Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: how do i bleed air out of cooling system?

1. 07-20-2008 12:41 PM #1
      I have a 04 jetta and doing a coolant flush. I cannot find the bleeder valve! How do i bleed the air in the system? I seem to have a lot of air and causing me to overheat.

2. 07-20-2008 04:39 PM #2
      i have a 2004 jetta. just did a coolant flush and can't get the air out. the upper and lower radiator gets hot,and i have heat coming out. AC works fine. idles at 190 deg. as soon as i start driving, the car overheats. is there a bleeder valve on this car?

3. 07-20-2008 05:02 PM #3
      have you tried taking the top off the coolant res while its running?

4. 07-20-2008 05:19 PM #4
      yes, i left it running with the top off, engine running blasting the heat. Then i closed it, drove around the block and started overheating. Then I parked it, opened the tank again slowly, and the coolant starts rising and ready to explode so i have to vent it slowly. I could hear bubbles in the lines when I shut the engine off.

5. 07-20-2008 06:09 PM #5
      do you have a 50/50 mix of coolant and water? It sounds like the boiling point is too low.

6. 07-20-2008 06:24 PM #6
      can you tell me out to properly bleed it? is there a bleeder screw or something?

7. 07-20-2008 06:33 PM #7
      Quote, originally posted by 04silverjetta »
      can you tell me out to properly bleed it? is there a bleeder screw or something?

run the car with the coolant top off so air can blead out of it. Add coolant as needed. May take 10 minutes or so.

8. 07-23-2008 11:56 AM #8
      update: I went back to it the day after. The coolant in the tank was gone. I'm thinking it filled up throughout the system. I poured some more in to the MIN for now. I left the cap off, started the car and warmed it up to 190. The car stayed at 190, but the coolant level started going up and down and overflowed at times. Then it started smoking so i shut it off. I had heat coming out, the temp was stable at 190 and the lower radiator hose was cold, unlike last time.

Will this be a thermostat issue or could it be as bad as a waterpump? Can anyone tell me where the thermostat is located?

9. 07-23-2008 11:58 AM #9
      last time when the lower radiator hose was hot, i had driven it for about a mile and started overheating.

Vehicles
      2004 GLI 02M; 1997 Ford F-150
      07-23-2008 05:51 PM #10
      If it is holding the temp at 190 sometimes and not at others, then it is your thermostat.
      Please vote for a Maestro Tuning Sub-Forum!
      PM me for Bentley repair manual PDF.

11. 07-23-2008 07:16 PM #11
      thermostat and/or waterpump.
      whats your mileage?

my friend has an 04 jetta, he's had the waterpump replaced twice already.

the correct method for bleading air out:

since there is no bleeder valve, leave the cap off until car gets to temp. if your thermostat works you'll see the coolant level drop, then rise again after a few minutes, that means your thermostat is working. you should notice some coolant flowing from the return line, that means your waterpump is working. masage coolant hoses by hand. the process should take about 15 min. fill it to level, cap it then drive around, check levels again.
      it's your waterpump if, the temp lowers at idles or stops, raises while driving/cruising.

12. 07-24-2008 09:37 AM #12
      it sounds like it's the waterpupmp. mileage is at 55k. i'm gonna change the thermostat and see what happens. What else should I do if I have to end up replacing the water pump?

13. 07-24-2008 12:18 PM #13
      timing belt and everything related to that. expect to pay around $800 to get it done.

Vehicles
      A few...
      07-24-2008 02:10 PM #14
      Quote, originally posted by thejordan »
      timing belt and everything related to that. expect to pay around $800 to get it done.

unless of course, you can do it yourself and save 500

Project GTi-R:. '04 R32 Chassis w/ 1.8t transplant in the werks
      '01 Audi TTQ Roadster: QED motor, Pag 35R vband, spec twin, enormous amount of go fast
      '03 GTI: Gutted, Parted & Transplanted
      '04 F250 6.0: 72mm turbo, 60 psi stupid fast for 8k lbs, sold to ejg3855
      '13 F150 Ecoboost: Ordered, Rec'd, Triple Black, Tow Truck for other Vehicles.

15. 07-24-2008 06:31 PM #15
      can someone please tell me where the thermostat is? how much should i expect to pay?

16. 07-24-2008 06:35 PM #16
      Quote, originally posted by 04silverjetta »
      can someone please tell me where the thermostat is? how much should i expect to pay?

Thermostat is on the front of the block right behind the alternator. It is inside the plastic coolant neck attached to the block there. It's honestly not that difficult of a job to replace the thermostat as long as you have figured out the right combo of u-joints and extensions to get to the two bolts.

Vehicles
      Big Turbo 04' GLI & 10' TDI Touareg
      07-24-2008 06:39 PM #17
      That plastic impeller on your pump is probably broken. T/Stat is obviously the cheapest to do, so start with that. If you get the same results, you know its your pump. If you are going to do a pump, go the ECS Tuning to get the entire kit which includes the upgraded metal impeller. Worth every penny!

18. 07-24-2008 07:52 PM #18
      Quote, originally posted by theswoleguy »

unless of course, you can do it yourself and save 500

obviously, thats what i did, but i doubt that's a solution for him.

Vehicles
      '08 Jetta 2.5 '02 GTI 337 '97 BMW 328i
      07-24-2008 10:12 PM #19
      I didn't see anyone mention it but when you replace the thermostat stick your hand into the hole and you can feel the waterpump to see if its broken.

Modified by TooLFan46n2 at 10:14 PM 7-24-2008
      GTi 337 Edition ~ 322WHP 270WTQ
      {PPT T3/T4 50 TRIM .63 Haldex Kit - Eurodyne Maestro - 630cc Injectors - IE Rods - AEB Head w/ VVT - CAT Cam Gear - Walbro Inline - Audi S3 Gearbox - Peloquin Diff - SouthBend STGIII Clutch - .:R32 LCA's/Spindles/Rack - Ksport Audi TT Coilovers - 25mm R32 FSB - 28mm RSB - Porsche BBK - Eurojet FMIC - FSI Coils - 2 Stage Boostvalve - HKS SSQV }

20. 07-25-2008 10:18 AM #20
      well, i just did the timing belt for my a4 and had to take the front end off, but the jetta is retarded. the belts are all on the side. how do i get the most work room to access the pump? is there a writeup for this model?

21. 07-25-2008 10:20 AM #21
      what kind of feeling should you get from a broken waterpump?

22. 07-25-2008 11:56 AM #22
      here's the timing belt/ water pump DIY

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=2840728

I recommend reading the ones for the other engines as well so that you better your understanding.

To get to everything you actually have to unmount the engine on one side and jack it up. Its about 3-5 hours depending on your competency (more for noobs). This isn't the easiest job and if you screw up your engine may be toast.

Remember, if you try to feel down for the waterpump (which i'm not sure is possible or easy to feel) your waterpump can still be broken. The waterpump breaks in 2 different ways: Either the plastic fins fall off or the shaft breaks so it doesn't spin.

****Do your preventative maintenance****

23. 07-28-2008 03:47 PM #23
      Quote, originally posted by veedubwolfsburg »

It's honestly not that difficult of a job to replace the thermostat as long as you have figured out the right combo of u-joints and extensions to get to the two bolts.

That pretty much is the whole job! How the hell do i get to the bottom one? How many u joints did u use and what angle did yall attack it from?

Also, should i even bother to take the hose off the plastic tube? prob not necessary, huh?

24. 07-24-2011 06:03 PM #24
      hi all i'm new here.

99.5 jetta 2.0L GLS

i have this same issue but somewhat different.

i replaced wp, thermostat. then i wanted to flush system with distilled water - with tank cap off.

on day 1 after replacements, i wanted to flush system with distilled water. reservoir tank took it down and temp gauge went to middle and high temp light went on...but fans didn't turn on. i ran it for 5 min but fans didn't turn on. top hose was hot/pressurized, bottom hose to t-stat was also hot. no leaks in system.

on day 2, i noticed liquid level in reservoir went down a bit more so i started engine and added more distilled water. fluid returned to tank as pink (old coolant) and fans would not turn on yet, only this time the temp gauge needle did not go up at all (stayed at 0) and high temp indicator light was flashing. also, top hose very hot and pressurized but bottom hose towards t-stat remained cool this time.

on day 3, liquid level of tank was at max level, i turned on car and ran it for a bit but again needle would not move from 0; fans would not turn on. fluid returned to tank again raising the level, and after a couple minutes; high temp light activated. again top hose very hot/pressurized but lower hose towards t-stat remained cool.

can the difference between day 1 vs day 2 & 3 be simply due to of trapped air? there is definitely a circulation problem but why won't temp gauge needle climb after day 1?

any suggestions would be great.

-.-

25. 07-24-2011 06:29 PM #25
      Are you guys driving these things during the burping process and not just idling them? I've never gotten air leaks out of the system w/out actually getting onto a highway and romping a little before going back over everything to squeek more air out. Seems to be the only way my car will work that crap out.
      MK4 Junker : PAG 50trim Kit : AEB : RMR : Eurodyne
      P.P.T. - Pag Parts Turbo
      B6 A4 : Slow

26. 07-25-2011 03:22 PM #26
      my jetta is not driveable at the moment (expired license plate and sticker) and also i need to adjust timing belt tensioner (it's too tight).

regarding burping:

on day 4, i drained distilled water and added mixed g12+distilled water (50/50).

turned on engine for 7-10 min.

new observations:

1. no heat from HVAC system (air is cool).

2. high temp indicator light now does NOT come on (due to proper coolant mixture).

3. check engine light does not come on (should have mentioned this earlier, it never came on).

4. temp gauge needle remains at zero (won't climb at all)

some observations from previous days continue: top hose from engine to radiator is pressurized and hot; bottom hose from radiator to t-stat is cool and not pressurized...oh and fans still won't turn on.

any suggestions would be appreciated.

-.-
      Last edited by aeligos; 07-25-2011 at 03:26 PM.

27. 08-26-2011 04:37 PM #27
      Quote Originally Posted by screwball View Post
      Are you guys driving these things during the burping process and not just idling them? I've never gotten air leaks out of the system w/out actually getting onto a highway and romping a little before going back over everything to squeek more air out. Seems to be the only way my car will work that crap out.
      How do you drive around if your car's overheating? That's the problem I have with my 99 vw beetle. I flushed the coolant system and refilled it, however now I can't get the fans to come on because I think the air in the system is preventing the hot coolant from reaching the temperature sensors, thus preventing the fans from kicking in.

28. 08-26-2011 05:26 PM #28
      that makes almost no sense.
      MK4 Junker : PAG 50trim Kit : AEB : RMR : Eurodyne
      P.P.T. - Pag Parts Turbo
      B6 A4 : Slow

29. 08-26-2011 06:47 PM #29
      Quote Originally Posted by screwball View Post
      that makes almost no sense.
      What I'm trying to say simply is that I flushed the cooling system and refilled the expansion tank with coolant. I then started the car and let it run. I even took it for a spin down the block. The car overheated and the fans never came on.

Vehicles
      2002 VW GTI 1.8 BT
      08-26-2011 06:53 PM #30
      I found that if you park uphill like on a driveway, get the car warm, then while the engine is running unplug the upper radiator hose (while wearing thick gloves..cause steam will come out) wait for radiator fluid to come out, then push it back on the radiator.

If a nice steam bubble gets trapped in the heater core its kinda tricky to get out.

While you're doing that make sure that your coolant res has plenty of fluid in it the whole time. Never let it go empty during this process or you may introduce new air bubbles.

Also, my personal theory...

If I ever overheat I replace the radiator fluid. It seems that once you go over boiling your mixture of g12 : water is all screwed up and your boiling points and whatnot are never right again. Flush the whole system and replace with 50/50 water/g12.
      My Build
      My FAQ / DIY Thread -- Look here for 90% of the questions you have

Welcome to the world of racing! Budgets are ALWAYS exceeded, deadlines are never meet, end-goals never reached, and wives always unhappy... it's all worth it though!

Vehicles
      Mk4 Jetta 1.8T
      08-26-2011 07:10 PM #31
      Ive been through all this with my 04 and I promise your WP is toast. They have em in stock at Advance Auto Parts for like 68 dollars and I did the job myself. But you must order some G12 coolant from VW or somewhere. the blue BMW cooland or any other kind will solidify and ruin your car. I did it my self with a pizza and a few hours and If you PM me ill let you use my Bentley Manual.
      Quicker than a nuns first curry.
      Quote Originally Posted by Murderface View Post
      I am DTF a DTM car.
      Yes....yes I am.

Vehicles
      2001.5/Audi/A4
      08-27-2011 02:16 AM #32
      I just recently did my water pump and timing belt on my a4. To bleed the air out of the system i was told to pull one of the heater hoses slightly back from the heater core and there was a small pen sized hole for bleeding out air.

33. 08-29-2011 10:01 AM #34
      Dude, 1st properly bleed the air out of the system, since you were only trying to coolant flush the system.

No where in this thread have you indicated why, however many people have lead you to think that you have a bad waterpump and or thermostat.

Was the reason for the coolant flush because your car was overheating or just maintenance?

34. 08-29-2011 01:17 PM #35
      I have an 04 jetta 1.8t, I was driving for about 5 minutes when the temp guage pinned and the CEL came on. I popped the hood and the engine was barely even warm. Coolant seemed low, so i went to the closest gas station and bought some coolant and added some to the expansion tank.

Later read you can't mix coolants, crap - need to flush out the green stuff.

I got a new engine temp sensor from the dealer.

To drain i took the top off the expansion tank, pulled out the rad drain plug and turned the car on. While idling i ran about 1 gallon of distilled water through until the water coming from the drain was clear.

After coolant stopped running out of the drain i replaced the ECT sensor.

With car running I poured my 50/50 mix of g12 into the expansion tank with the drain plug open until only the light pink mix was coming out then shut the plug, filled tank up and let car run for a few minutes, topped off as needed then closed the lid.

Took car around the block - still overheating.

Got the thermostat from the dealer, replaced the thermostat - lost about a pint of coolant in the process, refilled the tank and let the engine warm up - temp was at 190 but as soon as i started driving the temp gauge started climbing again.

After reading it seems i didn't do the coolant flush properly - i didn't bleed air anytime and i didn't disconnect any hoses just pulled the plug on the bottom of the rad.

Do i need to flush the coolant and start over with disconnecting hoses and bleeding the air or can i just pull the hose to bleed the air from where i am now?

Also - with heat on full blast i never get heat - does that mean air pocket?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast