      WTH? This thread was on page two this evening. We can't have that. Yet anyway.

So I took like four pictures on this trip. Here are 75% of them.

Cathy, all dressed up for the wedding. Pretty nice 'eh?

On the flight south:

And of course, Cathy in her new favorite place:

Vehicles
      '78 CE Antje, '81 S 16v Rommel, 3x other Mk1 Sciroccos. No Kias here...
      07-22-2008 01:00 AM #105
      Cathy; nice score on the convert!! Saw an earlier post on this thread, something about a having a ragtop in Canada and so how many weeks a year are you going to be able to drive it (implied: with top down)...

If you'd like I can probab'ly "liberate" a limited amount of ECW gear from McMurdo this season, thus makes the answer "year-round". The hats look a bit goofy but will keep ears warm... and there's just actually something really cool (in a non-conformist way, nor literal "cool") about shoving the top back and going for a nice afternoon's drive in February with the occasional snowflake drifting dwon out of a grey sky. BTDT; Fiat X-1/9 up Trail Ridge (Rocky Mountain National Park) late one October night years ago... fun drive.

Comment on Purpleness via IM.

"By Endurance We Conquer" - Family motto of Sir Ernest Shackleton

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast